Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Physio gave me his blessing :P

Well actually what he said was "I'd prefer if you didn't run until Thursday but since you're not going to do that, you may do the session on Wed and I'll give you an appointment on Fri in case you feck up your calf again" ......... which is more or less the same thing ;)

Sounds more like the last rites to me...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Physio gave me his blessing :P

Well actually what he said was "I'd prefer if you didn't run until Thursday but since you're not going to do that, you may do the session on Wed and I'll give you an appointment on Fri in case you feck up your calf again" ......... which is more or less the same thing ;)

I genuinely LOL'd at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

And you were put in charge of the novices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Super stuff K with that session - leading by example!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

And you were put in charge of the novices?

I sense a controversy brewing!! There is precedent u know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great session CM, I wussed out of that very session tonight due to a tight calf. When's the HM?

HM is in Athlone Sat week. We're having a boards competition and my partner is very demanding ;):D

Thursday:

4m @ 10:06

Calf was good this morning :D Hamstrings were a bit tight :( Keeping up the calf stretches ..... I'm up to 4 inches now and I stretched the hamstrings a couple of times with a tracksuit bottoms towel

Friday:

5m @ 9:51

Busy day today so was up early to do this. It was freezing and I stupidly was only wearing a t-shirt. D'oh! I wasn't looking at my watch and I thought I was going around 9:20 pace but it's ok that it was slower. Went back to the physio this afternoon because my calf is good but I wanted him to rub out my hamstrings and quads
    because I'm worth it
    Glad I did because my legs feel wonderful now and I'm really looking forward to my measly little 10m lsr. Did I mention how much I'm enjoying my taper?

Saturday:

10m @ 8:28

This was a nice steady paced run for me. No muscle worries and I felt strong enough so happy out

Sunday:

3m @ 10:06

Recovery. Wore the Gel Ds trainers but going to wear the Omni 12 for the HM

Monday:

3m @ 10:00

Supposed to be an easy run but I was a little disappointed with this pace. I didn't particularly want to go any faster but at the same time I thought I should have to slow myself down more

Tuesday:

4m @ 8:07 with 2m @ HMP (7:09, 7:05)

Statss look away now .....

This was not pretty. Thank Jesus today is Tuesday and not Saturday!! Looks ok on paper but the HMP miles felt like 5k pace. I was thinking uh oh when I was struggling on the warm up mile to hit 8:30 pace. First HMP mile was uphill and didn't feel desperately hard but I was breathing a bit heavier than I would have liked. Second mile was into a bit of a head wind but it was a lot tougher than it should have been. I'm pretty wrecked now too so not exactly a session to inspire confidence :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I wouldn't worry about HM pace feeling hard. Main thing is getting yourself to start line fresh and with a spring in your step. I found the minute reps @ 5-10k pace good to sharpen things up without taking too much effort. I'm sure you have planned a nice relaxing rest day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I've been there many times with HMP, sometimes its fine and sometimes its just as you describe...I've a feeling race day will be a different thing altogether for you though ;) Best of luck :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday/Thursday:

Rest - does nothing for me :( Enough said

Friday:

2m @ 7:55

:D:D:D:D

Here K, what the hell were you doing trying a HMP session the week of our major event? :eek::eek: :D (Maybe next time break them up? :pac: )

I expect you to be in bed nice and early tonight, okay? You'll get enough HMP miles in tommorow (at least that's how I've justified not nailing those sessions : I do plenty of them in races!)

statss wrote: »
    Here K, what the hell were you doing trying a HMP session the week of our major event? :eek::eek: :D (Maybe next time break them up? :pac: )

I expect you to be in bed nice and early tonight, okay? You'll get enough HMP miles in tommorow (at least that's how I've justified not nailing those sessions : I do plenty of them in races!)

You pair sound like even more of a couple than Krusty & Kiely!:D

I expect you to be in bed nice and early tonight, okay?
    Sorry Boss :o

Yes Boss ;)
    belcarra wrote: »
    You pair sound like even more of a couple than Krusty & Kiely!:D

Haha. Eyes on the prize belcarra. Eyes. On. The. Prize. :D

Wednesday/Thursday:

Rest - does nothing for me :( Enough said

Friday:

2m @ 7:55

:D:D:D:D
    Two miles in 3 days that shocking CM!

Best of luck tomorrow by the way

13.12m in 1:43:34

The good splits (Miles 1-4): 7:05, 7:08, 7:09, 7:12
    The dodgy splits (Miles 5-6): 7:19, 7:51
    The crap spits (Miles 7-13): 8:23, 8:22, 8:12, 8:28, 8:42, 8:34, 8:11

Training:

Training had gone well. After we did the 25 miles along the Wicklow Way in July I wanted to do some 5k work with the goal of getting a sub 20 but I was still keeping up a decent long run at the weekend. I reckoned I could focus on the 5k for a while and then just switch to HM specific training with 6 weeks to go. It's very difficult to find a HM specific plan so I just made up my own. I had targeted Charleville next week but I switched to Athlone because I think I have a good chance of running sub 20 in Rathfarnham on Sept 29th and the extra week will be a big help. Also with all the boardsies heading to Athlone it looked like fun.

Kara Goucher: "I was doing 15- to 16-mile runs every nine days," she says of the 10K training that earned her a bronze on the track at last summer's world championships. When she decided to step up to the half, she didn't have a lot of time to adjust her training, but she didn't change much, either. Instead, her coach, Alberto Salazar, had her increase one of her longer runs to 17 or 18 miles, and had her do one long tempo run (10 miles).

After reading this I wanted to get at least one 18 miler in and the best stimulus from a long run seems to be after 4-6 weeks so four weeks ago I did a 20miler in Edinburgh. Pace was a bit slow (10:27) but it was hilly so I didn't mind and mile 17 was done at HMP (7:06). I was going to do 2 miles at HMP but I got to the end of the canal after the first one and when I turned back the headwind was too strong so I didn't bother. The next week I did 6m @ MP (8:00) in the middle of a 16m lsr and then 2 weeks ago I did 11m with 2 miles at MP and 1 mile at HMP.

A lot of HM plans have sessions with mile repeats at 10k pace so 3 weeks ago I did the first of the McMillan 10k sessions - 6 x 1m @ 10k pace, because I thought it would make HMP feel a bit more comfortable and I have a 10k targeted in Roscrea on Oct 12th. Then 10 days ago I did 6 miles at HMP (Av pace 7:07) with 2m w/u and 3m c/d. I needed a bit of physio help to get this done as I strained my calf the week before. Thankfully it was great during the session.

The only bad session was the 2m at HMP that I did on Tuesday. It felt like 5k pace and I didn't feel great after it although I thought with 2 days rest and a short run on Friday I'd still be spot on for Saturday. Taper was a nightmare really. I had aches and pains everywhere - different places every hour and my right foot was really uncomfortable for the last week especially in work

The race:

I started off between the 1:30 pacer and the 1:35 pacer. I was maybe a bit further forward than I needed to be because I was yapping to boardsies but when we started I kept a close eye on the pace to make sure I didn't go too fast. I wasn't sure beforehand what pace I should go. 7:15 would get me the 1:34 time I had posted on the Athlone thread but secretly I wanted 1:33 so I was aiming to have splits around the 7:10 mark. I felt comfortable for the first few miles and I was running mostly with a Craughwell A/c lady. Mile 5 was a lot harder. I wanted to stop so much. In desperation I took a gel with caffeine but it tasted vile and all it did was make my hands sticky and my mouth dry. Alarm bells were ringing and I thought I better just try and aim for 7:15 pace. That didn't last long though and when mile 6 was slower I gave up and jogged home. Even that was an effort.

The post-mortem:

I don't think the pace for the first couple of miles was an issue. The training I had done indicated that I was capable of 1:33 and if I had to run the race again I would do the same thing. My heart rate has been slightly higher for the last 2 days (48 v 43) but I don't feel sick at all so its hard to say if that's significant or not. I was a bit tearful for a minute at the finish. Bit stupid really, it's not like 1:43 was a big surprise to me and I had 7 miles to reconcile myself to failure. Sometimes it's hard when everyone else does so well though. Thanks to Marthastew for her yummy rice krispie bun ..... it helped to ease the pain :D Plan now is to jog around Charleville next week and enjoy the feed after. Then 19:xx is mine in Rathfarnham :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)

Btw that doesn't look like failure to me but that's just my opinion.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)

Btw that doesn't look like failure to me but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks it's all relative I guess

That's a shame for you CM, maybe there was something in your system when you struggled on Tuesday. Might nit gave fully come out yet.

Any reason why you took two rest days during the week bot saying this was the reason for today just curious

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    That's a shame for you CM, maybe there was something in your system when you struggled on Tuesday. Might nit gave fully come out yet.

Any reason why you took two rest days during the week bot saying this was the reason for today just curious
    It was the same as I did when I tapered for Limerick and the half marathon plans I looked at had similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bad luck CM, by the sounds of that and the trouble you had with the HM session during the week I'd say something isn't right. It can take time for a bug or something to show up in your system. Just chalk it down to experience for now and focus on Rathfarnham, really go for it at that one, it's a fast course and you'll get 19 minutes there no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

+1 to that. I had a horrible session 10 days ago and only realised I was I'll afterwards. Today I still had some symptoms but was fine to run.

And some days you have a bad day for no reason at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Bad luck CM - just one of those days for you - you'll come back stronger from this.. Nice to chat to you after the race too - sorry I had to dash off - had to console my mate who had a day like yours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just one of those days cm as I said earlier. Just knock it on the head and move on...we all know you're capable of the 83 time and it will come. When it does it will be all the sweeter. It will be much better to beat belcarra to the sub 20 anyway.

the pressure got to both of us I think! Nah seriously, sorry to hear that, it's hard to explain when these things happen. Worse thing to do is over analyse and let it effect your confidence. Move on and get stuck into next week's plan with renewed gusto.

Might see you down in Rathfarnam hopefully, think I might nip down and try a sub 20 myself, it's only down the road.

• Advertisement

the pressure got to both of us I think! Nah seriously, sorry to hear that, it's hard to explain when these things happen. Worse thing to do is over analyse and let it effect your confidence. Move on and get stuck into next week's plan with renewed gusto.

Might see you down in Rathfarnam hopefully, think I might nip down and try a sub 20 myself, it's only down the road.

Ya these things happen. It's not the end of the world.

I'll keep a look out for The Hair on the 29th :D

blockic wrote: »
    It will be much better to beat belcarra to the sub 20 anyway.

True. I'm looking forward to that alright ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Jaysus - if ever anyone needed a hug after a race it was you today. Write it off.

Get back on that horse (to anyone else that would be a metaphor :D ) and get ready for the biggie.
    you know you are better than that.

Jaysus - if ever anyone needed a hug after a race it was you today. Write it off.

Get back on that horse (to anyone else that would be a metaphor :D ) and get ready for the biggie.
    you know you are better than that.
    Thanks RK. It was good seeing you again. I'm glad your girls won :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Tough luck CM, absolute freak result its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

One of them days K. Everyone has them. You train hard and do all you can and sometimes its just one of them days....happens to the best of 'em.....the next day you'll smash it and wonder what was so different.

"Jogging" a 1:43 is a nice bad day to have btw:).

Tough luck CM, absolute freak result its that simple.
    upthe19th wrote: »
    One of them days K. Everyone has them. You train hard and do all you can and sometimes its just one of them days....happens to the best of 'em.....the next day you'll smash it and wonder what was so different.

"Jogging" a 1:43 is a nice bad day to have btw:).

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Hard luck CM, bottle the frustration and unleash it in Rathfarnham for the deserved sub 20! You'll nail it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi CM sorry to hear yesterday didn't go so well for you. But as far as race performances go that was probably just one ugly stone in a bucket-full of diamonds for you over the last year.

I'm sure we'll be reading here soon about more gems you will no doubt produce.;);)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear you had a bad day CM. These aren't the days that show what you're capable of...had days like that myself (too many) so feel your pain. Sometimes when you're not 100% you might feel ok in general but when you try to race your body just says no.

No reason why you can't run 93 minutes based on your training. Next time....

True. I'm looking forward to that alright ;):D

Looks like I'll have to hunt down a parkrun quickly!

belcarra wrote: »
    Looks like I'll have to hunt down a parkrun quickly!
    Haha :D Ya might be embarrassing for you alright :D

I'd hate to be responsible for messing up your Chicago plans though :eek:

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi CM sorry to hear yesterday didn't go so well for you. But as far as race performances go that was probably just one ugly stone in a bucket-full of diamonds for you over the last year.

I'm sure we'll be reading here soon about more gems you will no doubt produce.;);)
    Oooh I like that thanks :D
    Sorry to hear you had a bad day CM. These aren't the days that show what you're capable of...had days like that myself (too many) so feel your pain. Sometimes when you're not 100% you might feel ok in general but when you try to race your body just says no.

No reason why you can't run 93 minutes based on your training. Next time....
    Thanks. Ya I think I'm going to go with that as the official excuse ;)

5m @ 9:23

So this was funny. I was motoring down the road at 8:30 pace thinking :eek: I should not be feeling this fresh today, then I turned the corner and bam the wind smacked me in the face and order was restored :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

5m @ 9:23

So this was funny. I was motoring down the road at 8:30 pace thinking :eek: I should not be feeling this fresh today, then I turned the corner and bam the wind smacked me in the face and order was restored :D

Oh Yes, I've fallen victim to this sooooo many times and I still never learn. Worst culprit is along the Canal which ends up acting like a wind tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks. Ya I think I'm going to go with that as the official excuse ;)

Sometimes they're reasons, not excuses.

Geez K that was not the report I was expecting...as everyone else has said we know you're well capable of the target. Remembering yesterday will no doubt give you the fuel to tear it up in Rathfarnam :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry to hear the race didn’t go to plan. Sometimes races just bite you in the ass for no reason, but it does sound like you might not be 100%. Just forget about it and put it behind you, you know yourself that that result is not indicative of where you are at the moment. Hopefully Rathfarnham will you to plan for you and get you back on track.

4m @ 8:36

Feeling good, just a small bit of tightness in my glutes. Need to foam roll that later and stretch my hamstrings and calves. I'm thinking if I feel like it on Sunday morning and my heart rate is under 45 I'm going to race Charleville :D There's very few half marathons around and if I feel good the week after I'll enter Rathfarnham and if I don't I can do the parkrun in Lucan :D

Feeling good, just a small bit of tightness in my glutes. Need to foam roll that later and stretch my hamstrings and calves. I'm thinking if I feel like it on Sunday morning and my heart rate is under 45 I'm going to race Charleville :D There's very few half marathons around and if I feel good the week after I'll enter Rathfarnham and if I don't I can do the parkrun in Lucan :D

Thought you might be tempted in charleville. Not a bad race to have as a backup from what is said about it. Hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

That sounds like a great idea C_M, Charleville won't know what hit it!

Haha I had a feeling you would do this - best of luck if you do race, you deserve an Athlone-a$$-kicking race :D

Let me get this straight, you are racing another half this weekend? Fair play. (I've been thinking of doing the same myself)

Are you going to adopt a different strategy to Athlone, what's the game plan? :)

Let me get this straight, you are racing another half this weekend? Fair play. (I've been thinking of doing the same myself)

Are you going to adopt a different strategy to Athlone, what's the game plan? :)
    If I race it (and it's looking likely that I will because RHR is down to 43 again) game plan is going to be the same. Go out at 7:10 pace, even splits all the way, finish 1:33:xx :D

If I was you I wouldn't race another half. I jogged the last 7 miles so it was pretty much just a long tempo session followed by a long cool down. Whereas you ran hard all the way and you have a big goal race in October!!

• Advertisement

If I race it (and it's looking likely that I will because RHR is down to 43 again) game plan is going to be the same. Go out at 7:10 pace, even splits all the way, finish 1:33:xx :D

If I was you I wouldn't race another half. I jogged the last 7 miles so it was pretty much just a long tempo session. Whereas you ran hard all the way and you have a big goal race in October!!

I know, I know! I'm not going to do anything silly, I'll be getting through this weeks sessions in full, no taper. Saturday is 14 @ MP....I can just see myself wanting to race it when I turn up so I'll see. Ive no self control.

Good luck at the weekend, looking forward to the report.

Advertisement