Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí on Segways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Paul Blart - Mall Cop, that is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Whatways? Give us back the good aul days of gards arriving en masse in transit vans and beating the sch1te out of scumbags.

Segway is gheyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why are they wearing helmets? I thought they were designed so you don't fall off them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Paul Blart - Mall Cop, that is all!

Ah here- dont give them *that* much credit ffs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

The guy who owned the Segway company died on one - not the greatest of PR moves.

• Advertisement

Why are they wearing helmets? I thought they were designed so you don't fall off them?
    They are. But people will always fall off things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Lazy Sh*ts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They were donated to AGS by the Dublin business association so cost the state nothing and they have proven effective in some 300 other cities around the world. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Whats wrong with bikes or simply walking?

That would bring down a severe case of blue flu, think of all the bellies and giant arses that would be lost through exercise :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What they really need is lasers.

Pew Pew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dublin Airport Police have has these gizmos for years btw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The guy who owned the Segway company died on one - not the greatest of PR moves.

1) He bought out the company that did.
    2) He went over a cliff on it. I'm sure the results would be the same if he walked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

2 Segways.. surely this heralds the end of crime in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

They'll make good door stops back at the station.

After the "grand unveiling" I'd be surprised to see any on the streets - a bit like the Gardai in general.

If they are chasing somebody who runs up/down stairs, what do they do then? Bit of an old Dalek problem really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Quite possibly the most ridiculous form of wheeled transport since the Reliant Robin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

grafton street is too crowded to use them their methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Quite possibly the most ridiculous form of wheeled transport since the Reliant Robin.

That.
    As personal means of transport, they may make sense to individuals. But for supposed figures of authority, I've got my doubts.
    Maybe the hope is the criminals will laugh so hard they won't be able to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I would have thought a bike would be more effective. The cops involved would get much needed exercise as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Where do Segways fit into the rules of the road? Are they powered bicycles? Can they use the pavement? If they are on the road should they not have indicators, mirrors, tax and insurance? Can they be fitted with umberellas when it rains? Decerning minds need to know this stuff.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Where do Segways fit into the rules of the road? Are they powered bicycles? Can they use the pavement? If they are on the road should they not have indicators, mirrors, tax and insurance? Can they be fitted with umberellas when it rains? Decerning minds need to know this stuff.

I believe they are not categorised in the rules of the road.

They are not technically legal on the footpath or public roads and can only be used on private property.

I would classify them somewhere between an electric scooter and pensioners mobility vehicle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RainMaker wrote: »
    They'll make good door stops back at the station.

After the "grand unveiling" I'd be surprised to see any on the streets - a bit like the Gardai in general.

If they are chasing somebody who runs up/down stairs, what do they do then? Bit of an old Dalek problem really!

They get off them obviously. Hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Haha, designed for the lazy person.. What happens when the cop has to get off and run after someone.... will he be too fat to run from using a segway for so long! or it that the reason USA cops use them in the first place...

At least we know where all our tax money is being spent now.. helping cops become more lazy. Waste of money, next they will be using them on the jogging machines in the gym cause who needs to run when you got a segway!.. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What exactly are the benefits of these as opposed to bicycles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Shenshen wrote: »
    That.
    As personal means of transport, they may make sense to individuals. But for supposed figures of authority, I've got my doubts.
    Maybe the hope is the criminals will laugh so hard they won't be able to run?

Grhhhh After hours doesn;t allow pictures

http://www.odditycentral.com/funny/segway-special-forces.html

You can run over the criminals foot to stop them.

Actually, how many feet do you think would get squashed if there was a chase down grafton or henry street

You can run over the criminals foot to stop them.

Actually, how many feet do you think would get squashed if there was a chase down grafton or henry street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldGoat wrote: »
    With mobility scooters I think as long as they can't go over 15mph they're not classed as a vehicle. Although all those scooters seems to have all the necessary lights but I think that's the competition in the industry that makes all manufacturers fit the lights.
    No, they ramp of the steps in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Theres no legislation that allows segways currently, private use only in Ireland. I know because I was looking into it recently. So either they won't be used, will only be used in private areas, or they will be illegally used, interesting. http://www.segway.ie/?id=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The next phase. :)

[YOUTUB.E]Project Puma[/YOUTUBE]

If I wanted to drive a wheelie bin I'd have done it by now!

I'd love to see Special Branch on Segways. They'd be so intimidating.

They should be outlawed, on the basis that they look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought these were against the law apart from in places like the Phoenix Park and the like?

If the gardaí get them I want them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I don't see any lights or sirens that bikes have on them. Will they shout Neee Nahhh if they have to get anywhere fast.

But in fairness, I thought the whole idea for Segways is that they are for patrol purposes not for pursuit. They can cover a much larger area than walking on the beat. If they need to catch anyone whilst on patrol, I'm assuming they just do what they would if they were on foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I think people are just going to try floor gardai on them. Also, I give it 1 month until they're are stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Dublin City Business Association has donated two segways to Dublin’s Gardaí in a move that will strike terror into fat criminals the city over.

Ironically, if they use the segways enough, they'll be too fat to get off and make an arrest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

800px-Airport_Police_on_a_Segway_i2_patrol_Dublin_Airports_Terminal_2.PNG

Dublin Airport Police

Lapin wrote: »
    800px-Airport_Police_on_a_Segway_i2_patrol_Dublin_Airports_Terminal_2.PNG

Dublin Airport Police

Smooth floors everywhere vs. kerbs and pavements like corrugated iron.
    I can't see this working practically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

And then the segway gets robbed while they are chasing on foot :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Smooth floors everywhere vs. kerbs and pavements like corrugated iron.
    I can't see this working practically.

Same here. I just threw that pic up for a look.

I think they are a gimmick and a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Glorified ticket dispensers.
    And egg magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I don't really get the advantage of these.

They go 19kph top speed. So that's faster than walking but way slower than sprinting, so no use in chasing anyone. Also not fast enough to use the roads to travel by.

They are more mobile than a car, but about as mobile as a bike, yet way slower, and they're motorised, therefore cost money to run.

Am I missing something? They hover?

Ormus wrote: »
    I don't really get the advantage of these.

They go 19kph top speed. So that's faster than walking but way slower than sprinting, so no use in chasing anyone. Also not fast enough to use the roads to travel by.

They are more mobile than a car, but about as mobile as a bike, yet way slower, and they're motorised, therefore cost money to run.

Am I missing something? They hover?
    Also going at that speed, on a busy street, would more than likely lead to someone been injured. Sprinting is a lot easier than segway and it wouldn't be too difficult to get away from a segway chasing you on a busy street, and if a guard started chasing on foot, the segways would probably be robbed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Unless turret mounts on the front, Robocop is nowhere near here....****ing stupid headline

gerarda wrote: »
    Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike

Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike your two feet.

The only place for these machines is the likes of inside terminal 2 at Dublin Airport or at any of the larger shopping malls, even at that they are awkward for hauling up and down levels.

They are totally impracticable for city use giving their relatively short battery life. The only use I could see them at is for PR use in places like the RDS and Ploughing Championships.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Unless turret mounts on the front, Robocop is nowhere near here....****ing stupid headline

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

maybe they could shoot tazers randomly at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Not really a waste of money since it hasn't cost AGS anything.Provides higher visability then two Gardai just out walking the beat or on bicycle.

I've seen tourists on the Dublin Segway tour naviagate busy streets on them easily enough so doubt the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

I've seen tourists on the Dublin Segway tour naviagate busy streets on them easily enough so doubt the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

Yeah, but thats at normal speeds and not in any sort of pursuit situation.. If they fly down any of Dublin busy pedestrian streets on one of those they are gonna flatten a few feet... Its like when your driving your car.. you may be a safe driver, but its everyone else on the road you gotta watch out for.

They should stick with the bikes.. they get to keep fit, and can move faster than a segway, and bikes can go up and down kerbs, and even go down a set of steps... id like to see someone try that on a segway without face-planting the pavement.

Not really a waste of money since it hasn't cost AGS anything.

Yes it has....
    the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

Who pays for the training.. 3 days of pay for a trainer is not free, they need to be charged after each use.. electricity is not free. If they are used alot, then maintenance is not free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement