Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Game Run By Idiots - Blatter

• 31-10-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭

Loving this extract from Sebastian Coe's auto-biography - what's interesting is that he shows no signs of disagreeing with Blatter

Seb coe's thoughts on all that is wrong with the administration of the english game

Coe reveals Blatter thought English game "run by idiots"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/10508078
    LONDON, Oct 31 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter thought English soccer "was run by idiots" which was a reason England failed to win the right to stage the 2018 World Cup finals, according to a new book by Sebastian Coe.
    Twice Olympic 1,500 metres champion Coe became involved in England's bid after leading London's successful bid in 2005 to hosts this year's Olympic Games.
    He was later appointed by Blatter to chair FIFA's Ethics Committee but stepped down from that role to work unpaid to help bring the World Cup back to England for the first time since 1966.
    But, he says, almost from the start of his involvement he felt the bid was doomed to fail.
    "It's got the smell of death about it," he told fellow executive Keith Mills, the chief executive of the London Olympic bid, after the two attended their first England 2018 meeting together.
    "I had been truly shocked by the vituperative nature of the meeting I had just witnessed. There was thinly disguised contempt around the table."
    After the bid failed, with only two FIFA votes, one of which was from England's own delegate Geoff Thompson, Coe said much of the blame was laid at the door of the British media who had heavily criticised FIFA in the run-up to the vote in Zurich on Dec.2 2010.
    "I am less willing to lay the blame at the media's door," Coe says. "Ultimately the fault, I believe lies with the awful dysfunctionality of the English game, its personalities and politics.
    "First you have the FA, which is the regulatory body. Then you have the Premier League... then you have the big clubs and the moguls including (Roman) Abramovich at Chelsea and the Glazers at Manchester United, not forgetting the big beast managers such as Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.
    STRAINED RELATIONSHIPS
    "This has always been a very uncomfortable set of relationships, at best strained. The fact they didn't trust each other and didn't much like each other was a problem.
    "The FA distrusted the Premiership, the Premiership distrusted the FA and Brian Mawhinney, as chairman of the Football League, wasn't comfortable with any of them."
    Against this background, says Coe, his "instincts" were that Blatter always wanted to take the World Cup to Russia, which is what transpired, However, he said, people who believed Blatter wanted that outcome because he hated England were wrong.
    "He doesn't. He's Swiss and like a lot of Swiss, he's rather fond of England. He likes the political stability, he likes the pomp and tradition.
    "What he always has a problem with is the English game. And from his perspective, its not hard to understand.
    "As president of the international federation he sees the unwillingness of English clubs to release players for international duty. He sees the purchasing power of the English game - big name clubs buying up players from all over the world.
    "And he sees a national federation, that, at the time of the bid, had no chairman and no chief executive.
    "Blatter once said to me 'Your game is run by idiots, its not run by bright people'...I was obviously disappointed, very disappointed."
    Coe's book "Running My Life - The Autobiography" is being serialised in The Times before it is published next month.
    (Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by John Mehaffey)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Takes one to know one, there's another one who sits in Abbotstown. At least that one will buy you a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Takes one to know one

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Fifa - run by an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDClU2VGe77_leva-BfpGHBQdZUmykk4w6N_Pa0EOIRWCEuEjb-w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDClU2VGe77_leva-BfpGHBQdZUmykk4w6N_Pa0EOIRWCEuEjb-w

Careful now you might be deemed a football racist with that picture and it could lead to ban of some lenght that would be deemed to long or to short by the kettle or the pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Imagine what he thinks of the FAI :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »

404%2BFILE%2BNOT%2BFOUND.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Careful now you might be deemed a football racist with that picture and it could lead to ban of some lenght that would be deemed to long or to short by the kettle or the pot
    I don't understand, are you against punishments for racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

CSF wrote: »
    I don't understand, are you against punishments for racism?

Well the kettle looks brown to me not black, so maybe the pot is a racist but or maybe the pot is colour blind. So i'm not sure what punishment the pot should get. But if the pot is demeed to be racist and gets a ban I'll support it. But it should be the same lenght of ban a knife or fork or spoon should get because they al belong in a kitchen. The pot shouldn't get any longer or shorter of a ban because it's a pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

he's right, the english game is run by idiots. he has no credibility himself though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dempsey wrote: »
    he's right, the english game is run by idiots. he has no credibility himself though

his credibility has increased with this pronouncement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

greendom wrote: »

his credibility has increased with this pronouncement

i suppose the only way is up at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

GavRedKing wrote: »

The_Smashing_Pumpkins_ThirtyThree_Part_2.jpg

Advertisement