Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 ordering process

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I have a feeling that Google have sent all their spares (if they exist) to the US to get them out to the people waiting there. "Holiday Season"...thanksgiving is this week and they would be on a push to sort them before us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

:)
    Hmm... maybe THIS announcement about Google signing a Europe wide music deal with major labels could lead credibility to the possibility of the devices store launching here soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mystic86 wrote: »
    really?!

Yes!
    Hence the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

Below is the final price I paid for my N4 8gb via UK Google play

N4 8gb
    Nexus 4 (8GB) £239.00
    Shipping: £9.99
    Total: £248.99
    (Includes VAT of £41.50)

310.42 from Google play
    (248.99 sterling at exchange rate 0.802106)
    5.43 euro debit credit charge
    3.50 parcel motel delivery charge

Total 319.77 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I've (pre)ordered from handtec.co.uk, so far they don't even have dates on when they'll get in it stock. Could be after xmas for all I know :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Phonesonline.ie have no idea when they'll get them or how much they'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Loligator

You'd be best to get it direct if you can, since LG have already been marking it up through retailers etc.

Loligator wrote: »
    You'd be best to get it direct if you can, since LG have already been marking it up through retailers etc.

Tried using a UK ip yesterday and it was out of stock. If LG have it marked up more than €100 than the uk play store they can **** off to be honest. Gonna get a Galaxy nexus if there's no sign of the 4 in 2 weeks. Absolute cluster**** of a launch, apple iphone launches put google to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Tried using a UK ip yesterday and it was out of stock. If LG have it marked up more than €100 than the uk play store they can **** off to be honest. Gonna get a Galaxy nexus if there's no sign of the 4 in 2 weeks. Absolute cluster**** of a launch, apple iphone launches put google to shame.

Honestly the iPhone 5 launch has been pretty disastrous, at least for customers in Ireland. All networks had extremely limited stock and it has been delivered by Apple in drips throughout the first two months. We are almost in a position where any iPhone 5 you order today can be delivered within the week.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Why did you bother posting here? Was it to get a reaction or to spark an Android v Apple debate? Go get your Galaxy Nexus and be happy but please don't try and start an argument.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why did you bother posting here? Was it to get a reaction or to spark an Android v Apple debate? Go get your Galaxy Nexus and be happy but please don't try and start an argument.

I had no intention of starting a fanboy war, its just for such a major launch to be so restricted internationally, run out of stock instantly and have a 2 tier pricing structure. Lets not forget Google takes advantage of Irelands tax laws to save money but cant be bothered selling devices to irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joshhbk

To be fair, you say that as if Google don't actually want to sell the device in Ireland or have as many people using their media store as possible. As near as I'm aware, the reason that we don't have Play Music/Movies/Books in Ireland is because getting something like that up and running here is made very difficult by the laws and licencing in this country. iTunes was and is far less good in Ireland when you compare it to the amount of content available for users in other countries (this is something which is improving, but still), look at how long it took Spotify to get to market here and look at other services such as the PSN store.

The entire reason why Google is selling it so cheap, as noted, is to get people spending money on music, movies and books. When it cannot do so in this country right now, for whatever reason, it simply does not make business sense to try and get the device into the hands of Irish users ahead of other regions where they'll actually make money by doing so. And this is coming from someone who desperately wants a Nexus 4 and is considering paying far above and beyond the €299 price tag to do so.

Similarly, as noted by Android Police last week, it was almost literally impossible for them to gauge demand for it and as a result having the stock to match demand was practically impossible. Apple has far more experience at launching its own devices and besides anything, what Google is doing here is incredibly important for the consumer. How much is a new iPhone unlocked? How much are we all getting riddled for on eighteen month or two year contracts? Google may have botched this launch to some extent but I think when we're looking back at this in five years it will be seen as a landmark moment in a lot of ways. Gaining some control from carriers without spending huge amounts of money up front for a top of the range device is very, very important in my opinion and anybody attempting to provide this is doing a very positive thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I've just heard from a number of different, unrelated sources that Google are planning on trailing a retail store here in Ireland.
    That would also lend credibility to the online store being available here as well.

Seemingly this is going to happen quite soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I've just heard from a number of different, unrelated sources that Google are planning on trailing a retail store here in Ireland.
    That would also lend credibility to the online store being available here as well.

Maybe they read it here http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-09/google-plans-first-retail-store-at-europe-headquarters-building-in-dublin.html

Which Google were quick to deny http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/25729-google-says-no-plans-to-ope

Though the denial did seem a little half hearted
    "We already have an online store selling things like Google T-shirts and pens.We have the option of a small space doing the same in our Dublin office but we've not made any decisions, it's simply a planning application"

I'd love a device store to open up here, I also love to be able to buy the likes of music and or movies here, but I really don't see it happening soon, by soon I mean the next few weeks.

PopnFresh wrote: »
    Honestly the iPhone 5 launch has been pretty disastrous, at least for customers in Ireland. All networks had extremely limited stock and it has been delivered by Apple in drips throughout the first two months. We are almost in a position where any iPhone 5 you order today can be delivered within the week.

As if by magic
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/iphone/apple-expected-to-catch-up-with-iphone-5-demand-in-2-weeks/

How long is the iphone 5 out now? And this is from a company that's been doing this for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

As i've got a work pc and work laptop for home, I dont want to start messing around with IP addresses. I will do it on my sisters laptop when I am in her house.
    If these are out before Christmas I am going to get a friend to bring it home from NY for me (in my opinion i think this is a marketing ploy and they will definatly be out before Chrismtas, if they are not, google have been pretty stupid, but thats just my opinion).
    What I want to ask is there phone covers and accessories also available to buy on the site? I think someone said here there is an option for wireless charging, how much is this extra gadget for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 darrenkenny

mel123 wrote: »
    As i've got a work pc and work laptop for home, I dont want to start messing around with IP addresses. I will do it on my sisters laptop when I am in her house.
    If these are out before Christmas I am going to get a friend to bring it home from NY for me (in my opinion i think this is a marketing ploy and they will definatly be out before Chrismtas, if they are not, google have been pretty stupid, but thats just my opinion).
    What I want to ask is there phone covers and accessories also available to buy on the site? I think someone said here there is an option for wireless charging, how much is this extra gadget for example?

I don't believe there is an 'official' gadget out there yet, but it's using the Qi standard for wireless charging - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard) - and I saw a clock in The Gadget Store in Dundrum recently that had support for Qi - http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=147 - but it's not that cheap, but I'm sure there are other options out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Will be interesting to see the price in shops over here

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_4_carphone_warehouse_surprising_price-news-5111.php

thomasj wrote: »

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_4_carphone_warehouse_surprising_price-news-5111.php

No one has even said they are going to be selling it over here, I wouldn't be surprised if no networks end up having it

Might be worth keeping this bookmarked http://ludalex.soupwhale.com/n4checker/?country=uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

thomasj wrote: »

Ugh :(
    I don't know why they would even bother when the play store is so much cheaper and available in the UK.
    Unless google intends to only sell a very small amount themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

handtec.co.uk just cancelled my (pre)order and gave me a refund citing "we have no dates at all on when this product will be coming into stock."

Sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6474/nexus-4-includes-support-for-lte-on-band-4-aws

so it has some version of lte at least - 1700/2100 Mhz

but it won't make a difference for Ireland
    Frequency Band|Licence Period|Hutchison 3G Ireland Ltd.|Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd|Telefonica Ireland Ltd|Vodafone Ireland Ltd
    800 MHz|2013-2015|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    900 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    1800 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|-|2 × 15 MHz
    |2015-2030|2 × 20 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 25 MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 31 elarkin

So I'm sick of waiting for this phone, thinking of ordering off ebay.

Does anyone know if these are preorders for the N4 or are the devices actually shipped immediately? Sorry for asking but Google translate is not translating everything and I haven't a clue what the listing says!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NUOVO-LG-NEXUS-4-16-GB-GOOGLE-ORIGINALE-SBLOCCATO-/221157263947?pt=Smartphone&hash=item337e000a4b#ht_4303wt_1377

and

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LG-Nexus-4-16GB-GOOGLE-Android-Jelly-Bean-4-2-SIM-FREE-Nexus-10-/261132065095?pt=Smartphone&hash=item3cccaf1947#ht_1758wt_1377

Thanks!

edit: actually scrap that. Managed to translate it. Seems to be that both listings are preorders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

To anyone who has got one could you tell us what you think of it please.
    Cheers.

Does anyone else check to see if it's back in stock if they wake up during the night? I've started doing this, I checked it on my phone at about 4 this morning :-)

My thinking is, if I were in charge that's probably when I'd put it back after what happened last time, at least you wouldnt get the rush of thousands of people at the same time.

Yep. All the time. I see the 3G nexus 7 came back into stock during the night. Like you said I'd re-stock at random times.
    Nolimits wrote: »
    Does anyone else check to see if it's back in stock if they wake up during the night? I've started doing this, I checked it on my phone at about 4 this morning :-)

My thinking is, if I were in charge that's probably when I'd put it back after what happened last time, at least you wouldnt get the rush of thousands of people at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

At least I'm not the only one unreasonably obsessed with checking.

I generally have this tab open all the time, and check every hour or so. I know there's a good chance it won't be before december, or even during december, but I can't help myself.

Does anyone know if you can just enter a non-legit phone number for the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

anyone using a vpn? if so can you have a look at the US play store and see if they have any nexus 4 in stock. i have some some family on holiday there this week. does it give guaranteed delivery times? thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

emo72 wrote: »
    anyone using a vpn? if so can you have a look at the US play store and see if they have any nexus 4 in stock. i have some some family on holiday there this week. does it give guaranteed delivery times? thanks folks.

http://ludalex.soupwhale.com/n4checker/

Was talking to a guy there as well, he said they have none. He's waiting to buy some to bring back here and make a fortune with

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

emo72 wrote: »

I'm in the US till mid Dec, have a page monitor running on the site and still feel compelled to check almost on an hourly basis! Will post here as soon as they come back up, better be before I leave!!

• Advertisement

I consider myself very reasonably obsessed, it's not unreasonable to keep checking during the day and then whenever I wake up at night :P

I generally have this tab open all the time, and check every hour or so. I know there's a good chance it won't be before december, or even during december, but I can't help myself.

Order 2 and ill give you my legit phone number to use which I have when working over there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

When I I just ordered I just made one up with require digit number
    If theirs a problem they email you.

As to phone no issues works great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

A friend mentioned last night that the Nexus 4 had LTE, bunch of videos on YouTube about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

A friend mentioned last night that the Nexus 4 had LTE, bunch of videos on YouTube about it.

It has an lte chip as its part of the processor but it doesnt have the other stuff that it requires to work.

It has an lte chip as its part of the processor but it doesnt have the other stuff that it requires to work.

As mentioned by MiCr0 earlier, and also stated in the clip tyler linked, the Nexus 4 works on LTE at 1700/2100 MHz (Band 4) which is not the right frequency for Ireland. Below is the table MiCr0 posted regarding recent spectrum auction by Comreg:
    MiCr0 wrote: »
    Frequency Band|Licence Period|Hutchison 3G Ireland Ltd.|Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd|Telefonica Ireland Ltd|Vodafone Ireland Ltd
    800 MHz|2013-2015|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|-|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    900 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|
    |2015-2030|2 × 5 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz
    1800 MHz|2013-2015|2 × 10 MHz|2 × 10 MHz|-|2 × 15 MHz
    |2015-2030|2 × 20 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 15 MHz|2 × 25 MHz

So unfortunately the best you'll get here on the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ :(

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

It will be end of 2013 before we even get a sniff of 4G here , shouldn't really be an issue.

Any word on when it's going to be back in stock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is unreal, that this phone not available here.

And if those reports are true that it will be retailed at €420 here, they **** right off. I wanted this on release, but since we are a ****bag country who couldn't organise a birthday party, I'll just hang on till I travel abroad or a friend does, mental stuff.

Pages wrote: »
    It will be end of 2013 before we even get a sniff of 4G here , shouldn't really be an issue.

According to siliconrepublic.com O2 plan to commence rollout of 4G services before end of Q2 2013. Vodafone "...from next year, they (our customers) will experience the next generation of mobile technology, 4G". Eircom/Meteor rollout "in the next 12 months" and 3 were quite nondescript but given their focus on data I would be surprised if they were last to the LTE party.

With all that info I personally wouldn't buy the Nexus 4. I live in an urban area of Dublin City so I would hope to have LTE coverage at some point next year. If you aren't living in an urban area or don't feel the need for the highest data speeds then the Nexus 4 is an absolutely bargain and a great phone. I'm 90% sure I'll buy one for my dad if they come back in stock before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is unreal, that this phone not available here.

And if those reports are true that it will be retailed at €420 here, they **** right off. I wanted this on release, but since we are a ****bag country who couldn't organise a birthday party, I'll just hang on till I travel abroad or a friend does, mental stuff.

Don't blame the country, blame the company who refuses to sell it. We're cheap labour for them (or a tax haven), but aren't worth selling to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Don't blame the country, blame the company who refuses to sell it. We're cheap labour for them (or a tax haven), but aren't worth selling to.

Why would they sell a product at a loss to a market where they currently can't make that loss back from their marketplaces? I blame the country for it's ridiculousness red tape when it comes to digital media, look at the poor offerings of Netflix here as another example.

draffodx wrote: »
    Why would they sell a product at a loss to a market where they currently can't make that loss back from their marketplaces? I blame the country for it's ridiculousness red tape when it comes to digital media, look at the poor offerings of Netflix here as another example.

There is no way the Nexus4 is sold at a loss. It's cheap because it has (relatively) small storage, and didn't bother with most of the LTE hardware.

Netflix-IE is (almost) exactly the same as Netflix-UK, and they can sell the Nexus-4 there. Apple have a decent back-catalogue in iTunes; Eircom has it's own media store; Spotify seem to manage, etc. If it was that difficult, how would they all exist?

Google refuses to sell their product to Irish customers. The choice was available to them, but given they seem to be having supply issues to the few countries that they do sell the product to, I can understand why they ignore the "smaller" markets. However, until such time as they decide to acknowledge the Irish market, I'm not going to jump through a million hoops to buy their products, and will just stick with what I've got. My year old Galaxy-Nexus will be more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There is no way the Nexus4 is sold at a loss. It's cheap because it has (relatively) small storage, and didn't bother with most of the LTE hardware.

Netflix-IE is (almost) exactly the same as Netflix-UK, and they can sell the Nexus-4 there. Apple have a decent back-catalogue in iTunes; Eircom has it's own media store; Spotify seem to manage, etc. If it was that difficult, how would they all exist?

Google refuses to sell their product to Irish customers. The choice was available to them, but given they seem to be having supply issues to the few countries that they do sell the product to, I can understand why they ignore the "smaller" markets. However, until such time as they decide to acknowledge the Irish market, I'm not going to jump through a million hoops to buy their products, and will just stick with what I've got. My year old Galaxy-Nexus will be more than enough.

How long did it take Spotify/Netflix to get here? I never said it was impossible, just difficult and a market that would be way down my list of priorities if I was Google.

How long did it take Spotify/Netflix to get here? I never said it was impossible, just difficult and a market that would be way down my list of priorities if I was Google.

Netflix arrived here at exactly the same time as it arrived in the UK. Spotify was substantially delayed (it arrived here the same time as it arrived in Luxembourg).

I agree that here is way down in the priority list for Google, but the blame for not selling it here is exclusively in Google's doorstep, not the Irish government. The approach for getting a licence must be straightforward enough for all these other companies to be able to do it. They can just follow the same procedure as all the other providers have managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

You honestly think storage affects the building price of these devices? Flash storage is fairly cheap these days.
    The real price for this device is 599 euro without the Google discount. It's far from cheap, due to the rest of the tech in there.
    Google haven't bother to work out the digital rights because at the end of the day why should they bother with all of the hassle & red tape that comes with working out these rights for such a small number of potential customers.
    Spotify only started their service here a couple of weeks ago !

• Advertisement

Was just going to make this point, itunes store launched in 2003 we got it in Ireland in 2005, after the likes of the UK, Germany etc

Spotify got to the UK in 2009 but only got over here in 2012

Netflix began offering video on demand in 2007 though with them we at least got it the same time as the UK

Google music started in 2011, it reached UK in 2012, if it follows earlier trends we will get it next year some time at the earliest. And when Apple got it in here quickly their entire future business model depended on having itunes store available to as many people as possible and would have been a huge priority for them, much more so than Google. And devices only launched in America this year, though one would assume that devices will come with music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Your right to be angry and Google could easily avoid all this grief if they just explained why *insert your country* doesn't have a Play hardware store available? Its funny too because they have their European headquarters in Dublin and customers who are buying hardware from the UK play store are getting emails saying "Dispatched from Barrow Street, Dublin". I wouldn't be so sure that's true though because their office on Barrow St. isn't a distribution center. They probably have warehouses in the UK?

Was just going to make this point, itunes store launched in 2003 we got it in Ireland in 2005, after the likes of the UK, Germany etc

Spotify got to the UK in 2009 but only got over here in 2012

Netflix began offering video on demand in 2007 though with them we at least got it the same time as the UK

Google music started in 2011, it reached UK in 2012, if it follows earlier trends we will get it next year some time at the earliest. And when Apple got it in here quickly their entire future business model depended on having itunes store available to as many people as possible and would have been a huge priority for them, much more so than Google. And devices only launched in America this year, though one would assume that devices will come with music.

Oh - I fully agree. All I'm saying is that the reason for not selling it here has nothing to with the Irish government, it's entirely due to decisions made by Google. I don't blame Google for treating us as second class citizens; we really aren't worth the bother for them, but the only people who we can complain to are them.

We're a cheap labour market, and a good way of dodging tax; but in terms of being an actual market worth selling to - we're way down the list.

Apple are similar - their EU HQ is in Cork, but the only Apple stores on the island are north of the border.

Similarly, there's no Amazon.ie (well there is, but it just redirects you to Amazon.co.uk), even though they've a large presence in Blanchardstown.

Your right to be angry and Google could easily avoid all this grief if they just explained why *insert your country* doesn't have a Play hardware store available?

I'm not angry. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. We're always at the bottom of the list for companies like Google. It was the same when the Play-Store for apps came out. Paid apps took a very long time to be released here, as we weren't worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It has everything to do with the country,

Heres from a friend who is in this sort of business
    For something popular like this the vendor just won't prioritise anything other than the biggest markets. Its a problem compounded by the fact that it's probably cross subsidised by media sales from the Play store. And again,being a small country the payoff for setting up the licensing deals just isn't there. The solution is to push for pan-european licensing of all content. The rule should be available in on EU state, then available in all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement