Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz Vs Poundland

Options
  • 31-10-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I see that another rip off is taking place and expanding in the Republic under the news guise of "providing more jobs"
    Dealz is part of the massively profitable Poundland group and anyone who has been to Northern Ireland knows it's a great place to buy every conceivable thing for A POUND!!. However these shops are moving into Ireland where the same stuff can be bought for ONE EURO 49 CENTS €1.49.
    A whopping 25 cents more per item.. No wonder they are "delighted" to move here.. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1020/1224325506642.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we have higher labour costs, higher rent and utilities than NI

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

As said above costs in Ireland are a lot higher than the UK.

Zigomar wrote: »
    A whopping 25 cents more per item.

I just got the rate of my bank for £1 and it is €1.26

1.49 – 15.4% is 1.26 so not even near 25%. You must have something against them to make false statements like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks for the warning. 4x500mls of coke is €4.50 in tesco & superquinn. I was telling my mate how cheap it was in dealz at only €1.49 for 4x500ml, just under 1/3rd the going rate in usual supermarkets. He was delighted but now I know its a total rip off so will warn him.
    Even if all that was much lower, they would be complete & utter idiots not to charge what the local market will bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I see that another rip off is taking place and expanding in the Republic under the news guise of "providing more jobs"
    Dealz is part of the massively profitable Poundland group and anyone who has been to Northern Ireland knows it's a great place to buy every conceivable thing for A POUND!!. However these shops are moving into Ireland where the same stuff can be bought for ONE EURO 49 CENTS €1.49.
    A whopping 25 cents more per item.. No wonder they are "delighted" to move here.. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1020/1224325506642.html
    Sure i could always drive up all the way from Cork to Newry and drive all the way back,to save myself the guts of twenty quid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Not another silly comparison.

This has been flogged out god knows how many times. England is not Ireland. As has been pointed out by others, wages are higher here, Vat is higher here, rates are higher here. The costs of doing business here is a lot more than the UK so it is only reasonable that there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

As said above costs in Ireland are a lot higher than the UK.

I just got the rate of my bank for £1 and it is €1.26

1.49 – 15.4% is 1.26 so not even near 25%. You must have something against them to make false statements like this.

He said 25 cent, not 25%. Get it right if you are going to correct someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Zigomar

I would generally agree with that statement, particularly on wage costs, but the rental overheads they got are favourable e.g.: Dundrum compared to some of their sites in Belfast i.e. on the main st. I'm just sick of big differentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cans of coke 3 for £1 in Poundland, 4 for €1.49 in Deals

just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I would generally agree with that statement, particularly on wage costs, but the rental overheads they got are favourable e.g.: Dundrum compared to some of their sites in Belfast i.e. on the main st. I'm just sick of big differentials.

Dundrum would be one of the more expensive places in the city to rent a premisis, even in the old Centre, as footfall and passing trade is massive, couple that with a Lidl as an anchor tennant and pretty decent public transport routes, I'd say it could be dearer that most other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Yet another post picking a few items and applying the difference across the board.

I'mnot afan of dealz but their pricing is on par with poundland on many products.
    There are exceptions positive and negative, such as 3 for £1 and 4 for €1.49, or biscuits that have 13.5% vat here and 0 in uk, or the number of items that are in the irish stores thatare not in uk stores.

As for the unbranded tat, itsexpensive at 99p too

• Advertisement

4 cans of coke for 1.49 notting wrong with that or a slab for 8.99 either i love dealz for sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Why don't you look at the prices in other shops within Ireland and compare their prices to the ones in Dealz? It might be 25c more expensive than the UK but a whole load cheaper than other Irish stores within Ireland.

Love Dealz got a HDMI cable the other day for my xbox for €1.49 can't beat that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

In poundland you only get 3 can for one £1.YOu get 4 for 1.49 in dealz.so it's a better deal I believe in dealz ??!!!

Advertisement