Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

15 mi @ 9:08/mi

Body was really in a 'Yay we're going running' mood this morning, running at 7:30 is the business :D:D:D

7.30 is for wimps.... 6.30 is the business! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

jcsmum wrote: »
    7.30pm is for wimps.... 6.30pm is the business! :cool:

You also need a night out :rolleyes: FYP too. Nutters the pair of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

6.6mi @ 8:53/mi

You know how you felt when you were in school and you had a big exam the next day....thats how I'm feeling about tomorrow. Session day :eek::eek::eek:

6.6mi @ 8:53/mi

You know how you felt when you were in school and you had a big exam the next day....thats how I'm feeling about tomorrow. Session day :eek::eek::eek:

Or going on a school tour - awake all night with nervous excitement! :)

12 mi @ 8:06/mi av

Splits:
    w/u - 9:12

6:48, 7:00, 7:07

7:01, 7:39, 7:37, 7:41*

7:32, 7:28, 8:01

* I did 3/4 of a mile before I realised I have problems counting to 3

:( I was supposed to be running these at 6:55 pace :(

:) Several times I thought about stopping but I kept going. Starting the last 3 was a killer. I looked at my watch and I was struggling to keep 8 min pace and I seriously considered just stopping and walking home. But I made a deal with myself just to try and do MP miles and once I got over that mental barrier the pace picked up the again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

12 mi @ 8:06/mi av

Splits:
    w/u - 9:12

6:48, 7:00, 7:07

7:01, 7:39, 7:37, 7:41*

7:32, 7:28, 8:01

* I did 3/4 of a mile before I realised I have problems counting to 3

:( I was supposed to be running these at 6:55 pace :(

:) Several times I thought about stopping but I kept going. Starting the last 3 was a killer. I looked at my watch and I was struggling to keep 8 min pace and I seriously considered just stopping and walking home. But I made a deal with myself just to try and do MP miles and once I got over that mental barrier the pace picked up the again :)

Those are still good splits CM and look at it this way, you didn't give up when the going got tough! Fair play to you I say :)

ncmc wrote: »
    Those are still good splits CM and look at it this way, you didn't give up when the going got tough! Fair play to you I say :)
    The central governor was defeated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great session this morning! You are flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You didnt stop and give in which shows serious determination, great session, well done.

tang1 wrote: »
    You didnt stop and give in which shows serious determination, great session, well done.
    Thanks B :) I am really pleased about that. I think maybe 6:55 10mile pace is a bit much at the minute. I kinda thought it might be which was why I was so anxious about this session (my resting heart rate was way up this morn) but I said I'd give it a go anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Good running CM. If every session went as easy as the last this would be an easy sport to predict and an easy sport to train for. Not the case. Well done on the HTFU towards the end.

It looks like your first rep took a lot out of you because by the second mile in the second rep your times have slipped quite a bit. It may have been just a bad morning, or you may need to consider a time closer to 7.10. If you were closer to 7.10 that first mile would have been far more comfortable and it may have changed your session completely. I only say this because Waterford isn't that long ago, and in that you were running avg 7.30. 1/2 & 10 mile race doesn't seem that far apart distance wise, and yet you're trying to jump 35secs a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Very impressive, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

How early where you out for the session CM?

guinang wrote: »
    It looks like your first rep took a lot out of you because by the second mile in the second rep your times have slipped quite a bit. It may have been just a bad morning, or you may need to consider a time closer to 7.10. If you were closer to 7.10 that first mile would have been far more comfortable and it may have changed your session completely. I only say this because Waterford isn't that long ago, and in that you were running avg 7.30. 1/2 & 10 mile race doesn't seem that far apart distance wise, and yet you're trying to jump 35secs a mile.
    Ya you're right. I just wanted to see how close I was to 70 min for Dungarvan :D
    dazza21ie wrote: »
    How early where you out for the session CM?
    It was about 9 o clock when I left. The roads were quite slippy in places but that wasn't the reason for the slower splits ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Great running C_M, no wonder the lads are jealous of you!;)
    ...and I am too:mad:

rasher_m wrote: »
    Great running C_M, no wonder the lads are jealous of you!;)
    ...and I am too:mad:
    I don't know whether to laugh hysterically at that, deny it as being outrageous or be very nervous that you're making me into something I'm not :confused:

:D:D:D

I don't know whether to laugh hysterically at that, deny it as being outrageous or be very nervous that you're making me into something I'm not :confused:

:D:D:D

I say go to some public place and laugh histerically...that sounds like fun!
    But failing that just take it as a compliment and enjoy winding up the lads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great session CM, determination shone through there.

4m @ 9:47/mi

Legs seemed to have recovered well after yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hang on a second here.... I haven't dropped into this log for a while and all of a sudden you are training @ 6.55 mpm?!

I'm not saying anything but that's a lance Armstrong type improvement ;)

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Hang on a second here.... I haven't dropped into this log for a while and all of a sudden you are training @ 6.55 mpm?!

Can't wait for CM's interview with Oprah in a few years time, bound to be much more entertaining than Lance's, bet he never has been kicked by a horse or has any chickens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

rasher_m wrote: »
    I say go to some public place and laugh histerically...that sounds like fun!
    But failing that just take it as a compliment and enjoy winding up the lads ;)
    4m @ 9:47/mi

Legs seemed to have recovered well after yesterday :D

Hey there I'm just catching up with your log, looks like your still storming it, your defo going to rock it out in 2013.

I can see where rasher_m is coming from, I'm seeing you as our little group's Rurhann Sheahan, read a piece where it said she kept breaking rules about how things were that she didn't know existed, just because she could.

Anyhow I'm loving talk about early morning runs as that is my time to be out there. And sorry about the chickens (RIP) but thought I'd share a small story/pics that joins these themes up.

On a run 20th Oct the week b4 DCM I met your mate Mr Fox while on a 10 mile "go whereever" run (I just leave the house and do a Forest Gump) that started at 06:43, It was pretty dark (pic1) I was crossing the East Link bridge and there he was scavenging between the road and the water's edge. I got quite close (pic2) with phone and I gotta admit that at the time i thought he was pretty cute as critters go! and then he sauntered away(pic3).

FYI here is the run link on runkeeper - still no watch!
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Walkedit/activity/125995035

Walkedit wrote: »
    Hey there I'm just catching up with your log, looks like your still storming it, your defo going to rock it out in 2013.

I can see where rasher_m is coming from, I'm seeing you as our little group's Rurhann Sheahan, read a piece where it said she kept breaking rules about how things were that she didn't know existed, just because she could.

Anyhow I'm loving talk about early morning runs as that is my time to be out there. And sorry about the chickens (RIP) but thought I'd share a small story/pics that joins these themes up.

On a run 20th Oct the week b4 DCM I met your mate Mr Fox while on a 10 mile "go whereever" run (I just leave the house and do a Forest Gump) that started at 06:43, It was pretty dark (pic1) I was crossing the East Link bridge and there he was scavenging between the road and the water's edge. I got quite close (pic2) with phone and I gotta admit that at the time i thought he was pretty cute as critters go! and then he sauntered away(pic3).

FYI here is the run link on runkeeper - still no watch!
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Walkedit/activity/125995035[/QUOTE]

Cool pic Walked_it
    We even have foxes in Santry as well. I was coming in from the car park and nearly had a stroke when it jumped out of a bush. We've been given a warning to keep the bin door closed at all times cause of this vermon running around and wrecking the place.

Gavlor wrote: »

I haven't got there yet.....:D
    Walkedit wrote: »
    Thanks for your concern re chickens. The last remaining hen was psychologically disturbed for a number of days. She has taken to sleeping in the dog's house now :D Nice pictures.....your fox looks well fed!!

7.4m @ 8:51/mi

Ran home from work. I was so cold in work then I got too warm on the run with my fleece on and now I'm freezing again. Contrary or what :rolleyes:

Don't see your name on the 2013 1,000 mile challenge CM. Get yourself over there quick, your current mileage would have you ahead of boardsies such as Meno and Krusty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

That's a well known fox around Ringsend and Irishtown. Met him down at the eastlink myself a few times and had to buy a new bin because he kept ripping up the recycling bags outside the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Don't see your name on the 2013 1,000 mile challenge CM. Get yourself over there quick, your current mileage would have you ahead of boardsies such as Meno and Krusty!!

I only Update weekly ;)

No running for me this weekend emo16.gif ..... sick on Thursday evening, sick yest, no better today :mad: Stupid immune system :mad:

• Advertisement

No running for me this weekend emo16.gif ..... sick on Thursday evening, sick yest, no better today :mad: Stupid immune system :mad:

A feed of liquor will sort you out! ;)

You poor thing, make sure you take a few days off, rest up and look after yourself. You don't want to rush back and maybe leave yourself sick for the race this weekend. It might be a blessing in disguise if you have really fresh legs going into the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What NCMC said...

Yeah dont be rushing back K, you have way to much training invested. Come back fit & strong when you know your over it. Get well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yeah dont be rushing back K, you have way to much training invested. Come back fit & strong when you know your over it. Get well.

And if you haven't quite gotten back up to speed for next Sunday, all the better for the rest of us! ;)

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles
    Tues - I'm fairly confident this will be 0 miles too :D

On the plus side (as one kind soul pointed out to me) it could never be as bad as manflu so its nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles

On the plus side (as one kind soul pointed out to me) it could never be as bad as manflu so its nothing to worry about :rolleyes:
    You must be going stir crazy! Hopefully you'll be back hitting the pavement sooner rather than later.

Obviously what you have isn't as bad as man flu, us delicate women could never cope with anything as painful as that :rolleyes:

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles

I need to use the 'copy and paste button'
    They say rest is good K!

ncmc wrote: »
    us delicate women could never cope with anything as painful as that

Agreed! :)

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles

At least you're consistent..............

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles

Boo, how are you supposed to entertain us when you have no runs to report back on :(

Get well soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fri - 0 miles
    Sat - 0 miles
    Sun - 0 miles
    Mon - 0 miles

Has a familiar look about it...hope you are back soon CM.

You back in the saddle yet, things have been awfully boring past few days without your posts!!!

CM - just post about your day, just general stuff - make stuff up if you have too :-)

You back in the saddle yet, things have been awfully boring past few days without your posts!!!
    CM - just post about your day, just general stuff - make stuff up if you have too :-)
    :D:D:D Tomorrow boys, tomorrow I am hopeful of making a Lazarus like recovery in time for Dungarvan :D:D:D

For everyone who has missed my animal stories......here is........ The Donkey Story - the castration that never was....

The Cast:
    Me - the vet
    Amy - the nurse
    The Donkey - untrained and uncooperative (also unwillingly to part wth the family jewels)
    The Owner - elderly man with a strong body odour
    The Help - also elderly and frail

Picture the scene:
    I'm reluctantly dispatched to castrate a donkey on a cold October's day. Enthusiasm is at an all time low. I don't like donkeys and I don't like donkey owners. I've never castrated a donkey but I know two things. 1) Donkeys bleed 2) Donkeys kick and invariably are on target :( The only thing that makes the job a little bit bearable is that I get to bring Amy with me.

So we arrive at the farm. I say farm in a loose sense of the word. More cottage at the side of the road really and are greeted by the owner and the help. I take one look at them and at the donkey I can see grazing at the bottom of the field and I know my fate.....I'm going to be here for hours :(

So Amy and I are setting the stuff up and the two men head off to catch the donkey. Unfortunately the donkey has decided he is not for catching today and takes off in the opposite direction with the two lads hot on his heels. Round and round the field they go. Its only a tiny field but there's no way they're going to catch the donkey and I'm getting pretty annoyed. Like how difficult would it have been to have the bugger caught before I arrive? This goes on for 5 maybe 10 minutes. Amy and I are just standing watching. Its like something from a stupid comedy show. Next minute the owner comes past us. Red as a beetroot and hardly able to breathe. 'I really shouldn't be doing this' he says ' I only had a triple heart bypass last week'. I'm just looking at Amy thinking is he for real and next thing he collapses about 10 feet from us. So we run over. He's blue in the face and not moving. I check his pulse. There's no pulse. Amy rings 999. The lady on the phone is giving her instructions. I start doing chest compressions. I say to Amy tell her there's no pulse. Don't worry about that the lady says. Just keep doing chest compressions. The owner starts regurgitating stomach contents. Amy is telling me the 999 lady says he needs mouth to mouth. I'm looking at bilious semi digested food. Then I remember the help and he is summoned over and instructed to perform mouth to mouth (which to his credit he does) while I continue the chest compressions. I know the poor man is dead though but we keep doing it, in spite of the regurgitated food which erupt everytime I compress the chest, until the ambulance arrives and pronouces him dead. 'Is there any next of kin' the ambulance man asks, and Amy and I are sent off to knock on the door of the house. a little old lady answers it. She doesn't seem quite the full shilling but we discover the owner was her brother and we break it to her as gently as possible that unfortunately he is now dead. She immediately grabs a hold of my hand and with a look of deep disappointment on her face says to me

"Ah NO.....What is going to happen to the donkey"

THE END

P.S Several months later there were unconfirmed reports the donkey had been rescued by the Donkey Sanctuary

That is so funny, all i can think of is the Benny Hill theme tune with the boys running after the donkey!

That is so funny, all i can think of is the Benny Hill theme tune with the boys running after the donkey!

You've no idea how much we laughed and for months after as well

Brilliant! Maybe don't run for a while longer and share more of these with us!

You've no idea how much we laughed and for months after as well

Did you miss the part where the man died?:(

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Did you miss the part where the man died?:(
    I knew you'd be one of those people ;)

:eek::eek::eek: Are we reading the same story! That tale gave me nightmares! Especially this bit
    The owner starts regurgitating stomach contents. Amy is telling me the 999 lady says he needs mouth to mouth. I'm looking at bilious semi digested food. Then I remember the help and he is summoned over and instructed to perform mouth to mouth (which to his credit he does) while I continue the chest compressions. I know the poor man is dead though but we keep doing it, in spite of the regurgitated food which erupt everytime I compress the chest, until the ambulance arrives and pronouces him dead.
    It takes a lot to put me off my food, but this has suceeded in deterring me from the caramel slice I brought in to work :(:(:(

Well put me off my food for about 5 mins... takes more than that to make me waste a caramel slice ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement