Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on the History of Ireland and Irish Literature

Options
  • 31-10-2012 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if you can help me out here. I bought a vintage book recently, from a second hand book store. It is dated 1940 and has an interesting opening chapter detailing the history of English literature, going back to the Angles and Saxons, and before. It makes for light reading and doesn't get too bogged down in the details.

I'm looking for something similar about Ireland and Irish literature. Can you recommend a book about Irish history, going back beyond the birth of Christ era, and also a book about the evolution of Irish literature?

Thanks in advance! I've looked and found a few on amazon but they all seem to have conflicting reviews and not many people have reviewed them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublin Duchess

Maybe if you post the names of the ones you were looking at on Amazon we can give you some feedback if we know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sure. :) There was four that I was looking at.

1. In Search of Ancient Ireland by Carmel McCaffery - http://www.amazon.com/In-Search-Ancient-Ireland-Neolithic/dp/156663525X
    2. The Story of Ireland by Neil Hegarty - http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-Ireland-History-People/dp/1250002893
    3. Ireland: A Short Story by Joseph Coohill - http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-Short-History-Oneworld-Histories/dp/1851686002
    4. How the Irish saved civilization - http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Saved-Civilization-Hinges-History

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Please don't read this book. Its the sort of 'history' book that leaves you less well informed than if you knew nothing at all.

The best book on Irish literature is by Declan Kiberd, 'Inventing Ireland: The Literature of the Modern Nation'. This book is a bible, extremely well written, accesible. Its jargony in places but that is the nature of literary criticism. It also gives a passive kind of history of modern Ireland as well.

If you're looking for a good narrative history of modern Ireland, read 'Ireland Since the Famine' by F.S.L. Lyons. Also Diarmuid Ferriters 'Ireland Transformed 1900-2000'. They are the two best general histories of Ireland written in their respective generations. They also are written ever so well, which can be rare amongst Irish historians (For example, avoid Paul Bew's book at all costs - its dreadfully dull). If you're seeking to go further back, Roy Fosters book (Modern Ireland) is also excellent but a little controversial (Some see him as an 'anti Republican', whatever that means) Best of luck.

Denerick wrote: »
    Please don't read this book. Its the sort of 'history' book that leaves you less well informed than if you knew nothing at all.

The best book on Irish literature is by Declan Kiberd, 'Inventing Ireland: The Literature of the Modern Nation'. This book is a bible, extremely well written, accesible. Its jargony in places but that is the nature of literary criticism. It also gives a passive kind of history of modern Ireland as well.

If you're looking for a good narrative history of modern Ireland, read 'Ireland Since the Famine' by F.S.L. Lyons. Also Diarmuid Ferriters 'Ireland Transformed 1900-2000'. They are the two best general histories of Ireland written in their respective generations. They also are written ever so well, which can be rare amongst Irish historians (For example, avoid Paul Bew's book at all costs - its dreadfully dull). If you're seeking to go further back, Roy Fosters book (Modern Ireland) is also excellent but a little controversial (Some see him as an 'anti Republican', whatever that means) Best of luck.

Thanks a million!

Just re-read your post there. I thought when you mentioned Irish literature that you were more interested in relatively recent history (18th century and above) I don't really know what to recommend concerning earlier Irish history.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    Just re-read your post there. I thought when you mentioned Irish literature that you were more interested in relatively recent history (18th century and above) I don't really know what to recommend concerning earlier Irish history.

Well I'm after both. :)

I just bought this as well: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Mans-Wound-Ernie-OMalley/dp/1589790049

Have you read it?

Yep, read his other memoir of the Civil War as well (The Singing Flame) Definitely the best memoir to emerge from those turbulent years. He was a literary soul, was O'Malley.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

The Neil Hegarty book, which was written to accompany a TV series, is quite good and would be a lighter read than Kiberd and Ferriter; might be closer to what OP was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Huge +1 for Declan Kiberds"Inventing Ireland".
    The Neil Hegarty book "Story of Ireland" is a good review of Irish history, not too heavy and covering everything, the TV series to accompany it was decent enough also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The Kiberd book is a very worthwhile recommendation. There are plenty of good books on modern Irish literature and culture. Terence Brown's Ireland: A Social and Cultural History is good for contextualising things. If you're interested in drama, Chris Morash's A History of Irish Theatre goes back to the beginning of the 17th century.

• Advertisement
Advertisement