Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cops on the beat.

• 31-10-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

About a week ago, much to my suprise I saw a pair of cops walking the beat around my local area, and again today on two seperate occassions.
    Is this a new approach to policing, or have they run out of Garda vehicles.
    When was the last time you witnessed anything like this in your area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I see at least 1 every day. At night, usually 2. I find it comforting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

all the time. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't afford the petrol anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

It's still fairly common. I see them regularly, not just in my area but everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

i don't really see them much on foot unless they are directing traffic or getting fish and chips .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I still see cops out on foot quite regularly but only in the city centre. Though I guess CCTV and other technology has somewhat negated the need for cops on the beat. Now the crime happens first, we look at the video and clean up the mess afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I've been seeing them around, and I like it. It's good to have a presence. It doesn't stop people being assholes altogether, but it does lessen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I see one or two pairs of them in town most days I'm there but never see them on foot apart from that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hate when people call them cops.

I can think of a lot worse things to call most of them which doesn't bother me at all.

But cops - No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Lapin wrote: »

I can think of a lot worse things to call most of them which doesn't bother me at all.

But cops - No.

I just seen a high horse running that way
    >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even worse, feds :mad:

But yeah I see them occasionally in town walking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

jameshayes wrote: »
    I just seen a high horse running that way
    >
    Well go follow it then, and you might catch up with the flying pig you rode in on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I see them every few weeks. They usually step up patrols around winter time and christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

aujopimur wrote: »
    About a week ago, much to my suprise I saw a pair of cops walking the beat around my local area, and again today on two seperate occassions.
    Is this a new approach to policing, or have they run out of Garda vehicles.
    When was the last time you witnessed anything like this in your area.

I hope that was a joke? Or are you really asking if walking a beat is a brand new approach to policing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I was like a lot of people in my area a few years ago, saying they don't walk the streets enough. Then I got a job in town and I would see them everyday I was working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Used to see it regularly when I lived in Clondalkin.

And no, they weren't watching me. so they said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Lapin wrote: »

But cops - No.

I'm not fond of the term 'Guard' or 'Gard' either.

Someone says: "The guards are coming"

Guards to what?

At least with cops there is less ambiguity. I use the term 'Police'

Give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

More than likely kids dressed as cops, were they going house to house with bags of sweets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D Here in ballyfermot just seen two garda walking by the house :D very unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ive seen a lot more of it lately, which is good, either on foot or mountain bikes. I know from mates in the Geeearrrrdddaaeeeeeeee that they're being turfed out of the station as much as possible.

In a related matter I saw one of the new 170 promised patrol cars today, a recent 12-D Ford Focus diesel estate Traffic Corps car. Good to see they havent hung around getting them on the road, not sure itll be much good against some stolen flash bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'm not fond of the term 'Guard' or 'Gard' either.

Someone says: "The guards are coming"

Guards to what?

Guardians of the peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

The lads have gotten new Segways to patrol the streets.

Waste of money in my opinion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1031/breaking42.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Explain why?

The cost a fortune for what is a small enough device, yes, but they have big advantages over walking. And converted into the cost of man-hours, they reasonable.

The can go 20kph, for a sustained period, and give a the user a much better view of a crowd. They also give fewer Gardai a greater visual presence, and allow them to patrol a larger area.

I can't really see the downside tbh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Explain why?

The cost a fortune for what is a small enough device, yes, but they have big advantages over walking. And converted into the cost of man-hours, they reasonable.

The can go 20kph, for a sustained period, and give a the user a much better view of a crowd. They also give fewer Gardai a greater visual presence, and allow them to patrol a larger area.

They're belittling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The costs are being covered by the Dublin City Business Alliance. It says so in the article you quoted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or we could train Guards to ride unicycles :pac:

Still doesn't compare to mounted Gardaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Yeah,they looked a right pair of fannies on the news earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Did you read the article you quoted?
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ive seen a lot more of it lately, which is good, either on foot or mountain bikes. I know from mates in the Geeearrrrdddaaeeeeeeee that they're being turfed out of the station as much as possible.

It's beacause the new rosters have some overlapping units so the extra unit is sent out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Can't afford the petrol anymore

But they can still afford breakfast rolls.

/Garda fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

they need to walk it more often. As a general rule, applicable everywhere. Police are meant to be an ingrained part of society, not a government-sponsored gang of muscle that patrols around in cars until they see something out of their driver window or are beckoned upon.

The more people are able to interact with their local police force the better for everyone. Makes people feel safer, for one, and makes them safer because cops can get untold volumes of insight about the people around them that you simply can't get in a car or on a segway. I usually make a point of chatting to beat cops when I see them stationed at cinemas and bowling alleys and such. I like to know the goings on, sometimes they can help you in knowing what to be watchful for and it can create feedback in both directions. I thought my estate was completely harmless for instance, but in talking to a cop down at the bowling alley in the next zip code over he was telling me how my estate is a honeypot for drunk drivers -otherwise it is pretty tame in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Still doesn't compare to mounted Gardaí

Which still doesn't compare to a Gard in a 4x4. :pac:

Anyway, a Segway is still cheaper than a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Police forces all around the world use these - nothing unusual except it took a long time to get here.

Advertisement