Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys. they wont honour the warranty only if you get it off google store and ship it to ireland?

what if you buy from retailer like amazon or that phone place linked before? would they hnour warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

In the event that the device is taken to Ireland after being delivered it will not be eligible for warranty repair as long as the device is outside of the United Kingdom.

The important part of that sentence as far as I can tell is "as long as the device is outside of the UK"

I understand that to mean if you're in Ireland you can't ship the phone to a Google repair centre in the UK to have it repaired and returned to you in Ireland.

What you COULD do is ship it to the repair depot and give them a UK return address (such as parcel motel), hence the phone remaining "inside the UK".

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Anybody spotted any good solid cases for it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

draffodx wrote: »
    As above I meant it will reboot the phone as if you had taken the battery out and put it back in.

I'm Not sure there is a sequence to do that on the galaxy nexus, maybe long pressing the Power button although I'm sure I did that.
    Hopefully the Nexus 4 would have this anyway:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1876811

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

That's €399, not bad. If it breaks though you're kinda screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkey2

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Would there be any problems between a UK Nexus 4 and accessing the Irish Play Store? Straight out of the box would it work?

I know no-one has the phone yet to check, but have there been any previous cases of this that anyone has encountered?

No, the phones are not built to be region specific. The version of the play store you see is just taken from the regional settings that get set on first boot

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RichieLynch89

Probably a stupid question here but how can you order the nexus 4 to a UK address when you cant even get as far as entering details (due to them not on sale in Ireland) on the Google Play store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

From the google store
    Purchase restrictions

A Virtual Credit Card (VCC) cannot be used with your purchase in the device store.

Also, at this time, the country of your credit card must match the the country to which you're shipping.

SO if you want to buy from the UK store or USA store using a proxy you will still need a Uk or USA based credit card right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Probably a stupid question here but how can you order the nexus 4 to a UK address when you cant even get as far as entering details (due to them not on sale in Ireland) on the Google Play store?

Stupid question alright ;). If you read above, there are various proxies mentioned - tunnelbear works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Use a proxy such as tunnel bear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

From the google store
    Purchase restrictions

A Virtual Credit Card (VCC) cannot be used with your purchase in the device store.

Also, at this time, the country of your credit card must match the the country to which you're shipping.

SO if you want to buy from the UK store or USA store using a proxy you will still need a Uk or USA based credit card right?
    My credit card company anyway, will allow me to do a temporary change of address to a UK address that will just last a few days, I plan to re register my card as a new card with the UK address and then use a proxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I'd be very surprised if there want a shortage of nexus 4's when it launches, the reviews are brilliant. I've decided its my next phone just have to wait to launch to see how we can buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nolimits wrote: »
    My credit card company anyway, will allow me to do a temporary change of address to a UK address that will just last a few days, I plan to re register my card as a new card with the UK address and then use a proxy.

I have an AIB Click Visa. I can change the address on-line but will that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hoping we see a memory upgrade to 32gb like the Nexus 7, looks like a cracker of a phone, 16gb just isn't enough for me, fingers crossed on the 32gb and i'll be getting my sister to bring one home from Germany to go under the christmas tree (to myself->from myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Just off topic slightly but referring to a post earlier about Argos stocking unlocked phones. Nexus 7 €189 sold out at moment but hopefully to be restocked. They might do nexus 4 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I have an AIB Click Visa. I can change the address on-line but will that work?

Will it allow you to change to a different country? If so, I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

EGriff wrote: »

That's €399, not bad. If it breaks though you're kinda screwed.
    Are you not likely to get caught for VAT on top of that? Anyone have any experience with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Are you not likely to get caught for VAT on top of that? Anyone have any experience with that?

yeah, i'd be worred about customs if ordering from the states. i think i'm going to just order from the Uk and take the €70 hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What the **** is up with the nexus phones and not supporting FM radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

yeah, i'd be worred about customs if ordering from the states. i think i'm going to just order from the Uk and take the €70 hit.

That's what I did but it was more like €90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

You could wait a week or 2 after its released and most likely it will be sold elsewhere in Europe cheaper than buying in the UK or USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Anyone else concerned about the non removable battery ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Anyone else concerned about the non removable battery ?

There's two screws on the bottom - it may not be easily replacable but it is "user serviceable"

so just few days of release now. any more retailers selling it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 conorb610

Phones Online have it listed as coming soon but no price.
    Does anyone know if they are reliable or not?

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1095

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

What time do we expect this to go on sale in the Google store, 09:00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Updated my credit card address to parcel motel in northern ireland.

So It should be possible to sign into play uk store and order this phone tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Friend got a reply from Google.

The Play Store will NOT ship to Ireland.
    We CAN order and have the device shipped to the United Kingdom. (Parcel Motel here we come)
    The device will NOT be repaired under Warranty while it is outside the UK.

I'm waiting on permission from a friend to post the email.
    Email.
    A little worrying they won't honour warranties here. [/QUOTE]

Its not legal to do this anywhere in the EU, so whom ever gave you that information is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Friend got a reply from Google.

The Play Store will NOT ship to Ireland.
    We CAN order and have the device shipped to the United Kingdom. (Parcel Motel here we come)
    The device will NOT be repaired under Warranty while it is outside the UK.

I'm waiting on permission from a friend to post the email.
    Email.

A little worrying they won't honour warranties here.

Its not legal to do this anywhere in the EU, so whom ever gave you that information is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Updated my credit card address to parcel motel in northern ireland.

So It should be possible to sign into play uk store and order this phone tomorrow?

Who do you bank with and how did you go about doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What the **** is up with the nexus phones and not supporting FM radio?

It really bugs me too and I've had a number of arguments with one of the people responsible for this over the last couple of years.
    Their main argument is that FM radio is not needed when the vast majority of stations are streamed.

Who do you bank with and how did you go about doing this?

AIB, did it online.. you need code card codes to do it..

Click Manage your accounts on the left..

Then click your credit card...

Should be an option to change address...

Will change it back once/if get the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Money transferred to the GF in America, about €300 after bank fees. Now I've just to wait 6 weeks :P

Any ideas on the best way to bring it through the airport? Box in checked luggage, phone in hand luggage etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

AIB, did it online.. you need code card codes to do it..

Click Manage your accounts on the left..

Then click your credit card...

Should be an option to change address...

Will change it back once/if get the phone!

Ah I see. Looks like this option is available on the Bank Of Ireland online banking too but the address change request is sent to your local branch for processing so it'll probably take a few days to process

• Advertisement

Ah I see. Looks like this option is available on the Bank Of Ireland online banking too but the address change request is sent to your local branch for processing so it'll probably take a few days to process

Seems to have updated automatically on mine.

How do I access UK play store? Im guessing it will be able to tell im play irish and block me from trying to buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

TPD wrote: »
    Money transferred to the GF in America, about €300 after bank fees. Now I've just to wait 6 weeks :P

Any ideas on the best way to bring it through the airport? Box in checked luggage, phone in hand luggage etc?

I'd be weary about putting anything of value in my checked in luggage.
    Did it once coming from NY a few a years back with an ipod classic.
    Got home box opened, ipod gone. Claimed insurance but it was just the hassle of it all. I'd leave it in the hand luggage to be honest.

Ste- wrote: »
    I'd be weary about putting anything of value in my checked in luggage.
    Did it once coming from NY a few a years back with an ipod classic.
    Got home box opened, ipod gone. Claimed insurance but it was just the hassle of it all. I'd leave it in the hand luggage to be honest.

I was thinking that. Would she face any problems with customs etc. bringing a new boxed phone in her hand luggage? I was thinking she could open it and take the phone in her pocket / hand luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was thinking that. Would she face any problems with customs etc. bringing a new boxed phone in her hand luggage? I was thinking she could open it and take the phone in her pocket / hand luggage.

Safer to have the phone in the hand luggage and the box in the main suitcase.
    Actually, is the box needed at all?
    My brother-in-law brought back a Kindle Fire from New York last Christmas and a Nexus 7 in the summer. Both times he didn't bring the box at all and just brought the device in his hand luggage.
    The box is a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

It would be up to you if you wanted her to take it out of the box. maybe get a cover also if she's going to be doing that.
    Wonder what if she was stopped with it and she just said it was a gift for someone ? Not up on customs going through airports etc so it's up to you on what chances you're going to take, but I would 100% never put anything of value in my case, learned my lesson the hard way on that.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Safer to have the phone in the hand luggage and the box in the main suitcase.
    Actually, is the box needed at all?
    My brother-in-law brought back a Kindle Fire from New York last Christmas and a Nexus 7 in the summer. Both times he didn't bring the box at all and just brought the device in his hand luggage.
    The box is a dead giveaway.

The box isn't needed exactly... It's just I won't be able to unbox it without :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Im in work so I cant use anything like tunnelbear at the moment.
    Can someone tell me how much the phone is listed in dollars and GBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

$299/£239 for the 8gb version

$349/£279 for the 16gb.

I have a northern ireland bank account but its registered to an irish address so im wondering if this will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I brought home a Nexus 7 from the States in the middle of September. Had it unopened in my checked luggage and I had no problems with it. I had a slip in my luggage when I opened it saying it was checked by the TSA. I had a few hundred dollars worth of clothes in there as well.

I was a bit worried but nothing happened in the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Once the final value of the phone is under the dollar equivalent of €430, customs duty and VAT will not apply (on that item only).

So, if she has other items, including duty-free products, that bring the combined total of imported goods above this value, she will have to pay duty, and probably VAT, on each item that is would cause an excess of €430 to the total.

Whether it's a gift or not makes no difference to customs duty in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Heroditas wrote: »
    It really bugs me too and I've had a number of arguments with one of the people responsible for this over the last couple of years.
    Their main argument is that FM radio is not needed when the vast majority of stations are streamed.
    Still a major flaw as the unit is designed to serve as a developer's unit. How can they develop anything pertaining to the radio function?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I've looked at the Nexus 4 and compared it to the S3 and Iphone. I don't listen to music on it at all so don't mind not having space. Is there a reason people aren't going for this phone beside the storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

NoelJ wrote: »
    I've looked at the Nexus 4 and compared it to the S3 and Iphone. I don't listen to music on it at all so don't mind not having space. Is there a reason people aren't going for this phone beside the storage?

Removable battery is another issue for some people. I'll miss it since I have an S3 but it's not a deal breaker for me.

So, only that one place sells them for Ireland outside if google store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

harney wrote: »
    What time do we expect this to go on sale in the Google store, 09:00?

08:00 apparently

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/new-google-nexus-devices-hit-uk-tomorrow-with-google-play-music-store-1111960

• Advertisement
Advertisement