Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Electricians

• 31-10-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Why do magnetic ballasts in a florescent light fitting use more power when the tube or starter has stopped working??
    I have a florescent light that takes 2x58W 5ft tubes, the total power for a working light fitting is about 135 W which would be about right taking for account the magnetic ballast.
    But when i change the starters for starters that don't work it raises the power up to 204W.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The starter normally switches out the heating elements in the cathode after a second or two and the lamp strikes. I would guess that the heating elements are continuously on, but i could be wrong on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JOHN.DREW1983

So that would mean under normal working conditions the heating elements turn off after the bulb is lit? the tubes are glowing at each end is this the heating elements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea heating elements are only needed for the initial striking of the lamp.

If you look up the circuit diagram for an old fitting with a starter you should see what the starter does.

Advertisement