Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lunch

Options
  • 31-10-2012 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

So I am looking for suggestions for a non traditional xmas lunch main course. Basically every year I buy turkey which I only eat when it is hot. Then it's never used again. Most of it goes to the dogs. I was thinking of having something a little different. one possibility is beef wellington. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dont' start experimenting with a new dish on Christmas Day if you have never done it before - it could end in disaster.

I find Beef Wellington extremely rich, and don't get all the hype about it. I would much prefer a regular roast beef - a really good cut - on the rare side - if I had to pick an alternative.

However Christmas is not Christmas without a turkey and ham for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dont' start experimenting with a new dish on Christmas Day if you have never done it before - it could end in disaster.

I find Beef Wellington extremely rich, and don't get all the hype about it. I would much prefer a regular roast beef - a really good cut - on the rare side - if I had to pick an alternative.

However Christmas is not Christmas without a turkey and ham for me.

+1 to this

I'd also be very much on the same page as fishy fishy when it comes to it not being Christmas without a turkey and ham. Would you not consider getting a small Turkey so that there would be very little left that would go to waste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

Well I could always do a test run of the beef wellington :D
    There would also be other people there who would eat it regardless of whether I wanted it.
    As for the turkey, I am really picky about the meat I eat. Of the turkey I won't eat legs or anything. The only thing I will have is turkey breast. Usually bought the crown of turkey from marks but I would feel a little weird spending 55euro on a relatively small piece of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

My ideal Christmas dinner would be roast lamb, roast parsnips, glazed carrots, fried brussels sprouts, mash and gravy. mmmmmmm Trouble is the other half and the kids insist on the turkey!
    (You could always roast the fillet instead of going to the bother of making it into a Beef Wellington)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

For me, I would have to have turkey or it's just not Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

The lamb idea sounds good. Mouth is kind of watering. Thinking about a roast but for me it is too much of a 'Sunday dinner in mammy's house" kind of thing. Just thought something different but not too out there would be nice to try.
    I did have some braised lamb with coffee chipotle sauce in boston. That was good.
    I am so fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

get your butcher to bone and roll the turkey for you. That way you will have lovely lean slices and there is no fuss or waste. You can get a ham that is cooked already or you could go for the nice ones in Marks and Spencer - again, no fuss, no waste.

Lamb would be the last choice for me for Christmas - I would get mixed up and start looking for easter eggs under the christmas tree. :D

Roasted Parsnips - YUM. put them in a separate dish and drizzle with honey or maple syrup. To die for.

Advertisement