Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Seat Comfort??

Options
  • 31-10-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking for some advice (again! !)

The seats in the back of our van are not the most comfortable to travel long distance on. People complain that the seats are "very square" and they are forever trying to put pillows/cushions behind their backs etc to make the journey a little more comfortable. As the driver, I tend to deal with this by turning up the radio :D

Anybody got any advice as to how to make the factory built (2 facing 2)rear seats more comfy for long distance driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blagadan

Funny... I've only been reading up on this very subject. You're not alone!
    "Back seat" passenger comfort seems to be down the list of priorities for camper designers. Our old wagon is no exception. I'm looking at redesigning the seats in the back of ours to make it more comfortable for the kids. The crux of the issue is these seats are typically designed to be a bed primarily and a seat secondary, so messing with one usually effects the other.

The biggest improvement I've read about to date is using "memory foam". Not sure where to get it yet, but it'll be my next step...

Best of luck in your endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Was more thinking of a "tempory" fix while travelling rather than a redesign/rebuild of the seat. There must be a "foam shell" of sorts that can sit onto the seat to give back support etc.........kinda like a kid seat except it just has lower back support and perhaps slight support above/behind knees

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Malta1 wrote: »
    Was more thinking of a "tempory" fix while travelling rather than a redesign/rebuild of the seat. There must be a "foam shell" of sorts that can sit onto the seat to give back support etc.........kinda like a kid seat except it just has lower back support and perhaps slight support above/behind knees
    You could look out for those office chair wedges that lidl and aldi do fro time to time.

endacl wrote: »
    You could look out for those office chair wedges that lidl and aldi do fro time to time.

Good thinking Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My wife has back problems even the drivers seat with adjustable lumbar support isn't good enough.

99% of the cushions ,lumbar supports etc are a complete joke.

We got a proper one from fannin healthcare about 10 years ago and it goes everwhere with us. Its only finally fraying now after 10 years. http://www.homecaremedicalsupplies.ie/Product/Backfriend-By-MEDesign/296404/9.1.2

Wouldn't exactly describe it as comfortable but never a twinge even with long journeys.

It cost 80 punts at the time so 75 euro looks like a great price.

• Advertisement

Hi Paddyp
    Something along those lines might just work.......assume that it folds and doesnt take up much storage space?

Now to see if one can be got "cheaper" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Malta1 wrote: »
    Hi Paddyp
    Something along those lines might just work.......assume that it folds and doesnt take up much storage space?

Now to see if one can be got "cheaper" ;)

Seem to be making 40 sterling regularly second hand on ebay uk and 75 on donedeal.

Was thinking if your cushions are very soft it might tip forward.

If you have a healthcare place like fannin anywhere near you they might let you try it out.

They do fold and the handle makes them easy to move around.

The inside seems to be grp or someking of fibre reinforce polyester not cheap plastic, its really take a beating over the years.

Advertisement