Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck CM I think your 100% right to race Sun. Sat was just one of those bad days for you that we all unfortunately get at some stage. I've no doubt you will smash it :D looking forward to race report! WOW with the HR btw, mine is always near the 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

6m @ 8:35

Easy peasy :D Didn't do any stretching yesterday (bad girl!!) but made up for it tonight.

Morning woes

Messed up my porridge this morn
    by adding too much milk.
    Semi-skimmed not whole.
    So then I overcooked it,
    and it ended up like gruel

....true story ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Morning woes

Messed up my porridge this morn
    by adding too much milk.
    Semi-skimmed not whole.
    So then I overcooked it,
    and it ended up like gruel

....true story ;)

OMG, you're a cereal killer! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Aimman wrote: »
    OMG, you're a cereal killer! :eek:

:D another classic

Wednesday:

Rest - couldn't be bothered running and instead of saying to myself you need to run because......

......I said to myself you've run close to 1000 miles since Bohermeen and on paper you're 7 minutes slower but realistically on a good day you might run 3 minutes faster. Go back to bed

Thursday:

Plan:
    4m with 2m @ HMP (7:10)

Actual:
    1m w/u @ 9:03
    2m @ 7:39,7:31
    1m c/d @ 9:03

The first HMP mile was uphill and into the wind but it was still pathetic. I said I might as well keep going because this is not a failed HMP session it's a 15min slow tempo and tempos are good training for 5k races, right?! I knew I wasn't in brilliant form this morning and I could have done strides but there's no point fooling myself thinking I'm going to race Charleville so it's back to plan C

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Rest - couldn't be bothered running and instead of saying to myself you need to run because......

......I said to myself you've run close to 1000 miles since Bohermeen and on paper you're 7 minutes slower but realistically on a good day you might run 3 minutes faster. Go back to bed

Thursday:

Plan:
    4m with 2m @ HMP (7:10)

Actual:
    1m w/u @ 9:03
    2m @ 7:39,7:31
    1m c/d @ 9:03

The first HMP mile was uphill and into the wind but it was still pathetic. I said I might as well keep going because this is not a failed HMP session it's a 15min tempo and tempos are good training for 5k races, right?! I knew I wasn't in brilliant form this morning and I could have done strides but there's no point fooling myself thinking I'm going to race Charleville so it's back to plan C

Chin up CM or I'll have Gavlor come over and give you one of his motivational speeches..........:D

Chin up CM or I'll have Gavlor come over and give you one of his motivational speeches..........:D
    Jaysus no .... :D happy face is on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Jaysus no .... :D happy face is on!!

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." - Michael Jordan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

there's no point fooling myself thinking I'm going to race Charleville so it's back to plan C
    I didn’t like to say it before, but I think it’s usually not a good idea to try and ‘right a wrong’ in a race so soon after the bad race. More often than not, your legs are still a bit tired and the issues that caused the bad race are unlikely to have magically cured in the space of one week. What ends up happening then is you have another bad race and that can really affect the confidence.

I think it’s a much better plan to not flat out race Charleville and aim for the 5K as per the original plan. Maybe you could aim for something like Waterford HM to wreck revenge on Athlone.

To be honest, it sounds to me like you’re not at full fettle, it doesn’t seem like you to struggle to get out of bed for a run. Even a low grade cold can effect your running. So don’t be hard on yourself, give yourself plenty of time to recover and you’ll be back ripping up races before you know it!

Best of luck tomorrow K, hope the weather isn't as humid tomorrow, it was brutal down here today.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow K, hope the weather isn't as humid tomorrow, it was brutal down here today.

+1

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks Niamh but I'm not running. I've only run 18 miles this week but somehow have managed to strain my ITB ..... I think my body is trying to tell me to p!ss off :D

Ah sh!t, that's crap. Sorry to hear that. You're having a rough old week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

+1^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks Niamh but I'm not running. I've only run 18 miles this week but somehow have managed to strain my ITB ..... I think my body is trying to tell me to p!ss off :D

Bad luck K but great sense in listening to the body, enjoy the rest...chocolate surely will help ;)

Sorry to hear that CM, +1 on chocolate :D

Friday:

4m @ 9:05

I probably should have done this a small bit slower (my recovery runs usually are) but I felt grand and time was a bit tight because I was heading to Listowel

Saturday:

4m @ 10:06

This is where the wheels fell off. My knee was a bit uncomfortable for the first mile and quite sore for the second. The last two miles no pain but then for the rest of the day it was annoying me so Charleville plan D was implemented.

Sunday:

REST

Knee feels much better today. The exercises the physio gave me always improve it so I need to keep doing these regularly instead of when it's a problem. I was going to run today but it would probably be of more benefit to rest. In fact I'm going to make myself take 2 rest days a week from now on. Maybe ;)
    Thanks to everyone for the nice messages about Charleville. I would have liked to have done it because we used to live near there but it would have meant leaving around 6 a.m and a long drive so not too hard to pass up on it. Hopefully I'll get to Rathfarnham next Sunday. My RHR is remaining stubbornly high and I don't want to do a session unless it's back below 44. I'm not going to do the 5k unless I have a realistic chance of going sub 20 because I have a local 10k on Oct 12th that I want to run well in

Rest days ftw ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Rest days ftw ;)

ftw = for the weak? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I reckon it was that rest day you a couple of weeks ago that messed things up on you!

At least one rest day a week would probably be a help for you since you would do alot of your runs in the morning. you just need to feel the love for running again

• Advertisement

Monday:

4m @ 9:19

Tuesday:

a.m 3m @ 9:22

p.m 4m @ 9:25

The comeback continues ..... slowly! I was going to do a 5k session today but I had a runny nose this morning and I was sneezing so I'm going to do it tomorrow instead. RHR is back down to 43. Knee is improved but I still get the odd twinge now and again so I'm keeping at the exercises 2 or 3 times a day. I'm stretching my calves a bit too.

I have a choice between 3 sessions tomorrow:

a) 12 x 400m @ 6:25 with 45 secs recovery

b) 6 x (400m @ 6:25 + 800m @ 7:15) no recovery

c) 1.5 mile @ 7:05 3min rec, 1 mile @ 6:35 3min rec, 800m @ 6:25 3min rec, 2 x 200m sprint walk back rec

Haven't done b previously so thinking race week might not be the time to experiment. Leaning towards c at the moment

Are you racing this weekend?

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Are you racing this weekend?
    Yes Rathfarnham 5k if the session goes well tomorrow and RHR remains 43/44 :D

I would pick c, looks right kind of session to getthe confidence back

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I would pick c, looks right kind of session to getthe confidence back

+1

If it were me, I'd also throw in an additional 8 miles afterwards. :)

+1

Dont mind him, I reckon his coach could have him walk the plank if he doesn't behave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yes Rathfarnham 5k if the session goes well tomorrow and RHR remains 43/44 :D

St Annes (Raheny) first Parkrun on Saturday, a day before Rathfarnham.
    Just saying in case you need advance notice!!:pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    St Annes (Raheny) first Parkrun on Saturday, a day before Rathfarnham.
    Just saying in case you need advance notice!!:pac:
    Haha :D After today's effort I don't think you've too much to worry about.

|26/7/13|8/8/13|25/9/13
    1m warm up|8:47|8:42|8:49
    1.5m @ currrent 5k pace + 30sec|7:15, 7:09|7:04, 6:59|6:55, 6:49
    1m @ current 5k pace| 6:35|6:34|6:54
    800m @ goal 5k pace| 6:22|6:22|6:29
    2 x 200m flat out|36, 37|36, 36|38,38

This was crap. Couldn't hit the paces. Stupid crappy body :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

+1

With 15 of them at MP :pac::D;):eek::pac:

Has your training really been a bit of a mish mash between marathon & 5k stuff or have you been doing more Marathon stuff.
    What progression in 5k splits would you have expected to see given your training?

How did you feel during the session? Is it more mental or physiological??

Have you had bloods done recently?

Has your training really been a bit of a mish mash between marathon & 5k stuff or have you been doing more Marathon stuff.
    What progression in 5k splits would you have expected to see given your training?

How did you feel during the session? Is it more mental or physiological??

I haven't been doing any marathon stuff since Limerick. I'm not doing a marathon for the foreseeable future. 3 weeks after Limerick I did an 8k race (33:24 6:46 pace). Then I was going to do the 50k in Portumna but I was showing signs of overtraining so I scrapped that. When I started up again in June I was focussing on 5k training and I did two 5k races the best was in August (20:27 6:34 pace). 6 weeks before Athlone I switched to HM focussed training and I did a really good session 10 days before it (6m @HMP) Since then it's been all downhill. I would have expected that I would be at least able to match the paces I did the last time I did that 5k session in August. I know the first ones are faster but that's not because I was finding it easy. It's because when I looked at my watch after half a mile I was at 7:40 pace and I had to work hard to get back on pace and then there was a downhill bit. RHR is up to 46 this morning. Not ideal but I didn't think it was a big deal. I was a bit concerned when the warm up was a bit of an effort to stay under 9m/m. I don't think it's mental. I know I can do this session at these paces. I've done it before. My legs felt good all the time even on the cool down there wasn't a single complaint out of them. I found my breathing was a bit more labored at the faster paces than it should have been. For the mile rep I started a shade too fast, slowed in the middle but a bit too much to 6:40 pace but then when I tried to pick it up again I was breathing like I'd just finished an all out sprint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

+1 get the bloods checked, probably just low in something or other.

Showing my vast medical knowledge there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »

That's the first thing I thought too; otherwise it just doesn't make any sense...

Running for 472 consecutive days may have also had an effect

Just sayin ;)

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Running for 472 consecutive days may have also had an effect

Just sayin ;)

:P
    Ironically I was running much better when I was in the middle of my 11wk running streak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

:P
    Ironically I was running much better when I was in the middle of my 11wk running streak

+1
    Have to say I am the same I always feel worse for a day off just sensible to have active recovery days instead (Took me months to aim to try and run 2 min per mile slower than easy pace:D)

ecoli wrote: »
    +1
    Have to say I am the same I always feel worse for a day off just sensible to have active recovery days instead (Took me months to aim to try and run 2 min per mile slower than easy pace:D)

Slow running is not a problem for me ;):D

CM def get the bloods done, I think everyone should once a year anyways. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

*Warning, more possibly unwanted advice approaching!!*

I sounds to me CM like the tank is just running a bit low. You've done a lot of running this year and a lot of sessions. While consistency is important, taking a break when your body needs it is equally important (this is something I've only realised recently). It's hard to stay race sharp all year round, and think this is your body screaming for a bit of a break. I was forced through injury to take a break during the summer when I strained my calf and caught a chest infection at the same time. All though I wasn't happy about not running, since then I've spent over 10 weeks building a base and increasing my mileage, with the first few weeks consisting of just steady running, no sessions at all. I then introduced the occasional tempo session and am only now back to doing one session a week. It is the best thing I've ever done, I think I am in the best shape I've ever been in and I've never felt stronger.

Long story short, moral of the story and all that: you're body needs time to rest, sometimes we need to heed the warning sings!

Also I take one day a week off every week, seems to keep my mind fresh knowing I have one day a week where I don't have to worry about running!

• Advertisement

Showing my vast medical knowledge there! ;)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    That's the first thing I thought too; otherwise it just doesn't make any sense...
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    CM def get the bloods done, I think everyone should once a year anyways. Best of luck with it.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    *Warning, more possibly unwanted advice approaching!!*

I sounds to me CM like the tank is just running a bit low. You've done a lot of running this year and a lot of sessions. While consistency is important, taking a break when your body needs it is equally important (this is something I've only realised recently). It's hard to stay race sharp all year round, and think this is your body screaming for a bit of a break. I was forced through injury to take a break during the summer when I strained my calf and caught a chest infection at the same time. All though I wasn't happy about not running, since then I've spent over 10 weeks building a base and increasing my mileage, with the first few weeks consisting of just steady running, no sessions at all. I then introduced the occasional tempo session and am only now back to doing one session a week. It is the best thing I've ever done, I think I am in the best shape I've ever been in and I've never felt stronger.

Long story short, moral of the story and all that: you're body needs time to rest, sometimes we need to heed the warning sings!

Also I take one day a week off every week, seems to keep my mind fresh knowing I have one day a week where I don't have to worry about running!

Thanks for all the advice :) It's good to get other people's opinions because it's hard to always be objective about your own training. Having said that I don't think I'm training particularly hard even if I run 7 days a week every week. I run on my own and I do a lot of easy and recovery days. Even in sessions I don't have a problem taking the foot of the gas if I'm feeling too much pressure. Also my life is pretty stress-free. I don't have kids/husband and I only work part-time so it's easy to fit runs in during the day.

Re. getting my bloods checked. I'm not going to do that just now because I don't think they'd show any abnormalities. I feel great at the moment - loads of energy, no aches or pains. I just can't seem to hit the faster paces in training. I'm going to work on the assumption that I had a low grade viral infection and it's going to take a couple more weeks to get my form back. If I'm still struggling then I will reconsider

@ pconn062 - I will take your advice on board and take more rest days. I promise :D

Although I entered Rathfarnham this morning :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

K, a friendly suggestion, perhaps get a Vo2max test done? They test your blood & iron levels, body measurements etc as part of it. Kills two birds with one stone : you end up with confirmation of no blood/iron issues and you walk away nice shiny personalized HR zones to help with future training goals.

statss wrote: »
    K, a friendly suggestion, perhaps get a Vo2max test done? They test your blood & iron levels, body measurements etc as part of it. Kills two birds with one stone : you end up with confirmation of no blood/iron issues and you walk away nice shiny personalized HR zones to help with future training goals.

Statss where can one get a VO2 max test if your not in Dublin do you know? I'd love to get one done. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Statss where can one get a VO2 max test if your not in Dublin do you know? I'd love to get one done. Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know outside Dublin, mine was done in Trinity College. I would imagine the Sports Science department of the closest University to you might do them.

Cheers will look into it after DCM

Thursday:

4m @ 10:13

Recovery run after session yesterday. No problems. RHR 40

Friday:

REST

Did my calf/ITB exercises and some yoga. Other than that I've done nothing productive today :o

Retail therapy was required so I ordered Jack Daniels book from Amazon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I learn a lot from your log K, your training is amazing. The best tip has definitely been taking RHR. Mine should be low 40's but gets up to high 40's when I'm sick or over-doing things. Great wee tip to keep track of things. I think this is where our similarities end - your going all hardcore with talk of Jack Daniels - best of luck with that one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Retail therapy was required so I ordered Jack Daniels....

Thought you had turned to drink for a second! :pac:

Runchick wrote: »
    your going all hardcore with talk of Jack Daniels - best of luck with that one :P

From the novices thread:
    pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm following JD's plan ...... I got bored of reading the book and skipped straight to the training plans
    ecoli wrote: »
    I reckon Daniels could have saved himself a lot of time and paper in that book given about 70% of people do the exact same thing :D

I'm going to be one of those nerdy people that read the book but don't follow the plans ;):D
    Thought you had turned to drink for a second! :pac:

I may wait till I run a few more crap races for that :D

Runchick wrote: »
    I learn a lot from your log K, your training is amazing. The best tip has definitely been taking RHR. Mine should be low 40's but gets up to high 40's when I'm sick or over-doing things. Great wee tip to keep track of things.

I'm the same as you can see from this graph

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dwQPVoHqcRb48kpQee5vFHiSl3L9TcRBHPpVBRBjjCo/edit

3 major peaks:
    First - when I was sick in Jan before Dungarvan
    Second - overtraining in Jun
    Third - whatever was wrong with me mid Sept

• Advertisement
Advertisement