Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent burst pipes

Options
  • 31-10-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Am in horrors of being without water if pipes freeze or worse a pipe bursting. Know there are measures to help prevent but am totally impractical and wouldn't know where to start to insulate pipes, even fit a stopcock cosy(been doing my research!! ). don't suppose there's inservice in cork that would do basis insulation. anything I've found online seems to be lining cavity walls whereas I just want a hangman type service from someone who's experienced and knows cheap ways of insulating. anyone know of any many offering this service in city area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭seanhalpin

For a "hangman service" there was a guy knocking around by the name of Albert Pierpoint who did it but he died in 1992. Not sure if anyone else is doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

seanhalpin wrote: »
    For a "hangman service" there was a guy knocking around by the name of Albert Pierpoint who did it but he died in 1992.

That's "noose" to me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

mikom wrote: »

That's "noose" to me......

I was wondering what the hell ye were on about until went back and read what id written. Doh! Worse, stupid thing is posted 3 times too,have to go back and edit although am loath to as yer comments won't make any sense to others and by god,they're good and deserve to be read and appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

seefin wrote: »
    Am in horrors of being without water if pipes freeze or worse a pipe bursting. Know there are measures to help prevent but am totally impractical and wouldn't know where to start to insulate pipes, even fit a stopcock cosy(been doing my research!! ). don't suppose there's inservice in cork that would do basis insulation. anything I've found online seems to be lining cavity walls whereas I just want a hangman type service from someone who's experienced and knows cheap ways of insulating. anyone know of any many offering this service in city area?

Get a plumber. Buyvthe material yourself, it shouldn't cost more the 100 for labour 50 for material

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Get a plumber. Buyvthe material yourself, it shouldn't cost more the 100 for labour 50 for material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

leave your water running

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

leave your water running

Please don't or everybody else will be without water or worse low pressure.

Did you have an issue with pipes freezing before in your house?

A simple tip if pipes in your attic froze before and you have a power source up there, stick in a plug in light on a timer, the heat from the blub in all but the coldest weather should keep the pipes free.

Also even a simple solution is to place a few mats over your stopcock just to keep it a bit insulated.

If your supply froze in your pipes outside the house, it would be a bigger job of digging up the pipes and laying them deeper and placing insulation on or around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Spindle wrote: »
    Did you have an issue with pipes freezing before in your house?

A simple tip if pipes in your attic froze before and you have a power source up there, stick in a plug in light on a timer, the heat from the blub in all but the coldest weather should keep the pipes free.

Also even a simple solution is to place a few mats over your stopcock just to keep it a bit insulated.

If your supply froze in your pipes outside the house, it would be a bigger job of digging up the pipes and laying them deeper and placing insulation on or around them.
    Have light in attic and luckily hasn't frozen there to date.I need to put extra insulation there anyway so said might be good time to protect tank etc(someone said that the more insulation in attic,the more chance of attic freezing cos less heat coming up from house? )
    any idea how much might cost to put pipes lower from stopcock to house? That's where has previously frozen. Again would general plumber do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yes coz low pressure is soooo much worse than no water. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have light in attic and luckily hasn't frozen there to date.I need to put extra insulation there anyway so said might be good time to protect tank etc(someone said that the more insulation in attic,the more chance of attic freezing cos less heat coming up from house? )
    any idea how much might cost to put pipes lower from stopcock to house? That's where has previously frozen. Again would general plumber do this?

Eh?? Heat RISES. If the tank/loft is well insulated, why would it freeze?
    I find the best thing to do is simply open the loft hatch for that reason. (If the loft is insulated in the first place!)

I don't understand why people would leave the water running. What on earth for?? It doesn't stop the pipes from freezing. It wastes water. What would happen when the water meters come in? Would you be running the water in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

I don't understand why people would leave the water running. What on earth for?? It doesn't stop the pipes from freezing. It wastes water. What would happen when the water meters come in? Would you be running the water in the same way?[/QUOTE]

Keeps the system running thus stops the pipes freezing.

rebelden wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would leave the water running. What on earth for?? It doesn't stop the pipes from freezing. It wastes water. What would happen when the water meters come in? Would you be running the water in the same way?

Keeps the system running thus stops the pipes freezing.[/QUOTE]

Like I say. It doesn't. People tried that a couple of winters ago. Guess what? It didn't work.

Keeps the system running thus stops the pipes freezing.

Like I say. It doesn't. People tried that a couple of winters ago. Guess what? It didn't work.[/QUOTE]

It does work. Running water won't freeze. Only needs to be a small flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

corkgsxr wrote: »
    It does work. Running water won't freeze. Only needs to be a small flow.

Running water can, and will freeze. It's the fact the tap is on so there is no build up of pressure in the pipe between where the water freezes and the tap. The ice doesn't burst the pipe, it's the build up of pressure from the water from the expanding ice in the pipe that bursts it.

Running water can, and will freeze. It's the fact the tap is on so there is no build up of pressure in the pipe between where the water freezes and the tap. The ice doesn't burst the pipe, it's the build up of pressure from the water from the expanding ice in the pipe that bursts it.

Thank you!! I've never come across this before, being English. NOBODY I know has the idiotic idea of running water in a bid to keep the pipes clear. For a start, like I've said it doesn't work.

Secondly, the pipes tend to be buried deep enough and are properly lagged. Something that doesn't always happen here especially with newer build properties, as I've learned to our cost.

Thirdly, we have water rates with some houses already metered, so people tend not to do this as we have to pay for the water! Like I've said, what will happen when you have to start paying for it?

OP - Just make sure you have adequate insulation for the loft and tank. Make sure your pipes are properly lagged. If you can, make sure the outside pipes are buried deep enough to minimise the risk of freezing (and bursting).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funny how the three houses with water on our road a couple of years ago were the ones who had left the water running. Some coincidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Moving water freezes just the same as stagnant water does . Iv fixed countless pipes burst by ice . Its always houses with bad or no insulation .
    Insulate the ceiling/roof of the attic and pipes in shafts and floor . Insulate tanks in attic .
    Think about it its costing you a fortune heating the house uninsulated but you are paying to do that and then constantly wasting water by running it which has absolutely no benefit .
    What if the waste pipe trap freezes and you leave your sink overflowing all day ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Moving water freezes at a temperature alot lower than 0C. Why do lakes freeze before rivers etc. It makes sense to keep you water running if your pipes aren't properly insulated. You aren't charged for water now so don't worry about it (it isn't like we have a shortage of it in this country).

Obviously it is better if you have your own pump and you will never have to pay for water.

In the 2 bad winters only froze once, the night herself turned off the cold tap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Holy jaysus . The top of the lake freezes not the whole lake . But go for it run tap all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cian92 wrote: »
    (it isn't like we have a shortage of it in this country).

This kind of comment is what's wrong with this country. Lots of rain doesn't equal lots of drinking water. People seem to have no idea of the processing that goes into providing clean drinking water. Hopefully water meters will put an end to the shocking waste of water that goes on. Of course the relevant councils also need to step up and repair the leaks in the system.

Holy jaysus . The top of the lake freezes not the whole lake . But go for it run tap all day .

I know, I know. I've never seen anything like it until I moved here. I've found a lot of the newer properties are a triumph of style over substance. Hardly any have damp proofing which I would've thought would be a must, given the climate. Inadequate insulation (if there was any at all), inadequate ventilation, so you have problems with mold. Outside pipes too shallow, hence the problems of freezing and bursting. Then we have the bright idea of running the taps!!

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

mordeith wrote: »
    This kind of comment is what's wrong with this country. Lots of rain doesn't equal lots of drinking water. People seem to have no idea of the processing that goes into providing clean drinking water. Hopefully water meters will put an end to the shocking waste of water that goes on. Of course the relevant councils also need to step up and repair the leaks in the system.

Simply put if you have your own well there isn't much processing at all that goes into providing drinking water. It is installed once and works for years on end.

I can't see how people can argue that running water freezes at the same temperature as still water (just google it if you don't believe me).

It is up to people how they maintain their water supply during the cold spell, I can tell you though that in my house we will continue to leave the tap running.

mordeith wrote: »

A grow up ffs, Ireland's problem is min 50% is gone before it reaches houses. But it's cheaper to charge you for it than fix the pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moving water freezes at a temperature alot lower than 0C. Why do lakes freeze before rivers etc. It makes sense to keep you water running if your pipes aren't properly insulated. You aren't charged for water now so don't worry about it (it isn't like we have a shortage of it in this country).

Obviously it is better if you have your own pump and you will never have to pay for water.

What a stupid thing to say. It falls from the sky into your taps and toilet cistern does it? Cleaned, filtered and pumped? I cannot WAIT for water meters to be installed to slap some sense into morons like this.

People take so much for granted, but this one takes the piss altogether. What do you think they do at all those water treatment plants, sit around eating biscuits all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

corkgsxr wrote: »
    A grow up ffs, Ireland's problem is min 50% is gone before it reaches houses. But it's cheaper to charge you for it than fix the pipes

As I said in my post the councils should address this problem . . . ffs.
    And how does charging for it solve the problem? They still need to fix the infrastructure. Charging will prevent people wasting it on crap like sprinkling their lawns and washing their cars by standing there with a running hose.

• Advertisement

What about the people who then suffer low water pressure, due to the massive drain on the whole system, by leaving water running. When that happens I can no longer have showers, I suppose I can call over to your house to use the shower then.

Just to correct the science (fresh) water freezes at 0c, it doesn't matter if that is in a lake or river. Water has a unique property that at 4c it reaches maximum density. At this point the water sinks to the bottom causing warmer less dense water to rise. Once the body of water reaches 4c throughout this process stops and the top layer can be cooled to below 4c and will stay on top as it is less dense. Eventually it will be cooled to freezing point.

So a body of moving water that is all at 4c or below can still freeze no matter if it is moving or not. It is just with moving water there are more factors like the energy(causes slight heating) created from it moving etc that make it slightly harder for this process to complete.

The short answer if you have a problem with freezing pipes lay them deeper and insulate them, then you won't have any problems.

Advertisement