Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    Going away???

Did the men in white coats finally catch you????!!! :D
    Haha :D

Nice that you have such a high opinion of me ...... :p

You too Blockic :p

Wednesday:

6m @ 9:30

Early morning run. Grand except Claire got a bad stitch and we had to slow down.

Thursday:

6m @ 10:02

Went slower on this one because when Claire is running at my easy pace it's faster than MP for her and sort of counterproductive so I'm going to just do most of my easy runs with her while she's home and the sessions on my own

Friday:

5m @ 8:36

Did this on my own round the Meadows in Edinburgh.

Saturday:

20m - 19m @ 10:27
    1m @ 10:12

There was 4 of us doing this. I wanted to run along the canal for 9m and then turn back but I was reliably informed that this would take us into the badlands of Edinburgh and in particular the drug empire of Wester Hailes so a more mountainous scenic route was proposed. I found it easy enough but we were leaching runners as we went along. Ian left at 7m, Claire left at 14m, Cath left at 16m. When I was on my own I did 1m @ 7:06 and I was going to do another but when I turned back it was into a headwind and I couldn't be bothered. Was going to stop at 18m but I got lost so I spent 2m running up and down streets before a nice Scottish lady directed me back to Brunsfield :D

Sunday:

3m @ 9:13

Did this in the park on my own. Legs felt good. The fringe festival is on in Edinburgh at the moment so town is jammers and there were lots of random people asleep in an inebriated doze in the park.

2m @ 9:52

Another run with Claire to work off a rather large lunch in the Malt Whiskey Society (wasted on me I know ;)) in the badlands of Dalkeith. I can't go here, I can't go there, there's drug addicts everywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Did ya get to run into Begbie by any chance??

belcarra wrote: »

Em I don't know what that means.....

Monday:

4m @ 8:04 (8:51, 7:30, 8:21, 7:31)

followed by 5 hrs walking around the streets and walls of York. Not sure if that offsets all the food I've eaten though ;)

Things I like when I'm running:
    - early mornings
    - freshly cut grass
    - the smell of bark from trees
    - stopping to eat wild raspberries
    - the park when it's empty

Things I dislike when I'm running:
    - people in large groups
    - cyclists
    - kids
    - people with prams
    - people throwing frisbies
    - speed bumps on canal paths
    - gates on canal paths
    - drug addicts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

- places and nature

Things I dislike when I'm running:
    - people

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Em I don't know what that means.....

Have ya never watched Trainspotting?
    268127.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

-
    - the park when it's empty

Must p**s you off when you go into the park and it's not empty any more! tongue.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Aimman wrote: »
    Must p**s you off when you go into the park and it's not empty any more! tongue.png

Don't worry it's always empty at the hour of the morning she is out!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Don't worry it's always empty at the hour of the morning she is out!

But as soon as she goes into it, technically, it's not empty anymore. ;)

But as soon as she goes into it, technically, it's not empty anymore. ;)

Haha smarty :P

Have ya never watched Trainspotting?
    268127.jpg

Ahhhhh trainspotting .... no never saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ahhhhh trainspotting .... no never saw it.
    Travesty!
    It is so weird you posted this, I was watching The Beach on Saturday night and was thinking about Robert Carlyle in Trainspotting and for the life of me couldn't think of his characters name. Had been trying to think of it all day (without resorting to Google) until you posted that!

Wonder what happened Robert Carlyle, he was huge for a while, haven't seen him in anything in ages.

followed by 5 hrs walking around the streets and walls of York. Not sure if that offsets all the food I've eaten though ;)
    Isn't York so pretty? I was there for a weekend a couple of years ago and loved it. Would really recommend it for a weekend away. I had the best hot chocolate ever from a chocolate shop on The Shambles, I reckon there was only two ingredients in it and one of them was cream! I calculate you'd need to run at least a 48hr Ultra to work off the calories!

ncmc wrote: »
    Isn't York so pretty? I was there for a weekend a couple of years ago and loved it. Would really recommend it for a weekend away. I had the best hot chocolate ever from a chocolate shop on The Shambles, I reckon there was only two ingredients in it and one of them was cream! I calculate you'd need to run at least a 48hr Ultra to work off the calories!

Ya York is lovely. I'd say you'd do some nice runs down by the river :) So many good food shops - temptation everywhere!!!

Tuesday:

6m @ 9:58

Did this along the banks of the Thames past the London eye and the houses of parliament. It was early but there were loads of people out running on their way to work I'd say cause most of them had backpacks

Wednesday:

5m @ 9:52

Much the same as yesterday. Felt a few twinges from my left ITB yesterday. Haven't been doing the exercises but started them again and it was perfect this morning thankfully

• Advertisement

Thursday:

5m @ 9:33

It was raining a bit this morning and the streets were definitely quieter. I was bitten by an insect above my ankle and it's quite sore today. Ants were seen in the vicinity at the time of the attack but I thought ant bites weren't that bad and this is pretty swollen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Must have been an angry ant !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2Bzs1bfqk_puQDkcYJgXwHceXZbhwgIjPik8EntSU8146sQ2F5w

RedRunner wrote: »
    Must have been an angry ant !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2Bzs1bfqk_puQDkcYJgXwHceXZbhwgIjPik8EntSU8146sQ2F5w

Brilliant :D Lucky ibuprofen is cheaper here than smarties :D

Friday:

6m @ 7:50

This week is a recovery week so was planning all easy/recovery runs this week but I ran the first mile at 8:12 and it felt easy so I said I'd just keep the effort the same and forget about the pace. 16m planned for tomorrow. I was debating doing 2 x 4m @ MP during it but I think I'll leave that now till next week instead

Saturday:

16m @ 8:12 with 6 @ MP

MP miles were not in the amended plan for today but the third mile was @ 8:01 and I said I'd just go with it, seeing as I only have myself to answer to ;) The next 5 miles were 7:58, 7:40, 7:38, 7:51, 7:43. I think my aerobic capacity is slowly improving anyway. The last couple of runs I've found my breathing is more relaxed at faster paces. I didn't bring any water with me and although I stopped at a garage for a drink my face was covered in salt when I got home

• Advertisement

Sunday:

3m @ 9:32

I'm trying to decide on what session would be best for next week. This is going to be one of my key sessions. The options are:

4 x 2m @ HMP
    6m @ HMP + 5 secs
    6 x 1m @ 10k pace

Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sunday:

3m @ 9:32

I'm trying to decide on what session would be best for next week. This is going to be one of my key sessions. The options are:

4 x 2m @ HMP
    6m @ HMP + 5 secs
    6 x 1m @ 10k pace

Any opinions?

What's the target race CM? I presume it's a half marathon going by those sessions. Personally I would do the 6 mile straight at half marathon pace (not +5 secs if you can manage it). I would make it a long session, 2-3 mile WU, 6 miles @ HM pace, 2-3 miles cool down. You can't beat the confidence you will get from finishing a long session like that.

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's the target race CM? I presume it's a half marathon going by those sessions. Personally I would do the 6 mile straight at half marathon pace (not +5 secs if you can manage it). I would make it a long session, 2-3 mile WU, 6 miles @ HM pace, 2-3 miles cool down. You can't beat the confidence you will get from finishing a long session like that.
    Thanks. Target race is Athlone HM two weeks next Saturday. I'm going to do that session pretty much as you have it there but I'm going to wait till 10 days before the race because I've read that's when you'd get maximum benefit from it. I just need a build up session for Tuesday. I've already done 2 x 3m at HMP 2 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

+1 to that plan.

Here I bear the saddest news,
    A farewell to my trusty and favourite blue shoes

We've run in the dark, we've been to the park
    To Kildare and Meath, Tipp and Offaly too
    Trails and grass, roads old and new.
    Together we took on the Great Limerick Run
    - we had success and the very best fun
    You served me well, you did your all,
    It's to your credit I never hit the wall.

And so dear runners do not despair
    Although you've been replaced by a funkier pair
    It's not because my love for you is any the less
    It's simply that you're old and worn and just don't smell the best

Monday:

6m @ 8:47

Right calf was a bit sore to touch so I thought maybe 4 would be enough. I foam rolled it before I ran and it was ok and no pain when I ran so I did the 6. I'm going to go with the 6 x 1m @ 10k pace for tomorrow's session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Here I bear the saddest news,
    A farewell to my trusty and favourite blue shoes

We've run in the dark, we've been to the park
    To Kildare and Meath, Tipp and Offaly too
    Trails and grass, roads old and new.
    Together we took on the Great Limerick Run
    - we had success and the very best fun
    You served me well, you did your all,
    It's to your credit I never hit the wall.

And so dear runners do not despair
    Although you've been replaced by a funkier pair
    It's not because my love for you is any the less
    It's simply that you're old and worn and just don't smell the best

You have way too much time on your hands :D oh and Emily Dickinson you are not :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Tom Joad wrote: »
    You have way too much time on your hands :D oh and Emily Dickinson you are not :P:P

+2 :D

After an initial scare though it gave me a smile and the thought "CM's back".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

White ........ Coats :D

CM Rocks.

• Advertisement

11m @ 8:31

with 6 x 1m @ 6:53, 6:54, 6:51, 6:49, 6:51, 6:49 off 2 min rec (30 sec standing/90 sec jogging)

Really I was hoping somebody would tell me there was no need for this session. I think 4 x 2m @ HMP would have been easy enough to do but I knew in my heart I needed to get this done. I did them up and down the same road because I can leave water at the corner. I was glad I did because it's so humid this morning. Nasty little session. Can't say it was easy even though 6:55 is my 10k pace from the kclub. The first one was hard because it was the first and my brain always objects to unnecessary stress ;) The second one was grand - it was the slowest. The third one I went to sleep, let the pace drop then had to work hard to get it back. The fourth and fifth were just hard and the last one I was knackered. Happy to have it done now. I think a little power nap may be on the cards for this afternoon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Monday:

6m @ 8:47

Right calf was a bit sore to touch so I thought maybe 4 would be enough. I foam rolled it before I ran and it was ok and no pain when I ran so I did the 6. I'm going to go with the 6 x 1m @ 10k pace for tomorrow's session

That's a tough session session CM, maybe you should do 4 x 2M @ HMP instead :D:D:

dazza21ie wrote: »
    That's a tough session session CM, maybe you should do 4 x 2M @ HMP instead :D:D:

That's very helpful Daz thanks :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

That's very helpful Daz thanks :rolleyes: :D

Anytime :D. But you nailed the 10k session anyway. I found that the toughest of the 4 McMillan sessions and I took 3 mins recovery between miles. Half marathon paced session was almost enjoyable in comparison.

Wednesday:

4m @ 10:00

:confused:

Thursday:

A.M 4.5m @ 9:50

Nothing special about this. Did it before work this morning. I had planned 16 x 400 for today but I thought it might be overkill. If I'm feeling good tomorrow I'll do a few strides

P.M 4.5m @ 9:01

Dragged Claire and Ian out for a run. I'm like their personal trainer ;)

5m @ 9:10

with one hill rep (256m @ 7:48)

and 10 x 112m (28, 27, 26, 27, 25, 27, 27, 26, 26, ??)

Forgot to stop my watch after the last rep. Or else I only did 9 ..... how annoying :(

11m @ 8:29

Last 4 miles:
    MP - 8:04
    easy - 8:22
    MP - 7:52
    HMP - 7:01

+ 2 m c/d @ 9:34

Wasn't too enthusiastic heading out for this one. I'd ridden out 5 horses, it was nearly lunch time and I was kind of hungry! Once I started running though it was fine. The plan was to do 12/13 with the last 2 miles at HMP. I ran the first 3 miles with Claire and Ian and then they took a shorter route home and Claire was going to bring me some water on the bike. I picked up the pace a bit and was feeling pretty comfortable once they left. The 8th mile at MP wasn't intentional and I decided I'd better slow down a shade before the HMP miles. Got to mile 9 and no sign of my water coming :( Started coming up with loads of reasons not to do HMP miles - my legs are tired, I did strides yesterday, I've worked hard all week, I don't need to do them etc etc. So I've pretty much abandoned it and I was surprised the 10th mile was 7:52. Met Claire then but I was in the groove so I didn't stop. The 11th mile is slightly downhill and I was able to hit 7:01 pace fairly easily. Stopped then for a drink and finished off with 2 slower miles to bring me up to 227 for the month :D I've been working hard this month as that's my highest monthly total :D and now it's taper time :D:D

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Jul|200
    Aug|227
    Total|1467

4m @ 10:55

Bad run. Strained my calf muscle yesterday. I think it might have been because I wore the DS trainers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bad run. Strained my calf muscle yesterday. I think it might have been because I wore the DS trainers :mad:

Might seem like an obvious question, but why did you run with a calf strain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Are they giving you trouble CM? I find that anything over about 14 miles beats my legs up to ****!t! Did a 20 miler in them yesterday, last few miles the shoes nearly killed my feet! Hope the calf is nothing too serious.

Because she's evolving into an Ultrarunner. :D

Don't worry CM, all the cool people have calf strains.

It's the new metatarsal......

I thought I'd fixed it with the foam roller last night because it wasn't sore this morning. it took me 2 miles to decide nah this is actually sore but I had to get home and I wasn't going much faster than a walk anyway
    Are they giving you trouble CM? I find that anything over about 14 miles beats my legs up to ****!t! Did a 20 miler in them yesterday, last few miles the shoes nearly killed my feet! Hope the calf is nothing too serious.

I normally only wear them for the faster sessions and I haven't been having any problems although 3 weeks ago I did a 10 mile session and my calves were a bit stiff after. I didn't wear them much since. Going to try and get a physio appt tomorrow and if I have to skip the session on Wed I'll go to Charleville instead of Athlone
    Because she's evolving into an Ultrarunner. :D

It's true :o I just need to get a sub 3 marathon first ;)
    Don't worry CM, all the cool people have calf strains.

It's the new metatarsal......

So it seems :D Hope yours isn't too bad. Good call skipping the lsr this week anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Edit: Will PM you instead.

Good news from the physio. Nothing serious just tightness in the right soleus muscle. Serious pain involved in getting it sorted out though - I had to bite my arm to stop myself jumping off the table (and I have the teeth marks to prove it :D)

• Advertisement

Monday/Tuesday:

Nada. Nothing. Rest days around here are like buses ...... none for ages and then two come along at once :rolleyes: Calf was quite stiff after driving back from the physio so I had it up on a bad of frozen peas for half an hour. Unfortunately that made it worse and I could hardly walk after. Going up and down stairs was not pleasant! So then I got a hot water bottle and after an hour on that it improved. The physio has given me this stretch to do where I stand as far back from the wall as I can and bend my knee forward to touch the wall making sure my heel stays on the ground. On Tuesday morning two centimetres was as far back as I could go but I've progressed to about 2 and a half inches now :D

Wednesday:

8m @ 7:29

with 6 @ HMP: 7:13, 7:11, 7:06, 7:06, 7:07, 7:02

3m c/d @ 11:14

Waited all afternoon to do this because it was so hot. It was still 20 C when I headed out at 6:45p.m but there was a lovely breeze. I would have liked to have brought water with me but it was too much trouble. The HMP miles went well although I was very tempted to stop after 5. The little gremlin in my ear told me that 5 was not quite good enough though. No trouble from the calf during the session but it was a bit tight on the cool down miles. I have an appointment for Friday afternoon with the physio if I need it anyway :D

[/B]Nada. Nothing. Rest days around here are like buses ...... none for ages and then two come along at once :rolleyes:

Ah here, a day off? Pack it in id say! :P I'll reserve judgement on banging out 6 hmp miles after 2 days of a sore calf! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    I'll reserve judgement on banging out 6 hmp miles after 2 days of a sore calf! ;)

Physio gave me his blessing :P

Well actually what he said was "I'd prefer if you didn't run until Thursday but since you're not going to do that, you may do the session on Wed and I'll give you an appointment on Fri in case you feck up your calf again" ......... which is more or less the same thing ;)

Well actually what he said was "I'd prefer if you didn't run until Thursday but since you're not going to do that, you may do the session on Wed and I'll give you an appointment on Fri in case you feck up your calf again" ......... which is more or less the same thing ;)

Classic! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great session CM, I wussed out of that very session tonight due to a tight calf. When's the HM?

• Advertisement
Advertisement