Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

• 31-10-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

Would love to get the 16gb version. Does google play allow us folks in ireland to purchase from it? I already have the Nexus 7 and love it so trying to figure out how i can get my hands on it. I purchased to N7 in a shop however.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Beezkneez! wrote: »
    Does google play allow us folks in ireland to purchase from it?
    Not directly but will probably be like the Galaxy Nexus offering up different options. Alternatively Amazon.co.uk will most likely have it as well as other online stores elsewhere in Europe, there's a good german store but I can't remember the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

right, i only discovered this now by the help of some fellow boardsies.

for 349eu it looks like a deal of a century... release date 14 november? where would i be able to order this from so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No more of this contract crap for me either, as soon as I'm finished being screwed by Meteor I'm getting a Nexus 4 and living high on the hog!
    And Apple can kiss my ass!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No more of this contract crap for me either, as soon as I'm finished being screwed by Meteor I'm getting a Nexus 4 and living high on the hog!
    And Apple can kiss my ass!

7-8 years i am in ireland, i never took a contract and trust me, i know how good it feels! :p 1 less bill at home too!
    When 3gs was new, i went to o2 and got prepay one for 549eu and still using it. yes, it can be a pain in a hole to pay it all at once, but its your phone and you can do what ever feck you want with it. plus i still dont use more then 20-30eu per month on credit and thats with data included.
    for 349eu this nexus 4 might be the best ever thing in smart phones, lets hope it does not suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

When my Galaxy S finally dies I think this will be the replacement. Amazing value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Re the Google Nexus 4, I am thinking of getting one from a work-mate in US, I wont to pay directly for it
    Will it work on Irish networks

And payment, can i buy thru the Play store and pay with my irish Credit card (or my Neteller card)

If I change my ip address to a US one, will google play allow me to buy from Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

It will work in Ireland. You can't buy it from the play store even if you change your ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

There is no micro SD card slot :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

PrzemoF wrote: »
    That's the only thing stopping me getting this phone. Why why why?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Not directly but will probably be like the Galaxy Nexus offering up different options. Alternatively Amazon.co.uk will most likely have it as well as other online stores elsewhere in Europe, there's a good german store but I can't remember the name.

I wonder though will you be able to get from other retailers at the same price as the google play store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Simi

Issac wrote: »
    That's the only thing stopping me getting this phone. Why why why?!

The same reason they don't include 32gb of internal storage as standard. To gently encourage you to use streaming services.

The current nexus lineup is being sold at cost. Getting people to switch to Google's streaming services & cloud storage is how they are going to profit from it.

The only manufacturers who are going to include microsd slots from now on are those without a vested interest in the play store.

Simi wrote: »
    The same reason they don't include 32gb of internal storage as standard. To gently encourage you to use streaming services.

The current nexus lineup is being sold at cost. Getting people to switch to Google's streaming services & cloud storage is how they are going to profit from it.

The only manufacturers who are going to include microsd slots from now on are those without a vested interest in the play store.

What storage do Google offer for files at the moment do you know? i.e. If I wanted to upload some music somewhere where would I do it and how do I stream it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What storage do Google offer for files at the moment do you know? i.e. If I wanted to upload some music somewhere where would I do it and how do I stream it?

Google Drive

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop complaining about there being no micro SD card slot. If you have a problem with it then don't buy the phone. Google have said publicly twice why the Nexus line will not include SD cards.
    I wonder though will you be able to get from other retailers at the same price as the google play store?
    All depends who it is, some may even have it cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

draffodx wrote: »
    Google Music launching on November 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

It would be sweet if you can get one from US one way or other. 16 gb would $349 ~ €270.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

In the description of the nexus 4 on the play store it says that with it you get the space for up to 20,000 tracks which can be streamed to your device from google play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

positron wrote: »
    It would be sweet if you can get one from US one way or other. 16 gb would $349 ~ €270.
    Add sales tax to that

shizz wrote: »
    In the description of the nexus 4 on the play store it says that with it you get the space for up to 20,000 tracks which can be streamed to your device from google play.
    That's Google music. It's free. Just sign up using a proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mohananv

If you are really desperate, you could always use a mail forwarding service like http://www.usabox.com/. Thats what I used when they first announced the Nexus One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I hear the Play Hardware Store will be available to Ireland some time in November, might not be true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Might get my relation over in the states to order one for me...hmmm...one hell of a phone for 270ish

Add sales tax to that

Exactly but it's still cheaper than Europe. For example say you are purchasing the 16GB version in New York then it works out about $380 (€293.15)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This phone seems to be as well featured as the Galaxy S III?

MarkR wrote: »
    This phone seems to be as well featured as the Galaxy S III?

on a paper it is better then S3, and almost twice cheaper. I just really hope, they wont drop a ball on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Google Music came pre-installed on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and worked out of the box.
    This will probably be the same for the Nexus 4, just watch out if you have a low 3G data package.
    long_b wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Google Music service was not available in Europe. The app is on the phone but the streaming and music manager are not available unless of course you went the USA IP option and installed from google play.
    Whic ive done with my SGN

so its still out on 14th and still no info where we will be able to get it from this island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

so its still out on 14th and still no info where we will be able to get it from this island?

Sure what else is new, there is no point even going into the shops because they'll have no idea there is a new phone. Your best bet is to try their twitter.

I like the phone but i won't be getting it as i dont see the point in upgrading from the Galaxy Nexus. Unless somebody knows something i dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Sure what else is new, there is no point even going into the shops because they'll have no idea there is a new phone. Your best bet is to try their twitter.

I like the phone but i won't be getting it as i dont see the point in upgrading from the Galaxy Nexus. Unless somebody knows something i dont.

Despite my GNex having an unmerciful crack through the screen, I think I will be holding off on this one too. My current phone contract expires in May and will probably switch from Billpay to prepay and look at the Nexus 5 this time next year. Should be able to save approx €220 from switching out of contract between May and November. Almost the price of a new phone.

Plus, I am getting myself one of the Nexus 10 tablets as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Oops - looking it up again they only said UK and some mainland countries for this

Kenno90 wrote: »

heh, i dont even have a hope to find it in any shop lol. though where will i be able to get it online? google shop is not avelable here...

do UK get the to buy from google shop? i got good few friends in north, i could ask them to buy it for me and send it over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

do UK get the to buy from google shop? i got good few friends in north, i could ask them to buy it for me and send it over.

Yep, that'll work once it's available in a couple of weeks.

heh, i dont even have a hope to find it in any shop lol. though where will i be able to get it online? google shop is not avelable here...

Still 2 weeks to go so we won't know until closer the time but basically our best option will probably be one of these reliable retailers:

Amazon.co.uk (Maybe Amazon.de if it works out cheaper)
    Clove
    Handtec
    Expansys

Or there might the highly unlikely scenario that an Irish retailer is selling it shortly after release at the RRP!?

well, i asked my buddy to look in to it and they can use google shop... :rolleyes: same island, but hey, i guess were are not important enough.
    So its 279£, by just using google i got it 350eu, but i guess 3% for paypal transfer, plus i am pretty sure their euro to £££ will be as **** as possible. DHL delivery and it will end up around 400eu.

i guess ill just wait for one more week and see if we will get it offered from at least one retailer here.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

well, i asked my buddy to look in to it and they can use google shop... :rolleyes: same island, but hey, i guess were are not important enough.
    So its 279£, by just using google i got it 350eu, but i guess 3% for paypal transfer, plus i am pretty sure their euro to £££ will be as **** as possible. DHL delivery and it will end up around 400eu.

i guess ill just wait for one more week and see if we will get it offered from at least one retailer here.

1 more week? It won't be released anywhere until the 13th.

5starpool wrote: »
    1 more week? It won't be released anywhere until the 13th.

No we're a completely different nation with different laws on sales, copyright,tax :confused:

No we're a completely different nation with different laws on sales, copyright,tax :confused:

23099459.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

That looks like it would be cheaper to buy from one of the European outlets mentioned above like Amazon.de etc. Or else beg/threaten/kiss-ass someone who's travelling to the states. Or start the charm offensive at that distant-relative in the US that you haven't spoken to in a few years.. etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Will we get Google Now over here, and how many of the features will work?

Has anyone got a phone running jelly bean already and tried it out? Looks pretty cool.

EGriff wrote: »
    Will we get Google Now over here, and how many of the features will work?

Has anyone got a phone running jelly bean already and tried it out? Looks pretty cool.
    I have it running on my HTC Desire S, haven't used it much (I don't see where it will help me in anyway). Gives stuff like temperature in Fahrenheit unless you ask it to give you Celsius and I haven't found a setting to change it (not looked particularly hard).

Some features will not be the same or work here as the US as with so many other things like Google Music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

What about using voice for setting alarms, making calls, navigation and all that stuff?

I'm still on the fence between this and the HTC 8X, this has way more power and features but that Windows phone UI is so slick it's making it a tough choice.

EGriff wrote: »
    What about using voice for setting alarms, making calls, navigation and all that stuff?
    Alarm was set perfectly, call brought up the contact I asked for and I just had to hit the ring button, navigation doesn't seem to understand any location I ask it.

[Edit] Just got it to recognise a location and it works perfectly.

Thanks EGriff I think you just opened my eyes to the power of Google Now.

positron wrote: »
    That looks like it would be cheaper to buy from one of the European outlets mentioned above like Amazon.de etc. Or else beg/threaten/kiss-ass someone who's travelling to the states. Or start the charm offensive at that distant-relative in the US that you haven't spoken to in a few years.. etc etc.

unfortunately true. Though we do have to see the prices it will go for here first... 279£ might magicly not be 350eu when it comes as far as here :(

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I have it running on my HTC Desire S, haven't used it much (I don't see where it will help me in anyway). Gives stuff like temperature in Fahrenheit unless you ask it to give you Celsius and I haven't found a setting to change it (not looked particularly hard).

Some features will not be the same or work here as the US as with so many other things like Google Music.

At the moment it doesn't do huge amount here in Ireland, although in the last few days a new item appeared comparing your walking or cycling distances. screen shot attached. Was quite strange to see to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Uriel. wrote: »

At the moment it doesn't do huge amount here in Ireland, although in the last few days a new item appeared comparing your walking or cycling distances. screen shot attached. Was quite strange to see to be honest.

Hi Uriel.

How does it know if you walk cycle etc

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Uriel.

How does it know if you walk cycle etc

Presumably it makes a judgment on your speed, but not sure really. It is fairly accurate though I would think, in my case anyway. I took two Dublin bike journeys which would have covered approximately a mile.

I have heard talk on other sites though that people who don't cycle at all are getting data for cycling so there does seem to be glitches (possibly driving very slowly might get read as cycling).

The whole thing is a bit of a mix of cool and scary at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's not very accurate, it says I cycled over a mile when I haven't cycled in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's not very accurate, it says I cycled over a mile when I haven't cycled in years

Did you walk briskly through some red lights?

• Advertisement
Advertisement