Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I knew you'd be one of those people ;)

We need a 'Feck off' option alongside 'Thank' here.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr Slow wrote: »
    We need a 'Feck off' option alongside 'Thank' here.:P
    You'd only wear it out on my log :p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

:D:D:D

"Ah NO.....What is going to happen to the donkey"

THE END

P.S Several months later there were unconfirmed reports the donkey had been rescued by the Donkey Sanctuary
    I only give my advice to well paying clients ;)

Cracking story - but did you get paid?

eeyore.gif

Mr Donkey was quoted as saying while Juggling his balls .. listen you know you want to .

Good luck in Dungarvan but do mind yourself ....

Haha.....brilliant Walkedit :D

No I didn't get paid......thought it might be tactless to bring up money under the circumstances :D:D:D

4m @ 9:01/mi

Legs felt like jelly for the first mile like they could hardly remember what they were supposed to do :( Not sure about Dungarvan really. Throat was a bit sore when I got home. I guess I'll see how get on tomorrow with the strides :D

Haha.....brilliant Walkedit :D

No I didn't get paid......thought it might be tactless to bring up money under the circumstances :D:D:D

A bit like his sis and her concern about Neddy -but shock will do that for ye!

Who knew despite protestations otherwise - you are a sensitive soul
    .. trapped inside an almost unstoppable HTFU package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4m @ 9:01/mi

Legs felt like jelly for the first mile like they could hardly remember what they were supposed to do :( Not sure about Dungarvan really. Throat was a bit sore when I got home. I guess I'll see how get on tomorrow with the strides :D

First run back after a break is always like that but you'll shake the rust quickly.

The gods conspire against me. Torrential rain when I get home from work means all roads lead to the treadmill

5m in 48 min
    (incl one set of pyramid strides @ 7:15/mi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The gods conspire against me. Torrential rain when I get home from work means all roads lead to the treadmill

5m in 48 min
    (incl one set of pyramid strides @ 7:15/mi)

Treadmill:eek::eek::eek:...i thought treadmills were only for wusses:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Treadmill:eek::eek::eek:...i thought treadmills were only for wusses:rolleyes:
    I'm only following your good example Anne ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

How are ya feeling for Dungarvan K?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    How are ya feeling for Dungarvan K?
    Feeling much more confident now C after that run today. Planning to head out at 7:15 pace and see what happens. How bout you?

Excellent! All gung-ho here - scuba gear ready in case the weather doesn't pick up!

I woke up this morning and prayed that a typhoon or something had taken out the Dungarvan 10 course but alas my prayers went unanswered. Checked my heart rate. Its been creeping up again since I started back running on Friday. If it was over 55 I was going straight back to bed. 48. F**k. I'm heading to Dungarvan

I never even opened the envelope with my number when it came during the week. Big mistake. I might have realised if I read the letter that it started at 1 o clock not 12 o clock. So thicko here had done my 1 mile w/u with a couple of strides and was all back at the car ready to go at 11.45 Rom was parked in front of me and he's like you know you're way too early. D'oh.

Anyway get to the start and meet up with Dilbert75 (who has kindly volunteered to be my personal pacer) Blockic and Gavlor (briefly). We set off and its fairly congested but I'm happy enough with the pace for the first couple of miles 7:05,7:22. We meet Docjewel but don't stay with him too long. Dilbert75 pushes on and I'm following even though its a bit of an effort but we're back on target pace. 3rd mile 7:12 I'm not feeling great anymore but I'm still just about holding on to Dilbert. Its disappointing for me though that I'm having to work just as hard on the downhills as on the flat. I'm not getting any break at all. Dilbert75 as usual is his brilliant pacer self trying to encourage me but after the fourth mile 7:17 I know its curtains for me and I drop back off him. Fifth mile is slow 8:03 and people are passing me all the time. The 75 min pacers pass. I'm finding it hard to even care too much but I keep with them for a while. 6th and 7th mile 7:43, 7:47 Meet up with Docjewel again around now. My legs feel like someone has replaced my runners with hobnail boots. Every step is an effort. My ass doesn't even feel like it belongs to me anymore and I'm having to drag it after me. Can't stay with Docjewel. More people pass me. I'm going slower and slower Mile 8 7:59 Its hard to explain how pathetic I feel but there's people passing me in the last two miles (8:20, 8:25) who sound like they're breathing they're last breath and I'm not even blowing and I can't run any faster. I can't run any faster when I know there's only half a mile left and I can't run any faster when I see the finish line. In fact I appear to have subconsciously slowed down. Last little bit 9:51

I should have got a spot prize - I was probably the only person who ran today who didn't manage to pass a single other runner. Finish time by my watch was 1:17:31 It is a pb I guess although it feels more like a pw (personal worst)

Edit to say it was lovely to meet all the boardsies as usual. Dilbert, Gavlor, Blockic, Docjewel, Rom and Emer( who I had a quick chat to in the ladies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

To be honest i wouldn't read to much into today. Your coming off an illness and it was going to affect your performance in someway. You know your head & shoulders quicker than the time you ran. Dont be to hard on yourself.

• Advertisement

My ass doesn't even feel like it belongs to me anymore and I'm having to drag it after me.

That'd be a JLO moment!;)

Fair play on the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

There really aren't too many more demoralizing scenarios in a race than when the pacers pass you like an express train & leave you for dead.
    If that was a 5 mile race today you'd probably have gotten away it but the illness obviously knocked a lot more out of you & the 10 miles was pushing the limits today.
    Take it easy for another few days & ease yourself slowly back into the distances.
    The year is long & you have bigger fish to fry.

On a personal note it'll probably be the only time I'll ever finish ahead of you in a race;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

docjewel wrote: »
    There really aren't too many more demoralizing scenarios in a race than when the pacers pass yvsou like an express train & leave you for dead.
    If that was a 5 mile race today you'd probably have gotten away it but the illness obviously knocked a lot more out of you & the 10 miles was pushing the limits today.
    Take it easy for another few days & ease yourself slowly back into the distances.
    The year is long & you have bigger fish to fry.

On a personal note it'll probably be the only time I'll ever finish ahead of you in a race;-)

She did run a half marathon though, if you include the warm up! Your moral victory is a hollow one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

^^^^What Tang said^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry you'd such a tough race CM, but try not to get demoralised, it was always going to be tough on the back of your illness. That's still a really good time! I'd be happy enough with that in the full of my health!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Still a great performance CM considering your recent illness. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done missus. Thats a great time considering the form you were in.

Can't wait to see the time you get when you are fit and well...it'll be savage:).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Gavlor wrote: »
    She did run a half marathon though, if you include the warm up! Your moral victory is a hollow one ;)
    ^^^^What Tang said^^^^^

:DHey I did a 2.5 mile warm but CM had an extra hour to recover;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Given the circumstances that's actually fantastic running CM. I'm seriously impressed.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. In fairness there was always a risk it might happen when I came back so soon :o

Tang1 - you're way too sound to be a garda. The last garda I met pulled me over cause my license plate was so dirty. I'm in the middle of nowhere so I just looked at him and said what d'ya want me to do? Spit on it? He didn't find that funny. At all. And he made me get cotton wool from the van spit on it and clean the license plate :D

Mr Slow - its a work in progress because hey if you can't run fast you might as well run sexy ;)

Docjewel - you ran a great race today. Really well paced. A 3:30 marathon will be no bother to you on that evidence

Gavlor - back to school with you my dear. 2+10 does not a half marathon make :p

Runningking - great running in Raheny. Well done :D

ncmc - you're too modest ;)

Redrunner - hope your little lad enjoyed his day

upthe19th - I missed my second pacer.....its the only thing that makes sense :)

PM - you're a gent. Thanks :D

dilbert75 - hope the little leaguer had a good time. Thanks for the pacing

Hey CM - everyone else has said it already so I won't labour the point. You did yourself and your Boards shirt proud today. You got out of bed (very early, as it turned out :D) after a week of not feeling well, you ground out a PB when you didn't feel like it. You know (actually we all know) you've even more in you when you're on form.

Thanks for the company while we were running together - I really missed the company when I was running by myself. Then by the time I got back from the car and into the food queue yourself and Blockic were nowhere to be seen. Nevermind. Catch you next time.

Mr Slow - its a work in progress because hey if you can't run fast you might as well run sexy ;)

Who you tellin?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Agree with everything said above.

Let's be honest here, we all know and you know yourself that you would blow that time out of the water if you had a bit better preperation in terms of not being sick! Any other day and you would be looking at sub70.

So no point in worrying about it at all, just set your sights on rectifying it in Bohermeen in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Hey CM - everyone else has said it already so I won't labour the point. You did yourself and your Boards shirt proud today. You got out of bed (very early, as it turned out :D) after a week of not feeling well, you ground out a PB when you didn't feel like it. You know (actually we all know) you've even more in you when you're on form.

Thanks for the company while we were running together - I really missed the company when I was running by myself. Then by the time I got back from the car and into the food queue yourself and Blockic were nowhere to be seen. Nevermind. Catch you next time.

Should one read much into this??

Great run given the circumstances, make sure you have yourself fully recovered before pushing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dazza21ie wrote: »

Great run given the circumstances, make sure you have yourself fully recovered before pushing it again.

....I've heard rumours

• Advertisement

Oooooohhhh! Is it too early to buy a hat :D:D:D

Now I don't know if we're talking about running or something else.... ;)

ncmc wrote: »

Now I don't know if we're talking about running or something else.... ;)
    Its a mystery to me too :confused:

Its a mystery to me too :confused:

Jeez it looks like I'm gonna have to run my posts past Legal in future...:o

^^^^What Tang said^^^^^

+1

Hey CM - did you see we made a couple of photos (before either of us starting breathing like the ould boy with the donkey...)

Hey CM - did you see we made a couple of photos (before either of us starting breathing like the ould boy with the donkey...)

Nah I missed that D.....I'm not really a picture person :o

Well C_M looks like Dilbert is trying to compare you with the old boy here...I say you whip his sorry ass (pardon the pun) next time you're racing.

5.5m @ 9:23/mi

Think that pace is about right but not sure because I thought I turned the watch on but when I looked at it after half a mile the gps wasn't working. Delighted with this run though. Delighted I didn't have to do it on the treadmill and delighted the pain in my ass was gone :D:D:D

7m @ 9:11/mi

Felt a bit faint for the last couple of miles. Not too sure what that's about. P1ssed off now cause I thought I was over whatever I had :(

• Advertisement

Felt a bit faint for the last couple of miles. Not too sure what that's about. P1ssed off now cause I thought I was over whatever I had :(

Sometimes happens me when I'm particularly tired...

Hope you're eating well after your virus and drinking loads of water. If you feel faint before you've fully recovered then I'd say to take it easy until you're 100%. I actually did faint after a virus when I was running and ended up with 10 stitches in my nose and a banjaxed knee for 8 months. Not trying to scare ye, just be less stupid than me :D

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hope you're eating well after your virus and drinking loads of water. If you feel faint before you've fully recovered then I'd say to take it easy until you're 100%. I actually did faint after a virus when I was running and ended up with 10 stitches in my nose and a banjaxed knee for 8 months. Not trying to scare ye, just be less stupid than me :D
    Thanks A :D I am taking it easy, I swear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks A :D I am taking it easy, I swear ;)

Yeah, and i just seen a pig flying!!

I actually did faint after a virus when I was running and ended up with 10 stitches in my nose and a banjaxed knee for 8 months. Not trying to scare ye, just be less stupid than me :D

And the winner is....;)

And the winner is....;)

Is this the best gob****e award :o

• Advertisement

8m @ 9:08/mi

Month|Wk|Miles|No Runs
    Jan|1|31.3|6
    Jan|2|45.0|6
    Jan|3|30.0|4
    Jan|4|23.6|4
    Jan|5|20.5|3

Total|Jan|150.4|23

And the winner is....;)
    Hmmm......cryptic :confused:
    Surely not :eek: On my log....:eek:

NO NO NO NO absolutely not, perish the thought, well actually yes, yes it is!;)

4m @ 9:32

The electricity went off when I was having a shower so I had to stick my head under the cold water tap to wash the suds out of my hair :( T'was chilly to say the least :eek:

4m @ 9:32

The electricity went off when I was having a shower so I had to stick my head under the cold water tap to wash the suds out of my hair :( T'was chilly to say the least :eek:
    Eh, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick with the ice baths advice...

• Advertisement
Advertisement