Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Exciting report, thanks very much for sharing your experience. Superb performance, and outstanding result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb result and great report - really enjoyed reading it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great report. Not that many happy ever afters from GLR so it really is quite an achievement. Very entertaining piece about hunting people down - I had a little chuckle. By the way, that pacer sounds like the fricking man!!! Ask him to pace 3.15 for DCM this year if you get to speak with him again ;)

And very well done on the inches....all 1,660,032 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

guinang wrote: »
    Great report. Not that many happy ever afters from GLR so it really is quite an achievement. Very entertaining piece about hunting people down - I had a little chuckle. By the way, that pacer sounds like the fricking man!!! Ask him to pace 3.15 for DCM this year if you get to speak with him again ;)

And very well done on the inches....all 1,660,032 of them
    The two pacers were absolute stars. I couldn't speak highly enough about them. It was John who started the "hunt her down" thing and you had to hear it in the Cork accent. It was absolutely priceless :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super stuff career_move. Looking forward to reading what times you can run over the next few years. More great things await. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I almost feel bad for the runners you hunted down. They should have run with the pacers, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Grellan

Great report Kate and a very gutsy performance. Well done again. A small request? Can I post your race report on my blog - solorun.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Grellan - didn't get a chance to thank yourself and John for your pacing. I was with you both most of the way round and the pace was very consistent and the time cushion calls were very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Grellan

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Grellan - didn't get a chance to thank yourself and John for your pacing. I was with you both most of the way round and the pace was very consistent and the time cushion calls were very welcome.

Any time Dilbert75. It's what's makes it all worthwhile. Great buzz in helping others achieve their goals. That last mile with Kate was edge of the seat stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

jeez CM , you've really hit these training logs with a bang. vivid race report!
    it wasn't an easy day to do marathon & the last few miles were tough.
    great thing to come, will watch this space..

Grellan wrote: »
    Great report Kate and a very gutsy performance. Well done again. A small request? Can I post your race report on my blog - solorun.blogspot.com
    Definitely do....that'd be cool :D

Edit to say I did it for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Fantastic run Kate, epic stuff. Sorry we didn't get to catch up properly but us ould fellas need a seat when a sippin on the black stuff. You're only getting started, I can't see that 3:28 lasting long. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Wow C_M what an amazing race you ran! Us novices are certainly in great hands:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fantastic running career_move! You sure deserved that brilliant pb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

wow, wow, wow! Absolutely delighted for you K! It was a tough ole day for some of our pacees with the heat and I was thinking if anyone would put in a gritty & determined performance it would be you!
    I'm still thinking of your scary Kclub voice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Kate, a fantastic race and report. You deserved that great PB with all the great training and theres more to come off that no doubt...you can hunt down the next PB now;)

Thanks to everyone for all the lovely comments :D I really appreciate them!

"Praise from the praiseworthy is high praise indeed"

I think when I'm old and frail and I need a walking stick to get around, in my head, I'll still be running that last mile in Limerick. It makes it even more special to be able to share the experience with all you guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Just to echo everyone else here - brilliant report and sounds like you really enjoyed your day. Well done and bask in it for a good while at least. You worked bloody hard for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Congratulations CM. I'm really impressed that you managed all that training with the right result at the end so soon after your first marathon. I did DCM for the first time also in 2012 and just couldn't face launching into all that training again so soon. And if I had done, I sure wouldn't have gotten a 29 minute PB. Really well done.

So what's next?!

Mulberry wrote: »
    Congratulations CM. I'm really impressed that you managed all that training with the right result at the end so soon after your first marathon. I did DCM for the first time also in 2012 and just couldn't face launching into all that training again so soon. And if I had done, I sure wouldn't have gotten a 29 minute PB. Really well done.

So what's next?!
    Thanks Mulberry :D I really enjoy the training so it was no great hardship and then I was lucky everything went so well on the day!

Next up ..... I gotta get my hair cut.
    I didn't want to do it before Limerick in case the hairdresser butchered my fringe but it should be safe enough now ;)

Oh and I entered the 50k in Portumna on Jun 15th this morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Thanks Mulberry :D I really enjoy the training so it was no great hardship and then I was lucky everything went so well on the day!

Next up ..... I gotta get my hair cut.
    I didn't want to do it before Limerick in case the hairdresser butchered my fringe but it should be safe enough now ;)

Oh and I entered the 100k in Portumna on Jun 15th this morning :D

FYP :D

Oh and I entered the 50k in Portumna on Jun 15th this morning :D

Sure what else would you do?

Seriously though - what's the consensus on running long-distance events this close together?

dazza21ie wrote: »
    FYP :D
    Haha no frigging way will I ever run 100k :eek: 50 is as far as I'm going and only for the craic and cause Portumna is only 40 min away :D

Sure what else would you do?

Seriously though - what's the consensus on running long-distance events this close together?
    I have nearly 6 weeks and I won't be racing it as such so I think it should be ok :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have nearly 6 weeks and I won't be racing it as such so I think it should be ok :confused:

it'll only be 15% of that weeks running anyway!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    it'll only be 15% of that weeks running anyway!!

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Haha no frigging way will I ever run 100k :eek:

You know you want too. Not as bad as it sounds. :)

Aimman wrote: »
    You know you want too. Not as bad as it sounds. :)
    Is that the devil in my ear??? :P

Huh?

as in she'll be doing savage mileage at that stage anyway?!

How many brain cells did you kill on sunday :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Is that the devil in my ear??? :P

Of course, we're always looking to drag volunteers into the next dimension of running :cool:

• Advertisement

How many brain cells did you kill on sunday :P

Not nearly as many as you, I'd be happy to bet. ;)

as in she'll be doing savage mileage at that stage anyway?!
    Sure I have to burn the calories somehow :D
    Aimman wrote: »
    Of course, we're always looking to drag volunteers into the next dimension of running :cool:
    Note to self.....stay away from Aimman ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Bit late, but congrats on the Limerick run. Great finish in particular - that central governor has learned its lesson !

Time for an update:

Had a bit of post marathon depression/ running withdrawal going on. Also the horses were running like yaks which didn't improve my mood any :D

Fri 10th:

2m @ 10:38

Sun 12th:

6m @ 9:36

Mon: 13th

2m @ 10:08

Tues 14th

35 min on crosstrainer. Going to do some core work later as well

This is to illustrate why I hate cameras so much. I remember this exact moment. It was on the bridge before O Connell street and I could feel my face contorting and I'm like Kate feck sake sort your face out. But it was too late :o Didn't realise John was so near me at that stage either:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

get your groove on kiddo!!

(am I hipster?)

get your groove on kiddo!!

(am I hipster?)

Creep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Time for an update:

Had a bit of post marathon depression/ running withdrawal going on. Also the horses were running like yaks which didn't improve my mood any :D

Fri 10th:

2m @ 10:38

Sun 12th:

6m @ 9:36

Mon: 13th

2m @ 10:08

Tues 14th

35 min on crosstrainer. Going to do some core work later as well

This is to illustrate why I hate cameras so much. I remember this exact moment. It was on the bridge before O Connell street and I could feel my face contorting and I'm like Kate feck sake sort your face out. But it was too late :o Didn't realise John was so near me at that stage either:confused:

You look okay but I know what you mean i had the same love affair :rolleyes: with the camera for dcm as well.

5.2m @ 8:36

Nice run apart from the wind and the hailstones :rolleyes:

I did two sets of pyramid strides as well.

|Time(secs)| 20 | 40 | 60 | 40 | 20 || 20 | 40 | 60 | 40 | 20 |
    |Pace|6:20|6:39|6:22|6:19|6:22||6:09|5:58|5:45|5:46|5:39|

I think they should be done at 5k pace (6:30 - 6:45) but I've never had a 5:xx pace on my garmin before so it's all good :D

3m @ 9:51

Recovery run. RHR was a bit high this morning (50)

• Advertisement

6m @ 9:27

Bit tired today. RHR 49. Rest day tomorrow. I'm doing the 8k race in clonmel next fri. I was looking at the results from last year. Catriona McKiernan won the ladies in 29min and Angela McCann was 2nd in 30min so pretty competitive. I think under 34 min would be ok for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm doing the 8k race in clonmel next fri. I was looking at the results from last year. Catriona McKiernan won the ladies in 29min and Angela McCann was 2nd in 30min so pretty competitive. I think under 34 min would be ok for me

Must be a popular race with Catriona and Angela running it. 8km takes a bit of getting used to though. For the sake of 0.03 of a mile to make it a 5 miler! :D

Did you decide against Terenure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I disappear for a few months and look what happens :pac:

Great stuff out of you Kate ! Delighted for ya :D

blockic wrote: »
    Must be a popular race with Catriona and Angela running it. 8km takes a bit of getting used to though. For the sake of 0.03 of a mile to make it a 5 miler! :D

Did you decide against Terenure?
    Your dead right ..... there's no 8k on the 10 round numbers for a reason :mad::D

There's a few vets (the animal type as opposed to the ancient type) doing it and we're having a mini competition between ourselves for the inaugural "Slievenamon Cup" so that's why I'm not doing Terenure
    jprender wrote: »
    I disappear for a few months and look what happens :pac:

Great stuff out of you Kate ! Delighted for ya :D
    Thanks J :D Great to see you back! What have you been up to since DCM? Did you do the Connemarathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Thanks J :D Great to see you back! What have you been up to since DCM? Did you do the Connemarathon?

Ah, I'm afraid there was no Connemarathon for me.

I really took the Winter off from running, just a little here and there. After the high of DCM, I found it very hard to motivate myself to put the running shoes on regularly.

Back into it now though, and a few races in my sights over the next few months. I don't think my boards t-shirt is gonna fit me though :D

Woke up at 5 a.m and could not get back to sleep :mad: So annoyed with myself. Such a waste of good quality sleeping time :mad:

Anyway at half six I decided I might as well do something productive so.....

8m @ 8:56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Woke up at 5 a.m and could not get back to sleep :mad: So annoyed with myself. Such a waste of good quality sleeping time :mad:

My kinda run ;)

As you do...

As you do...
    :D

4m @ 9:30
    Crosstrainer x 60 min
    Core x 20 min

Enjoyed the run. I feel like I'm getting a bit of bounce back into my legs :) I could be sleeping better though :( and I'm eating like a pig :o

Plan for tomorrow....eat less, exercise less :D

Plan for tomorrow....eat less, exercise less :D

I half like that plan!

How are you feeling about the ultra now K?

• Advertisement
Advertisement