Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upkeeping of grounds, but how?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Am moving into a new rented house, and am meant to sign the lease tomorrow, but the landlord won't change the line in it where I have to maintain the lawns, footpaths , driveways and hedgerow. I have argued that I cannot to this as i don't own lawnmowers or hedgecutters etc.

It's the first time i've ever had a place that doesn't come with even a lawnmower , my argument is that I have no issue whatsoever in maintaing his property for him as long as he supplys the equipment to do it with.
    I am paying him a nice price and am damned if I going to pay for a gardener to come in an maintain his place at my expense also...

Have I a point or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If youre not happy with the lease then dont sign it.

If he agrees to provide the equipment do not sign the lease until it has been bought and delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

would like not to sign the lease but have to be out of my place by end of tomorrow and if I can't solve this issue with him then I'm a bit stuck to go and find a new place before tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Well you can argue the point with the landlord (and I agree with you for what its worth) but ultimately it comes down to whether or not they are prepared to bend on the clause or you are prepared to accept it. If a compromize cannot be found and you do not like the terms of the lease then your only option is to not sign it and move on.

Depending on the property it may well be worth calling the landlords bluff and letting them see that you are prepared to walk away. Depending on how easily they will relet the place they might just give in and remove the clause from the lease.

Advertisement