Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa advice

Options
  • 31-10-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to move to the US for a few months to work with a family friend who has a business over there.

However I can't seem to find any straight forward advice on what visa I need. I don't have a credit card so can't use the number on the US embassy website.

So what I would like to know is what visa do I require, and how do i apply?

I am not a student and don't have a degree, although the family friend will sponsor me.

Thanks
    Louis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There is no visa for what you intend to do. If your family friend has a business, depending on what sort of work he wants you to do he can petition for a work visa for you (employer needs to do this); this will cost him upwards of $5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your friend also has to verify that no American citizen can do the work that he is hiring you to do, hence his needing to employ a foreigner and get a work permit for you. Your being a friend of the family won't be enough to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Your friend also has to verify that no American citizen can do the work that he is hiring you to do, hence his needing to employ a foreigner and get a work permit for you. Your being a friend of the family won't be enough to get one.

This is only true if you are going through with certain visas sponsoring for a green card. H1b visa for instance do not. OP people on this forum can give advice but are not legal experts, there is an outside chance a H2b or B visa could be applicable but it may be work contacting a legal professional to see if it is at all feasible. Most will say yes or no up front without any cost.

Advertisement