Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

online learning

• 31-10-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

i went to a photography course but i found i went into way too much detail
    is there any thing that is easy to understand online :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

i went to a photography course but i found i went into way too much detail
    is there any thing that is easy to understand online :D

What would you like to learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

F number is confusing me

the teacher went into too much detail and i couldnt understand what is is

something to do with deep of field :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

F number is confusing me

the teacher went into too much detail and i couldnt understand what is is

something to do with deep of field :confused:

Depth of field aka dof.
    Take a look here:
    1 and / or 2

F-stop
    Take a look here: 1 and / or 2

It's also worth reading this.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

THANKS!! i will read that later =]

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ap178

I am very much a newbie and I found the following four articles really simple and easy to understand.

Aperture
    Shutter Speed
    ISO
    Equivalent exposures

HTH

• Advertisement

ah this is good thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Hi James VTI S

Like you i'm trying to self teach my way into photography. I had considered doing a course but i've found in the past that the best way for me to learn new things and for these new things to stay in my brain is for me to find them out myself or to discover them by accident. Personally i find courses to be a bit of a "flash in the pan" way of learning... all this info is loaded on me over the course of a few weeks and i tend to lose interest quickly coz i can't get to grips with it or i feel i should be an expert at the end!!! So i've taken it upon myself to do a little bit at a time and every time i get frustrated at not being able to take a pic similar to that of someone more experienced, i just remind myself that rome wasn't built in a day, i cannot become an expert overnight!

Boards.ie has been a huge help to me, invaluable actually, i log on every day, read what others are posting about, constantly looking at others photographs for inspiration, i've signed up to flickr, instagram, photography pages on facebook etc all so that i can look at the photos, try to take something from each photo to learn from, ask questions re settings or location or whatever you need to know. I've found that the photographer is only too happy to "talk shop", plus all the boardsie photography regulars are a very friendly and helpful bunch!

If you check out the learning curve assignments in the photo challenge section here, you will see that some of us beginners are setting each other simple tasks to help us get to grips with our cameras... they might seem very simplistic but i can tell you they aren't as easy as they seem and it does help you get to grips with your camera settings a bit. You should try them out!

Also i was advised to buy this, Understanding Exposure book http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390 i've found it to be a good book so far. I haven't read it cover to cover, again didn't want to over load my brain with too much info so ive read it chapter by chapter and then try to put into practice what that chapter has just explained. So whether it takes me a few days or a few weeks to get to grips with my new found knowledge, it doesn't matter, there is no time limit **cue mantra** rome wasn't built in a day :D

My advice from one beginner to another here is to read and re-read the info above, you will find something that you can relate to and work with and just get out there and start taking pictures!!! You will have a "light switch" moment when it makes sense. I find the best way to learn is trial and error. Over the last month to six weeks i've switched from auto mode on my camera to manual (which i'm really chuffed with myself coz i never thought i'd get the hang of it!!!) and now i'm rarely out of manual mode, and i'm pleased with how my pics are turning out, ok they are not ready for the National Geographic yet but i'm getting there!

Best of luck with it all and hope to see you around boards!!!

IMG_0001CR2.jpg

this is one of my best .. so far :D full manual + manual focus

and sebphoto you will see me around thanks

i must now read the rest of you guys posts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IMG_0001CR2.jpg

this is one of my best .. so far :D full manual + manual focus

and sebphoto you will see me around thanks

i must now read the rest of you guys posts

Im dissappointed.......

Not by the picture, but your user name VTi-S.....i wanted to see a nice vtec civic in there :D

PS. Finding the articles up above very good too.

kceire wrote: »

Im dissappointed.......

Not by the picture, but your user name VTi-S.....i wanted to see a nice vtec civic in there :D

PS. Finding the articles up above very good too.

grate help here .. i sold my civic but ill get a pix

• Advertisement
Advertisement