Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Tuesday:

6m @ 8:45 + 30min core/stretching

I was running down the road past the field where the hay has been cut and I thought oh I'll pop in there for a little jog around. People say running on grass is easier for your legs but I have to work way harder on grass. I did one lap of the field and I was glad to get back onto the road

Wednesday:

4m @ 10:28 + 30min yoga

I wanted to do this as a recovery run because I've done two fastish days and as it turned out I'd no problem keeping this slow. Muscles in my arms and around my ribs were a bit achey from the core work. I hate running in the evenings because I always eat too much beforehand but at the moment the hedges are full of wild honeysuckle and when you run past in the evening the smell is divine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I was running down the road past the field where the hay has been cut and I thought oh I'll pop in there for a little jog around. People say running on grass is easier for your legs but I have to work way harder on grass

I think that type of grass on an uneven farmland surface is a world away from the type of smooth fluffy grass that those up in the Pale run on! :D

You were doing more of a cross country run!

You should definitely try to get some runs on (nice) grass if you can as the legs will be bait from the hard road surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great to see you're back on the road K, I'm sure it feels good :D

blockic wrote: »
    I think that type of grass on an uneven farmland surface is a world away from the type of smooth fluffy grass that those up in the Pale run on! :D

You were doing more of a cross country run!

You should definitely try to get some runs on (nice) grass if you can as the legs will be bait from the hard road surface.
    I was kind of thinking that alright :D Maybe I'll try sneaking into the gaa pitch in Errill in future ;)
    Runchick wrote: »
    Great to see you're back on the road K, I'm sure it feels good :D
    Ya I'm so happy to be back running. Even though I was only stopped for 5 days I was really missing the running endorphins :o

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Tuesday:

6m @ 8:45 + 30min core/stretching

I was running down the road past the field where the hay has been cut and I thought oh I'll pop in there for a little jog around. People say running on grass is easier for your legs but I have to work way harder on grass. I did one lap of the field and I was glad to get back onto the road

Wednesday:

4m @ 10:28 + 30min yoga

I wanted to do this as a recovery run because I've done two fastish days and as it turned out I'd no problem keeping this slow. Muscles in my arms and around my ribs were a bit achey from the core work. I hate running in the evenings because I always eat too much beforehand but at the moment the hedges are full of wild honeysuckle and when you run past in the evening the smell is divine :)

Hi career_move, I've really enjoyed working my way through your log over the last few days (that sounds like something Gillian McKeith might say actually), I've picked up some very useful things, mainly about consistency and HTFU!

Just on the running on grass thing, I hated it until recently, it always felt much more difficult and I'd stick to tarmac. Over the last few weeks though I've found it really good for taking out some of the impact, the legs have been a bit sore and I've found I've been avoiding harder surfaces as much as possible. Even when the legs feel better I think I'll be trying to stay on softer surfaces, I'd say the extra effort you put in might be of benefit when your on an "easier" surface in a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Grass is great on easy/recovery runs, but is Defo harder with the faster stuff.

6.5m @ 8:23

2m w/u @ 9:13

20min (2.9m): 7:01, 6:54, 6:56

1.6m c/d @ 9:55

Delighted with this. The plan was to not look at my watch* and just concentrate on my breathing so I turned the watch the other way on my wrist. I'd love to say this was easy but it wasn't. Heading out I planned to do 2m w/u, 3m tempo, 1m c/d but after the first tempo mile I was thinking I need to stop. Now. Persuaded myself to run another mile and when that was done I said keep going till 15 minutes is up and when I'd got that far I kept it going till 20 minutes. I knew I was nearly at 3 miles but 160m is a long way when you're breathing like you're about to have a cardiac arrest :D It's a start anyway

*I did have a few sneaky peeks at my watch ;)

Friday:

4.5m @ 10:44

Was this yesterday? All I remember is my legs felt good. Yesterday was a long day :eek:

Saturday:

14m @ 9:06

I had planned to do 12 but it was wet and windy and it felt like winter again. Maybe this was the reason for my strange compulsion to turn right at the crossroads instead of going straight on? Who knows but it added another couple of miles onto the route. I have a weird fetish for whole numbers of late too so when I arrived back home at 13.65m it was unthinkable that I wouldn't round it up to 14 ;) I may have to rethink my no eating no drinking policy on long runs during the summer however because I was fairly drained after this :o

Sunday:

4m rec @ 10:46

Failure was looking to run @ 10:45 pace :( Turned out to be the story of my day. Black belt was racing in Gowran and I thought she should be in the first 4 but the little b!tch wouldn't line up at the start and although she got going ok she pulled herself up after a mile :mad::mad:

Monday:

Run #1: 4.5m @ 10:20

Enjoyed this. It was lovely and cool and legs felt good :)

Run #2: 6.5m @ 9:05

This was nice too. I didn't look at my watch and just let my legs motor on at whatever pace they wanted. Oooh and that brings me up to 996 miles. 4m tomorrow and my reward is a trip to Amphibian King to get new shoes emo49.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunday:

4m rec @ 10:46

Failure was looking to run @ 10:45 pace :( Turned out to be the story of my day. Black belt was racing in Gowran and I thought she should be in the first 4 but the little b!tch wouldn't line up at the start and although she got going ok she pulled herself up after a mile :mad::mad:

emo49.gif

She's over trained ;) get her off the p&d and into a more suitable programme :D

6m @ 9:28

YTD: 1002 :D

Progression run 10:06, 9:44, 9:31, 8:57; 8:48 c/d 9:41

Slept really badly last night. I'd say I got about an hours sleep. I was seriously contemplating getting up for a run at 3 a.m but I thought I'd probably just end up getting knocked down so I went at 5 instead :D It was lovely out. Warm enough so you could wear a t-shirt but not too warm.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNEomaknKt6qzjn44_CqOfL-CUGun-9HPt0R84Tbtd69t5RSLraA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Well done on 1000 miles. Don't think I've covered that ground in 2 years of running :o If I ever do cover it in a year, I'll be robbing that pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done K, that's savage mileage in less than 6 months.

I hope to be robbing that pic in 6-8 weeks!

guinang wrote: »
    Well done on 1000 miles. Don't think I've covered that ground in 2 years of running :o If I ever do cover it in a year, I'll be robbing that pic
    ncmc wrote: »
    Well done K, that's savage mileage in less than 6 months.

I hope to be robbing that pic in 6-8 weeks!

Thanks guys :D

I robbed the pic from Mr. Google ..... all's fair in love and pictures ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

All's fair in love and pictures...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on hitting the 1 kilomile mark! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done k. Savage stuff altogether.

Congrats!!! Here's to another 1,000 by christmas!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the 1K C_M. Been a great 6 months for you.Hope the next are just as good if not better;)

5k pace intervals: emo65.gif

2m w/u @ 8:33, 8:36

#1 - 0.51m @ 6:04

6:03

#3 - 1m @ 6:25

#4 - 0.52m @ 6:41

#5 - 0.51m @ 6:20

1.6m c/d @ 9:42

The last 5k race I did was on New year's day. Average pace that day was 6:42. Goal 5k pace is 6:25 I was wondering yesterday had somebody stolen the little pace I had in my legs because everything seems pretty difficult at the moment. I was feeling like I had gone backwards fitness wise and pace wise so I'm delighted with this today. Wasn't sure what pace I was running at when I was doing them. I had to drop my van in for a service this morning so I was going to run home and then go out again later this evening for the session. The first couple of miles felt good though and it wasn't too hot so I just decided to get the bloody thing over and done with. I was tempted to pack it in after the first two. Looking at the splits they were too fast. I used the same stretch of road for all the repeats. There was an elderly lady out walking and the first time I passed her was towards the end of the warm up. Breathing was normal. Conversation was easy. The second time was towards the end of the 4th repeat. Breathing was laboured. There was no conversation. Elderly lady stopped and gave me a confused stare ;) Legs felt good enough on the cool down. Planning to do some yoga later :)

• Advertisement

Breathing was laboured. There was no conversation. Elderly lady stopped and gave me a confused stare ;) Legs felt good enough on the cool down. Planning to do some yoga later :)

That's because the Elderly lady couldn't understand why you're so out of breath. She never does that during her intervals @ 5:20 pace

If you're interested in yoga, talk to Marthastew, She's a black belt in 5 different types of yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice session there K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice one, well done getting the 5th rep back down.

5k pace is meant to feel like that- I despise it. Gimme Half M all the time!!

3m @ 9:44

Was getting tired of being told to do more runs on grass by everybody I talk to and when I ran past, the gate into the field was open so I took it as a sign. 1.75 laps of the field is about a mile (if you don't cut the corners ;)) and doing laps wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had planned to go a small bit slower but I wasn't looking at my watch and it's hard to judge my pace off my breathing on grass because it's always heavier. I was going to do another 3 miles this evening but I walked 4m home from town (15:30 pace ;)) and now I'm tired :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You know you are a horseperson when:
    • -You cluck to your car when you go up a hill.
    • -Your horse's hair is in better condition than your own.
    • -You refer to your car as "my portable tack room".
    • -You are exited when your friend tells you that there is a huge sale at the bridle shop, then you are disapointed when you realize they mean the bridal shop.
    • -You have the vet's number but not your kid's pediatrician on your speed dial.
    • -Your spouse can track dirt into the house all they want, but God help them if they muddy up the tack room.
    • -Your house is a mess, but the barn is as neat as a pin.
    • -Your nice clothes are the ones without horse hair all over them.
    • -You have to go to your friend's wedding in riding clothes because you took too long at the barn.
    • -Only horsepeople would spend hundreds of dollars on a show for a 95 cent ribbon

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You know you are a horseperson when:
    • -You cluck to your car myself when going up a hill :D
    • -Your horse's hair is in better condition than your own.
    • -You refer to your car as "my portable tack room".
    • -You are exited when your friend tells you that there is a huge sale at the bridle shop, then you are disapointed when you realize they mean the bridal shop.
    • -You have the vet's number but not your kid's pediatrician on your speed dial.
    • -Your spouse can track dirt into the house all they want, but God help them if they muddy up the tack room.
    • -Your house is a mess, but the barn is as neat as a pin.
    • -Your nice clothes are the ones without horse hair all over them.
    • -You have to go to your friend's wedding in riding clothes because you took too long at the barn.
    • -Only horsepeople would spend hundreds of dollars on a show for a 95 cent ribbon
    Very American but very true :D

A.M: 6m @ 9:06

P.M: 4m @ 8:56

Have a spin in the ladies derby at the Curragh on Sunday so going to do the lsr tomorrow

13m @ 8:59

13 HOT HILLY THIRSTY HUNGRY miles. I have never been so happy to finish a run. I brought a bottle of water with me luckily but it was gone after 8 miles. If I'd brought my phone I would have been ringing for a taxi :eek: but I didn't so I had to tough it out. I got sunburned too - that'll teach me to be lazy about putting on suncream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hot out there today alright. Good work.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hot out there today alright. Good work.
    Thanks RR. Well done on your PB. Nice confidence booster going into the marathon training :D

• Advertisement

5m @ 10:36

This was a nice easy run. I needed to watch my weight for the Curragh this afternoon so it ended up being a bit longer than my normal recovery is. Headed off to the Curragh then and had a good spin round. Finished 12/16 but only beaten 15 lengths and the owner and trainer were happy enough. Got a Newbridge silverare necklace from the sponsors too :D

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Total|1040

The months are flying by :eek: Main target for July is a sub 20 5k on Jul 19th in tullamore :D

Sub 20 5k will be no bother to you K!

Have you any more marathons in mind or are you planning to concentrate on the shorter stuff? I think I read on some thread or other that you're not planning to do DCM?

Sub 20 5k will be no bother to you K!

Have you any more marathons in mind or are you planning to concentrate on the shorter stuff? I think I read on some thread or other that you're not planning to do DCM?
    No more marathons this year. I'm going to do some shorter races for the rest of the year and then aim for Limerick again next year :D

How about yourself? Are you going to enter Clonakilty? Aimman will probably have you doing ultras next year ;)

I think I may do Clon, but wouldn't be aiming for a particular time. I believe it's a very tough course. I'd do it for the scenery and novelty of running a marathon in December! Aimman has already got me convinced that the Donadea 50k is only a wee bit longer that a marathon and sure then the Connemarathon is only a wee bit longer again.... It sounds so plausible when he says it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

No more marathons this year. I'm going to do some shorter races for the rest of the year and then aim to win Limerick next year :D

How about yourself? Are you going to enter Clonakilty? Aimman will probably have you doing ultras next year ;)

Lofty ambitions indeed, no bother to ya :D

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Lofty ambitions indeed, no bother to ya :D
    Haha :P I wish

I already signed the two of you up for Portumna 100k and Belfast 24 hour. Training plans are in the post

Monday - Run lots
    Tuesday - Run lots
    Wedsneday - Run More
    Thursday - Run until Friday
    Friday - Keep Running
    Saturday - Cross Training - Run in the opposite direction
    Sunday - Stop for a Gel, start running again. :D

Aimman has already got me convinced that the Donadea 50k is only a wee bit longer that a marathon and sure then the Connemarathon is only a wee bit longer again.... It sounds so plausible when he says it!

But If Anto is measuring it, it could end up being a lot longer than a marathon, bit like the Kildare Marathon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    I already signed the two of you up for Portumna 100k and Belfast 24 hour. Training plans are in the post

Monday - Run lots
    Tuesday - Run lots
    Wedsneday - Run More
    Thursday - Run until Friday
    Friday - Keep Running
    Saturday - Cross Training - Run in the opposite direction
    Sunday - Stop for a Gel crunchie, start running again. :D

Fixed that for you Eamo!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Fixed that for you Eamo!

How could I have missed that!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    But If Anto is measuring it, it could end up being a lot longer than a marathon, bit like the Kildare Marathon :P
    used to have a friend by d name of eammon....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    used to have a friend by d name of eammon....
    No, he's the guy you booked on the flight for August. I'm Eamonn :P

4m @ 9:02 incl 6 x hill sprints

Rep|Time|Pace
    #1|0:23|7:51
    #2|0:21|7:29
    #3|0:21|7:25
    #4|0:21|7:35
    #5|0:19|7:01
    #6|0:21|7:19

I love hill sprints and I felt I was really doing them on my toes today. It's all good practice for the run along the Wicklow Way on Saturday I guess :D

How long is the run in Wicklow CM? Is that an IMRA event?

How long is the run in Wicklow CM? Is that an IMRA event?

Do you not remember it's inception in the Bodega in Cork after the marathon?

Belcarra and myself decided to do it in the near future for the fun of it, I wanted to see what it's all about! Well the future is here!!

It's 36km roughly I think

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Do you not remember it's inception in the Bodega in Cork after the marathon?

Belcarra and myself decided to do it in the near future for the fun of it, I wanted to see what it's all about! Well the future is here!!

It's 36km roughly I think

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056969308/1

36 kms! Eek! Up hills and mountains! Double eek! Best of luck with it folks, it sounds fun. Though its going to be hot this weekend so look after yourselves out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

36 kms! Eek! Up hills and mountains! Double eek! Best of luck with it folks, it sounds fun. Though its going to be hot this weekend so look after yourselves out there.

I got all my sunburning out of the way this weekend...don't think i have any epidermis left to burn next weekend :rolleyes:.
    We'll be sure to bring the spare ambulance with us anyways just in case you-know-who causes another 'scene'!

4m @ 9:02

I'm taking my carb loading for the weekend very seriously. Some might say it's becoming an obsession as I could hardly move today I'd eaten so much :o
    My Saucony runners have fallen out of favour. They've 486 miles in them but they feel like I'm running on the road. I think a marathon really takes it out of a pair of runners cause the Asics have 539 miles in them but they feel not too bad :D I have a new pair ordered anyway and a pair of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlORyzshMbGQKpcoMELpgbaJOUXpYiDbLP2b8ZGycx5bA3k2j1qQ Asics gel ds trainer 18

I hope they come next week so I have time to break them in before the 5k :D

Good choice with the Wexford colours there CM! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement