Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the final verdict: to windows 8 or not to windows 8, that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

unkel wrote: »
    You don't need any email account to install windows 8...
    Regarding Live accounts. There are of course Local account options as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Torqay wrote: »
    USB2.0 CRW is a Realtek card reader, should have nothing to do with your external HDD.

Have you tried Windows Update? Make & model of your computer? Any other unknown devices in the device manager? If so, please post the hardware ID.

thanks you for trying to assist, i ended up doing a factory restore and getting all the drivers and that back to normal and am currently updating them before i try to upgrade again, lesson learned the hard way dont clean install unless you know what your at :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Overheal wrote: »
    Regarding Live accounts. There are of course Local account options as well.

It's good training for next windows which, according to gossips, should be cloud-based. No internet - no computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

had a new laptop delivered last night with windows 8 on it.

HOOOOLLLLY MOOOOLLLLLYYYYY, I am so confused. I did only get half an hour or so to fiddle around with it but in that time i was in hysterics laughing at how much I was confused!!! I felt like an 80 year old woman using a computer for the first time! :pac:

It's so incredibly different and will take a bit of getting used to, but so be it. I can see alot of nice touches and streamlined ideas in there so i imagine it will be good once you figure it out.

as far as change is concerned, good! I welcome it! I don't intend on being an old outdated "cabbage farmer" quite yet! Well done to microsoft for getting out of the comfort zone before it got too stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

zom wrote: »
    It's good training for next windows which, according to gossips, should be cloud-based. No internet - no computer.

Yeah, Google is trying to sell cloud-based computers for years with little success. They've learned the lesson and you can now play Angry Birds and Pacman when you're not online. Of course, they don't call it defeat but progress, the "new feature" is termed "offline-capability". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Xbox Music is fantastic. Definitely going to be subscribing to it, if it works well for copying offline music for offline listening on other devices (which will more than likely be a Windows Phone 8 device)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

How do you find manuvering about the OS is it easy to find stuff and did all your old programmes transfer flawlessly?

No problems finding my way around and all programs moved without a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

I'm a heavy business laptop user and my old Dell Vostro 3500 is due an upgrade. I'm travelling a lot so low weight and long battery life as well as a decent size screen (14" minimum) are pre requisites.

I'm thinking of investing in a Lenovo X1 Ultrabook http://shop.lenovo.com/ieweb/ie/en/learn/products/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon which will do me for at least the next 3 years but I'm unsure as to whether I should stick with Win 7 (which I'm currently running and very familiar with) or go with Win 8. My primary use will be MS Office type apps. All all my working files are sync'd to DropBox and my Email is hosted by Google Apps so I'm pretty much cloud based.

From reading the whole thread it seems Win 8 is faster and has more features and if you don't like the Tiled UI you can switch it off in favour of a "Desktop" UI and/or install an aftermarket app which will allow you get the benefits of Win 8 via a Win 7 type UI with "Start" button etc.

Comments on my understanding above and whether Win 8 is the right way to go?

Cheers,

Ben

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you buy a windows 7 laptop now, you can purchase the upgrade for €15 and upgrade if you need to later on.
    Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

When you drag a window to the left/right for it to snap I I've been told that the split isn't 50/50 but more like 60/40 and you cannot resize the window? Is this true?
    I don't mean to be nit picking but my next computer will run OSX if this is the case, don't want to have to install programs to create basic functionality that was built in Win 7 (Start menu/snap to etc)

• Advertisement

If you buy a windows 7 laptop now, you can purchase the upgrade for €15 and upgrade if you need to later on.
    Best of both worlds.

Hi Capt, appreciate the info.

I'm a lazy fecker though and really don't want (and wouldn't trust myself) to upgrade Win 7 to Win 8. I'd rather go with one or the other and stick with it from the beginning.

Hence the dithering over whether to plum for Win 8 yet or not.

If my original assessment that Win 8 = Win 7 but faster/leaner with more functionality and the bits I might not like (the tiled UI) can be re-set to a desktop/win 7 type UI, then I might just go with Win 8 as it would likely extend the useful life of the new laptop.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 82,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mrmeindl wrote: »
    When you drag a window to the left/right for it to snap I I've been told that the split isn't 50/50 but more like 60/40 and you cannot resize the window? Is this true?
    I don't mean to be nit picking but my next computer will run OSX if this is the case, don't want to have to install programs to create basic functionality that was built in Win 7 (Start menu/snap to etc)
    "Apps" are indeed restricted in side-by-side functionality to about a 60/40 or 40/60, however anything "Desktop" based can still be modified at whim, leaving the Aero UI almost largely untouched, save for the lack of transparent window borders; you can still Snap, Shake, and Peek. Snapping in Desktop mode still snaps it 50/50, and you can manually adjust it.

Everything you currently use is Desktop-based, so that can all act the same way. It's only the new Apps from the Windows store (and some preloaded, like the Mail client) that are going to be in the App API.

Start, while being cosmetically different, offers much of the same functionality: you press Windows key, type something, and your result pops up - the only key difference is it now defaults to program results, but you can click the filter to perform your typed search under settings or files, etc.

Overheal wrote: »
    "Apps" are indeed restricted in side-by-side functionality to about a 60/40 or 40/60, however anything "Desktop" based can still be modified at whim, leaving the Aero UI almost largely untouched, save for the lack of transparent window borders; you can still Snap, Shake, and Peek. Snapping in Desktop mode still snaps it 50/50, and you can manually adjust it.

Everything you currently use is Desktop-based, so that can all act the same way. It's only the new Apps from the Windows store (and some preloaded, like the Mail client) that are going to be in the App API.

Start, while being cosmetically different, offers much of the same functionality: you press Windows key, type something, and your result pops up - the only key difference is it now defaults to program results, but you can click the filter to perform your typed search under settings or files, etc.

Ah, good to know thanks. I'll see if I can get a free copy on dreamspark over xmas and put it on a spare hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can't see too many enterprises upgrading to 8.....
    Most of them are still using xp and slowly upgrading to 7.
    In my last job there was still a few windows2000 machines knocking about.

Can't see too many enterprises upgrading to 8.....
    Most of them are still using xp and slowly upgrading to 7.
    In my last job there was still a few windows2000 machines knocking about.

But will they be able to get new licenses for 7? I thought MS would stop sales of new licenses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mrmeindl wrote: »
    But will they be able to get new licenses for 7? I thought MS would stop sales of new licenses.
    Business licenses cost more because they include downgrade rights to previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Another reason not to like Windows 8.

Microsoft has given Windows users yet another reason to complain.

The company revealed yesterday that Media Center will not be built into Windows 8 despite past assurances that it would be part of the new OS. Instead, users of the Windows 8 Professional edition will have to pony up money for a Media Center Pack. Those running the basic version of Windows 8 will have to pay for a Windows 8 Pro Pack just to get Media Center.

The lack of Media Center also means that DVD playback won't natively be available in Windows 8 since that option won't be part of Windows Media Player. Users who want to play DVDs will either have to pay for the upgrade or rely on third-party utilities.

Many of the people responding to Microsoft's blog discussing the decision are none too happy.

Some are upset over the loss of Media Center. Others are griping about the inability to play DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

200motels wrote: »

The company revealed yesterday that Media Center will not be built into Windows 8 despite past assurances that it would be part of the new OS. Instead, users of the Windows 8 Professional edition will have to pony up money for a Media Center Pack. Those running the basic version of Windows 8 will have to pay for a Windows 8 Pro Pack just to get Media Center.

The lack of Media Center also means that DVD playback won't natively be available in Windows 8 since that option won't be part of Windows Media Player. Users who want to play DVDs will either have to pay for the upgrade or rely on third-party utilities.

Many of the people responding to Microsoft's blog discussing the decision are none too happy.

Some are upset over the loss of Media Center. Others are griping about the inability to play DVDs.
    This old news. You can upgrade for free until the end of January. I agree that it's crazy not to include it though. I upgraded last week to windows 8 and start8. The only reason I did though is because I got it for 14 euro's. No real issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have it as a fresh install on a new laptop and find it quite sluggish, which is worrying when you consider the impact on performance from the waves of patches and hotfixes that will arrive over the lifetime of the laptop which will be effectively shortened by degraded performance.W
    My feeling is that W8 is not just a name but a description.

Grand for the kids to faff about with but really annoying to try and work with.
    lots of unnecessary mouse movement and clicking for what were simple tasks, change for the sake of change with no benefit to the end user would be my thoughts.

I would suggest sticking to Win7 and waiting for the next OS, W8 is just another Vista/ME and the beating that MS get in the market place will/should drive them to sort things out in the next OS.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

200motels wrote: »

If you're only using Media Centre for DVD playback it's a waste of bloody space and you're better off with VLC.

Not to mention that you get a warning when running the upgrade advisor about this, so it's not like you'd be able to hit a point of installing the software without realising this. Also, they're offering it free to people on Win 8 Pro until the end of January, so anyone worried about it can get a code.

I've never really used Media Centre nor understood the love for it, myself (though that's in part because I've long ago concluded that Microsoft are very rarely the authors of the best Windows-based utility for performing any given task, be it a simple one like compressed file management or a fiddly one like video-editing...) I agree that native DVD playback on a commercial OS should've present at no additional cost, but personally I would've been fine with them just leaving it in Media Player.
    fenris wrote: »
    I have it as a fresh install on a new laptop and find it quite sluggish, which is worrying when you consider the impact on performance from the waves of patches and hotfixes that will arrive over the lifetime of the laptop which will be effectively shortened by degraded performance.W
    My feeling is that W8 is not just a name but a description.

Grand for the kids to faff about with but really annoying to try and work with.
    lots of unnecessary mouse movement and clicking for what were simple tasks, change for the sake of change with no benefit to the end user would be my thoughts.

I would suggest sticking to Win7 and waiting for the next OS, W8 is just another Vista/ME and the beating that MS get in the market place will/should drive them to sort things out in the next OS.

Have you benchmarked the same laptop against Win7 to prove this? Because on the half a dozen machines I've stuck the release preview or final versions on, I've not necessarily seen an improvement but I've definitely seen performance parity (as you'd expect because it's mostly the same damn kernel underpinning it). Have you checked you've got driver support for Win8? Have you tested the drivers from Win7 to see if this makes a difference?

If so, can you share the details with us? I'm sure anyone else considering the same hardware would be grateful to you for sharing your experience thus far.

As regards the unnecessary mouse usage - I'm inclined to agree, but fortunately I'm generally more comfortable with keyboard shortcuts so if you spend a little time familiarising yourself with either the new keyboard shortcuts (see here for links) or the full list of Windows 8 shortcuts (see here for links). It makes a big difference in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Laptop Specs:
    CPU = i7 3630QM
    Graphics = NVidia GT650M 2GB DDR3
    RAM = 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
    HD = 1Tb SATA

Compared to win7 even basic desktop operations are a little sluggish, I am trying to find and turn off all power saving features that may be stepping back performance, but from a basic install perspective the impression is negative.

Haven't tried win7 drivers yet, I had vainly hoped that a brand new install might actually work well out of the box!

From an interface perspective it would be okay on a tablet where you have fingers at both sides of the screen to swipe and flick which is grand for casual use like angry birds or surfing the web but there is a reason that we don't use tablets for real work and that is the relative inefficiency of the interface for activities needing the input of information rather than just basic manipulation.

My overall impression is that W8 is half arsed and rushed to market, it would be worth paying extra to not have it on a new machine as anyone who needs/wants the performance that their hardware is capable of will have to roll back to Win7 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On a few weeks from installation everything going great, performance is excellent and startup speed has halved if not more from w7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Borderfox wrote: »
    On a few weeks from installation everything going great, performance is excellent and startup speed has halved if not more from w7
    I would agree with you, i made the change 3 weeks ago and have no complaints.Startup speed much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You really need a touchscreen to appreciate the new UI, startup/shutdown times are improved and they have done away with the BSoD as well as the start menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Dunno about you lot but I'll be waiting for SP1 (or whatever new major update name is) before putting it on my main machine....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

justryan wrote: »
    You really need a touchscreen to appreciate the new UI, startup/shutdown times are improved and they have done away with the BSoD as well as the start menu!

The BSOD is still there, it just gives you a sad face emoticon and a single error code.

I would agree with you, i made the change 3 weeks ago and have no complaints.Startup speed much faster.

Very glad to hear this. Just ordered a Lenovo X1 Carbon i7 with 180GB SSD with Win 8. Was advised by others to stick with Win 7 as Win 8 is the new "Vista" i.e. crap V1 of a new OS which will only become really functional and polished when Win 9 is released but I went with my gut and plumbed for Win 8.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BenThere wrote: »
    Very glad to hear this. Just ordered a Lenovo X1 Carbon i7 with 180GB SSD with Win 8. Was advised by others to stick with Win 7 as Win 8 is the new "Vista" i.e. crap V1 of a new OS which will only become really functional and polished when Win 9 is released but I went with my gut and plumbed for Win 8.

Ben
    you will be grand just accept the fact it will take a few days to get used to the new bits and pieces, to be honest i use the standard desktop 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Looks interesting and straight forward, I might give it a shot when i receive my new external hard drive for back-up. No harm in trying it out i think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fenris wrote: »
    Laptop Specs:
    CPU = i7 3630QM
    Graphics = NVidia GT650M 2GB DDR3
    RAM = 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
    HD = 1Tb SATA

Compared to win7 even basic desktop operations are a little sluggish, I am trying to find and turn off all power saving features that may be stepping back performance, but from a basic install perspective the impression is negative.

Haven't tried win7 drivers yet, I had vainly hoped that a brand new install might actually work well out of the box!

From an interface perspective it would be okay on a tablet where you have fingers at both sides of the screen to swipe and flick which is grand for casual use like angry birds or surfing the web but there is a reason that we don't use tablets for real work and that is the relative inefficiency of the interface for activities needing the input of information rather than just basic manipulation.

My overall impression is that W8 is half arsed and rushed to market, it would be worth paying extra to not have it on a new machine as anyone who needs/wants the performance that their hardware is capable of will have to roll back to Win7 eventually.

It could be a case of Microsoft's native drivers not being the best fit for your hardware - I had a similar issue with my last desktop and Windows 7, it took a combination of reserving memory for graphics and a driver update one year down the line before I got stable performance from it, and all because something about the drivers that the Windows Update routine had selected automatically didn't play nicely with the Windows Display Manager...

I'd check with your laptop vendor to see if they have any driver updates for Windows 8, and if not try installing the Windows 7 drivers manually to see how you get on.

Advertisement