Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Keyboard shortcuts save your life?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

When working with graphics it can be a extremely fast paced job personally i've found that mapping your own keyboard shortcuts will cut down on at least 30% of time spent editing for the simple fact that once you know you way around they keyboard it saves you having to go into menus and go searching for stuff.

This is my personal experience been working with keyboard shortcuts for about a week now and its just so much simpler what about anyone else?

mapped your own keyboards?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I personally don't set my own key mappings, I find the defaults in the apps I use to be intuitive enough.

You could always get one of these:
    http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

5uspect wrote: »
    I personally don't set my own key mappings, I find the defaults in the apps I use to be intuitive enough.

You could always get one of these:
    http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/
    :D

Can you buy those?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It was vapourware for a long time the Maximus model appears to be shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Keyboard shortcuts in general are much more productive, not just for graphics. If you've ever used vim for text editing you'll know this. Then there's stuff like Photoshop not having one for crop iirc. At least last time I checked there wasn't one. I'm using Deke keys' mapping as a result of PS tutorials by Deke McClennan on Lynda and it's much much quicker and intuitive.

Funnily enough, if you were a newbie doing the ECDL you'd fail if you used shortcuts which says how loltastic the ECDL is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

tricky D wrote: »
    Keyboard shortcuts in general are much more productive, not just for graphics. If you've ever used vim for text editing you'll know this. Then there's stuff like Photoshop not having one for crop iirc. At least last time I checked there wasn't one. I'm using Deke keys' mapping as a result of PS tutorials by Deke McClennan on Lynda and it's much much quicker and intuitive.

Funnily enough, if you were a newbie doing the ECDL you'd fail if you used shortcuts which says how loltastic the ECDL is.

Personally I approach a problem with a pencil and paper first it is the ultimate shortcut. From there I take it into a digital format with the tools at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am a daily GPS II/GIMP & mypaint hobby user,and never used to use short cuts until recently,it makes a huge difference as have got very poor mouse and mouse pad control.

mypaint especialy is difficult without short cuts because some brushes are in a automatic/constant paint mode whilst are faffing with the menu to change brushes.
    used to have the same issue with alchemy which many of its brushes are automatic,then again havent used that awesome sketch program in ages [woud recommend it,the GIMP GPS II mod and mypaint to everyone].

tricky d,
    have heard a lot of negative points about the ECDL over the years and it isnt worth the paper its on.
    in own view newbie users who want a better computer qualification woud be better off self teaching with a book and then doing a comptia a+.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

absolutely! i saves much more time, and less hassle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Captain Beyond

I like to work with keyboard shortcuts that save my time and work faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 the_pictorium

Keyboard shortcuts all the way. However once learned they can never be unlearned.....I still flaff about with shift-f6 for feather selection with PS even though its the most awkward finger-stretch ever. Have gone to the trouble to remap it but it's like some weird addiction that I keep coming back to :)

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Simple answer, YES! I use them all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement