Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to New York

Options
  • 31-10-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am travelling to New York City from Shannon Monday? Does anybody know is the city up in running in any way? Or will we even be able to fly out? Will we be refunded if not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

JFK & Newark opened up again today with limited service. I imagine they will be be fully operational again by next Monday. La Guardia is taking a bit longer to clean up, but it should be fine by Monday too. The subway system looks to be hardest hit & will take longer to get back to normal, so if you were planning on using that to get around, you may want to make alternative plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Themarts

ProudDUB wrote: »
    JFK & Newark opened up again today with limited service. I imagine they will be be fully operational again by next Monday. La Guardia is taking a bit longer to clean up, but it should be fine by Monday too. The subway system looks to be hardest hit & will take longer to get back to normal, so if you were planning on using that to get around, you may want to make alternative plans.

Thank you for replying, was anything said about the city itself? Will there be power etc. I don't want to be stuck in a hotel room if I actually end up there. I suppose I will use taxis to get around if needs be,
    I'm sure ill sort something out

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Id imagine you will get out no problem as flights should be fully operational by next week.

The problem could be in NYC itself. A friend of mine had to walk across the 59th street bridge this morning as they were hundreds queueing at bus stops. The subway is what makes New York move and if it's not operational it will be hard get around.

I think they hope to have sections open this weekend but it could take a few weeks to be fully operational.

yew_tree wrote: »
    Id imagine you will get out no problem as flights should be fully operational by next week.

The problem could be in NYC itself. A friend of mine had to walk across the 59th street bridge this morning as they were hundreds queueing at bus stops. The subway is what makes New York move and if it's not operational it will be hard get around.

I think they hope to have sections open this weekend but it could take a few weeks to be fully operational.

I would hate to be there if I am stranded! Oh god lets keep our fingers crossed! A lot could be done in a few days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I am heading to NY on Tuesday for 6 days. Similar to yourself I am worried we could be spending a lot of money to stay in a hotel room for the duration of our stay. We cant get in touch with the guest house we are booked into either so I am a bit nervous that we might arrive over and have nowhere to stay.

I dont think the issue will be actually getting to NY but more getting around NY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Themarts wrote: »
    I suppose I will use taxis to get around if needs be

Here's a picture of one of the bigger taxi depots in Hoboken , New Jersey which supplies a lot of taxis into NYC so Taxis might be in short supply for a while. that said there will undoubtedly be less people in manhattan so it might balance out!

Sunk-Taxis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

keep an eye on the MTA website, that'll tell ya what's the story with transport. We have a close to normal bus service running now, but since the subways are out, EVERYBODY is using them. A week is a long time in New York and, once the flooding is under control the place will be in better shape.

http://www.mta.info

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're planing on staying in a hotel in Manhattan, remember that the vast majority of the staff who work in that hotel can't afford to live in Manhattan so probably rely on the subway to get to work. You can work out for yourself the effect that the subway remaining closed will have on the levels of service you can expect in your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. You should also check with your hotel and confirm your booking and that they will be open and operational when you arrive. If they suffered any damage, power loss, flooding etc etc they may not be open, and they may not have the ability to contact you about your booking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Everywhere south of 39th street is without power. If you pick a hotel north of 39th and don't venture downtown then you wouldn't even know that there had been a storm.

The subway is starting up a partial service tomorrow (Friday) and we expect power to be restored to downtown by Monday.

No reason not to come over. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys feeling a little more positive now I must say! Staying on 47th I'm sure? So I'm very central I'm sure it will be fine. Fingers crossed! Any idea of the outlets r running? Jersey gardens r Woodbury? I know jersey was ment to be affected too! It's such a pity.

Thanks guys feeling a little more positive now I must say! Staying on 47th I'm sure? So I'm very central I'm sure it will be fine. Fingers crossed! Any idea of the outlets r running? Jersey gardens r Woodbury? I know jersey was ment to be affected too! It's such a pity.

I am staying on 135th Street (Bronx) any idea how it is after the storm?

The Bronx should be fine (you staying in a hotel?)

I wouldn't count on going to Jersey or getting to any of the outlets. It's a 2 hour wait to leave Manhattan this morning and cabs are limited (gas stations are running low on fuel)

http://www.ny1.com/ - NY1 news channel might be a good place for anyone travelling to NY this week. They are giving updates on Subway and buss routes as they open.

Ponster wrote: »
    The Bronx should be fine (you staying in a hotel?)

I wouldn't count on going to Jersey or getting to any of the outlets. It's a 2 hour wait to leave Manhattan this morning and cabs are limited (gas stations are running low on fuel)

Staying in a B&B - we just heard for them that they are still taking guests. They were without power until today but are now back up and running and were lucky not to get hit as hard as other areas.

So fingers crossed!

That's good news then :)

It was really only the low areas of the city that suffered the damage and the Bronx should be clear.

This is an idea of the subway lines that are back running : http://imgur.com/hs8hc

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Hi, heading over to NY on Dec 1st for a week.
    How do ye predict the city will be by then?

I see where somebody said not to expect to get out to the outlets due to traffic...??
    This, along with the Christmas decorations, are some of the main reasons we're going...

Also, we're booked in to stay in a hotel out in Secaucus - normally it's only 20 mins in bus in to Port Auth via Lincoln Tunnel... Would this route be badly affected?? If it's snowing would the buses still run as normal??
    Don't want to be stranded out there!!

The issues about being stranded refer to Hurricane Sandy - everything will be fine by Dec 1st. Snow won't close the highways - unless it was a monster Blizzard.

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi, heading over to NY on Dec 1st for a week.
    How do ye predict the city will be by then?

Everything was back to normal for Manhattan and most of Brooklyn about 5 days after Sandy so there's nothing to be concerned about.

We got 2 inches of snow last night and the buses still ran.

• Advertisement
Advertisement