Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ooh, they are nice! Like the purple! Are they a neutral shoe? I'm thinking of trying something different to Nike next time round. Mine are already beginning to feel a bit flat and they only have 200 odd miles in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Ooh, they are nice! Like the purple! Are they a neutral shoe? I'm thinking of trying something different to Nike next time round. Mine are already beginning to feel a bit flat and they only have 200 odd miles in them.
    They are. Review here. Gary in AK said it would probably be a good idea to stay with the Saucony Omin 11 since I was happy with them but the Asics gel ds trainer is a good bit lighter and more of a racing shoe (although still has a bit of support) so I'm going to try and gradually get my legs used to them as well :D

Its Wednesday :) .... its session day :eek: its 5k pace intervals emo65.gif

2m w/u - 9:32, 9:23
    Mile 1 - 6:21
    Mile 2 - 6:18
    800 @ 6:23
    800 @ 6:22
    2m c/d - 11:16, 10:25

Original plan was 2 x 800, 2 x 1600, 2 x 800 but in work this morning I thought to myself f@ck it I'll just do 3 x 1m ... how hard can it be :rolleyes: Thought I was going to throw up after the first mile, had to stop for a breather half way through the second and then I decided to do 2 x 800 to finish :D but I kept a better eye on the pace today and I'm delighted cause its pretty consistent. A horse reared back on me this morning on the gallop and my back was a bit sore but it's well loosened out now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4m @ 9:02

I'm taking my carb loading for the weekend very seriously. Some might say it's becoming an obsession as I could hardly move today I'd eaten so much :o
    My Saucony runners have fallen out of favour. They've 486 miles in them but they feel like I'm running on the road. I think a marathon really takes it out of a pair of runners cause the Asics have 539 miles in them but they feel not too bad :D

Don't get caught up in all the 'Best Before' theory with runners. When I completed the Royal Canal Marathon on 31st December, I clocked up 2000 miles between two pairs of runners. (Having said that, I never got to break 3:30 yet and when I took them off after the marathon, they were able to run back home by themselves. :o)

Aimman wrote: »
    Don't get caught up in all the 'Best Before' theory with runners. When I completed the Royal Canal Marathon on 31st December, I clocked up 2000 miles between two pairs of runners. (Having said that, I never got to break 3:30 yet and when I took them off after the marathon, they were able to run back home by themselves. :o)

I just think they feel crap but it may all be in my head because I always thought the Asics were heavier and they even felt heavier but Gary weighed them and they're actually lighter and now that I know that they feel light :D

I just think they feel crap but it may all be in my head because I always thought the Asics were heavier and they even felt heavier but Gary weighed them and they're actually lighter and now that I know that they feel light :D

Wait till they have a sunroof and your big toe is poking out the top. Or maybe that's just me :rolleyes:

Thursday:

3m @ 10:22

Good recovery from yesterday. Have a big bruise at the back of my leg. Didn't realise till I rolled it with The Stick last night and felt red hot pain ..... won't be doing that again ;)

Friday:

5m @ 9:55

Few miles just to loosen out the legs nothing too exciting :D

Saturday:

:D Best long run EVER :D

The Wicklow Way: Marley - Roundwood
    Elevation Gain: 4,793 ft

Total miles: 25.7

Bonus calories for me to pig out on: 2,845

So I was early as usual and it was pretty easy to get parking in the Marley park carpark. I did a mile round the football pitches in Marley before I met the others. It was pretty easy to spot the members of our group with the camelbaks and we took a couple of photos before we set off. The run is just kind of one big blur in my head of hills, rocks, boulders, dykes, trees and rivers and then more hills and hills and steeper hills. Beautiful place to run but the terrain was tough and took a lot of concentration especially on the downhills

994834_10200573252507178_780251447_n.jpg

The sun was really strong and I couldn't even see what I was taking photos of and my hands were lathered in suncream. When I finished I was also covered in dead flies that had drowned in suncream when they landed on me. It was worth every second of discomfort for the views though and my legs actually felt ok when we had finished. It's the first long run I've done that I haven't got blisters on so I'm not sure if that's down to the new Mizuno socks I bought in AK or the fact that I wasn't running continuously for 25 miles

970786_10200573251587155_1563589255_n.jpg

Loved every minute of this run. Although in the end it was great to get to Roundwood and have the bottle of Coke I'd been fantasizing about for the previous 10 miles. Great running with great company :D The first 22 miles of the WW are here. I saved the run after 22 miles because it said the battery was running low and I wasn't sure if it would save automatically and the last 2.7 miles are here

Sunday:

3.3m @ 10:46

Nice recovery run and thankfully it wasn't too warm. 9 hours 28 min of running this week - my longest so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sunday:

3.3m @ 10:46

Nice recovery run and thankfully it wasn't too warm. 9 hours 28 min of running this week - my longest so far :D

You must have been out early cos it was roasting at 10am in cat land!

Sounds like so much fun! Definitely going to try and do the next one. I can't believe you did almost marathon distance up and down hills! That's serious running.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    You must have been out early cos it was roasting at 10am in cat land!
    Haha what's new ;):D
    ncmc wrote: »
    Sounds like so much fun! Definitely going to try and do the next one. I can't believe you did almost marathon distance up and down hills! That's serious running.
    Would definitely recommend it. So much fun. You wouldn't notice the miles flying by because there's so much to take in all around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good photos CM and great running on tough terrain. Jeez is there nothing you can't do! Well done. You were entitled to some chocolate with the coke too after that;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

super stuff. Dead Jealous.

Saturday:

:D Best long run EVER :D

The Wicklow Way: Marley - Roundwood
    Elevation Gain: 4,793 ft

Total miles: 25.7

Bonus calories for me to pig out on: 2,845

So I was early as usual and it was pretty easy to get parking in the Marley park carpark. I did a mile round the football pitches in Marley before I met the others.

Warning!!!! That's the sign of a budding Ultrarunner right there!!!! Don't say you haven't been warned!!!!!!

Well done on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow K, super impressive! You're on fire! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

4m @ 9:02

I'm taking my carb loading for the weekend very seriously. Some might say it's becoming an obsession as I could hardly move today I'd eaten so much :o
    My Saucony runners have fallen out of favour. They've 486 miles in them but they feel like I'm running on the road. I think a marathon really takes it out of a pair of runners cause the Asics have 539 miles in them but they feel not too bad :D I have a new pair ordered anyway and a pair of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlORyzshMbGQKpcoMELpgbaJOUXpYiDbLP2b8ZGycx5bA3k2j1qQ Asics gel ds trainer 18

I hope they come next week so I have time to break them in before the 5k :D

Im running in these since a few weeks after Limerick CM, fantastic shoe and so much lighter than the normal stability shoes like adrenalines, omni, gt-2000 and what have you. You will feel yourself going quicker in them right away.
    The initial plan was to keep them as a racing/interval shoe and go with something a bit more supportive for the long stuff but ive done 12 miles in them with zero issues so far so ill keep inching up the miles to see how I get on. Definitely less support than Im used to but iv always had issues in highly supportive shoes like Adrenalines and so far I'm niggle free with well over 100 miles on my pair, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Im running in these since a few weeks after Limerick CM, fantastic shoe and so much lighter than the normal stability shoes like adrenalines, omni, gt-2000 and what have you. You will feel yourself going quicker in them right away.
    The initial plan was to keep them as a racing/interval shoe and go with something a bit more supportive for the long stuff but ive done 12 miles in them with zero issues so far so ill keep inching up the miles to see how I get on. Definitely less support than Im used to but iv always had issues in highly supportive shoes like Adrenalines and so far I'm niggle free with well over 100 miles on my pair, fingers crossed it stays that way.
    That's good to know thanks. Did it take you long to get used to yours? I should have mine by the end of this week and I was hoping to race in them fri wk

6m @ 9:03

Pretty happy with this run and with my recovery from Sat. I just let my legs dictate the pace and I was surprised it wasn't a bit slower. My quads were a bit sore yesterday. Not in a "Oh my god, what have you done to us :mad:" kind of way. More a "Man you made us work hard yesterday :eek:" kind of way. And my calves were also complaining a bit. I wore compression tights last night and I think that helped a good bit

That's good to know thanks. Did it take you long to get used to yours? I should have mine by the end of this week and I was hoping to race in them fri wk

I had zero break in with them to be honest, felt good straight away. Did a couple of 5 milers and haven't went back to the Brooks since. They fit a wee bit larger though but I've gotten used to that. Good luck with them!

• Advertisement

4m @ 8:50

Legs were a bit tired starting off but no major aches or pains anywhere and they woke up after a mile or so. It's so hot even at 7pm :eek:

I'm thinking I'll leave this weeks session till Friday morning. I'm only doing one more before the 5k race Friday week. It's a toss up between a 30min tempo @ HMP or 10 x 400 @ 3k pace. I would prefer to do the tempo but I reckon I'd probably get more benefit out of the 400's ..... unfortunately :(

4m @ 8:50

Legs were a bit tired starting off but no major aches or pains anywhere and they woke up after a mile or so. It's so hot even at 7pm :eek:

I'm thinking I'll leave this weeks session till Friday morning. I'm only doing one more before the 5k race Friday week. It's a toss up between a 30min tempo @ HMP or 10 x 400 @ 3k pace. I would prefer to do the tempo but I reckon I'd probably get more benefit out of the 400's ..... unfortunately :(

What have you done more of? Tempos or speedwork?

you can always vary it and do a 20m tempo with 5x300's ?

What have you done more of? Tempos or speedwork?

you can always vary it and do a 20m tempo with 5x300's ?
    I've done one 20 min tempo and 2 5k interval sessions in the last 3 weeks and only really MP stuff before that

difficult one to call -
    take a look at the links I posted - might give you some different thoughts regarding the time it takes for the stimulus to kick in and also some race week workouts...............
    Whatever you choose it'll benefit you.

Wednesday:

7m @ 8:55

Did this after 9p.m and it was lovely and cool. Broke my tooth today eating a frozen mars bar :mad: D'oh

Thursday:

Forgot I will be busy tomorrow so today (night) is session day. Decided on the 10 x 400 @ 3k pace. Mcmillan reckons I should be around 6:11 pace based on the 8k race I did so that was the plan as I didn't want a real ball breaker of a session. Not that I have balls for anybody that's :confused::D Anyways I was aiming for between 91 - 93 seconds for the reps. So...

2m w/u: 9:18, 9:08

400m reps: 85,84,84,89,84,85,79,81,82,81,
    All off 50 - 70 sec standing recovery

2.5m c/d: 10:09, 9:52, 9:37

So the pacing was a bit off :o Oops. What I've learned though is it's bloody hard to adjust the pace over 400m. I need to start off a bit slower or something. The first two reps are sort of amalgamated on the garmin because I pressed the pause button instead of the lap button after the first rep. I remember seeing 1:25 as the time though cause I was thinking uh oh :eek:

Oh and did I mention the f@cking flies. B@stards. I was snorting flies, inhaling flies, wiping flies out of my eyes and off my neck. I'll probably be having nightmares about flies tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Aiming for 91-93 seconds & getting an average, by my estimation, of about 83 seconds is pretty savage going. Well done K.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Aiming for 91-93 seconds & getting an average, by my estimation, of about 83 seconds is pretty savage going. Well done K.
    Thanks. The mountain run has brought me on a heap :D My RHR is as low as its ever been and everything just feels so much easier like it was before Limerick

I miss marathon training :(

So what's next?

Thanks. The mountain run has brought me on a heap :D My RHR is as low as its ever been and everything just feels so much easier like it was before Limerick

So what's next?
    Hmmmm.... can I refer you to this post :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85378517&postcount=448

Are you sure you're not on commission N? Unfortunately that's the week after the Waterford half (entries opened yesterday & new route by the sounds of things), which is not great timing.

Are you sure you're not on commission N? Unfortunately that's the week after the Waterford half (entries opened yesterday & new route by the sounds of things), which is not great timing.
    I'm hoping that if I do enough shilling, the organisers will put me up in Incydoney Resort for the weekend :D*

Ah sure you can do a HM any time, how often do you get to run a full marathon in December with that beautiful scenery???

*I really just want the company - well for the first 2 minutes anyway before you two would leave me for dust :o

• Advertisement

Friday:

3m @ 10:03

Just managed to squeeze this in. Legs felt great

Saturday:

10m @ 8:30

It was midday when I did this and it was hot but at least there were no flies! I spent the first 3 miles worrying about whether or not I'd put suncream on my left arm. Turns out I did :D Pretty grand otherwise. I had loads of water with me and the miles flew by but I was glad to finish all the same. Spent the evening catching sheep and holding onto them while they were dosed and clipped so plenty of core work for me!

Sunday:

4m @ 10:04

Was going to only do 3 but I did the extra mile just to bring my weekly running time over 6 hours. Please let my new runners come tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

My new runners arrived today and I was thinking about you - hope you have the same luck :D I'm wearing them now vacuuming the house dying to hit the road ;) New runner day is always a happy day :D:D

Runchick wrote: »
    My new runners arrived today and I was thinking about you - hope you have the same luck :D I'm wearing them now vacuuming the house dying to hit the road ;) New runner day is always a happy day :D:D
    Thanks my new runners did come and the foam roller :D Was so excited I headed out straight away in the Asics Ds trainers :D

Don't tell anyone but I'm going to do another run this evening to try out the Saucony Omni 12 ;)

Run 1: 4.5m @ 9:01

Run 2: 4.5m @ 9:01

Happy with my new shoes. Neither pair feels very different to what I was wearing so it's going to be a seamless transition :) The Asics DS are a small bit lighter and the Omni 12 might feel more cushioned but I think if I was blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and the ones I'm wearing now. I got a foam roller as well so I'm all sorted ;)

That's an OCD double.

That's an OCD double.
    :D I know. I'm easily amused ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Wednesday:

2m w/u: 9:18, 9:08

400m reps: 85,84,84,89,84,85,79,81,82,81,
    All off 50 - 70 sec standing recovery

2.5m c/d: 10:09, 9:52, 9:37

Those are pretty impressive 400's! If I get 6 under 90 I'm delighted, and it doesn't usually happen. Think I need to take a leaf out of your book and just run more. It's fascinating to watch/read how much faster you're getting all the time. What would you have done those 400's in when we were on the DCM novice board this time last year?! Well done...

Tuesday:

4m @ 8:42

Did this after work. It was hot :eek: Threw in a bit of a hill. Nothing else to report :D

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:26

Included one set of pyramid strides: Time|20s|40s|60s|40s|20s
    Pace|6:19|6:12|6:00|5:52|5:37
    I was ambushed by a horrible Collie during the warm up mile. I was going to aim a kick at it but then I remembered I had my new DS trainers on so I put a spurt on instead :D

Thursday:

3m @ 10:01

Was racing in Killarney last night. Didn't do any good and I didn't get home till half 12. 4 hours sleep is not an adequate amount of sleep time for me :( I is a tiredy girl today

Temp: 29C @ 7p.m :eek: WTF
    Course: road + trail + grass + road= :(

Target: 19:50 :D
    Result: 21:22 :rolleyes:

OUCH!! The car was reading 29 degrees when I rocked up to the Tullamore harriers stadium. Nice athletics club. Pity it's an hour drive from me cause the facilities look great. I forgot my watch although that was probably a blessing in disguise as it turned out.
    The race started on the road and I was at the start early so I could suss out some people to pace off. There were lots of people wearing TH club vests and I got talking to a few people who were aiming around 20 min. Lined up about 2 rows back and off we went.
    One of the girls I was talking to shot off but there were a couple going a bit steadier and I tried to pace myself off them. The first k was grand. Pretty flat along the road and then into Charleville estate. I was working hard and my breathing was a bit laboured but I thought that was ok. There was a clock at the end of the 1st k and I was happy enough to see 3:53 on it (My plan if I had my watch was to run 3:55 pace). The 2nd and 3rd k were tough.
    The ground changed to trail and then we had to run about 400 - 500 metres across grass. I feckin hate grass and it was slightly uphill as well :( I kept the pace ok on the grass and even pushed ahead of the TH girl I was running with. When we got back onto the road though my legs felt like jelly and we were still going uphill. The TH girl caught up with me and I couldn't stay with her.
    The water station came up then at 2.5k and I stopped for about 20 sec to drink. I was so thirsty! About 3/4 women passed while I was stopped but I passed them again over the next k.
    There was one women about 7metres in front of me as we turned after the 4k mark to go back into the estate. With 500m to go I passed her and I should have been able to stay going but we went around a couple of bends and up a small hill which felt like a mountain and still there was no sign of the finish and my lungs were on fire and I'm ashamed to say I stopped for about 10 sec :o Two women passed me before I got going again. I'd say the finish line was about 150m from where I stopped round a bend. I nearly laughed when I saw the time 21:1x.
    I suppose I should have been disappointed but that was the best I could do tonight and I was just glad I didn't bust my ass over the last 100m when I saw the time. I didn't vomit or even dry retch at the finish but my throat was like sandpaper as if I had been screaming solidly for 2 hours and my rib muscles went into spasm as I walked back to the clubhouse. I'm glad I didn't have my watch because if I'd known I was that far off my PB I think it would have been way harder than it was.
    It's not all bad either. The DS trainers were very comfortable and I still managed to scoff several yummy rice krispie buns before i headed home and I have another 5k planned for next fri wk in Daingean. It's supposed to be a deadly fast course :D and I'm hoping that tonight will have brought me on a good bit!

I feel your pain K, sounds exactly like my 5m race last week (though your time is less humiliating than mine was!) I think you can just forget the race results in this heat, it's so hard to run short, fast races in these temperatures when we're just not used to them. I bet if you look at the results, most people were probably slower than planned. Hopefully all this hot weather training will stand for us when the weather cools down!

• Advertisement

Mrs D was disappointed with her 5k last night too - a min short of her pb from a few weeks ago. But she too knew she'd left nothing out there so was satisfied that she'd done her best on the night. Sometimes that's all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great report K, good on you for even attempting to race last night - I couldn't sit in the garden for longer than 10 mins and you raced 5k :eek: No doubt you'll blitz that time in a few weeks :D

4m @ 9:22

Way fresher than I should have been on this run :o Granted I was asleep for the afternoon but definitely could have worked harder last night. Official results have me in 6th place. Winning SF time was 19:35. Oh well onwards and upwards :D

12m @ 8:29

Lots of clouds about today thankfully but the humidity was still a killer and the air is so dry it's hard to breathe. I put my water bottles in the freezer over night and just topped them up with a tiny bit of water before I left. That worked well and I had a lovely cold drink for the first 6 miles or so anyway. I had it in my head to do 12m and on the way round I was debating doing a few more but in the end I thought what am I killing myself for and I went the short way home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

12m @ 8:29

Lots of clouds about today thankfully but the humidity was still a killer and the air is so dry it's hard to breathe. I put my water bottles in the freezer over night and just topped them up with a tiny bit of water before I left. That worked well and I had a lovely cold drink for the first 6 miles or so anyway. I had it in my head to do 12m and on the way round I was debating doing a few more but in the end I thought what am I killing myself for and I went the short way home :D

Great minds think alike ;)...nectar to the thirsty runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Much respect to you CM for racing a 5K in that heat. Sorry that you didn't get your goal time but Im sure everyone was way off their capabilities in that heat. I've no doubt you will smash that time in your next race :D

Consider it smashed! Some running in that heat. Did a very very easy 7 the friday before and I wasnt right for 12 hrs!

5m @ 9:20

I'm finding the last few days that I'm more comfortable at slightly faster "easy" paces. Finally I'm running within my mcmillan pace range for a recovery run without any effort!!!

Plan for the rest of the week:

Tues|10 x 400 or 3x 1m|I'll see what I feel like tomorrow
    Wed|recovery run|
    Thurs|45 min tempo|Should be @ 10k pace (6:55)
    Fri|recovery run|
    Sat|15m lsr|Keep pace @ 9min/mi
    Sun|recovery run

I've two more chances to get the sub 20 5k before I concentrate on the HM in Charleville. I'll only have 4 weeks when I get back from holidays so I'd say 1:30 might have to wait for Waterford/next year but we'll see how it goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

5m @ 9:20

I'm finding the last few days that I'm more comfortable at slightly faster "easy" paces. Finally I'm running within my mcmillan pace range for a recovery run without any effort!!!

Plan for the rest of the week:

Tues|10 x 400 or 3x 1m|I'll see what I feel like tomorrow
    Wed|recovery run|
    Thurs|45 min tempo|Should be @ 10k pace (6:55)
    Fri|recovery run|
    Sat|15m lsr|Keep pace @ 9min/mi
    Sun|recovery run

I've two more chances to get the sub 20 5k before I concentrate on the HM in Charleville. I'll only have 4 weeks when I get back from holidays so I'd say 1:30 might have to wait for Waterford/next year but we'll see how it goes...

They have changed the route for waterford. No more tramore road boredom and no more stupid nature park :) it's mostly around the city with one major drag. Starting and finishing in wit sports complex meaning that the last mile is slightly downhill.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    They have changed the route for waterford. No more tramore road boredom and no more stupid nature park :) it's mostly around the city with one major drag. Starting and finishing in wit sports complex meaning that the last mile is slightly downhill.

Deadly thanks :) Definitely one for the diary so!

Advertisement