Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant messaging - inter office communications

Options
  • 31-10-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi

I dont know if this is the right place but please point me in the right direction if not. Anyway communication is a HUGE part of our business and we have now 2 offices in the country with a 3rd in concept. Having staff know who's where and 'chat' instantly strikes us as a useful tool. Knowing if someone is at their desk or 'busy' is another, now I know Microsoft instant messenger (for business) can do this but with mounting software costs I'd like to know are there any alternative free similar product people are using or indeed any alternative good ideas on this front.

Hope you can help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Probably sounds obvious as hell but install Skype and create an account for each staff member with work email address and messaging & voice / video calling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Thanks

It is the leading contender at the moment but its not as intuitive as I'd like, if it coul 'announce' you were at your desk etc. Like MS Messeng can..

Thanks though its odds on as the tool to be used, but surley there are some other ways..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

we use gmail *google chat* here. similarly to the above, you could setup a specific account for each employee just for the purpose of instant chat. I think the gmail chat app has all the usual "idle/active" IM settings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i use an application called trillian, which does skyp, msn etc all at once

it allows you to set statuses etc, would that maybe work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Have you tired Lync?
    Use it like IM but can also use it like WebEx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Yahoo Messenger would be an option too.

Thanks Marcus, that looks good, one always has to balance between a lot of cummincation i guess and none.. Trying to develop a culture of openness, youth etc.. so something like this could be way forward..

How about a Ning website?

It's like a facebook thing, wherein everyone can make their own profile, add videos, photos, yada, yada, yada, but only the people that are invited are able to join.

So, if you set it up, and your company was boards, you could make boards.ning.com. When people go there they set up their account and can only interact with other people on the same ning board (ie; other employees).

I'm fairly certain it has the usual Facebook stuff (private message, instant message, wall posts, etc.) but it doesn't have the 'news feed', so if you want to find someone, or find out something about someone, you have to make an effort to specifically go to their page (so in other words, there's no distracting, ever-updating, series of events on the page).

There's also a home page where you can announce staff meetings, projects, etc.

I did a FAS course before and the tutors made us use this on the course. I'd never heard of it at the time (and this was a few years ago, now) and I only used it this once, but it seemed like a pretty good idea, to me, and it was very functional for it's intended use.

Now, they could have completely revamped it since I last used it (or it may not even exist anymore) but it seems like it could be ideal for you.

How about a Ning website?

It's like a facebook thing, wherein everyone can make their own profile, add videos, photos, yada, yada, yada, but only the people that are invited are able to join.

So, if you set it up, and your company was boards, you could make boards.ning.com. When people go there they set up their account and can only interact with other people on the same ning board (ie; other employees).

I'm fairly certain it has the usual Facebook stuff (private message, instant message, wall posts, etc.) but it doesn't have the 'news feed', so if you want to find someone, or find out something about someone, you have to make an effort to specifically go to their page (so in other words, there's no distracting, ever-updating, series of events on the page).

There's also a home page where you can announce staff meetings, projects, etc.

I did a FAS course before and the tutors made us use this on the course. I'd never heard of it at the time (and this was a few years ago, now) and I only used it this once, but it seemed like a pretty good idea, to me, and it was very functional for it's intended use.

Now, they could have completely revamped it since I last used it (or it may not even exist anymore) but it seems like it could be ideal for you.

You know thats a step higher than I thought but your right, its a nice idea. The trick in that one would be to engage staff to use it. We have staff across 2 main offices and on 3 other independant sites, this could be a nice way of communicating and sharing ideas.

Are Irsh ready for this type of thing though? :eek: Thanks ... I have a couple of junior people in the office looking at coming up with solutions on this..

Cheers for that and for all the others.. ah yes I've been off boards for a while and have forgotten how usefull it is as a community, I hope to gve back of course.. keep Karma balanced..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Talk123

Hi

It all depends what you want to do ,you can use skype with some phone systems ,you can now link your landline and mobiles under one structure ,you can have voicemails sent to mobiles from the phone,you can dial branch to branch for free system. You just be aware in lots of these instances you need a solid broadband structure,but vodafone have an interesting idea whereby they put a sim into handsets and it acts like a pabx linking with your mobiles .Im in the telecomms business so if you want more info please pm me

• Advertisement

Thanks talk, very interesting. We have a solid switch box and a VoIP network. I'm not saying its good but it suits for now.

I guess what I'm trying to do here is create a virtual community and a culture of chatting sharing ideas and solutions. We have 32 people all individually experienced but together wow they could change the world.

To start I felt that IM messaging would be good, our constrictions are that they work on different client sites and from two main offices soon to be more. I need to firstly ensure they know where thought people are from time to time and feel they have an informal but confidential avenue to chat and discuss

Also for Managment when a call comes from anywhere in the world I should be virtually in the office. With my PA able to tell if I'm busy or can handle a call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

We used RescueTime .. gave you solid data on what u spent your time on, what u did what time u logged in out .. lunch meetings all that jazz..

Also used skype for interchat messaging between countries..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Jeniffermaben

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What do you use for your email? (Server and client)
    Do you have active directory?
    I suppose it'd also be useful to know your licensing status' with microsoft but thats prob a bit much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think this zombie was only revived for Jennifer to pimp her companies products Kippy. OP asked the question over a year ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement