Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Did you order from Google or Flubit? Mine was ordered on Flubit. Might give them a call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

robo wrote: »
    Did you order from Google or Flubit? Mine was ordered on Flubit. Might give them a call today.

Flubit & delivery via Parcel Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Strandinista

I ordered my Nexus 4 through Flubit, only took 7 days to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just pulled the trigger on ordering a Nexus 4 via Flubit :) Will be a big step up from my Hauwei G300 I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

made a request on flubit last night but i got this reply..
    We’re really sorry, but our team was unable to determine which exact product you wanted from the URL you provided us with. For us to be able to create you a better offer we need the link to a page where the item is available for immediate sale and home delivery
    i used this link.. https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

does anyone know the link that i should be using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Try this if it's the 16GB one you are after. I think they may have updated the addresses slightly, I got the same this week using the links provided in the sticky on ordering via flubit for a nexus 10
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_16GB?id=nexus_4_16gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on ordering a Nexus 4 via Flubit :) Will be a big step up from my Hauwei G300 I think!
    Well done! Let us know how the process goes for you. Good luck! :)
    ooter wrote: »
    made a request on flubit last night but i got this reply..
    We’re really sorry, but our team was unable to determine which exact product you wanted from the URL you provided us with. For us to be able to create you a better offer we need the link to a page where the item is available for immediate sale and home delivery
    i used this link.. https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

does anyone know the link that i should be using?
    You highlighted and copied the link, which includes the ellipsis. You should in future right-click any hyperlink and copy it ("Copy link address" in Chrome). natnifnolnacs' link is grand but since Boards adds the ellipsis, you still should not highlight and copy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Do you mind me asking what deal you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Is the nexus 4 still at the same price since will say a few months back?
    Can we expect to see a price drop anytime soon?

bidiots wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what deal you got?
    £272 incl. delivery - I actually had a slightly better offer a few months ago when I originally considered buying, but the difference was less than a tenner so doesn't concern me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Is the nexus 4 still at the same price since will say a few months back?
    Can we expect to see a price drop anytime soon?

My question too.

I'm also wondering if Google will discontinue the Nexus 4 when the "Nexus 5" comes out, and if the "Nexus 5" will be around the same price.

My question too.

I'm also wondering if Google will discontinue the Nexus 4 when the "Nexus 5" comes out, and if the "Nexus 5" will be around the same price.
    Any answer given would be mere speculation. We don't even know when Android 4.3 will come out in spite of leaked builds for the S4 GE and Nexus 4 coming out. Google will not likely give any information and this is the first time Google has sold its own phones nearly exclusively, so there's nothing to reference.

My take is that it's unlikely they will reduce the price and if they don't discontinue it straight away, I can't see it being on sale for too long after the Nexus 5, or whatever it'll be called, comes out.

The best advice is this. If you can hold out until the "fall," you should wait and get in there quickly before they sell out. If they're as short on stock as they were when the Nexus 4 was released, it's going to be sold out very quickly. If you really want a new phone ASAP, there's nothing wrong with the Nexus 4, it's still a cracking phone as it's less than a year old, and it's damn cheap as it is. As ionapaul stated, he's getting one (16GB) for £272, which today is ~€316, including delivery. Not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Any answer given would be mere speculation. We don't even know when Android 4.3 will come out in spite of leaked builds for the S4 GE and Nexus 4 coming out. Google will not likely give any information and this is the first time Google has sold its own phones nearly exclusively, so there's nothing to reference.

My take is that it's unlikely they will reduce the price and if they don't discontinue it straight away, I can't see it being on sale for too long after the Nexus 5, or whatever it'll be called, comes out.

The best advice is this. If you can hold out until the "fall," you should wait and get in there quickly before they sell out. If they're as short on stock as they were when the Nexus 4 was released, it's going to be sold out very quickly. If you really want a new phone ASAP, there's nothing wrong with the Nexus 4, it's still a cracking phone as it's less than a year old, and it's damn cheap as it is. As ionapaul stated, he's getting one (16GB) for £272, which today is ~€316, including delivery. Not bad!

I agree entirely. Furthermore, assuming the status quo remains and the next nexus is released exclusively on the play store and not available to the irish market - I don't see you getting it for months. I know availability of the Nexus 4 was poor, but all nexus devices sell out almost immediately upon release, and Flubit's 48 hour turnaround just won't cut it. Unless you're willing to pay out extra to get it off adverts, amazon etc. then you might as well snap up the current Nexus at a good price while it's still about. :)

There is a way to shorten the turnaround period on Flubit and that is to get points by referring people, friends and the like. During weekdays, you can spend 100 points per demand to speed up the turnaround to 24 hours or so.

I created a demand for something on Dabs.com on Wednesday and used 100 points.

Demand: 17/07/2013 - 15:37
    Offer: 17/07/2013 - 20:29

Hope that could be enough to get an order through on time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Ordered through Flubit yesterday. Just wondering will I receive an email of any kind when it ships, or will I just keep checking my Parcel Motel account balance?

You'll get an email from Flubit when it is dispatched. Then you can monitor the tracking of your parcel on http://www.parcelforce.com/track-trace using the DIR number which you will find on the Delivery tab of your Flubit account online. Its only available when they despatch the phone.
    That is where I am now - mine has now been delivered to PM, so waiting for a notification from Parcel Motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

ordered one today,got no confirmation email from flubit but i did get one from paypal.:)
    i know it'll probably be a couple of weeks but i'm looking forward to getting me hands on it.
    it's probably been asked before but does the phone come with a charger/usb cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Nexus 7 II announced today, not set for launch in Ireland however UK is included, as expected :) Not showing much hope for a Nexus 5 launch here even though we have more options in the Play Store as of late.

ordered one today,got no confirmation email from flubit but i did get one from paypal.:)
    i know it'll probably be a couple of weeks but i'm looking forward to getting me hands on it.
    it's probably been asked before but does the phone come with a charger/usb cable?
    Don't worry about that. You should be notified when it's dispatched, which can take up to 2 weeks (sometimes up to a week longer). Once you're patient, you'll be able to relax knowing that it will come.

It comes with a small cable (about 1m) and a travel adapter charger (UK plug) where the USB cable can slot into.

• Advertisement

that's great,thanks.

It is here...at last! :D
    Thanks again DECEiFER for the ordering tips, you are a star

robo wrote: »
    It is here...at last! :D
    Thanks again DECEiFER for the ordering tips, you are a star
    Not a bother! Enjoy yourself and keep an eye out for an OTA for 4.3 between now and the coming days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi guys

A bit of a novice question,I rooted my n4 for the first time a few months ago...Im running stock rom with franco kernel and cwm as recovery,with 4.3 rolling out Im just wondering how do I go about updating to 4.3 from 4.2.2? Should I accept the OTA push? or should i flash back to stock rom(I made an nandroid backup before I rooted) and then update it with the push notification? or finally can you just flash a stock rom of 4.3 onto your phone with cwm similiar to as you do with custom roms?

Sorry for all the questions,just never updated a rooted phone before

Cheers

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi guys

A bit of a novice question,I rooted my n4 for the first time a few months ago...Im running stock rom with franco kernel and cwm as recovery,with 4.3 rolling out Im just wondering how do I go about updating to 4.3 from 4.2.2? Should I accept the OTA push? or should i flash back to stock rom(I made an nandroid backup before I rooted) and then update it with the push notification? or finally can you just flash a stock rom of 4.3 onto your phone with cwm similiar to as you do with custom roms?

Sorry for all the questions,just never updated a rooted phone before

Cheers
    The only way you can successfully install an OTA when rooted is to be on the stock kernel and have no recovery. Flashing back to the stock 4.2.2 kernel is possible in CWM/TWRP (I've done it) and using one of the root toolkits should be able to also flash the stock kernel, ignoring my link above, and also get rid of the custom recovery, replacing it with the stock one (press "Launch" under "Advanced Utilities" for the options to do these).

If you have any file modifications in the /system partition, that's another story. You'll then definitely have to flash back to stock. I'm in that boat because I have a custom battery, bootloader, and some other files that I've modified in there so I'll be flashing back to 4.2.2 stock and then accepting the OTA. You won't be able to flash 4.3 in CWM as it's not a compatible image, it'd have to be done manually using fastboot commands but I believe the image comes with a .bat file that has all the commands inside it, so running that should automate the process (making sure all the files from the image are extracted into the same directory as it and fastboot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Apologies mods,I should have posted my question in the owners thread,was browsing both and didnt realize this was the ordering process,feel free to move it to the owners thread.

celticsfan wrote: »
    Apologies mods,I should have posted my question in the owners thread,was browsing both and didnt realize this was the ordering process,feel free to move it to the owners thread.
    Ah don't worry, it happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Guys, looking to put through an order soon I hope just have a few quick questions. What is the current price for the 8GB version, is it still £239? For anyone that has the phone, how does it stand up to the Galaxy S4 and the HTC one? Should I wait for a few months to see if any new models are announced?

Thanks,
    Eoin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Guys, looking to put through an order soon I hope just have a few quick questions. What is the current price for the 8GB version, is it still £239? For anyone that has the phone, how does it stand up to the Galaxy S4 and the HTC one? Should I wait for a few months to see if any new models are announced?

Thanks,
    Eoin

The S4 and the one will have better performance and better quality screens. The nexus will get more updates for longer and quicker. Will you notice the performance difference or are they worth double the price is the real question though. I'd go with the nexus. The moment they release a nexus with more than 16GBs storage I'll be buying one.

Edit: just want to add that when looking at performance the nexus will perform worse in benchmarks but will probably have better real world performance and less lag and stutters because it doesn't have the over head of touchwiz and sense. I don't know about sense but touchwiz is a pig and despite the powerful hardware in my S3 it still suffered more lag compared to less powerful phones.

• Advertisement

got a dispatch confirmation email today,looks like i wont have to wait as long as i thought..:D

Edit: just want to add that when looking at performance the nexus will perform worse in benchmarks but will probably have better real world performance and less lag and stutters because it doesn't have the over head of touchwiz and sense. I don't know about sense but touchwiz is a pig and despite the powerful hardware in my S3 it still suffered more lag compared to less powerful phones.
    The Nexus 4 will beat the S III in mostly everything except for Quadrant, which is a joke of a benchmark. Geekbench, GLBenchmark, 3DMark, AnTuTu, etc., the Nexus 4 will get higher scores in all those. The S4 on the other hand blows it out of the water! Until the HTC One and Galaxy S4 came along, the Nexus 4 was pretty much top of the phone pile on Geekbench. Still a great phone for the money, there isn't more power per Euro out there (brand-new).

Here's a shot of my Geekbench rank from months ago:

264159.png
    got a dispatch confirmation email today,looks like i wont have to wait as long as i thought..:D
    Ya jammy bastard!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Nexus 4 will beat the S III in mostly everything except for Quadrant, which is a joke of a benchmark. Geekbench, GLBenchmark, 3DMark, AnTuTu, etc., the Nexus 4 will get higher scores in all those. The S4 on the other hand blows it out of the water! Until the HTC One and Galaxy S4 came along, the Nexus 4 was pretty much top of the phone pile on Geekbench. Still a great phone for the money, there isn't more power per Euro out there (brand-new).

I know, the Nexus 4 is a beast still. The first part of my edit was comparing the Nexus to the S4. When I said my S3 is laggy compared to lower spec phones I wasn't talking about the Nexus 4 though. I was talking about about the Jiayu G3S (low cost Chinese phone). It has a MediaTek quad core Cortex A7 processor which the Exynos in the S3 would run rings around it in benchmarks. The G3S comes with a rom that is very close to stock and I haven't noticed a single time that it has lagged (I was actually expecting it to be laggy at times). I wish I could say the same about the S3. I have used a Nexus and it is buttery smooth and I have never noticed any lag.

Even with the more powerful hardware of the S4, I imagine that TouchWiz could actually result in it being worse for real world usage than the Nexus for things like lag. Long story short, the increased performance of the S4 and One may be negated by the roms they are running and may actually perform worse than the nexus 4.

I know, the Nexus 4 is a beast still. The first part of my edit was comparing the Nexus to the S4. When I said my S3 is laggy compared to lower spec phones I wasn't talking about the Nexus 4 though. I was talking about about the Jiayu G3S (low cost Chinese phone). It has a MediaTek quad core Cortex A7 processor which the Exynos in the S3 would run rings around it in benchmarks. The G3S comes with a rom that is very close to stock and I haven't noticed a single time that it has lagged (I was actually expecting it to be laggy at times). I wish I could say the same about the S3. I have used a Nexus and it is buttery smooth and I have never noticed any lag.

Even with the more powerful hardware of the S4, I imagine that TouchWiz could actually result in it being worse for real world usage than the Nexus for things like lag. Long story short, the increased performance of the S4 and One may be negated by the roms they are running and may actually perform worse than the nexus 4.
    A great combination would be a custom ROM running the S4 camera app on stock AOSP. Kind of the best of both. The S4 GE sort of defeats the purpose of what the S4 is about, it's there to make another statement. That more phones can run the latest version of Google's pure Android and maybe those pie-charts showing the divide of Android versions installed on devices will start to shift more into Android 4.3.x and 5.0.x's favor.

You can't object to having the two S4 devices to choose from. Hopefully Samsung will get their act together and sometime in the near future, tame the pig, as you put it. :)

A great combination would be a custom ROM running the S4 camera app on stock AOSP. Kind of the best of both. The S4 GE sort of defeats the purpose of what the S4 is about, it's there to make another statement. That more phones can run the latest version of Google's pure Android and maybe those pie-charts showing the divide of Android versions installed on devices will start to shift more into Android 4.3.x and 5.0.x's favor.

You can't object to having the two S4 devices to choose from. Hopefully Samsung will get their act together and sometime in the near future, tame the pig, as you put it. :)

The problem with the GE phones is that Google still rely on Samsung for the kernel. This could really delay updates. It isn't as well optimised either so battery life is worse than an S4 using TouchWiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Ok folks, so after almost 3 weeks I've finally been emailed by flubit. Phone still not dispatched! Just says "Your order has now been confirmed with the supplier, and your estimated delivery date has been updated to the most accurate information available." Any idea how long it takes for dispatch after this email has been sent out?

• Advertisement

@Rob! my order took almost 3 weeks (would have been 3 weeks today) but got it Wednesday.
    But I called them last Friday & was told that they would look into my order (the main guy dealing with it was out til Monday) but I got a dispatch notification on Sunday afternoon. So no harm calling Fireworks as they are sound and will let you know that all is good & maybe push it up the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Emailed them today after I was told it would be mailed today but he says it will be sent out on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

Keep pestering them, if they say it will be sent out monday and it isn't then call them and ask why.

Just got an email from Flubit with a updated delivery time, should have it before wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

decided to buy one of these phones using flubit, placed order fri evening but still this morning it says processing payment / order being prepared for dispatch, is this normal or should it happen quicker, i thought the payment would have bene done quickly?

• Advertisement

Bulmers wrote: »
    decided to buy one of these phones using flubit, placed order fri evening but still this morning it says processing payment / order being prepared for dispatch, is this normal or should it happen quicker, i thought the payment would have bene done quickly?

It takes time anyway doing it through Flubit, I ordered about 2 weeks ago and just got a dispatch email this morning.

Bulmers wrote: »
    Thats just a message, but when I checked my pay pal account & credit card, it had gone out. So don't worry, the order is in the process. You won't get any other update until the phone is despatched! But sooo worth the wait! It will take about 2 weeks though for despatch!

I ordered last Saturday week, got my dispatch email this morning. 16gb version, I raised a support query last Thursday night to ask about estimated dispatch, wonder if that influenced things. How long does it typically take for items to get from Fireworks -> Parcel Motel in Dublin?

I ordered last Saturday week, got my dispatch email this morning. 16gb version, I raised a support query last Thursday night to ask about estimated dispatch, wonder if that influenced things. How long does it typically take for items to get from Fireworks -> Parcel Motel in Dublin?
    Just so you know, the package doesn't pass through Fireworks. They order it from Google using their account (in Flubit CEO's Bertie Stephens' name) and payment method but your name/address that you supply is the shipping address, which it goes directly to from Google. I presume they have an arrangement with Google so that they can have a different billing and shipping address, as us normal consumers aren't supposed to according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Looking to perhaps buy this. Just a few questions:

- I'm currently with O2 and my sim card is the old standard size. Will O2 provide me with a free micro-sim card I need? I'm currently just top-up every few weeks. Not part of a pay-as-you-go plan.

- What is support like ( and will be like going forward) for this phone? If it goes arse up am I screwed? Do Google themselves handle warranty/repairs or LG?

Thanks to all.

Looking to perhaps buy this. Just a few questions:

- I'm currently with O2 and my sim card is the old standard size. Will O2 provide me with a free micro-sim card I need? I'm currently just top-up every few weeks. Not part of a pay-as-you-go plan.

- What is support like ( and will be like going forward) for this phone? If it goes arse up am I screwed? Do Google themselves handle warranty/repairs or LG?

Thanks to all.
    O2 should be able to give you a free and blank micro SIM to which you can port your existing number. If you wanted a brand-new number on it, they'd probably charge you (like €10 or something).

Support is handled by Google and it's not good if you're in Ireland since they don't sell them here. This is why Flubit are the ones to go with as they'll deal with Google on your behalf and sort out any returns. I've already posted several times the many reasons why using Flubit is not only cheaper but also safer than trying to purchase from Google directly when in a country where devices aren't sold on Play and the supporting evidence is in this thread, albeit scattered throughout.

You should read my sticky on purchasing via Flubit, as it contains detailed information on the process and my own experiences when my device became defective within one hour of using it. Long story short, I had another in my hands in 6 days.

Sticky:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056940002

Just one more thing. Support in terms of software updates to the newest Android releases will be ongoing for a few years or more. The Nexus S, released in late 2010, went all the way from 2.3 up to 4.1.2 and it's only when 4.2 was released that the Galaxy Nexus was the oldest device to get an official update. It doesn't matter where you are, you'll automatically get the OTA update notification within a few days of it being released and pushed and without waiting for carriers/manufacturers to add their custom skins and apps, which takes months. I think our quad-core Nexus 4 devices will last longer than the Nexus S, which got nearly 2 years worth of updates. The same couldn't have been said for the original Galaxy S, which came out earlier in 2010 and was pretty similar to the Nexus S (same processor, clock speed, and graphics). Updates for the Galaxy S started at 2.1 and stopped at 2.3.6, between the latter's release in September 2011 and when Samsung got around to finishing their take on it in earlyish 2012.

I got one of the carphone warehouse staff to cut my sim down to micro sim, didn't cost a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14 encho

jozi wrote: »
    I got one of the carphone warehouse staff to cut my sim down to micro sim, didn't cost a thing
    Same here. They just trimmed it and it worked. Following this thread for a while and decided to jump the ship and ordered one last Friday. I'm bit worried though cause I go on vacation 12th August.

Have it in my hand now,got the text from parcel motel about a half hour ago and went straight down to get it.5 days,looks like I got very lucky..:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement