Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Eh... I think you can...
    I can't be trusted so I refer you to Raycun's post :D

They just brought out the Forerunner 10, for the cheap end of the market. If you're just running, don't want to set up interval sessions, and don't want a HRM, it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

They just brought out the Forerunner 10, for the cheap end of the market. If you're just running, don't want to set up interval sessions, and don't want a HRM, it's fine.

Hmm - but isn't there a walk-run function on it? If so, can you not do those at the paces you choose, rather than actual walk and run? It might not be as sophisticated as some more expensive watches but it might do the job.

Hmm - but isn't there a walk-run function on it? If so, can you not do those at the paces you choose, rather than actual walk and run? It might not be as sophisticated as some more expensive watches but it might do the job.
    Never tried tbh.

I'm technologically challenged :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running tonight, you're flying!

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of pictures in your log though.... Your posts in the novices thread could be perceived to be false advertising!

RTFM usually works ;)

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great running tonight, you're flying!

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of pictures in your log though.... Your posts in the novices thread could be perceived to be false advertising!
    I have a cool picture for you but I took it with my camera and I'm still trying to figure out how to post it on boards :o
    RTFM usually works ;)
    :eek: If that means what I think it means :eek:

The manual that came with it is not very explicit. Also I threw away the English version and my leaving cert French is a bit scratchy to say the least :P

The manual that came with it is not very explicit. Also I threw away the English version and my leaving cert French is a bit scratchy to say the least :P

Here ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done K, nice session yesterday (even if you felt it was all over the place!)

In this edition of The Farming Times , we look at how life has changed for THE BLACK HEN, the sole survivor of the infamous January massacre.....

Following the catastrophic events on the night of January 9th 2013, the black hen was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and retired to the dog's house where she lives to this day. She tells of the range of emotions that affected her - grief for her lost friends, anger that the nasty fox will never be brought to justice, guilt because she was the only survivor and finally acceptance and her return to her job as chief egg layer. She has now entered a new stage in her life and is on an adventure to become..........THE HEN THAT WOULD BE LAMB..........

5608834040_ca8f8dbac9_m.jpg8493923391_7fdefa562e_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

In this edition of The Farming Times , we look at how life has changed for THE BLACK HEN, the sole survivor of the infamous January massacre.....

Following the catastrophic events on the night of January 9th 2013, the black hen was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and retired to the dog's house where she lives to this day. She tells of the range of emotions that affected her - grief for her lost friends, anger that the nasty fox will never be brought to justice, guilt because she was the only survivor and finally acceptance and her return to her job as chief egg layer. She has now entered a new stage in her life and is on an adventure to become..........THE HEN THAT WOULD BE LAMB..........

5608834040_ca8f8dbac9_m.jpg8493923391_7fdefa562e_m.jpg

How does she feel about you given that ultimately two of her bessies died at your hands?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    How does she feel about you given that ultimately two of her bessies died at your hands?
    That information is only disclosed on a need to know basis ;)

A.M: 3m @ 10:12

P.M: 4m @ 10:02

Happy legs, happy days :D

A.M: 3m @ 10:12

P.M: 4m @ 10:02

Happy legs, happy days :D

How do you find the split runs CM? Is it by choice or by necessity that you do them?

How do you find the split runs CM? Is it by choice or by necessity that you do them?
    I find them grand C - they were both at recovery pace ;)

I wanted an easy day today cause I'm doing 20 tomorrow and I wasn't working yesterday so it suited really well :D

I find them grand C - they were both at recovery pace ;)

I wanted an easy day today cause I'm doing 20 tomorrow and I wasn't working yesterday so it suited really well :D

20 already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fame!
    On the 305 you can set up defined interval sessions - eg, warm up for 2 miles then do 8 x 600m with a 2 minute rest in between, followed by 2 x 400m with 60 seconds rest, followed by a 2 mile warmdown. The watch will beep to tell you when to start each run or recovery.
    On the FR10, you can't programme in the session, but you might be able to use the lap button or run/walk button (I don't have one) to record the session as you do it, so later on you can see you did x pace for the 600s and y pace for the 400s.

20 already?
    Ya cause only 10 weeks to go and next week is an easy week with the HM on Sunday :D

4m @ 8:36

It's cold out emo62.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

4m @ 8:36

It's cold out emo62.gif

Run faster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

CM, I’ve just been reading about how weight loss can affect your running pace. Some articles I read said that for every lb lost, you could lose up to 2 seconds off your per mile pace. So if someone lost 10lbs, they theoretically cut their pace by 20 seconds! Plus then there’s the advantage of less injury if there is less pace pounding down on your joints.

I remember a couple of weeks back, you said you had lost 3 or 4 kgs, and I’m just wondering if you think this has helped your pace much?

I think I’m the only person in history that actually put on weight training for a marathon :pac: I find running makes me hungry and I just use the exercise as an excuse to eat all round me :o

• Advertisement

My 2c worth - I've shed about 12kg in the last 12 months. If you handed me a backpack weighing 12kg now, I'm pretty sure it'd slow me down quite a bit.

ncmc wrote: »
    I remember a couple of weeks back, you said you had lost 3 or 4 kgs, and I’m just wondering if you think this has helped your pace much?

I think I’m the only person in history that actually put on weight training for a marathon :pac: I find running makes me hungry and I just use the exercise as an excuse to eat all round me :o
    TBH I don't know. I think consistent training is of more significance. When I weighed myself back then it was after a long run so it was definitely cheating because previous to that I'd weighed myself in the evening :o I don't weigh myself very often because it either depresses me or it makes me think I can eat like a pig :D

CM, I’ve just been reading about how weight loss can affect your running pace. Some articles I read said that for every lb lost, you could lose up to 2 seconds off your per mile pace. So if someone lost 10lbs, they theoretically cut their pace by 20 seconds! Plus then there’s the advantage of less injury if there is less pace pounding down on your joints.

It depends on what 'weight' is actually lost.

If its fat, you'll speed up. If it's muscle mass, you'll slow down slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you are carrying lots of excess weigh then it will obviously be an advantage to lose it.
    Anytime I have made an effort to lose weight while running I have ended up feeling weak and run down.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are carrying lots of excess weigh then it will obviously be an advantage to lose it.
    Anytime I have made an effort to lose weight while running I have ended up feeling weak and run down.
    Ya thats true. When the racehorses get near race fitness they tend to go off their feed. It can be really hard to keep condition on them and you have to balance working them hard enough to get them fit and keeping them strong and healthy.

That's the thing isn't it, trying to lose weight by still maintaining muscle tone and keeping your energy levels up is easier said than done.

Dilbert... 12kg weight loss? That is incredible. What's that in old money? About two stone? No wonder you're getting faster and faster! Think of how easier it is on your joints too.

Yeah when I started I was knocking on the door of 84kg, 23% body fat, resting HR 70+. I was just over the thresholds for being overweight and having excess fat. Now just over 72kg, around 15% body fat, resting HR 49 and comfortably inside the healthy ranges for BMI and body fat. Who'd have guessed I'd get healthier as I got older?

Ok il volunteer to be the boards guinea pig so we can get some science behind this. If you all send on a couple of grand towards the liposuction will get nice round 10 pounds a nice round 20 pounds out. Give it a test maybe a 5k before and after a see what the difference is. PM me for the bank details so:D

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Ok il volunteer to be the boards guinea pig so we can get some science behind this. If you all send on a couple of grand towards the liposuction will get nice round 10 pounds a nice round 20 pounds out. Give it a test maybe a 5k before and after a see what the difference is. PM me for the bank details so:D

Are you a member of the Nigerian royal family??

If so I sent you my account number, visa details and ATM pin last week. I'm still waiting in the 2.6million us dollars.

• Advertisement

20m @ 8:46

Much the same as last week except colder and a bit longer :cool:

I saved 2 baby mice yesterday. They had gone into one of the horses' feed pots and they couldn't get out because its deep and the sides are smooth. I didn't know they were in there so I threw a whole pile of feed on top of them. The horse started freaking out though because he couldn't eat his breakfast so I had to airlift them to safety :D

Flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Flying!

+1 and you're a mouse-saviour too, is there no end to your talents?

20 miles already! Well done and that's a really good pace to maintain on a cold morning!

Much the same as last week except colder and a bit longer :cool:

I saved 2 baby mice yesterday. They had gone into one of the horses' feed pots and they couldn't get out because its deep and the sides are smooth. I didn't know they were in there so I threw a whole pile of feed on top of them. The horse started freaking out though because he couldn't eat his breakfast so I had to airlift them to safety :D

Try giving them the chocolate variety next time, they are much nicer!

That's impressive running by the way. Looking good for limerick.

Monday:

An unpleasant start to the week - RHR 60 ..... that's 14 beats more than my average. Uh oh :eek: I don't feel sick. What's going on?? I've been recording my RHR consistently since Jan and it never shoots up that high without a reason :mad:

I went for a run anyway. I was a bit tired but Sunday was busy so not unexpected. 5m @ 9:46

The rest of the day I go over and over in my head what I did last week, what I did on Sunday etc etc and then it dawns on me that maybe the tooth infection that I have been conveniently forgetting about for the last few days, might have something to do with it :rolleyes: Its not really a tooth its the root canal but there's no nerve there so it doesn't hurt unless I rub my nose too hard. I have a prescription for antibiotics but I'm not taking antibiotics this week so Plan B=anti-inflammatories and hope that it will keep the infection under control till next week

Tuesday:

RHR 50. Phew so far so good. I did 7m this morning @ 9:35 with 6 hill sprints* included. I'm keeping all the runs short and slow this week. New target for Bohermeen - 1:34:50. That's about 7:15 pace which I failed to maintain in Dungarvan but I think I'm a good bit stronger (and healthier ;)) now so I should be capable of it.....she says crossing her fingers and toes :D:D

*I use the word sprint loosely :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Monday:

Tuesday:

RHR 50. Phew so far so good. I did 7m this morning @ 9:35 with 6 hill sprints* included. I'm keeping all the runs short and slow this week. New target for Bohermeen - 1:34:50. That's about 7:15 pace which I failed to maintain in Dungarvan but I think I'm a good bit stronger (and healthier ;)) now so I should be capable of it.....she says crossing her fingers and toes :D:D

*I use the word sprint loosely :rolleyes:

Maybe skip the 2 hour warm up and save your energy for the 13.1 miles @ 7.15 pace! A mile warm up will be more than enough

Gavlor wrote: »
    Maybe skip the 2 hour warm up and save your energy for the 13.1 miles @ 7.15 pace! A mile warm up will be more than enough
    Thanks....you're so kind :p

Best of luck with Bohermeen CM, at the rate you're going, you'll do your 13.1 faster than I do my 10! Do be careful with the tooth infection though, those things can turn nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with Bohermeen CM, at the rate you're going, you'll do your 13.1 faster than I do my 10! Do be careful with the tooth infection though, those things can turn nasty.

+1, go burn it up Sunday. Your owed one from Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hey CM, just out of curiosity, why no anti-biotics this week even when you have an infection. Do they adversely affect running performance or are you trying to avoid WADA in case you are on the rostrum at the weekend:)

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hey CM, just out of curiosity, why no anti-biotics this week even when you have an infection. Do they adversely affect running performance or are you trying to avoid WADA in case you are on the rostrum at the weekend:)
    I think antibiotics would flatten you when you're racing. I'll take them next week - it's an easy week anyway so it won't matter if I'm not feeling 100% ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hope you're feeling better K, looking forward to seeing you again on Sunday

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hope you're feeling better K, looking forward to seeing you again on Sunday
    Thanks MS. Feeling great today :D

Can't wait for Sunday (I'll bring my autograph book ;))

7m @ 8:36

My legs bounced back into life today :D

5m @ 8:38

incl 10 x 100m strides

Oooh it's March......time for a table :D

MTH|TOTAL
    JAN|150.5
    FEB|205
    TYD|355.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

That is some really impressive mileage. Incredible to think you could exceed 1000 miles by end of May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck for Sunday, you'll fly it!! see you there. Come back out and cheer the rest of us on (well i'll still be running) after you've had your soup and Sambos;):D

The start is half mile away from the clubhouse so theres your warmup after a few laps on the "track" of course!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck for Sunday, you'll fly it!! see you there. Come back out and cheer the rest of us on (well i'll still be running) after you've had your soup and Sambos;):D

The start is half mile away from the clubhouse so theres your warmup after a few laps on the "track" of course!!!
    Thanks Anne really looking forward to seeing everyone :D

Thats the warmup sorted so :D

One of our horses is racing in Leopardstown at 2.10 so the cool down will be a sprint to the bookies ;)

Oooh it's March......time for a table :D

MTH|TOTAL
    JAN|150.5
    FEB|205
    TYD|355.5

Jebus wept - that's something like 570km - 100km more than me and I've run as much in 8 weeks as I did in probably 6 months last year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement