Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Spices

Options
  • 31-10-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I live in cork.
    When I buy spices I usually get little bags of them in a little Indian newsagent in Summerstown or else in the English Market.

They're better value than buying the little bottles of stuff in supermarkets but I tend to go through them quite quickly.

Does anyone know of a shop that sells bulk spices? Some of the funnier ones are even hard to get in the shops mentioned above - black cumin being an example. Anyone know where I can get some of the more rare spices?

Alternatively, are there any online shops where you can buy large amounts of spices?

I know they're best when fresh but for unground spices that shouldn't be as much of a problem and I do go through a fair amount so 1kg bags would be perfect for me (as opposed to the 100g bags you get in some shops).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried Jai Jai?
    Most asian food shops stock the larger bags (500g +).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In some places you might have to ask, as it could be out back due to the size of the packs. Some of these stores have huge selections in tiny places.

Some places will order in the spices for you too, I got the one in blackrock dublin to get stuff for me. I reckon they really want to know what the locals want, as in their trade they are more unlikely to know or guess.

2 indian takeaways near me sell large bags of spices too. Again you might only have to ask, they will avail of a bulk discount and get a few euro off you too, if you are a regular you might get a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Have you tried Jai Jai?

Where's Jai Jai?

Am on mobile so posting a link is a pain. Try Google.

What country are they based in? I see references to companies based in India and Australia.

I don't think importing from either would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ta. My bad. Damn weird autocorrect. :o

Ta. My bad. Damn weird autocorrect. :o

And using the magic of google street view I know exactly where it is.
    Will give it a look next time I'm in town. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I know it's not Cork, but there is a good asian shop in Ballaghadreen in Co. Roscommon. This shop also supplies restaraunts and had spices in bigger bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

Haven't bought from them myself but there is a stall at the farmers markets, Green Saffron, where they sell spices from big bags, they also sell online:
    http://www.greensaffron.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Haven't bought from them myself but there is a stall at the farmers markets, Green Saffron, where they sell spices from big bags, they also sell online:

I use them all the time, great quality & have a stall at Mahon farmers market or you can buy bulk online

They look a bit expensive.

I found a fairly decent Indian spice shop on South Main St in Cork City.

They sold up to 400g bags of stuff like coriander and cumin - which is an improvement.

Didn't check what the prices are like but I can't imagine they're that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gbear wrote: »
    They look a bit expensive.

I found a fairly decent Indian spice shop on South Main St in Cork City.

They sold up to 400g bags of stuff like coriander and cumin - which is an improvement.

Didn't check what the prices are like but I can't imagine they're that high.

Yep maybe you can get cheaper - I just like the quality of the green saffron stuff, I've been burnt before buying bulk where you get it cheaper but its going stale. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with sth Main Street. Always nice to have a choice.

By the way, i hear that spices of India deliver to Ireland, not sure of the postage but again it's great quality.

I've never bought any of the basic spices from them only some of their spice mixes in a local shop, and I have to say they were very fresh and very aromatic ... quite impressed, but as Gbear says they're not cheap.

Alun wrote: »
    I've never bought any of the basic spices from them only some of their spice mixes in a local shop, and I have to say they were very fresh and very aromatic ... quite impressed, but as Gbear says they're not cheap.

As is always the way, if you make a spice blend yourself it'll be about 5 times cheaper.

I made about 100g of Garam Masala recently for about €1.

Gbear wrote: »
    As is always the way, if you make a spice blend yourself it'll be about 5 times cheaper.

I made about 100g of Garam Masala recently for about €1.
    I know that, and I make my own Garam Masala too, but I just happened across some of their spice mixes once and tried them and was impressed by the freshness of the spices themselves.

Spices, like anything else, are available in different qualities, and the guy who makes the mixes seems quite passionate about his products and imports all the ingredients himself directly. Most Indian spices available here are from one or two very big suppliers such as East End and Natco, and it's entirely possible that these are of a lesser quality and/or have a longer supply chain before they get to you than what Green Saffron uses, I don't know. The proof is in the eating though, and I can say that I can tell a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Found this site in UK that deliver to Ireland.
    http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/delivery-info--contact-us-1-w.asp

Advertisement