Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

6m @ 8:51

I nearly got knocked down this evening and I'd only gone 200m down the road! I had to jump into the ditch at the last minute :eek: In fairness the sun was pretty strong. I think the driver got a bigger fright than I did though because she came back to apologise to me. Thanks be to the pagan gods I'll be able to run early tomorrow morning :D

4m @ 10:03

This was a disaster. I was planning on doing a 10 - 12 mile lsr ....ouch :eek:

For the first time in ages I didn't want to run. Dragged myself from my bed at 7:30 and I felt like crap from the start. My legs were so tired. For the last couple of weeks my calves and my glutes have been a little bit sore and tired but today they felt worse than ever. I'm also a little concerned with my RHR. It's been creeping upwards for the last few days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Look after yourself for the next few weeks in particular K - you've more to lose than gain. You're plenty fit for the ultra. Just make sure you keep it that way. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sounds like you're not 100%, not like you to have to drag yourself out of bed! I agree with Dilbert (surprise surprise!) you've nothing to gain and everything to lose at this stage by pushing too hard. Rest up for the week if needs be, there's no one that can question your fitness. At this stage the best way you can help yourself is to get to the start line in rested condition and good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

ncmc wrote: »
    Sounds like you're not 100%, not like you to have to drag yourself out of bed! I agree with Dilbert (surprise surprise!) you've nothing to gain and everything to lose at this stage by pushing too hard. Rest up for the week if needs be, there's no one that can question your fitness. At this stage the best way you can help yourself is to get to the start line in rested condition and good health.

This + 1,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Not all days are good days, and those that aren't can be really bad. don't take it as a bad sign, it's just your body's way of saying 'you caught me at a bad moment, come back tomorrow'. Take it easy for a few days and things shoud start falling back into place.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Look after yourself for the next few weeks in particular K - you've more to lose than gain. You're plenty fit for the ultra. Just make sure you keep it that way. ;)
    Sounds like you're not 100%,
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    This + 1,000
    Aimman wrote: »
    Not all days are good days, and those that aren't can be really bad. don't take it as a bad sign, it's just your body's way of saying 'you caught me at a bad moment, come back tomorrow'. Take it easy for a few days and things shoud start falling back into place.
    Thanks for the input folks :D My legs have been tired for a while so wasn't too concerned about that as I reckoned a trip to the physio on Monday would sort me out. My RHR is definitely a concern though. It was 43 before GLR. Went up to 46/47 for a few days after then dropped to low 40's. The day of the 8k race it was 40 and for a few days after but for the last 10 days it has been creeping up by 1/2 beats per day and its now 52.
    I don't think I'm overtraining but there is no other obvious reason so I'm going to err on the side of caution. I'm aiming for a sub 1:30 HM by the end of the year so I don't want to be out of action for a long time. Also I need to be 3lbs lighter by next tues to ride Black Belt in Roscommon so I'll need to do a few miles running everyday or else I'll have to starve :eek:
    So taking all the above into account I've decided to knock the 50k on the head :( I think I can defer the entry till next year so I emailed the organisers and as I'm planning to head over to Portumna anyway I offered to help out if they need volunteers etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Maybe a good decision CM, hope you pick it up soon!

Tough decision but probably the right one.

I think it's the right decision K, I did think it was a bit soon after Limerick. You're very sensible to listen to your body and do what's right for you. Your training has been fantastic and I think if you'd had a bad race on Sunday, it could have mentally set you back a bit.

So onwards and upwards! A 90 min half... Wow, that would be incredible and well within your reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That's a disgusting display of self control and common sense, well done! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's a disgusting display of self control and common sense, well done! ;)

:rolleyes:
    You made the right decision K. Just look after yourself.

Sunday:

7m @ 10:03

I slept all afternoon on Sat and RHR was 46 this morning and I was feeling ok after leaving the house so I was thinking I'm just totally over-reacting about the overtraining. I looked at my watch then and I'm doing 12 min/ml pace ..... downhill :D Ah ok that would explain it. As you were then. Even when I thought I'd picked up the pace a bit I was actually going slower

Monday:

7m @ 10:13

RHR 53. I have a physio appointment on Wed. I had originally planned to get a rub before the 50k and sure I might as well go now. It's really just a general feeling of fatigue like every day I've run a marathon but a rub might do them some good. I was looking back at my log and I think it was the 11m @ 7:42 pace that I did 2 weeks ago that screwed me. Normally after a session I get food and rest for an hr or so but having to go straight into work as soon as I got home was a killer. It was pretty hot that day in work and I remember thinking I was going to faint and having to go out for water. I felt rubbish for the rest of the day as well and then I did hill sprints two days later and a 14m lsr the day after .... stupid, stupider, stupidest :mad:

Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

• Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy - YES
    • Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains - YES
    • Pain in muscles and joints - WEIRD PAIN IN MY LEFT HIP WHEN I GET UP
    • Sudden drop in performance - HAVEN'T RACED
    • Insomnia - YES WAKE AT RANDOM EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING AND CAN'T SLEEP AGAIN. THEN KNACKERED WHEN I HAVE TO GET UP
    • Headaches - YES BUT WAS PUTTING IT DOWN TO THE HEAT
    • Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats) - NO
    • Decrease in training capacity / intensity - YES
    • Moodiness and irritability - YES WORSE THAN NORMAL ;)
    • Depression - NO
    • Loss of enthusiasm for the sport - MAYBE A LITTLE
    • Decreased appetite - NO I WOULD HAVE TO BE ON DEATH'S DOOR BEFORE THAT WOULD HAPPEN
    • Increased incidence of injuries.- NO
    • A compulsive need to exercise WHO ME???? NAH
    I don't think I'm overtraining (denial ;)) but I think I haven't given my body proper time to recover so I'm probably on the road to overtraining. Anyway I'm not going to run again until next week and then only if my RHR is back to normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey K I find this really interesting. I'm just starting to run again after 5 days off. I've been generally run down and like you suspect I am overtrained. I only have few of the symptoms on your list but RHR is fine, has been consistently mid 40s for a while now which is pretty normal for me. Anyway thanks for posting, its definitely worth keeping an eye out for these warning signs. Enjoy the rest, I have no doubt you will come back faster and fitter than ever :D

Ah ye with ye're 40-something RHR's. Mine was 52 before GLR and, with one exception, the lowest since then has been around 55. Do I just need to chill out more or get more sleep or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ah ye with ye're 40-something RHR's. Mine was 52 before GLR and, with one exception, the lowest since then has been around 55. Do I just need to chill out more or get more sleep or what?

Back off on the espressos?

Never touch 'em.

Itching to go out for a run today :D RHR down to 42 this morning :D

People keep asking me why I'm not running.....Am I sick? Am I injured? I've stopped mentioning overtraining now because all I was getting was silence and a funny look like can I not come up with a better excuse than that! I imagine that might be the reaction people get if they say they're depressed/have a mental illness and they can't work ;)

Tues - Sat:

No running. Didn't make it to the physio because I had to go into work at the last minute. Diet was poor all week :eek:
    I had a good day volunteering in Portumna. I was a bit miffed at first that I wasn't running but I was so busy I didn't have too much time to dwell on it. I think I must have been on my feet for about 7 hours and I was well tired last night but I met lots of people and it was lots of fun :D

Sunday:

4m @ 8:45

Pretty happy with this. I didn't feel like it was a massive effort. Plan for next week is mostly easy runs with a short tempo run on Thurs and a msr at the w/e

"Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, build to 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two. I consider Tempo Runs to be the "Thinking Runner's Workout." A Tempo Run can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and it has nothing to do with how long (in time) you run or how far. In fact, the times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise. Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly."

10 k pace = 6:55

Have to clean up my diet next week ....

Daily chocolate consumption needs to be at least halved!!!

Have to start back with core + flexibility work

Mon/Wed/Fri - 30 min yoga
    Tues/Thurs/Sat - 30 min core

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-aaJnMCG24SYXv8SkELWdXCnx3gz5msPsKcWq9JoligIjrzqe

I envy you your steady pace K. Don't know how you're so metronomic.

How are you feeling now?

• Advertisement

I envy you your steady pace K. Don't know how you're so metronomic.

How are you feeling now?
    Feeling pretty good thanks :) Can't wait to get back training again

I envy you your 19:35 5k and 39:42 10k :P

Feeling pretty good thanks :) Can't wait to get back training again

I envy you your 19:35 5k and 39:42 10k :P

I'll see your 5k and 10k envy and raise it by a sub-3.30 marathon!

I'll see your 5k and 10k envy and raise it by a sub-3.30 marathon!
    :D

Just a matter of time ;)

Just a matter of time ;)

Likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done on your Marshall PB in Portumna:D
    The 50K was probably the easier option;) You've earned yourself lots of good running karma.
    Glad you're on the mend.

People keep asking me why I'm not running.....Am I sick? Am I injured? I've stopped mentioning overtraining now because all I was getting was silence and a funny look like can I not come up with a better excuse than that! I imagine that might be the reaction people get if they say they're depressed/have a mental illness and they can't work ;)

The same people have probably never run further than to the bar when the last order bell is rung :D Tell them to feck off (in the nicest possible way of course ;))

Glad you seem to be on the mend. Portumna sounds like it was fun, as Marthastew says, you have good running Karma coming your way!

So what's the race plan for the rest of the year?

The same people have probably never run further than to the bar when the last order bell is rung :D Tell them to feck off (in the nicest possible way of course ;))

Glad you seem to be on the mend. Portumna sounds like it was fun, as Marthastew says, you have good running Karma coming your way!

So what's the race plan for the rest of the year?
    Haha ya you're probably right :D

Race plan is looking a bit like this:

Jul 19th - tullamore 5k
    Aug 11th - midlands HM
    Sept 22nd - charleville HM
    Oct 5th - donadea 10k
    Nov 10th - stook 10m
    Nov 30th - waterford HM

Not too definite on some of those dates and might run a couple of other 5k races as well but that's the general plan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nov 10th - stook 10k

Look forward to welcoming you to my club! ;)

BTW its a 10 mile.

Charleville is Sept 22nd! Might do that one myself.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Look forward to welcoming you to my club! ;)

BTW its a 10 mile.
    That's where you hang out is it?!

Great my 10m PB is much softer :D:D
    Charleville is Sept 22nd! Might do that one myself.
    Excellent thanks. Hope you do :D

6m @ 8:22

Fellow runners career_move is back in the game :D:D

I was heading for bed when a voice in my head spoke to me and said

"Career_move remember the 11th commandment .... thou must become stretchy and flexible with a core of steel"

and it wouldn't go away till it was obeyed and 30 minutes of yoga was performed :D

And then it spoke again and said

"Career_move your mission for June, should you choose to accept it, is to beat Blockic to the 1000 mile mark"

So Blockic ..... kiss my ass :P

:D..haha, work away!...however all joking aside, don't shoot up the mileage again too fast or you will be back to square one. Think long term goals, not short term! ;)

How many miles left? about 60?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

6m @ 8:22

Fellow runners career_move is back in the game :D:D

I was heading for bed when a voice in my head spoke to me and said

"Career_move remember the 11th commandment .... thou must become stretchy and flexible with a core of steel"

and it wouldn't go away till it was obeyed and 30 minutes of yoga was performed :D

And then it spoke again and said

"Career_move your mission for June, should you choose to accept it, is to beat Blockic to the 1000 mile mark"

Jaysus, EVERYONE is beating him!!

:D..haha, work away!...however all joking aside, don't shoot up the mileage again too fast or you will be back to square one. Think long term goals, not short term! ;)

How many miles left? about 60?

Who's joking? :confused::D

Only 54 left. I think I should be able to squeeze them in without too much effort before the end of June
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Jaysus, EVERYONE is beating him!!

I know I was feeling left out now that he's reclaimed the marathon pb ;)

The voices in your head even call you by your Boards name?

• Advertisement

The voices in your head even call you by your Boards name?

Career_move is the runner. It's easier to make her do things. Kate is the lazy slob who'd rather be drinking tea and eating chocolate biscuits ;)

Those voices in your head, were they wearing a nuns outfit and yellow glasses?

Those voices in your head, were they wearing a nuns outfit and yellow glasses?
    Something like this you mean ??

994296_10151517389718036_1288546983_n.jpg

Dear God no :eek:

I wouldn't let people like that inside my head :D

I don't even know how you managed to got your hands on that! :eek:

Beers beginning to kick in at that stage! :pac:

Big burn for you there RK! :D

That is so wrong in so many ways

• Advertisement

I think I look good.
    No problem with people seeing the outfit I wore in beating you fairly handily.

Its even on my FB page - I reckon thats where CM got it from :)

I think I look good.
    No problem with people seeing the outfit I wore in beating you fairly handily.

Its even on my FB page - I reckon thats where CM got it from :)

Nun starves and beats young cork boy in the rain in Dublin playground

I got friends in low places ;)

I think I look good.

I agree you do look rather dapper RK ...... have you previous form in dressing up in women's clothing? :P

Career_move is the runner. It's easier to make her do things. Kate is the lazy slob who'd rather be drinking tea and eating chocolate biscuits ;)

See that's maybe where I went wrong. You called yourself after a racehorse; I called myself after a cubicle-dwelling geek. It was never going to work the same way.

As for THAT picture, was I the only one wondering what Blockic was doing being embraced by Kenny Egan in a nun's habit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Kenny Egan in a nun's habit?

:D:D:D:D That is all

Kenny fooking Egan.......there's a 1st

Bahaha! I love the way you hid when Mr Wiggle was taking a perfectly respectable picture before CCM, but yet you pose for THAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Bahaha! I love the way you hid when Mr Wiggle was taking a perfectly respectable picture before CCM, but yet you pose for THAT!

That was AFTER the beer mile so he was drunk:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    That was AFTER the beer mile so he was drunk:D

I never would have guessed ;). I'm beginning to wonder what they all looked like a few hours later!

• Advertisement
Advertisement