Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent burst pipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Surely it is nothing to do with the freezing point of stagnant v flowing water, but that slightly warmer water is coming into the system and therefore preventing freezing. I don't usually advocate leaving the water flowing but as for low pressure preventing you having a shower...boo hoo. Wash other ways. At least you have water to wash with, flush the toilets etc etc.

After being without water for christmas eve, christmas day and stephens say a couple of years ago I will be letting the water trickle in the main tap in the house if it goes below about -7/-8 again. Trying to cook christmas dinner that day was not fun...lack of a shower was the least of the problems in fairness. Tough choice...dig up the drive way and lay pipes deeper or let the tap trickle away...I know which I will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Ludo wrote: »
    Surely it is nothing to do with the freezing point of stagnant v flowing water, but that slightly warmer water is coming into the system and therefore preventing freezing. I don't usually advocate leaving the water flowing but as for low pressure preventing you having a shower...boo hoo. Wash other ways. At least you have water to wash with, flush the toilets etc etc.

After being without water for christmas eve, christmas day and stephens say a couple of years ago I will be letting the water trickle in the main tap in the house if it goes below about -7/-8 again. Trying to cook christmas dinner that day was not fun...lack of a shower was the least of the problems in fairness. Tough choice...dig up the drive way and lay pipes deeper or let the tap trickle away...I know which I will do.

I suppose this is what is to be expected in Ireland today, look out for yourself and screw everyone else as long as you are okay doesn't matter.

I was without water for 2 weeks after the floods broke the pumping station. So don't get me started on not being without water, after they "fixed" the situation so we had a trickle of water, it took another few weeks of me hounding the council before they finally admitted there was an issue in our area with pressure which they then fixed.

That was a horrible experience let me tell you and as we only have a shower, it is very hard to was in a basin. Then to top it all off after getting it back we had the cold spell, idiots leaving on taps reducing pressure in the system and what do you know, no showers on Christmas day, until the cold spell was over.

The sooner they start charging for water in this country the better, because people don't know how to share resources until you hit them where it hurts in the pocket.

You needing a full pressure shower while others have nothing is not sharing. You are taking the same attitude as myself from the other side. Ideally I none of us would suffer but im not gonna leave my family without water when leaving it trickle may prevent it.

Maybe they will sort the infrastructure when they start charging. Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Tis getting cold, better turn on the tap.

Gotta be at least minus 8...probably closer to minus ten before it even becomes an issue. Probably wont happen all winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Put anti Freeze in the pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

yenom wrote: »
    Yum anti freeze in my tea, tasty :)

Hmmm...someone suggesting putting anti-freeze in water pipes...this thread has just been flagged for possible terrorist activity by the FBI and Dept of Homeland Security in the States :eek:

Yum anti freeze in my tea, tasty :)
    Boil the water like, it's better than having burst pipes and surley you can go a few weeks without drinking it like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

This thread is a strong case against the republic of cork happening . Anti freeze in the constantly running water pipes sure yer in rebel county now boys .
    I think its best we leave it to the boys in the pale to come up with the ideas from now on .

• Advertisement

This thread is a strong case against the republic of cork happening . Anti freeze in the constantly running water pipes sure yer in rebel county now boys .
    I think its best we leave it to the boys in the pale to come up with the ideas from now on .

No, seriously it will work, I've done it last year, it's was fine, it didn't even stain the clothes in the washing machine. We didn't risk having a shower though, went to our cousins but it was worth it because the pipes didn't break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

No, seriously it will work, I've done it last year, it's was fine, it didn't even stain the clothes in the washing machine. We didn't risk having a shower though, went to our cousins but it was worth it because the pipes didn't break.
    Couldnt you of just timed the heating to come on a few times while you were away ? or put some insualtion on your pipes ?

Rather than risking posioning yourselves ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I honestly thought you were taking the piss, why did you anti freeze when alcohol would of done the same thing, with a lot less chance of dying.

I honestly thought you were taking the piss, why did you anti freeze when alcohol would of done the same thing, with a lot less chance of dying.

We didn't know alcohol would of worked, that said it was around Christmas so it likely would of been drank anyway. What type of alcohol? Out of Wine or Lager? I might try that as I was just on the internet looking for anti freeze again but the price seems to of gone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

You needing a full pressure shower while others have nothing is not sharing. You are taking the same attitude as myself from the other side.

I wasn't without water at all, but I got no showers during the cold snap because of the low mains pressure.

Power showers need a minimum pressure to work. t's all or nothing with a power shower, so not a question of not sharing.

You needing a full pressure shower while others have nothing is not sharing. You are taking the same attitude as myself from the other side. Ideally I none of us would suffer but im not gonna leave my family without water when leaving it trickle may prevent it.

Maybe they will sort the infrastructure when they start charging. Ha ha.
    I wasn't without water at all, but I got no showers during the cold snap because of the low mains pressure.

Power showers need a minimum pressure to work. t's all or nothing with a power shower, so not a question of not sharing.

As Bastardo said without pressure it was the case of no shower at all.

If you really want to be sure your family has water anyway, why don't you just bury the pipes. Makes a lot more sense, believe me you don't want to be without water for 2 weeks. At least the ball is in your court, trying to deal with the council with regards water issues, is like talking to a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

remember when they turned off the mains to stop people running water and the main lines froze. cost them alot more in the end.

personally i couldnt care what water i use. im not wasteful with it but untill they make a reasonable attempt to fix the mains. dont take to me about waste.

if they really cared they could put in block metering. much faster to do. another month and they would be done already.

very easy to detect big leaks. if a area spikes, theres a leak. if one area seems to use a abnormal amount of water. hey maybe theres a leak.

but no they couldnt bill ye for that so go for the more expensive option that tells them nothing about the mains pipes

Spindle wrote: »
    As Bastardo said without pressure it was the case of no shower at all.

If you really want to be sure your family has water anyway, why don't you just bury the pipes. Makes a lot more sense, believe me you don't want to be without water for 2 weeks. At least the ball is in your court, trying to deal with the council with regards water issues, is like talking to a brick wall.

As I said ...tough choice :

Let tap connected to mains on very low for the one or two nights every 4 or 5 years (one in my lifetime that I can remember) where the temps hit -10.

OR

Pay someone thousands to dig up the patio, driveway and public footpath as far as the stopcock, rework all the pipes to be buried deeper and then repave the whole thing properly again....with no guarantee that it would actually work.

I am usually careful about wasting water. I don't leave it running while washing up,brushing teeth, washing car, etc, etc so it isn't like I am someone who thinks nothing about the value of water but this is a no brainer really no matter how wrong it is.
    Paying for water won't have any affect on this by the way as I would still do it for the very vary rare time it might be needed.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    remember when they turned off the mains to stop people running water and the main lines froze. cost them alot more in the end.

personally i couldnt care what water i use. im not wasteful with it but untill they make a reasonable attempt to fix the mains. dont take to me about waste.

if they really cared they could put in block metering. much faster to do. another month and they would be done already.

very easy to detect big leaks. if a area spikes, theres a leak. if one area seems to use a abnormal amount of water. hey maybe theres a leak.

but no they couldnt bill ye for that so go for the more expensive option that tells them nothing about the mains pipes
    Right think about what you said . There is huge leaks in the mains . The council turned the water off . The pipes froze . Wouldnt the huge leaks be the same as having a tap on ? I think somebody is doing a bit of makey uppy here.

That isn't what he said. He said they turned off the water to stop people wasting water. Not over a leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Right think about what you said . There is huge leaks in the mains . The council turned the water off . The pipes froze . Wouldnt the huge leaks be the same as having a tap on ? I think somebody is doing a bit of makey uppy here.

it didnt freeze everywhere. and even going by what your saying. if the pipe is leaking 3 miles away pissing water. it still has 3 miles of pipe to be able to freeze up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Leaving your tap running in your home will definitely help to prevent pipes freezing.

Its not the fact the its running that prevents it from freezing, but that your taking the water from a source that has a temperature higher than freezing point.

As I said ...tough choice :

Let tap connected to mains on very low for the one or two nights every 4 or 5 years (one in my lifetime that I can remember) where the temps hit -10.

OR

Pay someone thousands to dig up the patio, driveway and public footpath as far as the stopcock, rework all the pipes to be buried deeper and then repave the whole thing properly again....with no guarantee that it would actually work.

I am usually careful about wasting water. I don't leave it running while washing up,brushing teeth, washing car, etc, etc so it isn't like I am someone who thinks nothing about the value of water but this is a no brainer really no matter how wrong it is.
    Paying for water won't have any affect on this by the way as I would still do it for the very vary rare time it might be needed.

Fair enough, I don't think we will see the likes of that cold spell again for a long time, were the ground temps got so low and the frost penetrated to such a depth.

If it does turn out that the climate has changed and we are going to get more colder Winters though, there will be a lot more pissed off people as the housing stock in Ireland is so poor.

Leaving your tap running in your home will definitely help to prevent pipes freezing.

Its not the fact the its running that prevents it from freezing, but that your taking the water from a source that has a temperature higher than freezing point.

Maybe it is the Anti-freeze we put in the supply here in Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is anyone elses water gone atm? Water's gone here in Deerpark

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Yep, it's out here across the road in Ros Barra too

Theres probably a bit of a shortage with all the taps running all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

My bad lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Spindle wrote: »
    Fair enough, I don't think we will see the likes of that cold spell again for a long time, were the ground temps got so low and the frost penetrated to such a depth.

If it does turn out that the climate has changed and we are going to get more colder Winters though, there will be a lot more pissed off people as the housing stock in Ireland is so poor.

UPDATE TODAY 24 Nov

Just heard Gerald Fleming on Countrywide giving a forecast for the next 10 to 14 days. Apparently, scientifically they can predict a couple of weeks ahead and it looks like we are heading into a cold spell next week and may last for a spell but then it may revert to more milder Atlantic weather sometime early to mid-December.:)

Advertisement