Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Fencing

• 31-10-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Ive a year old Samoyed and I need new fencing for her run. At the moment I've a big kennel inside a pen which is 12 x 6ft at a guess. The timbers at the bottom of the pen on the ground, are rotting away after 3 years I guess, so she is easily able pull the wire off it.
    This is purely for sleeping in, as she is either in the house or out around during the day. I had another dog with her but he passed a few months ago. Since then she tries to get out every night, chewing through the fence, or by whatever means necessary.
    Can anyone recommend solutions to new types of fencing, want something that will last a good few years. I was thinking something like this, but €500 is way outside my budget!
    http://www.brennanfencing.com/dog-pens.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cheapest thing to do would be to keep her in the house at night, is that an option? Maybe with a crate to contain her?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

No that's not an option Im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes in the house during the day then why not at night, whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Long term you are better off with a galvanised run, if you have to start replacing fencing wire every few years then it'd would be cheaper in the long run and more secure to have a galvanised run, you could always by a few panels and add on as time goes by, if you have a wall to put the run up against that saves a lot of money so you only need 2 side panels and a gate. Sometimes they are for sale second hand so keep an eye out on the ads pages as well.

Other option is taking off the rotten timbers and replacing sections of the run with timber posts/frame and chainlink wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I sourced used builders security fencing and used concrete blocks at the base to make it difficult to dig at. 40 quid a piece, three metres long by two metres high with an unbarbed top. You can get pieces of scaffolding pipe ad sink them into the ground and slot the panels into them. They aren't the prettiest but they do the job. I lined my grass run with bark to keep it and the dog clean. Six panels, which is a nice size run, plus bark and fittings came to just over 300. Four would probably do for a night run where the dog isn't confined beyond the night. I sourced mine in Cork and I'd know of at least three or four builders yars that are selling these off. Donedeal would be a good source too. Labour wise it took me no longer than three hours and its spacious clean and sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Probably not what you are looking for but building a good solid timber based fence\run could be an affordable solution?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77487627&postcount=5

Advertisement