Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That drag is up to Genzyme, isn't it Gavlor? If so it's fairly early in the course so it should be tolerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That drag is up to Genzyme, isn't it Gavlor? If so it's fairly early in the course so it should be tolerable.

Nope, that's long but easy enough, the worst hill is to the flyover and down on to the green road. It's the only piece of country road on the route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    They have changed the route for waterford. No more tramore road boredom and no more stupid nature park :) it's mostly around the city with one major drag. Starting and finishing in wit sports complex meaning that the last mile is slightly downhill.

Interesting, I actually enjoyed the route last year somehow, any links to this new route? Feel free to run it for us and post up the garmin ;)
    5m @ 9:20

I've two more chances to get the sub 20 5k before I concentrate on the HM in Charleville. I'll only have 4 weeks when I get back from holidays so I'd say 1:30 might have to wait for Waterford/next year but we'll see how it goes...

Tough going last week, but just one of those things, where are the next two 5ks on? Takes a couple to get into them so sub 20 is definitely there for ya just hard to get the pacing right i find!

Also, I've a question :)....I know the answer to it due to the Mile Tracker but I find it mighty impressive if not crazy :eek: and I think people need to see your consistency! It's a great example and method to building your aerobic base through low and frequent mileage! I for one couldn't manage it!

So here goes...when was the last day you didn't run? :)

blockic wrote: »

:eek: just looked back. I feel lazy and unmotivated.

:eek: just looked back. I feel lazy and unmotivated.

Some going!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Tough going last week, but just one of those things, where are the next two 5ks on? Takes a couple to get into them so sub 20 is definitely there for ya just hard to get the pacing right i find!

Also, I've a question :)....I know the answer to it due to the Mile Tracker but I find it mighty impressive if not crazy :eek: and I think people need to see your consistency! It's a great example and method to building your aerobic base through low and frequent mileage! I for one couldn't manage it!

There's one in Daingean friday week. It's supposed to be very fast :D and I'll have nearly 2 weeks more training in the bag :D Then two weeks later Edinburgh parkrun. Says on the webpage it's flat and hopefully it'll be cold so no excuses ;)

I had to check that .... it seems my last non running day was Saturday June 15th .... obviously an OCD thing going on there ;):D:D

2m w/u @ 8:45, 8:44

3 x 1m @ 6:21, 6:22, 6:18

3m c/d @ 9:33, 9:47, 10:02

I think Aimman is right. Ultra running is the future. 50k, 100k, the odd marathon, hills, mountains. Anything really, other than pesky 5k's and the pesky training that goes with it :mad: Really thought I was going to throw up after the first mile and I stopped for a breather half way through the 2nd and 3rd so not exactly an emphatic success :(

You stopped for a breather and still got 6.18 & 6.22? I think maybe you did pretty well there K.

You stopped for a breather and still got 6.18 & 6.22? I think maybe you did pretty well there K.
    Nah pressed pause when I stopped ;)

Thank God for that. Might give us average Joes a break on the old self-esteem front. :eek:

• Advertisement

Nah pressed pause when I stopped ;)

CHEAT

Gavlor wrote: »
    CHEAT

Aye but I'm an honest cheat ;)

Aye but I'm an honest cheat ;)

Ok, lance

4m @ 10:02

Really tired today. I guess it's a cumulative effect of racing Friday, doing faster lsr and recovery runs and the session yesterday.

Revised plan for the week:

Thurs|easy run|
    Fri|45 min tempo| @ HM pace (7:15)
    Sat|recovery run|
    Sun|15m lsr| @ 9min/mi

I think I'm being too aggressive with the 5k target because I know I'd manage those mile repeats much better @ 6:30 - 6:35 pace. I think next race I'll start off a bit slower and see can I pace it a bit better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just catching up on your log, well done on the race in the heat, dont wory too much about th time.
    looks like your trainin is very solid, if and when normal weather resumes, you'll blast it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just catching up on your log, well done on the race in the heat, dont wory too much about th time.
    looks like your trainin is very solid, if and when normal weather resumes, you'll blast it.

+1, everyone is suffering with the heat, In the next couple of days, there'll be a lot of rain, a couple of claps of thunder and the air will be back to normal and you'll be outsprinting the horses. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Really tired today. I guess it's a cumulative effect of racing Friday, doing faster lsr and recovery runs and the session yesterday.

Revised plan for the week:

Thurs|easy run|
    Fri|45 min tempo| @ HM pace (6:55)
    Sat|recovery run|
    Sun|15m lsr| @ 9min/mi

I think I'm being too aggressive with the 5k target because I know I'd manage those mile repeats much better @ 6:30 - 6:35 pace. I think next race I'll start off a bit slower and see can I pace it a bit better

If your HM pace is right (6:55) then McMillan would have your 5k pace @ 6:17 :eek:.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    If your HM pace is right (6:55) then McMillan would have your 5k pace @ 6:17 :eek:.
    Haha no that's a mistake. I was going to go at 10k pace but I decided last night it would be better to go at HM pace (7:15) :D

Bonus points for Dazza for reading the table ;)

Thurs:

6m @ 9:05

I did one hill rep just to see how far the hill near the house is. I've never measured it from the bottom and the hill repeats I do just on the very top bit. So anyway it was 0.32 mile long and I did it in 2.49. Must try and do a session with a few more of these

Fri:

Planned 45 min tempo was discarded. I'm still a bit miffed about messing up the last 2 5k sessions so I was doing a bit of reading last night and I came across this article where high school coaches described their most effective 5k sessions and I found one that I thought would be useful to do:

Kedge: tempo progression repeats:

Purpose: To transition through a spectrum of energy systems used in various training phases. It also aids in the concept of not going out too fast in a race.

THE WORKOUT:

1 mile warm up;

1m @ 8:47

1.5-mile tempo run at 30 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace; I took this to mean current race pace. The Tom Brennan 5k was at 6:42 pace and I sort of went with that. But I was thinking when I was out I should have used my 8k time from May. If you put that into Mcmillan the equivalent 5k is 6:31

1.5 m @ 7:15, 7:09

3-minute jog/walk recovery;

0.3 m @ 9:39

1 mile at 5K race pace;

1m @ 6:35

0.34m @ 9:00

800m at "reach" 5K race pace;

800m @ 6:22

0.33m @ 9:08

2 x 200m sprints;walk back rest in between.

36, 37 (secs)

When done properly, this workout should feel "moderately hard." Recovery is relatively quick and you can run hard again, or even compete, a few days later.

Really enjoyed this and I think it's definitely one I'll be using again :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

All going well with training?

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    All going well with training?
    Em ya I think so :)

I mean there's still a bit of a chasm between the times I want to run and the times I'm capable of running but hey it's a work in progress ;)

Thurs:

6m @ 9:05

I did one hill rep just to see how far the hill near the house is. I've never measured it from the bottom and the hill repeats I do just on the very top bit. So anyway it was 0.32 mile long and I did it in 2.49. Must try and do a session with a few more of these

Fri:

Planned 45 min tempo was discarded. I'm still a bit miffed about messing up the last 2 5k sessions so I was doing a bit of reading last night and I came across this article where high school coaches described their most effective 5k sessions and I found one that I thought would be useful to do:

Kedge: tempo progression repeats:

Purpose: To transition through a spectrum of energy systems used in various training phases. It also aids in the concept of not going out too fast in a race.

THE WORKOUT:

1 mile warm up;

1m @ 8:47

1.5-mile tempo run at 30 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace; I took this to mean current race pace. The Tom Brennan 5k was at 6:42 pace and I sort of went with that. But I was thinking when I was out I should have used my 8k time from May. If you put that into Mcmillan the equivalent 5k is 6:31

1.5 m @ 7:15, 7:09

0.3 m @ 9:39

1 mile at 5K race pace;

1m @ 6:35

0.34m @ 9:00

800m at "reach" 5K race pace;

800m @ 6:22

0.33m @ 9:08

2 x 200m sprints;walk back rest in between.

36, 37 (secs)

When done properly, this workout should feel "moderately hard." Recovery is relatively quick and you can run hard again, or even compete, a few days later.

Really enjoyed this and I think it's definitely one I'll be using again :D:D

That looks like a great session, not going to get bored during it anyway. I think I would need to write that all down before heading out :)

I think I would need to write that all down before heading out :)

Ha, was thinking the same myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

That looks like a great session, not going to get bored during it anyway. I think I would need to write that all down before heading out :)

How did you complete it K? Did you write it down/set up your Garmin? It looks like a really interesting session, I'd love to give it a shot (when I get back in shape:)) but I'm not sure I could manage to remember it all (age is a terrible thing:rolleyes:, isn't it digger;))

Ha, was thinking the same myself! :D
    Marthastew wrote: »
    How did you complete it K? Did you write it down/set up your Garmin? It looks like a really interesting session, I'd love to give it a shot (when I get back in shape:)) but I'm not sure I could manage to remember it all (age is a terrible thing:rolleyes:, isn't it digger;))
    Ya it's a bit complicated when you first read it alright but it's not that difficult when you're doing it and it's actually the most enjoyable 5k session I've done.
    I wrote the plan and my paces on a piece of paper and that definitely simplified it. I was going to bring the plan with me but I was thinking about it a lot last night and I had it clear in my head exactly how I was going to do it so I didn't bother. I have the Garmin 10 so you can't set up sessions on it but I know the road so that helps.
    I just typed out exactly how I did it but it makes it sounds fierce detailed and really all I did is keep an eye on time/distance/pace :D

Are you back from your hols now MS? Hope you had a lovely time :D

Article is here

15m @ 8:50

First long run I've done completely on empty for ages. Didn't feel hungry at all so it was grand. It was very misty for the first hour or so and my legs got a bit chaffed from my shorts even though they're the ones I wore in Limk :( Nearly fell over running backwards from a vicious dog. I don't often go this route because of said dog but there are a few nice hills (elevation gain only 596 ft though which seems a bit pathetic) that I wanted to do in preparation for my trek along the Kerry way next Sat :D

4m @ 9:02

Was only 2 minutes out the door and the heavens opened and it rained solidly the whole time I was out. Big globules of water hitting the road so that the road became more like a riverbed and my clothes were plastered to me. I'd have been as well off putting on my running gear and running under a cold shower for 36 minutes. I don't think I ever got as wet running during the winter but I was starting to enjoy it after the first mile or so. Luckily there wasn't a gale blowing though or I'd probably have ended up with pneumonia by the time I got home. Pace was a bit fast for a recovery run but my garmin was hiding under my sleeve from the rain and although I was trying to run slowly I didn't want to run so slowly that I got cold so I was just focusing on keeping my breathing nice and relaxed.

Oh ya and DCM 2012 top .... NOT good in the rain. Like wearing a sponge and anytime I straightened my arms while running, little rivers of water ran down my fingers :D

Monday:

4m @ 10:07

Was going to do a little session today but was tired so put it off till tomorrow. This route had a few little hills and I don't usually come this way so it was quite enjoyable :D

Tuesday:

2m w/u @ 9:00, 8:56

12 x 400m @ goal 5k pace = 6:25 = 96/97 secs

98, 91, 98, 91,98, 91 :eek: 94, 94, 93, 92, 94, 89

2m c/d @ 9:06, 9:15
    I started off the reps trying to keep to 6:25 pace but that wasn't really working with all the tree cover etc so then I tried to just go on effort. It was more difficult to keep the splits consistent today because I didn't do them on the same place and the road is a bit bumpy. The last one was up hill. Recovery was as long as it took to get my breath fully back and ended up being between 36 and 50 secs

Run 1: 3m @ 10:18

Run 2: 3m @ 10:06

Right glute is a tiny bit twingy from the hills on Saturday I think. A bit of foam rolling should sort it out though.

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Jul|200
    Total|1240

Failed in my target for July so main target for Aug is sub 20 5k and start work on HM training = tempo, tempo, tempo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

start work on HM training = tempo, tempo, tempo :D

Only three tempos? Tsk tsk tsk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Failed in my target for July

Right, back to the start for you!

Thursday:

3m @ 10:00

Debated whether or not to throw in a few strides - I was tired and I thought feck it I'll do some tomorrow :o

Friday:

Daingean 5k : 20:27
    (watch time but I think it's spot on)

It was lashing rain when I arrived in Daingean this evening but thankfully once that shower was finished we didn't get anymore rain. There was plenty of puddles on the roads though and it was still quite a warm 17C. Motivation levels were low it has to be said :(

I did a good warm up 1.5m @ 8:44 with 5 x 100m strides. Legs felt good - no trouble from the glute. The race was about 10 min late starting but it didn't really matter since it was so mild. I lined up behind a few familiar Tullamore harriers ladies who I recognised from the last race and Aine the girl who I ran with for a couple of k and who finished 3rd was right in front of me. I brought my watch this time obviously and the plan was to run 4:00 min/k and boot it at the end if I had anything left. (I find it handier to pace the 5 and 10k races in km so apologies if I confuse people) So off we went. The first 400m is downhill and Aine took off at a good clip. I checked my watch shortly after the start and it was 3:30 pace so I put the brakes on and Aine probably was about 50m in front of me. It wasn't very congested so I don't think I lost any time overtaking people and I went through the first km in 3:56. Lovely I thought. I was feeling strong and my breathing was laboured but well under control and I was maintaining my position well and even passing out a few people. Second km 3:59 The 3rd k was where it started to go a bit pear shaped. I wasn't looking at my watch obsessively and I thought I was keeping the effort the same and I was still passing people so when I did look at my watch I got a bit of a shock when I saw the pace had dropped to 4:13 :eek: Sh!t. Motored on a bit, passed a few more people but finished the 3rd km in 4:09 I knew the sub 20 was gone because I was starting to empty but I kept plugging away and even though the 4th k was 4:14 I was continuing to pass people and had closed the gap on Aine to about 15m. I passed another TH girl who finished in front of me the last day as well. The last 500m was slightly downhill and I tried to pick up the pace as best I could but there wasn't much left and I couldn't get any nearer to Aine. A lad came flying past with about 100m to go but no one else passed me and the 5th k was 4:08. Did a small cool down 1m @ 10:25
    Overall pretty happy with the run. I felt running it that I was keeping a good effort up and its a 25 sec PB :D Not sure of my finishing position but I think the first 4 ladies were around the 19 min mark. Just looking at the elevation profile on garmin connect and there is a long steady drag from 1.3m to 1.9m and another smaller one for the first quarter of the second mile. The elevation gain is pathetic but it definitely took its toll on the pace. Talking to a few people after and they found the same. I think they changed the course this year and previously it was a good bit faster. Nice spread after and for 10 yoyos what more can you ask for? :D

another 25 secs and you'll be nearly there!! Any more 5ks due in the coming weeks??
    Interestingly though - my 5k PB came at a time when I was training for a 10k and my 10k PB came when I was training for a HM.
    Not quite sure what you're training for these days - kind of a 5k/ultra/marathon type of thingy :)

25 secs is a good chunk of change on a PB - delighted you're happy with it and very well done.

another 25 secs and you'll be nearly there!! Any more 5ks due in the coming weeks??
    Interestingly though - my 5k PB came at a time when I was training for a 10k and my 10k PB came when I was training for a HM.
    Not quite sure what you're training for these days - kind of a 5k/ultra/marathon type of thingy :)

25 secs is a good chunk of change on a PB - delighted you're happy with it and very well done.
    Haha I'm not too sure what I'm training for either :o Doing the Edinburgh parkrun Sat week and it's supposed to be flat so the question is will another 2 weeks training be enough ..... we shall see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on another PB - you really are in the zone now - sub 20 is only a matter of time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There's a real fast one in Cellbridge in a few weeks if Edinburgh doesn't work out and if all else fails there is always Rathfarnham 5k in September.
    Well done, very few go sub 20 on the first few attempts, but keep plugging away and it will all click.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Haha I'm not too sure what I'm training for either :o Doing the Edinburgh parkrun Sat week and it's supposed to be flat so the question is will another 2 weeks training be enough ..... we shall see ;)

dare I suggest a rest day .....as a kinda experiment for an ultra runner in search of a 5k PB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

A PB is a PB girl! Congratulations! A sub 20 is just a matter of time for you. Sure the humidity these days would add at 30 seconds, so get a cool day and you'll be running like a Kenyan on speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    A PB is a PB girl! Congratulations! A sub 20 is just a matter of time for you. Sure the humidity these days would add at 30 seconds, so get a cool day and you'll be running like a Kenyan on speed :)

What she said :D Fab performance as always ;)

Fair play CM, another impressive run. It's a good sign that your getting chunks like that off your PB. Just keep doing what your doing and the sub 20 will come.

Can't believe I had a quicker 5k PB than you even if it was only for 3 days :(

• Advertisement

Saturday:

Didn't do the Kerry Way run after. I was a bit tired and my sister arrived home from Oz for a few weeks today so I did this little recovery run with her instead :D

Sunday:

10.4m @ 8:53

Did the first 3 miles with sis and her hubby at about 9:40 pace. They took a short cut home and I picked the pace up then without too much extra effort. I did two laps of the same ring which meant I could stop at the house for a drink after 50 minutes. It was very humid out and I was glad I didn't have to go any further today :D

Monday:

4m @ 11:15

This was slow - even by my standards. My sister's legs were knackered from galloping horses. Conversation went a bit like this "Ah Claire we're running at 15min/mi pace :eek: that's pathetic"...."it's not my fault my quads won't bend" :D:D Lucky I only gave her two horses to ride. Last time she came home I gave her 4 horses the first day and she couldn't walk properly for at least a week :D

Tuesday:

1m w/u @ 9:19

3m @ HMP - 7:14, 7:13, 7:08

3m easy - 8:42, 8:15, 8:06

1m c/d @ 9:01

Very humid out. Not nice for running :( I was going to do 2 x 2m @ HMP but my legs were a bit sore. Claire went swimming today :D

Wednesday:

3m @ 10:34

Recovery run with Claire

Thursday:

8m altogether including the same 5k session as last week. Love this session :D Had to work a tiny bit harder on a couple of the reps because it was windy and slightly uphill but a bit of an improvement from last week so very happy :D I shortened the recovery jogs from 3 min to 2.5 min as well. 2 x 200m still walk back recovery

|Last Week|Today|
    1m warm up|8:47|8:42
    1.5m @ currrent 5k pace + 30sec|7:15, 7:09|7:04, 6:59
    1m @ current 5k pace| 6:35|6:34
    800m @ goal 5k pace| 6:22|6:22
    2 x 200m flat out|36, 37|36, 36

P.M: 4m @ 9:41

Came home from work and Claire was heading out for a run and it would have been rude not to go too ;)

Friday:

5m @ 9:18

Up at half five to do this because I had to be in work for half seven. Must have been feeling good because I had only planned to do 4

Saturday:

6m @ 9:04

Did this with Claire. It was a good run for her because she did the Gold Coast Marathon in 4:27 again this year so its a good bit faster than MP for her. The second last mile is hilly and we kept the pace the same as the previous mile which is downhill and then we did the last mile at 8:40 pace

Sunday:

13m @ 8:24

(8:58, 8:48, 8:48, 8:46, 8:41, 8:19, 8:20, 8:16, 8:16, 8:05, 8:03, 7:46, 8:13)

Happy out with this. I was able to increase the pace without too much effort and get in 3 miles around marathon pace. I didn't bring any water but I stopped at a shop half way round for a Caprisun which was great because my mouth was getting a bit dry. It's years since I've had one but I didn't want to carry a water bottle and they seemed to do Aimman good in sixmilebridge :D

I've entered the Athlone HM because it looks like it's going to be good fun with all the Boardsies. It's a week earlier than Charleville though so I need to get my ass in gear with the HM training. I'm going to abandon the parkrun in Edinburgh because it was going to be difficult to get to as I won't have a car and I'll get my sub 20 5k in Rathfarnham instead :D The plan for the next 4 weeks is basically 3 sessions/week - a tempo/HMP session, a 5k/hill session and a lsr with a few MP miles. I may still do Charleville and run with the 2 hr pacers :D

whats you marathon plan this year CM, cant remember??

Any more 5k's to attack coming up?

whats you marathon plan this year CM, cant remember??

Any more 5k's to attack coming up?

It's all part of a bigger plan RK ;)

There's a couple of 5k's I could do but it'll take from the HM training. I want to get the best time I can in Athlone so will just incorporate a few 5k sessions in the next few weeks and hopefully get a sub 20 in Rathfarnham at the end of September :D

Monday:

4m @ 9:45

Blank on this one. Can't remember much about it. Will be able to do these recovery runs in my sleep soon :D

Tuesday:

8m @ 8:12

Tempo session. Woke up and needed a serious kick in the ass from my inner b!tch to get me out the door. I was tired, I was hungry............ Let's have breakfast. NO we have to get this done NOW. You had about 3 mars bars last night there's plenty of glycogen in your muscles :rolleyes:
    Ok we're out the door. I don't feel like doing a tempo today though......

Once I got my head sorted it wasn't too bad at all. The last two tempo miles were tough cause I was starting to feel it and was running into a bit of a headwind. Overall delighted with today though

1m w/u @ 9:13

2 x 3m @ Tempo pace with 3 min jog

7:11, 7:09, 7:04

7:05, 7:06, 7:06

2.69m c/d @ 10:15, 10:02, 9:58

Might do a 4m recovery run later on

Monday:

4m @ 9:45

Blank on this one. Can't remember much about it. Will be able to do these recovery runs in my sleep soon :D

Tuesday:

8m @ 8:12

Tempo session. Woke up and needed a serious kick in the ass from my inner b!tch to get me out the door. I was tired, I was hungry............ Let's have breakfast. NO we have to get this done NOW. You had about 3 mars bars last night there's plenty of glycogen in your muscles :rolleyes:
    Ok we're out the door. I don't feel like doing a tempo today though......

Once I got my head sorted it wasn't too bad at all. The last two tempo miles were tough cause I was starting to feel it and was running into a bit of a headwind. Overall delighted with today though

1m w/u @ 9:13

2 x 3m @ Tempo pace with 3 min jog

7:11, 7:09, 7:04

7:05, 7:06, 7:06

2.69m c/d @ 10:15, 10:02, 9:58

Might do a 4m recovery run later on

Were they variety pack ones or proper mars bars??:D

Were they variety pack ones or proper mars bars??:D
    They were not the really small ones but not the proper sized ones either. I'm such a pig :o

Going away???

Did the men in white coats finally catch you????!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement