Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epoxy putty

• 31-10-2012 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I had a copper pipe develop a 4mm long 1mm wide hole in a really confined and awkward space.

A few inches from the hole is a "T". I tried to undo the fittings on the T to replace the section of pipe but it's nearly impossible without ripping out floorboards and a piece of wall upstairs to get proper access.

So in the end I used some epoxy putty I had to cover the hole and surrounding pipe. JML Fix it stuff.

How good is this stuff long term? Would you trust it as a permanent fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've used that stuff before for an emergency repair and even at that not in a critical location. I'm not a plumber but I do carry out any domestic plumbing repairs required in my own house, so in saying that I'd never rely on epoxy as a permanent fix- far better to look at carrying out a proper repair, the epoxy buys you time (to shop around for the bits and pieces you need to do a proper job!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I had a copper pipe develop a 4mm long 1mm wide hole in a really confined and awkward space.

A few inches from the hole is a "T". I tried to undo the fittings on the T to replace the section of pipe but it's nearly impossible without ripping out floorboards and a piece of wall upstairs to get proper access.

So in the end I used some epoxy putty I had to cover the hole and surrounding pipe. JML Fix it stuff.

How good is this stuff long term? Would you trust it as a permanent fix?

There is a fibreglass repair patch that you can buy in any diy store for plumbing leaks.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Patches-Rapid-Repair-Patch-Small-150mm-x-75mm/13301/6.0.7

You cut it to size,soak it on water,wring it out,wrap it tight around the crack,split,hole and you leave it to dry.

It makes a watertight permanent seal,and you can then sit back and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

If you can reach enough to get the putty in place then you might have room to use a small pipe cutter. You wil only need about an inch around the pipe. Then use push fittings to do the repair.

I would be inclined to leave the putty in place for now though. I used some of this to repair a leaking radiator on a jeep two years ago and it is still going strong, so I'd have confidence in the putty once it has bonded properly to the pipe.

Advertisement