Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there more people going missing?

• 31-10-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the two appeals at the top of the forum for missing people and really hope that they're both found safe and sound. This seems to be something that is happening more and more frequently and hardly a week goes by without seeing posters up in the City Centre or Facebook appeals for information on missing people.

Is it a case that more people are disappearing or is it just that social media has made these kinds of appeals and pleas for information more visible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Missing person cases are always highlighted, but it does seem to be happening more. One of these cases is a 30 y/o woman, not a teenager.

These two cases happened within a 40 minute drive of each other. I'm not suggesting there's a link and I hope Aoife is found safe and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I think it's more related to the increase in suicides lately for various reasons including one of the cases you mention. Somehow I don't think there is a mass murderer out there.

People have always disappeared. Sometimes they simply go away somewhere. But mostly they kill themselves and the body is either never found or is found much later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Media is more flexible and approachable these days. I recon that's why we see more of it.

There was a lad who went missing my way 10 years ago that hadn't made the news. But could possibly have ended up here, if it was to happen today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is it a case that more people are disappearing or is it just that social media has made these kinds of appeals and pleas for information more visible?

I think the answer lies in the second part of your question, and certainly hope it does. The rise in social media makes it easier to highlight such cases.

For some years now in the US and elsewhere the sides of milk and juice cartons have been used to carry appeals for missing people.

I hope the Aoife is located soon, safe & sound.
    RIP Cormac, thoughts are with your family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Lapin wrote: »
    I hope the two people at the top of this page are lacated soon, safe & sound.
    I'm pretty sure has been found and it's not good news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

bluecode wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure has been found and it's not good news.

Just reading that now. RIP.

I assumed because the thread was still up that he was still missing.

I heard nothing on the news about him being found.

Advertisement