Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near the lough

Options
  • 31-10-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,I was visiting relatives in limerick 2 weeks back and took a trip down to the cork to fish for the day.i parked on the lough road,I bought 2 parking discs and used which wouldn't have been enough to cover me for my time there.

What I'm asking is does the traffic wardens/clamped be up around the lough road as the shop I bought the discs in on the kinsale road said the clampers don't usually be up there?

I'm asking as I am going down again tomorrow and will be fishing and camping there until Sunday morning with a group of friends,so I am just askig what you's think as to the wardens/clampers?do they be up the lough road area?or is there anywhere near by that is definetly free to park in?

Thanks in advance kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

You definitely won't be clamped if you are in a bone fide public space, whether you have no disk or an expired disk up. There is no public clamping in Cork now, only ticket or tow. Double yellow line or blocking somewhere = tow; in a public space with no/expired disk = ticket.
    Regarding wardens, they are very rarely around (they prefer catching the students around college) but parking for 3 full days without a disk is taking a major chance. Probably, to be safe, you would want to park further out than The Lough but if you will need the car during the day, that will be a pain.
    TL/DR: You will probably be OK but could be unlucky. Pick a secluded spot in one of the estates and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think you're not allowed to "stack up" more than one parking disc, i.e. you can't display two disks with the second one running on from the first one. Technically I think you're supposed to move your car from the street after the first disk expires, but I doubt if anyone would ever notice if you just went back to the car and changed the disc without moving it.

There are no clampers, so you won't get clamped but you could get a fine. I've seen wardens around the UCC/Glasheen Road side of the Lough so I'd keep away from there. There is also the problem of unfriendly Lough natives who resent students/commuters parking in "their" spaces (do a thread search on boards). I'd say if you park out on the Togher side of the Lough your chances of getting ticketed would be low.

You can also use the same park by text service they have in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Let me get this right....... You intend camping by the Lough ??

Getting clamped is not the problem you should be focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Djkieran10

Thanks for the replies.it will be the lough road side of the lough so it will be the togher side.
    With regards to camping there will be 6-8 of us,from talking to the local anglers they say it is best to do it in numbers for safety reasons so this is why we are doing it this way. I know we will be bombarded by the drunks and teenagers out and going home from there nights out up until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning.but the lads said they usually sit up have a chat amongst themselves and then when the night time people die down go get some sleep.i have heard bad stories of people down there but mostly over by the hawthorn pub and playground side,that is why I am going to the road/bus stop side.....is it really that bad at night?and what should I be worried about?

Also with regards to the parking I'm gonna buy 5-6 discs and just put one on every now and again and at lest you can keep an eye on the car as it is literally rite behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I think the place gets a worse reputation than it deserves, I see people camping there often enough.

best of luck with the trip. sounds fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Just drop off your gear then park over near Supervalu. That whole stretch of road from the Butchers down towards Togher is disk-free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Parking at the Lough on Hartlands Ave is not a disc area, it only has a 2 hr limit, I've never heard of it being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

aujopimur wrote: »
    Parking at the Lough on Hartlands Ave is not a disc area, it only has a 2 hr limit, I've never heard of it being enforced.

Do you mean the little area across from the Hawthorn Bar?

I'd feel a bit paranoid parking there in case it's considered private property and the apoca knobends show up clamping

Does anyone know if the car park in 'The Church of the Immaculate Conception' on Lough Road is empty for most of the day?

I'd a look on google maps, and apart from the apoca signs everywhere, it looks pretty empty,
    If it is underused, it's a pity they don't introduce a pay and display service to make full use of the space,
    especially given the fact it's within walking distance of both the Lough and UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The carpark belongs to the pub, I've seen a few cars clamped over the last few years.
    As far as I remember the on street parking is free, (I'll check tomorrow) the only restriction is 2 hrs on the Lough side of the road between the butcher and the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Do you mean the little area across from the Hawthorn Bar?
    apoca knobends

I think that car park is for the Hawthorn alright. It is managed by Apoca as far as I am aware. So you might get clamped in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've never seen any traffic wardens around The Lough area, which is a pity because there's a garage not too far away from the place where customers always seem to park on the whole of the footpath outside, forcing pedestrians and people with buggies to walk on the road onto oncoming traffic. Traffic wardens are probably too "busy" strolling around town shooting fish in a barrel to venture anywhere near the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I've heard there's only 5 of them, and apart from the usual spots like the South Mall,
    they'll blitz an area in one go to make it worth their while.

Although, it was pub talk so I've no guarantee to how accurate that info was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I lived on Hartlands Road by the side of the Lough up until last year, and i got clamped twice, while parked outside my own house! (I used to normally park in the drive but had visitors on both occasions.

I wouldn't chance it man. Even if they don't clamp anymore, they'll still fine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Just to provide final clarity to this thread I thought I would draw a picture.. The OP's trip is probably well done at this point but a useful reference nonetheless.

Lough_Parking.jpg
    grenache wrote: »
    I lived on Hartlands Road by the side of the Lough up until last year, and i got clamped twice, while parked outside my own house! (I used to normally park in the drive but had visitors on both occasions.

I wouldn't chance it man. Even if they don't clamp anymore, they'll still fine you.

Hartlands Ave is indeed normal disk parking!

Advertisement