Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordered a new Tiger 800 today...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

rat_race wrote: »
    Or is it more complicated than that? Maybe a small screens job might be to direct wind onto riders chest? But maybe shorter riders get it right in the face? I've heard of several people with no screens that get no buffeting. Even one guy removed his screen in a Tiger 800 to stop the buffetting. I don't see how that'd help...but seemed to.
    Had to do the same once with a Honda rebel. It was my mother's bike and she had a big screen on it, I started using it and found that the screen directed the wind straight onto my head. Shes quite short so was sitting nicely in behind the screen had the full protection of the screen.

So I'd guess he was just too tall for his screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Had to do the same once with a Honda rebel. It was my mother's bike and she had a big screen on it, I started using it and found that the screen directed the wind straight onto my head. Shes quite short so was sitting nicely in behind the screen had the full protection of the screen.

So I'd guess he was just too tall for his screen.

Hmmm...yeah. Dunno now really what the point of a tall screen is...

I thought a screen is to block extra rain/dirt from hitting you in the chest..., but a side effect of that is that it creates wind buffeting, which should either go over or under your head, ideally. But a taller screen might just be making it WORSE...bah. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've always preferred bikes with very short screens, just enough to keep the wind blast off the chest (reducing fatigue on shoulders compared to a naked bike) but leave the lid in clean air, no noise no turbulence.
    Tall screens can work well but are very specific to the bike and the height/riding position of the rider, when they aren't right they can result in horrible turbulence and noise.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

ninja900 wrote: »
    I've always preferred bikes with very short screens, just enough to keep the wind blast off the chest but leave the lid in clean air, no noise no turbulence.
    Tall screens can work well but are very specific to the bike and the height/riding position of the rider, when they aren't right they can result in horrible turbulence and noise.

Yeah...I'm only sort of realising tonight that taller does not mean better...and that many screens are designed not to go over your head, but to send the wind lower...or possibly around you. Am I right? Hmm.

Advertisement