Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband ONLY

Options
  • 31-10-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Moving to a new house, I want to get Eircom broadband but I do not want nor will I make use of a landline (so don't want to pay for one).

Can I get broadband alone from Eircom without having to add on a phone bundle? The house has a phone line etc installed.

Thanks,

Redrag

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

RedRag wrote: »
    Hi,

Moving to a new house, I want to get Eircom broadband but I do not want nor will I make use of a landline (so don't want to pay for one).

Can I get broadband alone from Eircom without having to add on a phone bundle? The house has a phone line etc installed.

Thanks,

Redrag

Hi RedRag,

As the broadband service is provided on the telephone line. A line / account has to be connected in order to get broadband with eircom.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Hi RedRag,

As the broadband service is provided on the telephone line. A line / account has to be connected in order to get broadband with eircom.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I understand the broadband service is provided on the telephone line. My question is can I pay for broadband alone (and prob line rental charge)?
    Surely Eircom can differentiate between voice and data usage on the line, otherwise how would you know when a user has reached their download allowance. For me it doesn't make sense to pay for a landline that will not be used.

Regards,

Redrag

Hi Mark,

I understand the broadband service is provided on the telephone line. My question is can I pay for broadband alone (and prob line rental charge)?
    Surely Eircom can differentiate between voice and data usage on the line, otherwise how would you know when a user has reached their download allowance. For me it doesn't make sense to pay for a landline that will not be used.

Regards,

Redrag

Hi RedRag,

I appreciate your point the telephone line and broadband are different services. However as the line needs to be activated for the broadband service to be provided. The two services needed to be charged (although you may not need the phone to make / receive calls) It is being used fir the broadband signal. So there is no broadband only option available I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

That's unfortunate. Thanks for taking the time to address the question, I appreciate it.

Redrag

That's unfortunate. Thanks for taking the time to address the question, I appreciate it.

Redrag

No problem,

Regards, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Damosmurf

I'm in a similar position. I also want only broadband.
    You say that Eircom can't provide this service, however their main competitor Vodafone offers a simply broadband service. So why can't eircom do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Damosmurf

Unfortunately I cannot comment on other providers packages but I have had a look into this and can confirm that we cannot offer standalone broadband as eircom broadband works over an eircom line.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Vodafone offers only broadband type of connection but this is only for marketing reasons (i guess) for people that want only broadband.

However you can connect your phone to this 'only broadband' and make calls, but I think they do not include any available minutes.

In my case I had only broadband, and than switched to similar product that includes some available minutes (same broadband + minutes + lower price as broadband only) however I don't even have a phone (just router for broadband).

Advertisement