Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old girl, new tricks, no drivers.

Options
  • 31-10-2012 4:39pm

(Computer:
    Toshiba Qosmio F20-136, all original spec apart from 320GB hard drive & 4GB RAM.)

Right, I've installed Windows 8 to my machine, and by & large I love the new interface. There's just one problem. The original graphics card (Nvidia GeForce Go 6600) , which was running fine under XP, has disappeared under a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver instead of the Nvidia one, the most recent (& apparently the last to cover my particular card) being version 306.97. When I try to install it, it acts as if the card isn't there and the installer shuts down. I've tried installing earlier versions of the driver but it's the same problem. Also tried both disabling & uninstalling "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried running the installer in XP SP3 Compatibility mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Hope I'm not too late with this.

I too was pretty stumped by this, having just put W8 on my oooold Qosmio F20 (still rocking just 1GB RAM). But after a day and a morning of frustration and heartbreak, I finally solved it - See attachments for the proof! :D

Anyway, the solution is to use the modified driver files provided by http://www.laptopvideo2go.com. Apparently nVidia drops support for many laptop-installed cards in the updated drivers.

laptopvideo2go.com provides supplemented *.inf files which allow installation on older laptops. I tried a couple of driver versions, but the one I got to install correctly was this one:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/259.47/disclaimer

Basically, download both the installer and the modded inf file, run the installer to create a folder with the installation files, and copy the modded inf file in there.

Then go through the 'Have Disk' method of updating the driver, as described here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/11997-have-disk-method-for-windows-7-vista/

Mine actually took two attempted installations and reboots, but it got there in the end.

I now have proper external screen control and some form of brightness adjustment back. Woo!

Hope this helps for anyone else who comes across this problem. I'll send the OP a PM in case they've given up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    (Computer:
    Toshiba Qosmio F20-136, all original spec apart from 320GB hard drive & 4GB RAM.)

Right, I've installed Windows 8 to my machine, and by & large I love the new interface. There's just one problem. The original graphics card (Nvidia GeForce Go 6600) , which was running fine under XP, has disappeared under a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver instead of the Nvidia one, the most recent (& apparently the last to cover my particular card) being version 306.97. When I try to install it, it acts as if the card isn't there and the installer shuts down. I've tried installing earlier versions of the driver but it's the same problem. Also tried both disabling & uninstalling "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" to no avail.

Any suggestions?

you need to windows 8 version not the xp version

if your os is 64bit then dl the win 8 64bit version
    if your os is 32bit then choose the win 8 32bit version

if your motherboard has a built in gchip but you also have a gcard installed in the pci-e slot boot to your bios and disable the onboard gpu

Advertisement