Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnection?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

When we moved into our house in January we took over the EI account from the previous tenant. There was a security deposit of 300 outstanding on the bill but we have never been able to afford to pay it and thus paid only the portion of the bill that related to the charges. We have now gotten a letter saying that the next step will be disconnection unless we pay the 300. However we can no longer afford to live in our house so will be moving out when the lease is up on December 31st and moving home. It is therefore not feasible for us to pay the deposit. What can we do to avoid being disconnected before we move?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Although they have treathened disconnection , the most likely outcome is that they will fit a token meter , that way every time you top it up you will pay a percentage off your outstanding balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Contact your local citizen's information centre. They should be able to advise you. If you are on a social welfare benefit you may get help from the CWO who sits in the local health centre. If you have anyone in your household who is particularly vunerable,e.g. under 18, over 65 or with a chronic health problem or disability inform E.I. in writing. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It may now be different but some time back I know you could not be disconnected except for non-payment of electricity charges. Wait and see what the reps here from EI say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Mizers,

Paying by direct debit removes a security deposit charge. Customers who are on direct debit can still make payments onto their Electric Ireland account in the months between bills in order to reduce the total by the time it is due for direct debit collection.

If you wish, private message me the account details. Just to advise: I can only discuss account particulars with the named account-holder. I would require the Electric Ireland account number, the name/address in full of the account-holder and either the contact telephone number on the account or the date of birth.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

also,in regards to the direct debit how long do you have to pay by this method before
    you can pay in the post office as normal or does it always have to be by direct debit if you have never paid the deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi irishgirl19,

The security deposit of €300 is refunded after 6 clear bills (roughly 14 months), or when an account is closed. After the 14 months, a customer may cancel the direct debit without having a security deposit reapplied.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

hi David,thats good to know. Thanks for getting back to me

Advertisement