Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sorry I'm overloaded Bud'

Options
  • 31-10-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

So I was waiting for a bus in city centre this morning. Bus pulls up, 6-8 people get off...I'm the only person looking to get on and I get this 'Sorry I'm overloaded Bud' barked at me by the driver!

Seriously...if you were overloaded and 6-8 people get off you have room for 1 more to get on.

:mad:

Appalling example of DBs customer service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Maybe the bus was. People have a propensity to barge onto a bus at stops regardless of an instruction to not board from the driver; he's not in a great position to remove them when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Maybe the bus was. People have a propensity to barge onto a bus at stops regardless of an instruction to not board from the driver; he's not in a great position to remove them when it happens.

Thats ridiculous, the fact that 6-8 people got off and only one is getting on means in terms of the amount of passengers he has on bord is better so why refuse.

Blatant disregard for passenger, should be struck for a day without pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Mellio wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous, the fact that 6-8 people got off and only one is getting on means in terms of the amount of passengers he has on bord is better so why refuse.

Re-read by reply again for the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

for abiding by the limit of the amount of people allowed on the bus? yeah good man

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

It is not for you to decide the appropriate disciplinary measure for a bus driver for an incident at which you were not even present. Arrogant, jumped-up little twat.

• Advertisement

very angry people, must be bus drivers. :D

etchyed wrote: »
    It is not for you to decide the appropriate disciplinary measure for a bus driver for an incident at which you were not even present. Arrogant, jumped-up little twat.

You have no right to call me arrogant, jumped up little twat cos you dont even know me but you did, now that makes you right because?

everything in this life is perception and opinion.

I was just creating reaction it obviously worked.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No need for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

daheff wrote: »
    So I was waiting for a bus in city centre this morning. Bus pulls up, 6-8 people get off...I'm the only person looking to get on and I get this 'Sorry I'm overloaded Bud' barked at me by the driver!

Seriously...if you were overloaded and 6-8 people get off you have room for 1 more to get on.

:mad:

Appalling example of DBs customer service

What tends to happen sometimes at busy stops when the bus is nearly full is that people start to make their way upstairs which may allready be full and by the time they realise there are no seats the lower saloon is then full hence you have an overloaded bus.

The driver will then address this at the next stop by just allowing people off and no one on.

Most of the time there is a legitimate reason why things happen!!!

I was just creating reaction it obviously worked.;)
    Well that seems like a pretty obnoxious way to conduct yourself on a public forum.
    Tickityboo wrote: »
    Most of the time there is a legitimate reason why things happen!!!
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

The driver is driving on his own licence and is therefore entitled to decide who gets on.If you don't like it OP, buy a car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

repsol wrote: »
    The driver is driving on his own licence and is therefore entitled to decide who gets on.If you don't like it OP, buy a car

I have a car...but because public transport is being pushed as a viable alternative in this country (by taking away car lanes to be bus only), it is (marginally) cheaper and quicker for me to get public transport
    for abiding by the limit of the amount of people allowed on the bus? yeah good man

But hes already gone over the limit of people allowed on the bus...why let them on but not me?

also I'm fairly sure that there were not 15 people standing after the people got off at my stop...so there should have been space for me to get on

Well that seems like a pretty obnoxious way to conduct yourself on a public forum.

Indeed.

Wasn't trying to be obnoxious just gave an opinion as you would on a forum and got verbal abuse back. I had to defend myself in some way.

I like many people Im sure who have had situations at bus stops, there were many times where I have ran for the bus and got to the door and had the door closed in my face and ingored. I guess thats ok as well.

Dont have a personal gripe against bus men/women as i have a couple of friends who are bus drivers and there sound people, I just felt for the person who had probably just waited 20 minutes for a bus to get to work and be told after 8 people getting off that he couldnt get on, I can understand his frustration.

For the people who beleive life is just black and white and rules are stook to by everyone, I find that quite funny. There are many situations in life where people shall we say bend the rules slightly if it suits but when we have disussions like this being right is all that counts and human empathy goes out the window.

Anyway I apologise for sounding a bit obnoxious or arrogant in this instance, was defo not trying to be. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I like many people Im sure who have had situations at bus stops, there were many times where I have ran for the bus and got to the door and had the door closed in my face and ingored. I guess thats ok as well.

For the people who beleive life is just black and white and rules are stook to by everyone, I find that quite funny. There are many situations in life where people shall we say bend the rules slightly if it suits but when we have disussions like this being right is all that counts and human empathy goes out the window.

In the course of a normal working week,I would regularly be in a position of having to dynamically manage my passenger load.

Depending upon the vehicle I'm driving,my pasengers could well have to distribute themselves back almost 12 metres and over 90 seats as well as various nooks and crannies to stand or lean against.

This invariably takes some time to happen,particularly with the single door operation,which is why I am a BIG (6`7" ;)) fan of multiple door operation.

For me,driving a bus is the easiest part of the job,the real work revolves around short-circuiting the vast propensity of most people to ignore the basic principle of Public Transport.....it's for The Public...as many of them as possible,which makes it downright devious and selfish to board a bus and immediately clamp oneself onto the luggage pen,thereby forcing every other passenger,boarding or alighting,to squeeze past you.

Added to this is the reluctance of folks to head upstairs when that location is empty,preferring to crowd around the bottom of the stairs to ensure that nobody else gets to enter the viewing lounge either.

These elements and more all conspire to ensure that I will leave several intending passengers goldfishing at some stops,but that,s the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Unfortunately,capacity issues are now cropping up on many routes as the effects of a fleet reduction of c.200 vehicles and 350 drivers finally percolates through.

If those 200 buses were available for peak requirements it would provide a spot capacity of c.14,800 people.

It's now noticeable that the collapse in passenger numbers has slowed,if not stopped altogether,with many routes now drifting back to 3-bells (ie: Full Bus) during peaks.

It also appears that Government is unaware of the correlation between the recession,Public Transport and sustainability,as the message remains very firmly one of NO expansion in terms of routes,resources or ethos.

It's worth noting the seating capacity of the new GT class @ 68 as against the 72 of the RV's now being rapidly withdrawn....downsizing being taken to it's limits ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In the course of a normal working week,I would regularly be in a position of having to dynamically manage my passenger load.

Depending upon the vehicle I'm driving,my pasengers could well have to distribute themselves back almost 12 metres and over 90 seats as well as various nooks and crannies to stand or lean against.

This invariably takes some time to happen,particularly with the single door operation,which is why I am a BIG (6`7" ;)) fan of multiple door operation.

For me,driving a bus is the easiest part of the job,the real work revolves around short-circuiting the vast propensity of most people to ignore the basic principle of Public Transport.....it's for The Public...as many of them as possible,which makes it downright devious and selfish to board a bus and immediately clamp oneself onto the luggage pen,thereby forcing every other passenger,boarding or alighting,to squeeze past you.

Added to this is the reluctance of folks to head upstairs when that location is empty,preferring to crowd around the bottom of the stairs to ensure that nobody else gets to enter the viewing lounge either.

These elements and more all conspire to ensure that I will leave several intending passengers goldfishing at some stops,but that,s the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Unfortunately,capacity issues are now cropping up on many routes as the effects of a fleet reduction of c.200 vehicles and 350 drivers finally percolates through.

If those 200 buses were available for peak requirements it would provide a spot capacity of c.14,800 people.

It's now noticeable that the collapse in passenger numbers has slowed,if not stopped altogether,with many routes now drifting back to 3-bells (ie: Full Bus) during peaks.

It also appears that Government is unaware of the correlation between the recession,Public Transport and sustainability,as the message remains very firmly one of NO expansion in terms of routes,resources or ethos.

It's worth noting the seating capacity of the new GT class @ 68 as against the 72 of the RV's now being rapidly withdrawn....downsizing being taken to it's limits ?

I hate the clampers who block everyone, I tend to try and drop the shoulder slightly into them as I go past accidentally.

With regard to the downstairs standees, I have to say I used to hear drivers say quite regularly - seats upstairs, please move upstairs - but haven't heard that in ages, suppose with the proliferation of ipods/mp3 players they mightn't be heard now.

Do you think the new buses with the monitors at the bottom of the stairs have helped in that regard? Or have you not had a new bus yet?

Also if the middle doors were being opened at all it might discourage people from congregating near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I

people who stand downstairs when there's seats upstairs are c*nts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Until Dublin bus start pulling over and refusing to move until the various knackers smoking, playing music and shagging on the top deck get off I'll continue to to be a cents thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Until Dublin bus start pulling over and refusing to move until the various knackers smoking, playing music and shagging on the top deck get off I'll continue to to be a cents thanks.

True to a point.

However,it's my experience that very little smoking,shagging or bongo-playing goes on at 0745 of a midweek morning,which tends to be one of the best time to witnes self-centredness in fullest flight !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

True to a point.

However,it's my experience that very little smoking,shagging or bongo-playing goes on at 0745 of a midweek morning,which tends to be one of the best time to witnes self-centredness in fullest flight !

I'm a student I wasnt even aware of this 0745 you speak of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That sounds suspiciously like managment speak :eek:

Has AlekSmart left his comrade drivers and joined the bosses in the depot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Special mention must go to those who neglect to take off a backpack while boarding/standing on the bus. :) I noticed signs forbidding this in Bratislava (or maybe it was Budapest)

Wasn't trying to be obnoxious just gave an opinion as you would on a forum and got verbal abuse back. I had to defend myself in some way.

Nobody's saying it is.
    Dont have a personal gripe against bus men/women as i have a couple of friends who are bus drivers and there sound people, I just felt for the person who had probably just waited 20 minutes for a bus to get to work and be told after 8 people getting off that he couldnt get on, I can understand his frustration.
    I'm very familiar with the feeling, believe me.
    I will repeat that you know nothing of the reasons for the bus driver in question doing what he did.
    Anyway I apologise for sounding a bit obnoxious or arrogant in this instance, was defo not trying to be. :D
    Thanks for apologising. Of course I shouldn't have resorted to personal abuse, but I find it immensely frustrating when people make comments like "should be struck for a day without pay". It's just really not your place to pass down judgements like that. Where's the "human empathy" in your jumping to conclusions about the motivation of the driver? Also, I'm not a bus driver, nor do I know any. Accusations of that nature are extremely childish and demonstrate a very poor capacity for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible that the bus originated from an outer suburban area where the service is scant. The driver may have allowed himself to go over the quota rather than leaving people stranded in the knowledge that further on down the road several more routes operate giving more options for passengers.

He may have allowed a few to disembark at the OP's stop, but, as he was still overloaded, he may have believed the OP would not be left stranded for as long as the previous passengers could have been.

It's just a thought.

Nobody's saying it is.

I'm very familiar with the feeling, believe me.

I will repeat that you know nothing of the reasons for the bus driver in question doing what he did.

Thanks for apologising. Of course I shouldn't have resorted to personal abuse, but I find it immensely frustrating when people make comments like "should be struck for a day without pay". It's just really not your place to pass down judgements like that. Where's the "human empathy" in your jumping to conclusions about the motivation of the driver? Also, I'm not a bus driver, nor do I know any. Accusations of that nature are extremely childish and demonstrate a very poor capacity for debate.

Is that your idea an apology, and you call me childish when you went on a personal rant towards someone you dont know.

I am not going to say any more on this but still you feel the need to get at me and unless you have anything further to say on the OP's situation I suggest you direct nothing else towards me directly. stick to the topic not someone elses comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

daheff wrote: »
    I have a car...but because public transport is being pushed as a viable alternative in this country (by taking away car lanes to be bus only), it is (marginally) cheaper and quicker for me to get public transport

But hes already gone over the limit of people allowed on the bus...why let them on but not me?

also I'm fairly sure that there were not 15 people standing after the people got off at my stop...so there should have been space for me to get on

The bus would have a capacity limit, to which the driver would be required to adhere to. As alluded to in other posts it may well have become overloaded at previous stops, the drivers options would then be
    a. Get some passengers to get off the bus....yeah like anyone is gonna volunteer so the bus stays stationary and effectively out of service

b. Continue allowing people off but not on until capacity is at the proper level

Now which do you suppose is the more logical choice though not necessarily legal one

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

The last time i tackled this i was informed by one passenger that they had a fear of heights. As a driver you can't win if you do and can't win if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

The last time i tackled this i was informed by one passenger that they had a fear of heights. As a driver you can't win if you do and can't win if you dont.

Theres no requirement to sit if a seat is available. Some people dont want to go to the top deck as there is more antisocial behaviour there. Some people just want to stand. Just a few reasons why people will stand.

A good driver will see that there are seats on top, allow people on and tell them of the availability of seats on top as they get on! A bad or lazy driver will just say that the bus is full and not let people on.

I don't buy the idea that its ok to be overloaded going by stops where there is an infrequent service but not where there is one. Its like saying its fine to break the speed limit in one place but not another. The rules are the rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Victor wrote: »
    No need for personal abuse.

Gwan Victor ya legend

Advertisement