Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the final verdict: to windows 8 or not to windows 8, that is the question

Options
  • 31-10-2012 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hi, so after viewing a lot of videos online about windows 8 i cant make up my mind, a lot of people seem to be bashing it while others are praising it, it seems to be 50/50 for me, a lot of people seem to be afraid of the new UI created for the compatablilty for touch screen devices and not so much on the OS itself, a lot of them have said its just windows 7 but tuned up and its a lot faster, no one seems to mention you have an option to put back to a normal looking destop built in to it already; ie no "metro" or "modern" UI just the normal icons and wallpaper background. Im really tempted to update while the price is good and media center is free. I want to hear what you guys have to say about your final conclusions win 8 before i make the leap to upgrade.

TLDR: What is your final thoughts on Windows 8 OS worth an upgrade or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I upgraded last weekend and find it great, nice extra turn of speed and looks slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Borderfox wrote: »
    I upgraded last weekend and find it great, nice extra turn of speed and looks slick.

How do you find manuvering about the OS is it easy to find stuff and did all your old programmes transfer flawlessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't like it at all, it's like having two O/S in one, tiles or desktop, it's geared towards touch screens, I'll stick with 7 and XP, I still love XP by far Microsoft's best O/S.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People will always be naturally resistant to change. Doesn't matter what change it is.

with technology, these are the people who come to me in their middle age and describe themselves as "illiterate"; the type of people that grew up when typewriters and always had a procrastination about learning newer systems. My Engineering Technology (intro to CAD) teacher put it to me that she was watching old-timers get passed up for promotion because they still relied on using older UI methods, like typing in their commands, rather than adopting the newer context-driven menus to produce their work. As such, she and the newer engineers could draft things up at nearly twice the level of productivity.

When I was growing up, my 3rd grade teacher had a barely-functioning typewriter that she kept for nostalgia. Meanwhile the schools were just getting their hands on windows-based PCs. I was 6 years old and teaching the school counselor how to double-click an icon in order to launch a program. She thought it was amazing. By the 4th grade every class I had for the next several years had older IBM PCs in the corner for typing lessons. In the 6th grade, I had access to Macs and we were learning about things like the difference between gif and jpeg. Even when I got to Ireland, I ended up performing a hostile takeover of our PC technology class: it was taught by a cabbage farmer (or he just really liked cabbage, he smelled the part) and it was painful trying to watch him teach boolean gates from notes he didn't himself understand. I had to correct him often.

getting into a bit of a ramble here but the point is if you don't adopt eventually, everything will change with or without you. People hanging on to XP impress me only because its an old OS that is now no longer supported, susceptible to vulnerabilities, and had god-awful networking support.

Also, I waited to buy the family pack to 7 and it cost me a lot of money: the family pack was an awesome deal that was only good for the first 3 months. Similarly Win 8 and 8 pro licenses are stupid-cheap compared to what they will be come february. Considering the next OS from MSFT won't be for another several years, now seems like an excellent time to get a jump on it. Windows 8 performs better under the hood (Aero required more resources than the Tiles do now), I havent researched gaming benches that much but I hear there is a marked improvement, and if you bother your hole to spend the hour or less it takes to get your head around the UI the verdict I have is it streamlines probably 95% of what you actually do on a PC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It does feel a little disjointed and not a huge fan of the tiled start menu (that may be because it is jam packed out of the box with bloatware that is of dubious use to me). Will spend a bit of time over the next few days tailoring it more to my liking. The primary instinct of tiled Apps to occupy an entire 1080p screen to display a minimal amount of information is really, really annoying though.

When I do find the things I am looking for I'm pretty impressed for the most part, performance is great and anything that is familiar from Windows 7 is by and large improved upon here as well.

The harshest criticism of it are certainly a little over the top, but at the same time basically accusing people who dislike it of Luddism is a bit unfair, as you surely have to concede it is a somewhat of a mixed bag on the desktop front.

How could it be otherwise given the major changes were motivated not because Windows 7 was broken, but mainly by tablet and phone market share. That they have kept almost all of Windows 7 once you peek under the hood is testament to that.

Definitely not going back to 7, however not yet sure if I will grow to merely tolerate it or like it. I shall certainly keep experimentig with a very open mind over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

ok i think i might upgrade so, backing up windows 7 as we speak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm actually liking the blocky, plain chrome in W8 and I never thought I'd say that.
    It's very slick and clean to look at and work in.
    The Modern UI is also growing on me the further I learn and use the keyboard shortcuts (which I was always not inclined to learn and use in past Windows)

It's lightening fast and every single piece of hardware has worked on 4 different machines bar one ancient dual satellite/terrestrial tuner card which I got to work with another manufacturers driver (same hardware)
    There are a few bits that MS has left out like showing non-plug and play drivers in device manager but I'm sure there'll be reg tweak for that soon enough.

For those that can't do without the start menu, Start8 from Stardock for 5dollars is excellent plus there are a few other free start menus about.

At 14.99 + free WMC right now, I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'm actually liking the blocky, plain chrome in W8 and I never thought I'd say that.
    The Modern UI is also growing on me the further I learn and use the keyboard shortcuts (which I was always not inclined to learn and use in past Windows)

It's lightening fast and every single piece of hardware has worked on 4 different machines bar one ancient dual satellite/terrestrial tuner card which I got to work with another manufacturers driver (same hardware)
    There are a few bits that MS has left out like showing non-plug and play drivers in device manager but I'm sure there'll be reg tweak for that soon enough.

For those that can't do without the start menu, Start8 from Stardock for 5dollars is excellent plus there are a few other free start menus about.

At 14.99 + free WMC right now, I'd say go for it.[/Quote

Where do I get it for 14.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've put it on a HP4400 which is a dizitiser screen [stylus touch, not finger touch]. It works say 85%. Some of the features just won't work even if they are supposedly compatible, the screen rotation won't work and case buttons won't work.

I hate, hate the ui, it really is pants and actually adds extra touches. There are clear differences though and the desktop is a different environment. Say I install Google Chrome and click on it as an app, it works in a slightly different way, but is quite usable.

However, not all feature are supported and HAM radio software has to be run on the desktop and here one runs into problems, if you have logged into Chrome on you need to log in again on the desktop version, this sometime brings up account conflicts.

It works OK, I've installed it on one laptop and that's as far as I'll take it. I did try Window 7 on this previously and it was more of a disaster.

So: if you are an average Windows user you will be grand, if you are an advanced Windows user you won't like it for all your work or projects [you won't have only one PC anyway].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I love it. I have to say despite havign a non touch screen device I still feel I can navigate and get things done quicker in win8 then on win 7 (which I loved). I need less clicks and key strokes to get things done which is great. Metro to me is like a giant quick launch tool bar and being able to switch between windows with just the windows key is very handy. I must admit I detested a lot of the previews but the final product is a worthy successor to win 7. It'll probably be a shock to a lot of people at first but in the end I think win 8 will be a huge success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ftlnn wrote: »

Bargain alerts thread, and I would advise to clean install not upgrade.
    There is a link in that thread with instructions

gbee wrote: »
    I've put it on a HP4400 which is a dizitiser screen [stylus touch, not finger touch]. It works say 85%. Some of the features just won't work even if they are supposedly compatible, the screen rotation won't work and case buttons won't work.
    I probably should have mentioned at some point Windows 8 is only going to work optimally with touch interfaces which are 8 certified, and you will see a Windows 8 logo on these pieces of hardware.

I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate, and while it just came out at CES 2012 in January, [On the Consumer Preview still] the touch screen is very responsive but the hardware buttons consistently fail to work after waking from sleep until the next reboot. For all I care though, these buttons are Volume, Rotation Lock, and a physical start button. The UI takes care of all that from the charms-settings panel: you can enable or disable rotation lock there too. I haven't seen updated drivers on Samsung's website either. I havent gone and manually installed anything either though, so eh ha. It also has a Wacom digitizer pen and it works quite well.

The tc4400 is Windows XP-old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just installed on my laptop and not liking it so far.

Metro UI looks horrible and I don't have a microsoft account to sign into anything.(nor do I want one)

It's not clear if there is two versions of the same application installed or what? I do like the speed though.

It should ask you on install what type of machine it is and adjust the interface accordingly to either metro or the desktop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have an MS Dev account so can install W8 now on a newish laptop I only recently installed with all my stuff.

My question is, as I use a lot of dev/graphics software and am likely to be running it in "desktop" mode 95% of the time, is it worth upgrading?

Can you essentially run it in desktop (read: Window 7) mode all the time?

Would quite like to have the new look and a speed bump if likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Dades wrote: »
    I have an MS Dev account so can install W8 now on a newish laptop I only recently installed with all my stuff.

My question is, as I use a lot of dev/graphics software and am likely to be running it in "desktop" mode 95% of the time, is it worth upgrading?

Can you essentially run it in desktop (read: Window 7) mode all the time?

Would quite like to have the new look and a speed bump if likely.

A classic shell is available for W8
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011537/bend-windows-8-to-your-will-with-these-free-tools.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting, thanks.

I'm not that afraid of change that I want to reskin it to W7, though! Just want to see if there's a benefit/loss to upgrading even if I'm going to be in the revised look desktop mode most of the time.* :)

* My understanding is that if you want to operate numerous app/folder windows tiled over a couple of monitors this isn't possible in Metro mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dades wrote: »
    Just want to see if there's a benefit/loss to upgrading even if I'm going to be in the revised look desktop mode most of the time.* :)

I've been in desktop mode pretty much all year :D

W8 starts quicker, uses less resources and is very stable. And if you prefer to use the desktop mode 100% as in W7, install a start menu (like vistart)

Ok so i upgraded last night, have to say im kinda impressed with it, BUT! i dont like that you have to have a hotmail account to use some features and finding stuff is can be a bit of pain untill you figure out how to use the search properly switching it between apps,settings,files, i was kinda stumped till i figured that out, it seems to rely on shortcuts alot to get to where you want to go which is fine for people that know what there doing, but i wouldnt upgrade the grandparents laptop because they would be stumped about how to use it. i suppose you could download a classic shell tho and let them use that. overall i think im pretty happy with it and will continue to learn my way about it :) one question tho i have already installed it on my laptop and i hear people talk about a clean install is the best way to go. my questions is what is the beneifits of a clean install and 2. can i clean install after insatlling it already? thanks :)

You dont need a hotmail account, just a Live account. It doesnt actually require you to establish a hotmail inbox.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    You dont need a hotmail account, just a Live account. It doesnt actually require you to establish a hotmail inbox.

had a second look you are correct apologies

Also under the "general" settings if you scroll down to the bottom theres options to refresh, remove everything and install and install from dvd/usb, if i choose to do the remove all and reinstall windows is that the same as a clean install? more or less?

Also under the "general" settings if you scroll down to the bottom theres options to refresh, remove everything and install and install from dvd/usb, if i choose to do the remove all and reinstall is that the same as a clean install? more or less?
    It's a factory reset, basically.

I'm finding on our display models not every OEM seems to like to play ball with this setting, and will tell you it can't find the right files. Frankly, I'd say try out these settings now before you get ingrained, that way you'll know they are ready to work if and when you need them. Got it working on a few desktops and the ASUS TF600 RT and the reset will take approximately an hour.

If you Start > Recovery theres the option to create recovery media as well. Definitely do this. a 32GB flash drive will get the job done. Not every SKU will give you the option for DVD backups.

I'm finding on our display models not every OEM seems to like to play ball with this setting, and will tell you it can't find the right files. Frankly, I'd say try out these settings now before you get ingrained, that way you'll know they are ready to work if and when you need them. Got it working on a few desktops and the ASUS TF600 RT and the reset will take approximately an hour.

If you Start > Recovery theres the option to create recovery media as well. Definitely do this. a 32GB flash drive will get the job done. Not every SKU will give you the option for DVD backups.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You dont need a hotmail account, just a Live account.

And the difference is??? ^^

ya i had that problem with it not finding the right files, but i found if you burn the ISO off on to a disk and use the recover from usb/disk and choose reset it willl ask for the disk and away you go :) but jaysus it takes ages to do a complete reset of all drives :/ but it seems to be working hopefully twill be finished soo

Torqay wrote: »
    And the difference is??? ^^
    Nothing you need to worry about, get back in the bomb shelter.

Help its not recogzing USB2.0 CRW it says theres no driver installed, i cant use my external Hdd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Help its not recogzing USB2.0 CRW it says theres no driver installed, i cant use my external Hdd :(

USB2.0 CRW is a Realtek card reader, should have nothing to do with your external HDD.

Have you tried Windows Update? Make & model of your computer? Any other unknown devices in the device manager? If so, please post the hardware ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't need any email account to install windows 8...

Advertisement