Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordered a new Tiger 800 today...

• 31-10-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

...plus a good lot of accessories.

Just felt like telling someone ;) ... spending money I don't have!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

rat_race wrote: »
    ...plus a good lot of accessories.

Just felt like telling someone ;) ... spending money I don't have!

Nice, enjoy. Why did you choose that model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

650Ginge wrote: »
    Nice, enjoy. Why did you choose that model?

Great reviews everywhere, and wanted an all rounder capable of 2-up and touring/luggage/comfort. Test drove it and loved it. I'm on a 250CC so a nice step up but not too much. No real plans to do any sort of off-roading (so no point going for the XC)...

Great reviews everywhere, and wanted an all rounder capable of 2-up and touring/luggage/comfort. Test drove it and loved it. I'm on a 250CC so a nice step up but not too much. No real plans to do any sort of off-roading (so no point going for the XC)...

I love the look of them and I don't feel the need for a really big bike anymore. I had a sprint st 1050 for a year and I really loved it, well everything except the ABS it was pants. But my wife just couldn't get comfortable on the back of it.

When do you think you will get it? 2013 I assume at this stage.

I love the look of them and I don't feel the need for a really big bike anymore. I had a sprint st 1050 for a year and I really loved it, well everything except the ABS it was pants. But my wife just couldn't get comfortable on the back of it.

When do you think you will get it? 2013 I assume at this stage.

The Sprints are nice! Have you seen the new Trophy models? Look nice...too big of an engine for me though.

Nah, I could get it sooner but I said early Jan just to get the 2013 reg...I know it's petty, but it'll matter when re-selling...plus I'm in no rush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Fair play, enjoy. Good looking tourer.

• Advertisement

The Sprints are nice! Have you seen the new Trophy models? Look nice...too big of an engine for me though.

Nah, I could get it sooner but I said early Jan just to get the 2013 reg...I know it's petty, but it'll matter when re-selling...plus I'm in no rush!

Not petty at all, did you deal with Pete in Dublin Triumph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Just curious, but did the dealer (I assume Dublin Triumph), as well as charging you full whack for all the extras, also add in "labour" charges, for fitting them, as well?

As motorcycle sales have fallen through the floor this year (http://www.magireland.org/2012/news-media/cartell-ie-reports-collapse-in-motorcycle-sales/), I am interested to hear, if he did add that charge, what his justification for it is?

When you buy a new car, the dealer usually will give you a discount on any extras, i.e. mats, parking sensors, and such. But they don't expect you to pay to have them fitted! They are delighted to get the sale.

I have personal experience of this practice recently when trying to buy a new bike,,,

QDM

Not petty at all, did you deal with Pete in Dublin Triumph?

Yup, Pete. Have spoken to him a few times in the past few months...a salesman, but also a nice/fair guy ;) ...
    Just curious, but did the dealer (I assume Dublin Triumph), as well as charging you full whack for all the extras, also add in "labour" charges, for fitting them, as well?

As motorcycle sales have fallen through the floor this year (http://www.magireland.org/2012/news-media/cartell-ie-reports-collapse-in-motorcycle-sales/), I am interested to hear, if he did add that charge, what his justification for it is?

When you buy a new car, the dealer usually will give you a discount on any extras, i.e. mats, parking sensors, and such. But they don't expect you to pay to have them fitted! They are delighted to get the sale.

I have personal experience of this practice recently when trying to buy a new bike,,,

QDM

Yes, they charge labour to install the extras, but they don't hide that fact until the last minute -- they're straight up. Or you can install them yourself. At the end of the day though, you have an overall figure and are free to haggle.

I got a sizeable enough discount on the overall list price. Could probably have gotton more if I'd persisted, but overall it was an acceptable price...I think. Even though it is a lot of money when I think about it...I could get a fairly savage second hand car for the same!

Screw it...there's a lot of worse ways to spend your money. A bike is one of the best, IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Rat Race,

Ok, you answered my question thanks. You got a discount, well that's something.
    Best of luck on the new Tiger, they look savage!:D

QDM

Rat Race,

Ok, you answered my question thanks. You got a discount, well that's something.
    Best of luck on the new Tiger, they look savage!:D

QDM

Yup, it struck me as odd at first too...why would anyone put you off buying extras, or a bike, by charging you to fit extras?

I think it's a pretty common thing though...and you can do most of them yourself without much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Well wear!

Wish I was tall enough to feel comfortable on a Trumpy.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Well wear!

Wish I was tall enough to feel comfortable on a Trumpy.

Thanks. How tall are you? I'm fairly short myself...5 foot 7 or 8 or something...

The 800 with lower setting (standard seat has 2 configurations) is just about OK!

Then there's the extra low seat for about 150e or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Thanks. How tall are you? I'm fairly short myself...5 foot 7 or 8 or something...

The 800 with lower setting (standard seat has 2 configurations) is just about OK!

Then there's the extra low seat for about 150e or so...

I'm about the same height, but "just about" doesn't make me comfortable, I want to be able to get both feet down squarely without worrying about the car either side of me. They have got better re seat height, but the first Hinckley bikes were ridiculous and they're not quite there for ME yet.

I wish you many miles of happy roads. Somehow the old irish blessing about the road rising to meet you never seems right on a bike:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Did you take her with for the test spin?

P.C. wrote: »
    Did you take her with for the test spin?

Of course...not today though, about 2 months ago...

Edit: I misunderstood you...you meant HER her...no, there is no her at the moment :/ Why? Not think the 800 is up to the task? Maybe not...It's a low priority for me TBH but I'd hope it's fairly comfortable for a passenger.

Of course...not today though, about 2 months ago...

Edit: I misunderstood you...you meant HER her...no, there is no her at the moment :/ Why? Not think the 800 is up to the task? Maybe not...It's a low priority for me TBH but I'd hope it's fairly comfortable for a passenger.

You mentioned that you wanted something for 2 up touring.
    Just wondering if she (who I now know does not exist) had been on the bike.

Sometimes we think a bike will be comfortable for a pillion, but it is not.
    I took the girlfriend with when I went to test ride my 'crotch rocket' and she found it very comfortable.

The Tiger is a good bike. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Someone buying a new bike is almost unheard of! Although was talking to someone from joe duffy who reckon their sales were still pretty good.

What extras did you go for?

You mentioned that you wanted something for 2 up touring.
    Just wondering if she (who I now know does not exist) had been on the bike.

Sometimes we think a bike will be comfortable for a pillion, but it is not.
    I took the girlfriend with when I went to test ride my 'crotch rocket' and she found it very comfortable.

The Tiger is a good bike. Enjoy!

I can't comment...all I've done is read good reports about 2-up touring on them...but haven't tried it.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Someone buying a new bike is almost unheard of! Although was talking to someone from joe duffy who reckon their sales were still pretty good.

What extras did you go for?

Just doing my bit for the economy :) ... Ah no, I realise I'm paying a lot extra for a new bike...and its value will drop right away, but it's hard to find these second hand, and I've had issues with just about every vehicle I've ever bought used...

According the the MAG Ireland link, less than 500 new bikes have been registered this year. A few years ago it was thousands...

Extras:
    Adventure Panniers
    Topbox (& expensive annoying Sliding Carriage)
    Foglights (not cheap, but the lights on my current bike are crap)
    Engine Bars
    Heated Grips
    Centre Stand (not cheap)
    Touring Screen (cheap compared to BMW's)
    Handguards (not too expensive, but apparently a bit small)
    The beak (expensive for what it is)
    Swing Arm Pivot Cover (cheap enough)
    Tank Pad (cheap enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Who gives a rats ass (pun intended) if its comfortable for the other half....once its comfortable for the rider!!!

PMSL....

Only slagging mate, cracker of a bike cant wait for the pics you be sticking up all over the place when you get it. :mad::mad:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Who gives a rats ass (pun intended) if its comfortable for the other half....once its comfortable for the rider!!!

PMSL....

Only slagging mate, cracker of a bike cant wait for the pics you be sticking up all over the place when you get it. :mad::mad:

Haha...:D Looks like I'll have to get a gf to test it out on...grrr, I knew this day would come... :eek:

• Advertisement

Pretty much all the extras I went for when I got my GS. I wouldn't bother with the beak if it was an extra, what made you go for that?
    Luggage, heated grips, hand guards and fogs are all dead handy.

Savage bike, good luck with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Extras:
    Adventure Panniers
    Topbox (& expensive annoying Sliding Carriage)
    Foglights (not cheap, but the lights on my current bike are crap)
    Engine Bars
    Heated Grips
    Centre Stand (not cheap)
    Touring Screen (cheap compared to BMW's)
    Handguards (not too expensive, but apparently a bit small)
    The beak (expensive for what it is)
    Swing Arm Pivot Cover (cheap enough)
    Tank Pad (cheap enough)

Must have cost a few bob, good luck with the XC, had one for a year and traded it in for the 1200 Explorer, no problem getting 50mpg, great bike on and off the road

374935_2502936727462_1951441077_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

bogman wrote: »
    Must have cost a few bob, good luck with the XC, had one for a year and traded it in for the 1200 Explorer, no problem getting 50mpg, great bike on and off the road

You should have traded it for a jetski!

'c

I wouldn't bother with the beak if it was an extra, what made you go for that?

Savage bike, good luck with her.

Thanks! I went for the beak because I just find it looks a bit weird without it...especially with a bigger screen? Kinda plan on keeping it for years so thought I'd splash out and get something I'm 100% happy with :/ ... I might regret that when I go xmas shopping... ;)
    bogman wrote: »

A lot of people seem to have bought an 800 and traded in for the 1200 fairly quickly (from what I've read on forums/seen on youtube)...how come? Obviously it's bigger and generally better, but so soon? Just curious.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

PMSL....

I do. Not sure how I would be able to justify buying a bike that does not have a comfortable pillion seat for her.

I get that a lot of others don't care, but I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I do. Not sure how I would be able to justify buying a bike that does not have a comfortable pillion seat for her.

As I said only TAKING THE PISS....:rolleyes:

Of course you get/buy/trade/rob/build a bike for what YOU want it for.

Thanks! I went for the beak because I just find it looks a bit weird without it...especially with a bigger screen? Kinda plan on keeping it for years so thought I'd splash out and get something I'm 100% happy with :/ ... I might regret that when I go xmas shopping... ;)
    Bigger screen is well worth it if you're going on long runs.
    Are you going for a gps for it?
    Seen as you're in a money spending mood, check out some extras:
    http://shop.touratech.com/vehicle-equipment.html?tt_bikemanufacturer=817_807&tt_biketype=892_821
    OK, a bit early for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Good for you.
    Pillions put up with enough without being unstable or uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sex & Sexuality Forum is that way >>>>>> ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Bigger screen is well worth it if you're going on long runs.
    Are you going for a gps for it?
    Seen as you're in a money spending mood, check out some extras:
    http://shop.touratech.com/vehicle-equipment.html?tt_bikemanufacturer=817_807&tt_biketype=892_821
    OK, a bit early for that!

You say a bigger screen is well worth it. I'm confused as to why bikes don't come with bigger screens by default, or at least make it optional (as in, you get to choose which you want). For any sort of non-sport bike, what is the disadvantage of a taller screen vs. a smaller? Why small by default? Why wouldn't anyone want a taller screen?

Is it not a simple case of: smaller screen means chances are there's gonna be a blast of wind somewhere on the rider...let's hope it's not right in his face/head causing loud wind noise.

Taller screen means much less chance of the previous happening, right? It could go over riders head?

Or is it more complicated than that? Maybe a small screens job might be to direct wind onto riders chest? But maybe shorter riders get it right in the face? I've heard of several people with no screens that get no buffeting. Even one guy removed his screen in a Tiger 800 to stop the buffetting. I don't see how that'd help...but seemed to.

Regarding GPS: eventually. Not yet. I'm into push bikes too...and I already have the world of stuff for those (panniers, GPS, blah blah blah)...so I kinda need to calm down on all the toys... One day tho...

Advertisement