Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Looks like clove will be selling it http://www.clove.co.uk/lg-nexus-4 as a UK company I doubt they'd bother selling it unless they match googles price, though if you're a new customer you have to jump through some hoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Handtec are selling it but the before tax price is the same as the after tax price of the Google Play store in the UK?? Might just be a coincidence though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was gonna get the S2 for Christmas but definitely gonna get the Nexus 4 instead. Hopefully, it will be available in shops like Meteor, HMV, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Handtec are selling it but the before tax price is the same as the after tax price of the Google Play store in the UK?? Might just be a coincidence though?

420eu.... cute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Any one know if there is some sort of US or UK based, online Visa/Mastercard thingees that you can sign up to, load some money into, and use that to order one of these from US/UK Play store?

so what i am seeing so far: i am not an american and LET wont be here up untill 2058, so i think we are prety damn good without it. I am still getting only Edge at work and a glimpse of 3G at home.

the glass back was a stupid idea... i hate cases and i never used them, so if i am getting this phone, it means a case is a need...

some weird figures with performance too...

damn, why cant they do everything right for a change! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The verge make some really great videos, the engadget one looks pure amateur in comparison.

I am definitely getting this phone. Now to try and find a good 30 day rolling contract with plenty data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EGriff wrote: »
    I am definitely getting this phone. Now to try and find a good 30 day rolling contract with plenty data.

Three PAYG works nicely if youre in a good area for it. 20 a month for unlimited texts & data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

so what i am seeing so far: i am not an american and LET wont be here up untill 2058, so i think we are prety damn good without it. I am still getting only Edge at work and a glimpse of 3G at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if LTE starts rolling out here towards the end of next year.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Three PAYG works nicely if youre in a good area for it. 20 a month for unlimited texts & data

That's pretty good. I'll wait and see what e-mobile have around the corner, their unlimited calls and texts and 15GB data was a savage offer.

The phone probably won't be available here for another month anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PopnFresh wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if LTE starts rolling out here towards the end of next year.

Have the spectrum's been awarded out to companies by Comreg yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

draffodx wrote: »

Nope. And they have until 2015 for it to be live

Dublin is not "all country".

the glass back was a stupid idea... i hate cases and i never used them, so if i am getting this phone, it means a case is a need...

some weird figures with performance too...

damn, why cant they do everything right for a change! :p

You will be able to get a bumper case which will look like this

ZpjTV.jpg

note there is nothing on the back or front, it just raises the edges a bit so if you drop it then it's the case that takes the fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

God damn it boards! Had not even heard of this phone till I saw this thread on it. Read a couple of reviews on it and now I want one!

As soon as my contract is up this is my next purchase. Love my Nexus 7 and a phone variation on that is perfect. Fancy specs are just a plus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Dublin is not "all country".

Where did I mention "all country"?

draffodx wrote:

Auction almost finished, if licenses are awarded before end of 2012 I would expect some 4G coverage by Q4 2013.
    In the UK EE were extremely on the ball with launching 4G as soon as they got their license.

Anyway back on topic, I like the idea of owning a Nexus phone but for me the benchmarks on this one leave a lot to be desired, the glass back is 'meh' and I'd rather wait for a 4G compatible one so it's future proof.
    I do have an SIII so I guess that'll skew my opinion slightly though I can't wait to ditch touchwiz!

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Where did I mention "all country"?

that is the point. if it will be only in dublin, then its feck all good for the rest of the country, is it?
    With all the technological things its a trend just to be nicely developed in dublin and the rest of the country can go F it self. So same is going to be with LTE. damn i cant even get stable 3G connection here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

that is the point. if it will be only in dublin, then its feck all good for the rest of the country, is it?
    With all the technological things its a trend just to be nicely developed in dublin and the rest of the country can go F it self. So same is going to be with LTE. damn i cant even get stable 3G connection here.

I can't get a stable 3G connection in Dun Loaghaire either! It's not just a Dublin thing!

draffodx wrote: »
    I can't get a stable 3G connection in Dun Loaghaire either! It's not just a Dublin thing!

thats even worse so, how can we expect something like LTE then?

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »

well this review is completely positive this time around...

i am really between Nexus 4 or HTC 8X or Note II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

So is anyone planning on buying this from the States because of the price difference? I've a friend heading over to New York in late November so I'm planning on ordering to the hotel from the play store, would that work?! And maybe a stupid question, but apart from the charger plug (if one is included), there's hardly any potential problems on using it with Tesco Mobile over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Would love to get this. Will be keeping an eye on the thread. Hopefully there's somewhere that will ship it over here all for a decent price.

It's seriously annoying that it doesn't seem like it will be on sale here. I mean why would Google not sell it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Auction almost finished, if licenses are awarded before end of 2012 I would expect some 4G coverage by Q4 2013.
    In the UK EE were extremely on the ball with launching 4G as soon as they got their license.

yup. comreg rep said around 5 weeks and that was 2-3 weeks ago at this stage where i read that i reckon.

also read somewhere that some of the current stuff could possibly be altered via software to work LTE if the right bandwidth frequencies are on offer, so :) for LTE.
    not much good discussing it in this thread.
    as for it being an improvement, its gonna be very like HSPADA. just needs to be rolled out to be appreciated. i get fairly consistent 4Mb-8Mb DL speeds with that which is great on a phone.

as for the nexus, 2gb memory is very nice and what id like in it i reckon
    data limits arent gonna increase with the LTE so thats gonna be the main problem IMO

nexus 10 is where my interest is peaked in new announcements. screen looks great. (as it is on nexus 4 also for those who are buying)

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Would love to get this. Will be keeping an eye on the thread. Hopefully there's somewhere that will ship it over here all for a decent price.

It's seriously annoying that it doesn't seem like it will be on sale here. I mean why would Google not sell it here?
    They are selling it for little if any profit, and will do that because they are hoping to sell music and movies etc..

Due to our out of date laws, they are currently unable to sell those things here so they have no reason to push for the device to be available here.

Hopefully at least one network will want it, but it's a little discouraging that no one has confirmed yet.

The good news is though, that if you want one then you should be able to get one through the two sites shown, and I'm also working on a way of getting it from the UK Play store that I think will work.

So is anyone planning on buying this from the States because of the price difference? I've a friend heading over to New York in late November so I'm planning on ordering to the hotel from the play store, would that work?! And maybe a stupid question, but apart from the charger plug (if one is included), there's hardly any potential problems on using it with Tesco Mobile over here?

I was looking into doing this myself but you can only use a US credit/debit card in the US play store. You could look into seeing if any bricks and mortar store in the US are selling it for the same price as the Google play store?

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1267137
    International credit cards

At this time we only accept US-based credit cards for US users and Visa, MasterCard and Visa Electron for international users making purchases from Google Play. You can add additional cards to your Google Wallet account at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I was looking into doing this myself but you can only use a US credit/debit card in the US play store. You could look into seeing if any bricks and mortar store in the US are selling it for the same price as the Google play store?

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1267137

If I have a US debit card will they deliver it here?

Animo wrote: »

If I have a US debit card will they deliver it here?
    They probably would ship it to someone like this http://www.shipito.com

I can personally recommend that particular company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Reading between the lines you can't buy it with an Irish card only US, I have family in the states could I get them to buy it and ship it to me and it would work no problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

And some of us poor souls barely able to catch EDGE on our devices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Regarding the LTE, it's surely far too expensive at the moment to be a must have? I have little interest in signing up for a data plan like that until costs dramatically fall.

It would be nice to have a future proof phone but it ain't a must have imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Regarding the LTE, it's surely far too expensive at the moment to be a must have? I have little interest in signing up for a data plan like that until costs dramatically fall.

It would be nice to have a future proof phone but it ain't a must have imo.

The main problem is the guys behind all the reviews heavily depend on the internet and actually benefit from the high speeds given by LTE ( or at least they think they do).

Reading between the lines you can't buy it with an Irish card only US, I have family in the states could I get them to buy it and ship it to me and it would work no problems?
    It would, but you might not need to do that, I've recently used a UK proxy to register my Parcel Motel address as a delivery address, the only thing stopping me from ordering then is a credit or debit card with a UK address.

I've been on to my credit card company about setting up a temporary change of address to an English address and they said it wouldn't be a problem, I told him what it was for and he said it would work.

I've also been thinking about the pre paid mastercard, I've used my own address as a billing address with them a few times and I wonder if they'll accept a UK address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

It would, but you might not need to do that, I've recently used a UK proxy to register my Parcel Motel address as a delivery address, the only thing stopping me from ordering then is a credit or debit card with a UK address.

I've been on to my credit card company about setting up a temporary change of address to an English address and they said it wouldn't be a problem, I told him what it was for and he said it would work.

I've also been thinking about the pre paid mastercard, I've used my own address as a billing address with them a few times and I wonder if they'll accept a UK address?

If it works 100% that is absolutely sweet, I've no real problem about getting my cousin to ship it to me. Cheers for the heads up sir :)

Uh-Oh, apparently LG are offering this to retailers in Spain and Italy at an RRP of €599. So €250 to €300 more than the price on the Google play store. Why would they do this? I have no idea.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/11/03/spanish-phone-retailer-suspends-plan-to-stock-the-nexus-4-as-lg-hikes-its-retail-price/

Hmm, well that's worrying I would rather have bought in a shop here, what I typed earlier was a backup plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Uh-Oh, apparently LG are offering this to retailers in Spain and Italy at an RRP of €599. So €250 to €300 more than the price on the Google play store. Why would they do this? I have no idea.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/11/03/spanish-phone-retailer-suspends-plan-to-stock-the-nexus-4-as-lg-hikes-its-retail-price/
    It's probably the correct price point for the phone but google are heavily subsidising it as they'll hope to make their money back within their own eco system.

what a bunch of scumbags... i think the idea of sending money to my buddies in north and then have it DHL'ed to me sounds like a very reasonable at this stage....

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's probably the correct price point for the phone but google are heavily subsidising it as they'll hope to make their money back within their own eco system.

True, but I can't see too many people paying that price unless they don't know about the play store. Google are more likely selling it at cost too rather than taking a loss on it.

A lot of the phone shops will probably follow this Spanish crowds lead and just tell LG to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I'm in Spain at the moment and the google play store has it for pre order for €349 for 16gb and delivery to an address in Spain. Releasing next Tuesday. What bugs me is the play store will auto locate you and I can't vpn from here to UK but home Tuesday and will be VPN'ing then. Once I order mine from the UK I'll let people know of a service that will deliver to the republic very cheaply. Getting mine first though !! ;)

pmsurveys wrote: »
    I'm in Spain at the moment and the google play store has it for pre order for €349 for 16gb and delivery to an address in Spain. Releasing next Tuesday. What bugs me is the play store will auto locate you and I can't vpn from here to UK but home Tuesday and will be VPN'ing then. Once I order mine from the UK I'll let people know of a service that will deliver to the republic very cheaply. Getting mine first though !! ;)

You mean Parcel Motel? If it isn't then I doubt it would be much cheaper than the €3.50 they charge.

I assume you're already sorted on this front, but the big problem isn't a parcel forwarding service, nor is it a UK VPN it's a credit/dedit card with a UK address.

I assume you're already sorted on this front, but the big problem isn't a parcel forwarding service, nor is it a UK VPN it's a credit/dedit card with a UK address.

Exactly this. However, would it be too hard to set up a prepaid virtual card like entropay or 3V Visa card etc online, with the Parcel Motel address, and would Play store allow these kind of cards?

I have a feeling at least one of the online retailers like Clove will sell at the same price as the play store and save us all a lot of hassle!

positron wrote: »
    Exactly this. However, would it be too hard to set up a prepaid virtual card like entropay or 3V Visa card etc online, with the Parcel Motel address, and would Play store allow these kind of cards?

The problem with using either of those is you really need €350 spare, if it doesn't work you won't be gettin your money back and you'll need to find something else to spend it on.

I know I've mentioned it on this thread before, but I think your best bet would be to call your credit card company and ask them if you can have a change of address on your card, use a random address generator if you don't know anyone who'll let you use their address and make sure you have your account set to receive no mail from them.
    I have a feeling at least one of the online retailers like Clove will sell at the same price as the play store and save us all a lot of hassle!

They might not have a choice, if it's got a RRP of about £500 they might not be getting them cheap enough to match Googles price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Anyone know if Expansys.ie will be stocking this when it comes out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Any guesses as to how soon the US play store will sell out? The girlfriend is coming over from the states at Christmas, thinking this could be a nice present to myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I've had my Samsung GSII since release day and for €300 I can't say no to a Nexus 4. Love Android, love my Nexus 7, and giving my SII to the misses will make her love me more.

Seems to be some messing in relation to who is stocking it, surely an irish retailer will have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Unless im totally wrong and I dont think I am shops in Ireland will charge the public "full whack" when it comes to buying this phone

I've asked in Currys & PC World section if they would stock it, will update if/when they know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement