Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Hook-ups

• 31-10-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

A thread over in LGBT made me think about this, an awful lot of gay men use sites like gaydar, grindr and manhunt to hook-up for No Strings Attached (NSA) sex so much so that it's nearly accepted to do it or at least if you see on a profile "NSA only" or "not into NSA" you know exactly what they mean.

So I'm wondering good people of AH, in particular the straight people and straight women, do straight people do this? and is it just because it's harder for straight people as women are afraid of being branded a slut? I don't mean any offence I just wonder that if you don't do it, does that make gay men more sexually liberated than straight people because they see it as satisfying a physical urge like scratching an itch!!! Oh and I'm not talking about hooking up with someone on a night out and having a one night stand I'm talking about 2 people talking on line agree for one to go to the other's house, they go in strip off have sex, get cleaned up and go home not even sleeping together you know?

So please enlighten me with the views of AH!

EDIT: the thread is intended to be tongue-in cheek so please anyone who is ridiculously PC don't get up on your high horses about the poll option for the gays!

Do you do online NSA sex 33 votes

I'm a straight man and I do it all the time
    0% 0 votes
    I'm a straight woman and I do it all the time
    21% 7 votes
    I'm a straight man and I would never do it
    6% 2 votes
    I'm a straight woman and I would never do it
    48% 16 votes
    I'm gay so we all know I do it!!!!!
    24% 8 votes

Comments

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Short answer... No. All men wish it was possible though

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

Yup.

To which part?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

by the amount of adds for sexsearch and adult friend finder that i've seen, constantly showing pictures of the same women, I'd recon it doesn't happen. Otherwise there'd be different women in their ads all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

2 options: I do it all the time or I would never do it... what about those who would be willing to give it a try?

• Advertisement

OK serious answer -

Something I find quite funny is the stigma that is associated with online dating (for NSA or anything else), yet people seem to find having one night stands with people on night outs perfectly acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I don't need an App to get laid. Most people have some sort of "fcuk buddy"to rely on, failing that if the itch is bad enough, people will get it scratched.

I would argue that it is possibly easier for a female to initiate and succeed in bedding a randomer than a male.

smash wrote: »
    2 options: I do it all the time or I would never do it... what about those who would be willing to give it a try?

The question is do you do it? not would you do it? they are very seperate options!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Someone who I used to work with (who was married at the time) openly discussed the antics of a website called benaughty. She told me that people go on there looking purely for no strings sex and the likes. That people would organise to meet in car parks for a bit of nookie and be on their merry way.

I was really shocked, but it seems its true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

rochey84 wrote: »
    The question is do you do it? not would you do it? they are very seperate options!!!

not when it's

"I'm a straight man and I would never do it"

Could very easily be, I'm straight, interested, just haven't done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I want to have sex with someone who gives a **** about me and I her and preferably someone I got to know a bit first.

So no, I don't want NSA sex - if I did I'd pay for it (not something I've ever done mind).

Yea, and they don't make sense. It's like saying "Oranges, do you eat them all the time or would you never eat one?" There are people who would try or have tried in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm stuck in Sligo for the next hour if anyone* wants to hook up.

*not starbelgrade

Where To wrote: »

*not starbelgrade

Ya weren't on my compatibility list (or whatever you call it).

So - no :)

Where To wrote: »

*not starbelgrade

Somewhere right now starbelgrade is crying into his cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

girl2 wrote: »
    Ya weren't on my compatibility list (or whatever you call it).

So - no :)

He'll drop you home afterwards tho - but then charge you for the lift :( :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

No. It seems like a very risky proposition for women to meet up with a stranger they have never met before in a private location.

kfallon wrote: »
    He'll drop you home afterwards tho - but then charge you for the lift :( :P

Strangely enough you were :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I want to have sex with someone who gives a **** about me and I her and preferably someone I got to know a bit first.

So no, I don't want NSA sex - if I did I'd pay for it (not something I've ever done mind).

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

I know of a straight man who is into this kind of thing.

He says the particular site he visits, single woman are more popular and can get up 200+ offers a day! :eek:

• Advertisement

EMTFlynn wrote: »

He says the particular site he visits, single woman are more popular and can get up 200+ offers a day! :eek:
    He's lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

EMTFlynn wrote: »

The women get 200+ offers? What's strange about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

How about changing your poll options. Not all gay people think or act the same way. Some do, some don't.

And yes, gay men are more sexually liberated. Gay sex is taboo itself, so once you get over that taboo, the rest of them are easier to overcome.

But it's not like we're crazed sex fiends or anything. Straight men want sex just as much. Gay men don't have to deal with the same taboos and bull**** though that straight people have constructed about sex.

By that I mean there's lots of straight men who want lots of easy no strings sex. But because a lot of the same guys will call any girl who gives it to them a slut, girls are made to feel like they need to keep their legs shut - even though they might also like the occasional no strings fling.

And gay men are generally more open to the online thing just because it can be a lot harder to meet partners in traditional settings than it is for straight people.

I'm sure a lot of that applies for lesbians too, but lesbian mating habits is not something I'm that knowledgable on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

I'll try most things once... and as someone else said, you meet a lad/lady on a night out and head home together for a bit of fun, same difference no?

It mightn't be for everyone but if your both consenting adults and have your wits about you, why not?!

Edit: Bad poll, what about those who would be willing? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

straight people don't do it because women
    20260622 wrote: »

Was thinking the same

floggg wrote: »
    How about changing your poll options. Not all gay people think or act the same way. Some do, some don't.

And yes, gay men are more sexually liberated. Gay sex is taboo itself, so once you get over that taboo, the rest of them are easier to overcome.

But it's not like we're crazed sex fiends or anything. Straight men want sex just as much. Gay men don't have to deal with the same taboos and bull**** though that straight people have constructed about sex.

By that I mean there's lots of straight men who want lots of easy no strings sex. But because a lot of the same guys will call any girl who gives it to them a slut, girls are made to feel like they need to keep their legs shut - even though they might also like the occasional no strings fling.

And gay men are generally more open to the online thing just because it can be a lot harder to meet partners in traditional settings than it is for straight people.

I'm sure a lot of that applies for lesbians too, but lesbian mating habits is not something I'm that knowledgable on.

The gay option was thrown up there as tongue in cheek as the majority of people see gay men as being promiscuious and yes you're right I should have included the gay women as an option!

The whole thread is kind of tongue in cheek to be fair, we're Irish we don't like to discuss our sex life!

I'll try most things once... and as someone else said, you meet a lad/lady on a night out and head home together for a bit of fun, same difference no?

It mightn't be for everyone but if your both consenting adults and have your wits about you, why not?!

I don't think it is the same as a lot of my female friends that have had one night stands tend to sleep in the house of the conquest and then go on to somewhat blame the drink.

I'm talking about being sober going into the house of a stranger having sex and straight after going home. So the night out scenario is not relavent really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

The whole thread is kind of tongue in cheek to be fair, we're Irish we don't like to discuss our sex life!

Wanna bet? You haven't met some of my mates :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Someone who I used to work with (who was married at the time) openly discussed the antics of a website called benaughty. She told me that people go on there looking purely for no strings sex and the likes. That people would organise to meet in car parks for a bit of nookie and be on their merry way.

I was really shocked, but it seems its true.

I think you may have a very one sided view, it's not quite as simple as " hey you there let's fúck, in the car park of tesco, tonight." altho that maybe the case for dogging.. but anyway..

i'll fill you in later on...;)

• Advertisement

we're Irish we don't like to discuss our sex life!

Wanna bet? You haven't met some of my mates :D[/QUOTE]

again, it was tongue in-cheek, Does anyone know how to edit the poll?

The gay option was thrown up there as tongue in cheek as the majority of people see gay men as being promiscuious and yes you're right I should have included the gay women as an option!

Fair play for enforcing the stereotype then.*

* admittedly I would have to vote yes myself, but there's plenty of gay men I know who wouldn't.

Edit - that probably reads bitchier than intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

smash wrote: »
    He's lying.

Unfortunately not.

It depends on the woman and if she is verified as a genuine person/account and how many pictures of herself she posts.

I have seeing the site for myself :o

Fair play for enforcing the stereotype then.*

* admittedly I would have to vote yes myself, but there's plenty of gay men I know who wouldn't.

Seriously, I spend more time trying to dispell stereotypes about gay people I thought that the one place on the internet where a gay man could be tongue-in cheek would be here on AH. I'm trying to edit the poll if someone could tell me how to do it I would be very grateful!!!

I don't think it is the same as a lot of my female friends that have had one night stands tend to sleep in the house of the conquest and then go on to somewhat blame the drink.

I'm talking about being sober going into the house of a stranger having sex and straight after going home. So the night out scenario is not relavent really!

They blame the drink. That doesn't mean the drink made them do it. Drink just gives an excuse/courage to do something they wanted but for whatever reason weren't brave enough to do sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

In all the years I've been acting the prick, i would never expect any girl to turn up at my door, for a **** straight off the bat, and then leave right away ..

No matter what people want the conversation, and want to know both parties are not mental, axe wielding psycho's !

• Advertisement

Seriously, I spend more time trying to dispell stereotypes about gay people I thought that the one place on the internet where a gay man could be tongue-in cheek would be here on AH. I'm trying to edit the poll if someone could tell me how to do it I would be very grateful!!!

See edit above. It came across bitchier than intended.

In all the years I've been acting the prick, i would never expect any girl to turn up at my door, for a **** straight off the bat, and then leave right away ..

No matter what people want the conversation, and want to know both parties are not mental, axe wielding psycho's !

I think it is presumed that the chatting takes place online and the risk is taken, maybe the risk is the turn on???

See edit above. It came across bitchier than intended.

Ok apologies for getting all defensive, just thought that the thread could be a bit of fun really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

OK serious answer -

Something I find quite funny is the stigma that is associated with online dating (for NSA or anything else), yet people seem to find having one night stands with people on night outs perfectly acceptable.
    I think the fact that you're not advertising for NSA makes it seem more acceptable. Look at the thread about playing hard to get - some people think a girl is a slut if they have sex on the first night and would not see them again.

Strangely enough you were :eek:

I was what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I was what? :confused:
    On her boards matching list, Romeo :cool:

On her boards matching list, Romeo :cool:

Oh! Sorry for your troubles girl2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Let's face it, in cities etc gay men have a smorgasboard of dick out there available 24/7, especially with the internet etc. It's because they are men, and have dicks. Women's attitudes to sex aren't the same, they're not into pumping away on any old piece of flesh as much as men are. If they were, straight men and women would be having as much NSA sex as gays, group sex, going to dark rooms in saunas etc.
    Some of the stories my gay friends tell me here are just jaw dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What? :confused:

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Some of the stories my gay friends tell me here are just jaw dropping locking.

FYP :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

FYP :pac:

Don't get it. But yeah I do go home and jerk off thinking about the stories, not sure what says about my sexuality :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

If you walk up to the Spire and lean against it with the back of your left foot and put your left hand in your left trouser pocket while making sure the palm of your right hand is facing outwards, you'll look gay and be offered sex on the spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I thought that the one place on the internet where a gay man could be tongue-in cheek would be here on AH.

Ewwwwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly? I did it a bit when I was single and had fairly mixed experiences. Most were just one-night stands, some ended up as FWB, others weren't able to separate their emotions from sex and it ended quite messily. Never encountered any axe murderers or total psychos though. Worst case was a woman who kept texting me for months afterwards looking for me to rescue her from an abusive marriage despite telling me she was single when we hooked up!

Advertisement