Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple seek site in exchange for work

• 31-10-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This would need planning permission and suitable drainage arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aldernay

Yes, I know, thanks for your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

To be honest, I can't see anyone offering you such a site for little reward besides a little handiwork. A site of such size especially if it's with road frontage would be worth between 50000 and 100000 despite the recession. It would need to be reasonably fertile also for growing veg so not rough/wet land.
    Would you consider renting a small cottage with a decent sized garden? There should be lots of old houses that mightn't be done up to the standard urban dwellers might expect in rural areas that someone might rent to trustworthy tenants for not too excessive rent. Maybe if you were to put a bit of work into it, the landlord might let you off some of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aldernay

?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Aldernay wrote: »
    The idea is not to keep the land. The idea is to just borrow a place to put our moibile. Many farms have this arrangements - whereby you can move into a mobile for a couple of years in exchange for work. We have already been offered exactly this - twice, but unfortunately just not in the areas we are willing to move to.

Thank you for the ideas though. We are willing to look at all sorts of ideas.

Fair enough but by allowing you to put a mobile home on a site and live there for free with your plot of veg etc without any sort of lease or rental agreement, the owner is practically giving away the piece of land and after a number of years you might be able to claim title to it. I mean, if you were so minded and refused to leave down the line and you hadn't been paying rent etc, the owner might have a tough time getting his land back. I know you probably have the best of intentions but the owner would be leaving himself open legally.

To be honest, I'm from a rural area and I live in a rural area now in another part of the country and I've never heard of this sort of a situation where someone was allowed live on a piece of land in a mobile home for a bit of handiwork now and again. I don't know of any farmer that would ever dream of giving away a piece of land for such an arrangement. Maybe it's something that just happens locally where you are from.

However, best of luck with it and I hope that you get sorted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement