Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden vac

Options
  • 31-10-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good garden vac for collecting leaves and debris from around the garden?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yorky wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good garden vac for collecting leaves and debris from around the garden?

Lidl and Aldi were recently selling garden vac/leaf blowers for 45 euro.

I have a Worx leaf blower/vac,got it for 50 euro last year in B&Q.

very good bit of kit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it good to lift off fallen leaves off the lawn, or does it not matter? My front lawn has a full layer and not sure if I should rake them up or not.

Worx leaf blower/garden vac.

Mulches the leaves and grass and spits it into the collector bag below.

Has a 12 meter extension lead on it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it good to lift off fallen leaves off the lawn, or does it not matter? My front lawn has a full layer and not sure if I should rake them up or not.

You could collect them and make some great leaf mold out of them.

Fantastic for around the garden and the plants/soil and growing veg..:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could collect them and make some great leaf mold out of them.

Fantastic for around the garden and the plants/soil and growing veg..:)

I could but its cold out and it sounds like hard work;)

so any harm leaving them lying there to decay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I could but its cold out and it sounds like hard work;)

so any harm leaving them lying there to decay?
    They block light, so can cause bald spots. If you've an electric or petrol mower with a grass box, mow them up. It has the additional benefit of chopping the leaves up, so they decompost better.

Regarding garden vac's, I inherited a black and decker one, that works as a blower, and with a change of attachments a vac. It works ok, but I've found I have to blow them into piles first - it doesn't have the power to suck up wet leaves off a lawn (but will normally blow them). Not really sure I'd buy one, if it broke.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They block light, so can cause bald spots. If you've an electric or petrol mower with a grass box, mow them up. It has the additional benefit of chopping the leaves up, so they decompost better.

Regarding garden vac's, I inherited a black and decker one, that works as a blower, and with a change of attachments a vac. It works ok, but I've found I have to blow them into piles first - it doesn't have the power to suck up wet leaves off a lawn (but will normally blow them). Not really sure I'd buy one, if it broke.

I was watching gardeners world the other night and Monty Don did that trick with the lawnmower.

Raked the leaves out onto the path,made sure there were no stones around,and he went over the leaf pile with a lawnmower.

He then scooped it all up and placed it into his leaf mold pile.:)

I have to say that the Worx garden vac does suck up even big wet leaves.I was very impressed by the power of it.

It does also cut up/mulch the leaves,but you would be quick to fill the bag this time of year.The bag is 24 litre capacity as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You could get one last cut of the grass in now and run over the leaves - two jobs in one plus you'll get a nice mix to help make the leaf mold quicker if you want it. That's what I do, or even spread them out on the driveway and hoover them up with lawnmower as paddy says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

If you leave them on the grass they will damage your lawn, you need to get debris off it.

OK, I'll get the rake out. Dammit.

• Advertisement

OK, I'll get the rake out. Dammit.

Thursday is supposed to be a nice day for it.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

If your going to rake those leaves then it s best to use a plastic fan leaf rake as these will do the leas amount of harm to your lawn.

Also its useful to have a ton bag or large tarpaulin to gather and move all those leaves

good luck

Advertisement