Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

kenyard wrote: »
    and now you know why they are sold out also :P
    mobile operators probably stuck in a bump for a load of them. very strange o2 in uk are stocking it like that when u can buy it through store easily in uk anyways.
    anyone getting that phone will probably be aware of that fact...

What I can't understand is how any operator reckons they can sell at that price while there's still a chance Google will come up with another batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

alkso for anyone who was struggling to buy. try this next time
    Update: Some readers, like Henk van Ess are reporting that they’re still able to snag them. He used Chrome to make his purchase as other browsers wouldn’t allow him to complete the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

mystic86 wrote: »
    anybody hear anything about when the next batch will be available??

"In the coming weeks"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shocking level of preparedness really by google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

kenyard wrote: »
    and now you know why they are sold out also :P
    mobile operators probably stuck in a bump for a load of them. very strange o2 in uk are stocking it like that when u can buy it through store easily in uk anyways.
    anyone getting that phone will probably be aware of that fact...

I doubt this is true to be honest. We're in the minority most people who want a phone will go into the shop, figure out which ones are the latest and therefore "best" play around with them, have a look at the packages on offer and then choose one. I doubt they'd even consider they could save over £100 buying it from Google instead.
    long_b wrote: »
    What I can't understand is how any operator reckons they can sell at that price while there's still a chance Google will come up with another batch.

As we've seen from links posted in this very thread, they probably don't have much of a choice, LG are setting the RRP at something like €599, if O2 matched Googles price not only would they probably be losing money but a lot of people who bought from them would have no intention of using their service and would simply unlock it themselves leaving O2 out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Btw google store does not work in Ireland, so it is same problem like kindle fire from amazon for us? Really annoying.

Well, getting hands on nexus 4 is going to be quite hard for quite awhile so

Btw google store does not work in Ireland, so it is same problem like kindle fire from amazon for us? Really annoying.

Well, getting hands on nexus 4 is going to be quite hard for quite awhile so

Not really, a cursory glance at the last few pages will tell you how to do it, a look in my post history will show I've been saying how to do it for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

5starpool wrote: »
    Shocking level of preparedness really by google.
    Actually clever marketing, straight from the Apple playbook. Restrict supply in the first few weeks to increase demand and create a buzz that your product is so hot it's sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

there seems to be ''rattling'' issues reported from users from the xda forum who purchased it today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

they received it already?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

bought from an o2 store, they tested several ones in stores as well all showing the same problem it seems

If this is to be believed the 4 could be back on sale in 3 days

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106515095432315677569/posts/fAA6PNbUxCK
    I just spoke with Google about the #nexus4 launch.
    Please be patient. The Google Play Orders are based on one server, which understandably got bombarded. In addition to that, they are being cautious about orders. They learned their lesson with the #nexus7 launch, and are trying hard to avoid the same backlog of orders. Part of that is auditing the orders. Another part of that is their experience in Australia and the UK, in which the phones sold out in just over 20 minutes each time.
    One incident was cited this morning in which a guy had 10 orders...of 4 phones...all processed withing 13 seconds of one another. I'm sure you can understand the issue there.
    Didn't get yours? That's okay...neither did I...and neither did a lot of Google staff...yet (yes, they order phones just like the rest of us). You will, though...you will. If you don't get it today, the next scheduled release is in 3 days once they can get a better handle on orders and stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

I got a notification mail this morning but like for most people it was sold out too quickly; I didn't even see the 16Gb in stock which is the one I wanted. I managed to get the Nexus 10 though. Anyway, I re-submitted my email address to be notified for the Nexus 4 - does anyone know if Google will send me another notification mail once they get it back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kevob_3

Can someone go through the process of how I order one from Ireland using Google Wallet and Parcel Motel please? I want to get it all set up ASAP as no one knows when they'll be restocked! So this is what I understand so far... I set up Google Wallet - but how do I make it as if I'm in the UK? Then I use TunnelBear to access the Google Play Store. And then I get it delivered to the Parcel Motel place in NI - I'm new to Parcel Motel too, do I need an account or how does it work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

kevob_3 wrote: »
    Can someone go through the process of how I order one from Ireland using Google Wallet and Parcel Motel please? I want to get it all set up ASAP as no one knows when they'll be restocked! So this is what I understand so far... I set up Google Wallet - but how do I make it as if I'm in the UK? Then I use TunnelBear to access the Google Play Store. And then I get it delivered to the Parcel Motel place in NI - I'm new to Parcel Motel too, do I need an account or how does it work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Go to parcel motel and sign up. Note their address in Antrim.

Call your credit card company and change your billing address, alternatively I've read about people changing debit card addressee without calling up.

Download tunnelbear and get yourself a Uk proxy.

Go on to the play store while using the proxy/vpn (these terms are interchangeable here) you are now on the UK Play store.

Add a new card with your UK billing address. Some places might not allow you to use your parcel motel address.

Add your delivery address as your parcel motel address in Antrim.

Wait for them to come back into stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Nolimits wrote: »
    Call your credit card company and change your billing address, alternatively I've read about people changing debit card addressee without calling up.

Are we 100% sure it's required to change your card billing address to the UK? I can get as far as the final check-out screen to order a Nexus 7 using my Irish card and Parcel Motel NI address.

I'd rather not use a UK address, no matter for how short a time, on my card if it's not completely necessary.

An earlier poster quoted an email from a Google customer service rep:
    At this time our shipping partner does not offer courier services in Ireland. You do have the option of ordering a device and having it shipped to an accessible address in the United Kingdom.

This suggests we can order a device and have it shipped to the UK but he doesn't mention the requirement of having a UK billing address.

... Why do Google need to be so confusing?! :(

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Go to parcel motel and sign up. Note their address in Antrim.

Download tunnelbear and get yourself a Uk proxy.

Go on to the play store while using the proxy/vpn (these terms are interchangeable here) you are now on the UK Play store.

Add a new card with your UK billing address. Some places might not allow you to use your parcel motel address.

Add your delivery address as your parcel motel address in Antrim.

Wait for them to come back into stock.

You have to wonder given how cumbersome Google makes it for Irish people to purchase their products if they're taking the Cartmanland approach (look how great it is, and YOU can't have one).

Personally, I'm not buying anything from Google again until they stop treating Irish people as second class citizens.

You have to wonder given how cumbersome Google makes it for Irish people to purchase their products if they're taking the Cartmanland approach (look how great it is, and YOU can't have one).

Personally, I'm not buying anything from Google again until they stop treating Irish people as second class citizens.
    Our laws are out of date and make it very awkward for the likes of Google to offer music and movies here. They'll get around to us but compared to other countries we're a very small market that probably isn't worth making a priority given how difficult it is.

Are we 100% sure it's required to change your card billing address to the UK? I can get as far as the final check-out screen to order a Nexus 7 using my Irish card and Parcel Motel NI address.

I'd rather not use a UK address, no matter for how short a time, on my card if it's not completely necessary.

An earlier poster quoted an email from a Google customer service rep:

This suggests we can order a device and have it shipped to the UK but he doesn't mention the requirement of having a UK billing address.

... Why do Google need to be so confusing?! :(

If we don't need to then I'd like to know. I've been taking it from when I go to buy music etc from Google Play. It tells me I need a Uk credit card but maybe it's different for devices.

If we don't need to then I'd like to know. I've been taking it from when I go to buy music etc from Google Play. It tells me I need a Uk credit card but maybe it's different for devices.

At what point in the process are you asked to enter a UK billing address for your card?

Has anyone successfully ordered a device using an Irish billing address with UK shipping address or have all the successful purchasers used a UK billing address?

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

• Advertisement

At what point in the process are you asked to enter a UK billing address for your card?

Has anyone successfully ordered a device using an Irish billing address with UK shipping address or have all the successful purchasers used a UK billing address?
    It asks me how I want to pay for it but my card is greyed out

Just checked again with the N7 and I get the same problem, Irish cards are greyed out as "Unsupported Payment Method". Apologies, I thought I was allowed select one yesterday.

It asks me how I want to pay for it but my card is greyed out

When you set up the card on Google wallet did you set up the billing address as the parcel motel address and made sure the country selected is the UK?

When I got through to the final screen yesterday morning I had no problem selecting my card, BOI Visa Debit with parcel motel set as billing address. I couldn't purchase because it was busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

When you set up the card on Google wallet did you set up the billing address as the parcel motel address and made sure the country selected is the UK?

When I got through to the final screen yesterday morning I had no problem selecting my card, BOI Visa Debit with parcel motel set as billing address. I couldn't purchase because it was busy.

Just to confirm , your BOI visa debit still has it's address to the republic ?

For example i was planning on delivering mine to the north to a relatives house, Ideally i'd prefer to not use their credit cards so was hoping visa debit or my mastercard (both with irish addresses) with a northern delivery address would suffice

edited for clarity

Pages wrote: »
    Just to confirm , your BOI visa debit still has it's address to the republic ?

For example i was planning on delivering mine to the north to a relatives house, Ideally i'd prefer to not use their credit cards so was hoping visa debit or my mastercard with a north address would suffice

Yep BOI Visa debit has an Irish address on it as far as the bank is concerned. I don't know for sure if its going to work when I finally get a chance to buy the Nexus 4 but all I'm saying is it wasn't greyed out for me when I got to the accept and buy screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

I'm starting to regret pre-ordering the Nexus 4 from handtec. I just spoke to one of their representatives and he wasn't helpful at all and was kind of rude too. They have no ETA and no idea whatsoever when it they'll have it.

• Advertisement

Yep BOI Visa debit has an Irish address on it as far as the bank is concerned. I don't know for sure if its going to work when I finally get a chance to buy the Nexus 4 but all I'm saying is it wasn't greyed out for me when I got to the accept and buy screen.
    I don't think it will. At the moment it's not greyed out because everything looks okay. However once they actually try to take out the money your bank will most likely refuse the money as the billing address is wrong and it will look like fraud. The good news is your bank might be willing to change your billing address, my credit card company said it would be no problem.

If O2 in the UK are selling the N4 on a contract, is it possible to buy it off them SIM-free for a higher price?

If O2 in the UK are selling the N4 on a contract, is it possible to buy it off them SIM-free for a higher price?
    Yep, £400

Yep, £400

Well I had my iPhone 4 stolen a month ago and the insurance company are sending me a cheque of €450 for a replacement. Would anyone recommend whether I wait for Google to re-stock the N4 or should I just go ahead and order it from O2 UK as I would essentially be trading in my iPhone and then paying an extra €40 or so + delivery?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/High/LG/Nexus%204

If I were to buy the N4 on pay as you go for £400, as soon as I buy it do just never top up with O2 UK and then bring it into my local 3 store here in Dublin, which is my network and get a new micro SIM from them and it will all work perfectly then?

• Advertisement

If I were to buy the N4 on pay as you go for £400, as soon as I buy it do just never top up with O2 UK and then bring it into my local 3 store here in Dublin, which is my network and get a new micro SIM from them and it will all work perfectly then?
    You'll probably need to get it unlocked. To be honest, unless you have no phone at the moment I'd rather wait and have a few extra quid in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Id say the phone is locked to 02 uk until you spend a certain amount of call credit with them

You'll probably need to get it unlocked. To be honest, unless you have no phone at the moment I'd rather wait and have a few extra quid in my pocket.

I have no phone and I haven't had one since mine got stolen over a month ago! Two weeks ago I was about to buy an unlocked Samsung GSIII for nearly €500 using the money from the insurance but then I discovered the N4 and decided to wait until yesterday... which we all know was a huge disappointment! I'll have to enquire with O2 UK and see what the policy is with getting a Pay As You Go phone unlocked.

I have no phone and I haven't had one since mine got stolen over a month ago! Two weeks ago I was about to buy an unlocked Samsung GSIII for nearly €500 using the money from the insurance but then I discovered the N4 and decided to wait until yesterday... which we all know was a huge disappointment! I'll have to enquire with O2 UK and see what the policy is with getting a Pay As You Go phone unlocked.

On XDA the first user who posted about a “rattling” noise in his N4 bought his from O2 UK Prepay. The store told him it was network locked but his 3 UK sim worked first go. What can happen with some phones bought through networks is they are unlocked until you insert a sim for the first time and then it registers. I’m not saying this is definitely the case (e.g. all Meteor phones were unlocked for a period – not sure if it’s still like that) but just letting you know what happened.

For peace of mind I’d wait for Google store to re-stock, rumours are ranging from 3 days to 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

For those who ordered though the play store do you know if you can get this VAT free if you have an appropriate VAT number?

PopnFresh wrote: »
    For peace of mind I’d wait for Google store to re-stock, rumours are ranging from 3 days to 2 weeks.

But how do we know that the same limited stock isn't going to reappear and most of us will be left disappointed again? I've also got friends heading over to London this weekend so that eliminates any delivery cost and hassle with Parcel Motel that I'd have to go through with the Google Store. It's a tough decision but I'll have to make it before the weekend!

PopnFresh wrote: »
    On XDA the first user who posted about a “rattling” noise in his N4 bought his from O2 UK Prepay. The store told him it was network locked but his 3 UK sim worked first go. What can happen with some phones bought through networks is they are unlocked until you insert a sim for the first time and then it registers. I’m not saying this is definitely the case (e.g. all Meteor phones were unlocked for a period – not sure if it’s still like that) but just letting you know what happened.

Don't think that's how it works, in my experience though if you get a phone on or about release day it will be unlocked. The networks only get them a couple of days before they go on sale and physically don't have the time to lock them to their networks, give it a week or so and they will probably start turning up locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

AFAIK one of the conditions with networks selling Nexus phones is that Google have explicitly prevented them from locking the device. The Galaxy Nexus sold by Vodafone here last year was not locked to any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

I used my Irish visa debit card with a UK delivery address via parcel motel. I needed a UK VPN to get access to the Google play uk. For payment Google play wouldn't initially accept the Irish debit card. So I simply followed on the screen steps and added my current Irish visa debit card as a UK card. This card was exactly the same as my irish card I.e. all my Irish details were identical accept I had to add a UK post code as it wouldn't accept an Irish one. After that I was able to select my Irish debit card with the UK postcode for payment. I tested buying an app in sterling from UK play store and it worked perfectly. I then bought the N4. Their is no need to change billing address of your credit/debit card.

The N4 order went through and was accepted and I got an email today saying they have now dispatched the N4 wooha!

gdon wrote: »
    I used my Irish visa debit card with a UK delivery address via parcel motel. I needed a UK VPN to get access to the Google play uk. For payment Google play wouldn't initially accept the Irish debit card. So I simply followed on the screen steps and added my current Irish visa debit card as a UK card. This card was exactly the same as my irish card I.e. all my Irish details were identical accept I had to add a UK post code as it wouldn't accept an Irish one. After that I was able to select my Irish debit card with the UK postcode for payment. I tested buying an app in sterling from UK play store and it worked perfectly. I then bought the N4. Their is no need to change billing address of your credit/debit card.

The N4 order went through and was accepted and I got an email today saying they have now dispatched the N4 wooha!

I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order from handtec and go this route.

I have one question before I do this and I'd appreciate input from anyone that knows the answer. I used my AIB mastercard to pay for the handtec order and I already paid the amount from my current account to the mastercard. If I cancel my order with handtec and they refund me, what happens? Will my mastercard balance go in the negative? Or will the money be sent to my current account?

• Advertisement

3bs wrote: »

I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order from handtec and go this route.

I have one question before I do this and I'd appreciate input from anyone that knows the answer. I used my AIB mastercard to pay for the handtec order and I already paid the amount from my current account to the mastercard. If I cancel my order with handtec and they refund me, what happens? Will my mastercard balance go in the negative? Or will the money be sent to my current account?

I am not sure I understand that. As far as I can see the money will be refunded to the card you have used to pay. Unless you paid with a card that operates from your current account the money will not go back to that account. It seems from what you say that the current account and the MasterCard are separate accounts ? if so money will be refunded to the MasterCard account as it was that card you used to make the purchase. You will need to check with hantech to see how long the process takes.

If you make an order on Google play they take the money immediately from your account but the actual transaction is only finalised when the order is dispatched and accepted.

I am not sure I understand that. As far as I can see the money will be refunded to the card you have used to pay. Unless you paid with a card that operates from your current account the money will not go back to that account. It seems from what you say that the current account and the MasterCard are separate accounts ? if so money will be refunded to the MasterCard account as it was that card you used to make the purchase. You will need to check with hantech to see how long the process takes.

If you make an order on Google play they take the money immediately from your account but the actual transaction is only finalised when the order is dispatched and accepted.

I don't know if all mastercards work this way but my AIB student mastercard works like this: my mastercards starts at 0euro. I buy something worth 100 euro and the mastercard balance is now 100 euro. I eventually have to pay the amount that's on the mastercard which is what I did therefore dropping my mastercard balance back to 0 euro. Now if I get a refund what will happen? Does my mastercard balance drop below zero? I guess I might have to get in contact with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

Is anyone else getting the error screen in Google Wallet saying that their card needs to be verified and must send in proof of ownership or something?

GWNiall wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the error screen in Google Wallet saying that their card needs to be verified and must send in proof of ownership or something?

I have read about it on one of the xda forums.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1978281

They have blocked your Google wallet account, send on information that is requested and your account will be unblocked. Also contact Google wallet support and ask them what the problem is.

Just to clarify, you just stuck a Uk post code onto your Irish address? I take it your country was listed as UK in the address or did you leave Ireland there?

I used my Irish visa debit card with a UK delivery address via parcel motel.

Great news thanks a million for sharing man!

3bs wrote: »
    I don't know if all mastercards work this way but my AIB student mastercard works like this: my mastercards starts at 0euro. I buy something worth 100 euro and the mastercard balance is now 100 euro. I eventually have to pay the amount that's on the mastercard which is what I did therefore dropping my mastercard balance back to 0 euro. Now if I get a refund what will happen? Does my mastercard balance drop below zero? I guess I might have to get in contact with AIB.

Yes all Credit Cards work the same way. You will be refunded to the credit card so if you currently owe 0 on the card and they process the refund you will be in credit balance.
    If you order your N4 from the Google Play Store with the same card it will use up the credit balance.

If you had a Visa/Master Debit Card the funds would come straight out of your current account. Similarly any refunds would also be returned directly in to your current account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Has anyone had theirs shipped yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

smackyB wrote: »
    AFAIK one of the conditions with networks selling Nexus phones is that Google have explicitly prevented them from locking the device. The Galaxy Nexus sold by Vodafone here last year was not locked to any network.

Yes but they said it was locked to them only, i fought with the guy for about 10 mins telling him it cant be locked, its Pure Google OS. I ended up buying it and installing my metoer sim in front of him.

At worked flawlessly. He wasn't impressed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Is this back in stock yet? Also do you have to up sign up once again at the Google Play store to be notified of becoming in stock again, or would they just send out another mail like last time?

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Is this back in stock yet? Also do you have to up sign up once again at the Google Play store to be notified of becoming in stock again, or would they just send out another mail like last time?

It's still out of stock on the UK Play Store. There's no option on the current page to be notified of when they are back in stock so I would assume you will need to keep an eye on it.

Advertisement