Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beehives , honey bees. Whos interested

Options
  • 31-10-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Anyone in county mayo who has beehives. Im thinking of setting afew hives up in spring and would like to know if theres anyone locally. Its around the castlebar to foxford area where ill be looking.

Ill be buying my own timber and making at least 2 topbar hives in spring and want to know where ill get my hands on irish bees. I was thinking of getting some imported from the uk but if any beekeepers can match the uk prices, ill gladly buy our native bee's.

I know last year was an awful year for bees as they didnt really produce much honey but i dont expect this to be the case this year or following years. Its more for the hobby anyway and if i get a healthy hive next year and some honey, ill be a happy man.

Even if theres anyone whos looking to set up a few hives but hasnt anywhere to put them, i have some land there if they'd like to put theyre hives there and they can give me a few jars of honey for rent;)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great program on RTE 2, Human Planet, about nature in cities.
    THINK it was NY, 10 million bees on the rooftops there in hives! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hiho1967

yop wrote: »
    Great program on RTE 2, Human Planet, about nature in cities.
    THINK it was NY, 10 million bees on the rooftops there in hives! :)

When is it on or have you any links to that program online

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hiho1967 wrote: »

It's a BBC show, some full episodes of it on youtube though I think. THis might be the one with the bees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8OWeED4CA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

hiho1967 wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10069834/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Best of luck with the bees Yop.

Had a hive in a holiday home Mulranny area many years ago - fuchsia country.

Interesting topic. Might get back to it.

Dont know of any beekeepers are present

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

nuac wrote: »
    Best of luck with the bees Yop.

Had a hive in a holiday home Mulranny area many years ago - fuchsia country.

Interesting topic. Might get back to it.

Dont know of any beekeepers are present

I'm a beekeeper, member if Westport club...its a great progressive club..drop in some time or check out their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 franko36

a newbe importing a queen into a topbar hive. There are so many things that could go wrong with that. It would sent any local beekeepers in your area into a panic. Wont bore you with the reasons why and there are so many.my advise contact your local association and do a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

OP, i'd be very interested to have a look when yer all set up if you didn't mind a few questions. it's something that's always interested me, we just don't have the right location for it where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mount Falcon used to keep bees a while back, unsure if they still do since the houses were built in the grounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

contact one of the local associations - you will be made most welcome

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoc.html lists all the associations in Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement